INDIA - MALDIVES Relations

Covfefe

Country flag
We have 15% of the tourists, even if each and everyone cancels it (Which is unlikely) they would still survive.
From an economic perspective, there's much more than tourists - SBI has subscribed to their sovereign bonds so that their country doesn't go to shitter. Medicine, Grocery - all supplied majorly by India.

Second, you don't make an enemy out of your only neighbouring ally, especially when you're literally half a dozen of measurable atolls in the middle of Indian Ocean. Tourists cancelling is just lack of carrot, a motivated India can bring up the stick very well (through all range of economic, military and 'other' means). A motivated intelligence agency fucked up a nation because they wouldn't let Marlboro set up their business there

hurrians

Country flag

Atavistic

Country flag
Let me tell you Modi did the same when he was CM and Gujarati Kids would go to Karnataka for Engineering, Pharmacy and Medical Education post 12th grade and pay significant more fees.. He facilitated many self financed colleges in Gujarat so the kids do not have to go to some other state....
Same thing with tourism, he developed gujarat as a tourism destination with rann utsav, kite festival, etc etc.

Maldives tu to gayo !
I'm living in Bangalore for 3 yrs now. I've observed significant spike in gujarati migrants in my neighborhood. Earlier events like garba nights used to happen at few selected places. Now its almost everywhere. A newly build residential tower in my neighborhood have maximum gujarati home owners. So i don't think efforts of CM Modi has stopped gujaratis to move out even 1%.

Master Chief

Country flag
Don't know which poster was it but the whole Gujju University thing is a wrong analogy, not going to Mullahdives hut on stilts resorts, taking photos in bikini and putting on Insta doesnt mean the person will die and cannot be compared to the necessity of getting an education/qualifications.

Lakshadweep can be an ILP jannat hostile to tourists, but on our end the GoI has a lot of options to discourage Tourism to that country and said tourists can be redirected to A&N islands which are bigger, or any friendly country like Thailand or Mauritius.

We are 1.4 billion strong, 7th largest in the world by area and $4 trillion economy packing nation with 3rd largest armed forces in the world, better start acting like it.
GOI can act on 2 prongs..

1. Heavily invest in Lakshadweep Andaman etc.. catering to both luxury and budget tourists.. to attract some of the foreign tourists going to Maldives.. Stopping Indian tourists can be done with just an executive decision..

2. Negative Prong.. India can create law and order problems in Maldives, as well as magnify the usual incidents of crime on tourists in Maldives, and amplify the message across social media consistently...

Master Chief

Country flag

Shyam kaka has a resort not too far away from gan/addu atoll.
Maybe ascertaining whether Muizzu doesn't promise some PLA Base or Station near Deigo Garcia

Master Chief

Country flag
Let me tell you Modi did the same when he was CM and Gujarati Kids would go to Karnataka for Engineering, Pharmacy and Medical Education post 12th grade and pay significant more fees.. He facilitated many self financed colleges in Gujarat so the kids do not have to go to some other state....
Same thing with tourism, he developed gujarat as a tourism destination with rann utsav, kite festival, etc etc.

Maldives tu to gayo !
Why does Gujarat have only 67 percent SSC pass rate..That's very low

MrPresident

Country flag
It's not the aam Junta I am talking about.. but what might happen, if Maldives wants India out in all spheres.. and GOI retaliated in kind, with sustained hostility..
Maldives is too far away from any major power, other than India, and is far too exposed if GOI starts treating it like it did East Pakistan in the run up to 1971 war..
Maldives is not a diversified economy like India.. They are very dependent one Industry of tourism..They are vulnerable
No doubt they are vulnerable but never seen India burn the bridges completely. We always leave a door open for diplomacy even with small a nation as Maldives.
Lakshadweep can be an ILP jannat hostile to tourists, but on our end the GoI has a lot of options to discourage Tourism to that country and said tourists can be redirected to A&N islands which are bigger, or any friendly country like Thailand or Mauritius.
That is my point, we have to improve our Infra big time, really would be great if we can do that. Discouraging tourism in their country should be least of our worry. If we develop infra people will automatically choose Andaman instead of expensive shit.

shade

Country flag

The Maldives Association of Tourism Industry (MATI) on Monday said it "strongly condemns the derogatory comments made by some Deputy Ministers on social media platforms" as India-Maldives row erupted over Lakshadweep.

"The Maldives Association of Tourism Industry strongly condemns the derogatory comments made by some Deputy Ministers on social media platforms, directed towards the Prime Minister of India, His Excellency Narendra Modi as well as the people of India. India is one of our closest neighbours and allies. India has always been a first responder to various crises throughout our history and we are immensely grateful to the close relationship that the Government as well as people of India have maintained with us," said MATI in a statement.

shade

Country flag

Some diplomatese from their FM

After the derogatory remarks made by Maldivian ministers against Prime Minister Narendra Modi and India on social media, Maldives Minister of Foreign Affairs Moosa Zameer said that these remarks against foreign leaders are "unacceptable" and do not reflect the official position of the Maldives government.

He stated that the Maldives remains committed to fostering a "positive and constructive dialogue" with all its partners, particularly its neighbours.

In a post shared on X, Moosa Zameer stated, "The recent remarks against foreign leaders and our close neighbours are unacceptable and do not reflect the official position of the Government of #Maldives. We remain committed to fostering a positive and constructive dialogue with all our partners, especially our neighbours, based on mutual respect and understanding."

shade

Country flag
Maybe ascertaining whether Muizzu doesn't promise some PLA Base or Station near Deigo Garcia
The US gave $500 million in aid bucks to Nepal
since then Oli is permanently BTFO gay marriage is legal and Nepal has banned it's folks from going to Russia and Ukraine to fight for Putin like the mercenaries they are.
This also means the door is closed for us in Nepal, we simply got outpriced.

What's not to say the same is happening here?

Varoon2

Country flag
Maldives doesn't acknowledge Hindus or Hinduism. India should bring this issue up.

karn

Country flag
IMO .. we have already spent more mindspace on these irrelevant sea pigs than required. Mango people are aware and that's all that's required to atleast not spend their hard earned cash on these pigs that hate them .
All that's required is for the sea pigs to know that if there are cheen military on their territory they will get bombed first in a shooting war .
Other than that lets move on.
Goa hotels earn more money than all of jhaantistans exports ..leave alone these sea pigs .
We need to have better opponents honestly.

Last edited:

Bappa Rawal

Country flag
I'm living in Bangalore for 3 yrs now. I've observed significant spike in gujarati migrants in my neighborhood. Earlier events like garba nights used to happen at few selected places. Now its almost everywhere. A newly build residential tower in my neighborhood have maximum gujarati home owners. So i don't think efforts of CM Modi has stopped gujaratis to move out even 1%.
The demand matches the supply..

Indrajit

Country flag
Maldives made a mess of things. Forget all this talk of boycott etc...those are not important or relevant over the medium term even, let alone the long term. What is important is that a message has gone out to the Maldivian leadership that India can ratchet up some pain. Even more importantly, thanks to the foolish loose tongues of Maldivian officials, they are the ones on the back foot. Earlier India would have been accused of being a bully and anti democratic etc against the current government, now its the Maldivians trying to firefight. No sympathy for them from anywhere.

Very amateurish.

Master Chief

Country flag
The US gave $500 million in aid bucks to Nepal
since then Oli is permanently BTFO gay marriage is legal and Nepal has banned it's folks from going to Russia and Ukraine to fight for Putin like the mercenaries they are.
This also means the door is closed for us in Nepal, we simply got outpriced.

What's not to say the same is happening here?
Door is never closed for us in Nepal.. Tibet is a desert, and India is the biggest source of remittance , trade, essential goods, first respondents to any catastrophe.. US will get some services as per the money rolled out.. but can never exert the sort of all pervasive influence that India exerts simply because of Geography.. It's similar to Mongolia.. Whatever antics the US does, it simply cannot compete with Chinese influence,.simply because of geography... Although, Maldives is in a better position than landlocked Nepal or Mongolia..
India will always be a major presence in Maldives [whether in a good or bad way ].. America can dilute some of Indian influence And if America has its way, I would welcome Maldivians becoming Homo loving liberals than Hindu Hating Jihadis.. :)

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles