Ideas on a ship-sub combo - Discussion

Tridev123

Country flag
Is there any concept of a semi submersible ship floating around.
An outlandish idea. Maybe not practical at all.
Basically an warship which can transform itself into a submarine capable of operating at very shallow depths. Let's say capable of travelling at depths of 25 to 50 meters under the sea surface.

All the equipment on the deck can be covered by water proof sliding doors which can withstand at least 50 metres depth of water pressure. (it will be actually very complex technology, not easy)

Only advantage of the concept is that it cannot be visually detected by enemy aircraft or ships. Of course the usual anti submarine devices like the Magnetic Anamoly Detector etc can be used to find it.

It can probably travel submerged till it comes closer to the enemy shores or any type of enemy target, then surface with the sliding doors withdrawn and then perform as an normal surface warship.

This idea has been presented in a very very simple way. In reality the technologies involved will be very advanced and complex.

Its cost will be very high. Are its benefits worth the costs involved.

One fact is that since it will submerge to only about 25 to 50 meters below the sea surface it need not be as difficult to build as a proper submarine which should be able to submerge 300 metres plus.

This is only for academic discussion purposes.
Probably the cost - benefit ratio will not allow it to be viable.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Is there any concept of a semi submersible ship floating around.
An outlandish idea. Maybe not practical at all.
Basically an warship which can transform itself into a submarine capable of operating at very shallow depths. Let's say capable of travelling at depths of 25 to 50 meters under the sea surface.

All the equipment on the deck can be covered by water proof sliding doors which can withstand at least 50 metres depth of water pressure. (it will be actually very complex technology, not easy)

Only advantage of the concept is that it cannot be visually detected by enemy aircraft or ships. Of course the usual anti submarine devices like the Magnetic Anamoly Detector etc can be used to find it.

It can probably travel submerged till it comes closer to the enemy shores or any type of enemy target, then surface with the sliding doors withdrawn and then perform as an normal surface warship.

This idea has been presented in a very very simple way. In reality the technologies involved will be very advanced and complex.

Its cost will be very high. Are its benefits worth the costs involved.

One fact is that since it will submerge to only about 25 to 50 meters below the sea surface it need not be as difficult to build as a proper submarine which should be able to submerge 300 metres plus.

This is only for academic discussion purposes.
Probably the cost - benefit ratio will not allow it to be viable.
you are describing nautilus from jules vernes's twenty thousand leagues under the sea?

Tridev123

Country flag
you are describing nautilus from jules vernes's twenty thousand leagues under the sea?
Well, I may have read that pictorial story.
Can't recollect. Long time ago.
But trying to shape new technologies from old ideas is not an practice fully extinct.
I believe researchers in the US are trying to make better submarines by studying how sharks and other aquatic animals move easily through water.

My question was - is the concept even remotely relevant in today's world.

Who would have thought 100 years ago that jet pack strapped humans will fly on earth like a bird.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Well, I may have read that pictorial story.
Can't recollect. Long time ago.
But trying to shape new technologies from old ideas is not an practice fully extinct.
I believe researchers in the US are trying to make better submarines by studying how sharks and other aquatic animals move easily through water.

Who would have thought 100 years ago that jet pack strapped humans will fly on earth like a bird.
don't get me wrong, i was thinking on these lines many years ago. that's how i found out about those drug running "submersibles" of colombian drug lords. those drug lords had the most incentive to innovate, and they couldn't innovate beyond a design threshold.

Tridev123

Country flag
don't get me wrong, i was thinking on these lines many years ago. that's how i found out about those drug running "submersibles" of colombian drug lords. those drug lords had the most incentive to innovate, and they couldn't innovate beyond a design threshold.

Yes, I have also come across such reports.
But those quasi subs were never designed to surface and act like a normal surface ship. They would have surfaced only at the drugs delivery point.

I was trying to combine the qualities of a submarine and a surface ship.
Now a surface ship has certain advantages.
An Radar and SAM defence shield, large numbers of Anti ship missiles, an main Naval gun of decent calibre for engaging small sea targets and shore targets, even short/medium range ballistic missiles, land attack cruise missiles, drones etc. In other words more heavily armed than submarines. They bring more firepower to bear.

Well, it is a only an idea. You are free to be disagree.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles