"Go To Pakistan Border, Won't Give Land In South Mumbai": Nitin Gadkari Tells Navy

SELVAM

"Go To Pakistan Border, Won't Give Land In South Mumbai": Nitin Gadkari Tells Navy

Mumbai: Accusing the Indian Navy of "holding up developmental projects" in India's financial capital, Union minister Nitin Gadkari today said he would not give them an "inch of land" in the posh south Mumbai area. In presence of senior naval officials, including the Chief of Western Command, at a function in Mumbai, Mr Gadkari said, "We are the government. The Navy and the defence ministry are not the government".

The outburst of Mr Gadkari, who has Shipping and Water Resources among his portfolio bouquet, came after the Navy refused permission for a jetty to launch seaplane services and a floatel on grounds of security. Citing the Navy's decision, the Bombay high court also turned down the operator's appeal.

The Navy, Mr Gadkari said in his address, "came to me seeking a plot of land... I will not give them even an inch of land, please don't come again... Everyone wants to build quarters and flats on south Mumbai's prime land. We do respect you (Navy), but you should go to the Pakistan border and do patrolling."

Everybody, he said, wants to build quarters in south Mumbai's prime land, but only a few important, senior officials should live there.

Senior officers, including Western Naval Command chief Vice Admiral Girish Luthra, were present at the programme where Mr Gadkari was laying the foundation stone for an international Miami-style cruise terminal.

The blow to the ferry project is a bump in the Narendra Modi government's plan to optimize the country's waterways in view of the cramped land routes and the high cost of expanding them. During the Gujarat elections, Prime Minister Narendra Modi had unveiled the government's plans on this front before he famously took off from Sabarmati river on a sea plane.

Mr Gadkari today said the government plans to bring 10,000 seaplanes into operation in the country over the next two years.

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/go-...mp=1&akamai-rum=off&__twitter_impression=true

laughingbuddha

Country flag
What is wrong with this fellow? Very unbecoming of a senior political leader and union minister. How dare he belittle our armed forces?

Pandora

Country flag
In modi govt except modi ji, everyone unbecoming slowly.To be frank this govt is a let down.Except lot of talking , hardly any visible development atleast in city like mumbai.Same cowded trains,same bad roads,huge traffic jam,same smelly streets with open garbage bin.

Akshay_Fenix

"Actually, Navy is needed at the borders from where terrorists sneak in. Why does everyone (in the Navy) want to stay in South Mumbai? They (Navy) had come to me, asking for a plot (of land). I will not give even an inch of land. Please don't come to me again," Gadkari said.

"Everyone wants to build quarters and flats on south Mumbai's prime land. We do respect you (Navy), but you should go to the Pakistan border and do patrolling."

Read more at:
//economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/62461710.cms?utm_source=contentofinterest&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=cppst

These are his words, Kudos RNDTV

Akshay_Fenix

Can any modi bhakt here show me any visible development ?
Well where I live people took the initiative of setting up dustbins at every corner of the roads and pasted an image of swacha bharat abhiyan on it. The streets are clean from then on. Some guy came in and woke us up from our deep slumber, wonder who it was.
Cleaning crews now wear uniforms and jackets, ladies have the option of wearing sarees. (more minute details I have noticed but bored to type)
Railway station has been modernized(i mean a new one got built in record time), for over a year the trains have been running on time.
Drains have been closed, no mosquitos (again in record time).
And dont get me started on toilets...
Our locality has been selected for monorail project, along with metro that is already being constructed.
But the crowds remains. Unless you want Modi to do an odd/even holiday abhiyan, the crowds will remain.

Inshort if you smell something weird, take the initiative.

Tanmay

Country flag
Gadkari seems completely clueless with regards to the role of the navy. They want them to sit in Kashmir rather than defending the coastline :/
They are frustrated either with military not letting their land go (decline in field firing ranges due to usurping by civil authorities ) or lack of denial of building tall buildings / other projects in surrounding areas of defence facilities.
However in Mumbai and Navi Mumbai there were quite a few times that projects have been stalled by lack of defence permissions. Denial of landing space for a seaplane or even a flaoting hotel is not fair for a city like Mumbai. It's the job of marine police and coast guard to keep watch over these facilities.
The same facilities developed for the seaplane landing can be used by the US 2 JAPANESE amphibs saving some money.

Tanmay

Country flag
Well yes. Gadkari was in Mumbai to inaugurate a cruise ship terminal. Good for tourism.
The highways in my state Maharashtra have improved atleast the areas in which I went for a picnic. Haridwar had excellent condition of ghats and even water was clean. ;p but the city inside was full of open drains and guttee water flowing on roads.

Good collective responsibility between local govt(read BMC), NGOs, citizens for a long running cleanup of beaches (garbage flows from sea every day necessitating continuous cleanups).

Idk if the option was there before , each govt. website has a option for visually impaired people to access it.

GST and other changes in banking to recognise and reduce NPAs.

AADHAR linkage of various facilities :p especially e-verification. Save a lot of pain in ass. SIM cards working in two minutes, stock market demat account in 5 mins :p

And new AIIMS and IITs :) though they need to improve the services. Long way to go.

And something I personally liked a lot. Increasing digitisation of services. Adoption of blockchain technology by govts. , Apps like UMANG which connect to all govt services in one roof.
A lot still remains but way to go
But most importantly :) Visible change in attitude of people. And growth of new non pseudo secular media :p

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
What is wrong with this fellow? Very unbecoming of a senior political leader and union minister. How dare he belittle our armed forces?
What he has said is perfectly right. Why navy people wants to live in posh area ? Why do not they live where they are needed most. They will build a town ship and than they will block all development citing security reason.

Akshay_Fenix

What he has said is perfectly right. Why navy people wants to live in posh area ? Why do not they live where they are needed most. They will build a town ship and than they will block all development citing security reason.
Aadarsh Housing Society Scam 2.0 in the offing.

Pandora

Country flag
Well where I live people took the initiative of setting up dustbins at every corner of the roads and pasted an image of swacha bharat abhiyan on it. The streets are clean from then on. Some guy came in and woke us up from our deep slumber, wonder who it was.
Cleaning crews now wear uniforms and jackets, ladies have the option of wearing sarees. (more minute details I have noticed but bored to type)
Railway station has been modernized(i mean a new one got built in record time), for over a year the trains have been running on time.
Drains have been closed, no mosquitos (again in record time).
And dont get me started on toilets...
Our locality has been selected for monorail project, along with metro that is already being constructed.
But the crowds remains. Unless you want Modi to do an odd/even holiday abhiyan, the crowds will remain.

Inshort if you smell something weird, take the initiative.
Where you stay ?My job let me visit each and every corner of India.Last month I was in Ranchi,Guhwhati and Kolkata.Must say situation is pathetic in BJP rules states and Mamata begum is doing pretty good.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
I was in Gorakpur not too long ago and in Udaipur few days back, In between visited Kolkata for few hours ..

Kolkata is and was same where as other two states have improved specially UP ..

Where you stay ?My job let me visit each and every corner of India.Last month I was in Ranchi,Guhwhati and Kolkata.Must say situation is pathetic in BJP rules states and Mamata begum is doing pretty good.

Indian Sniper.001

Country flag
More than the bhakts, you should go and ask those 10k plus village residents where things are actually visible in the night due to electrification.

Come out of your cocoon and see, trust me that's worth it.

And yes, the statement was highly unnecessary from the Minister. He should stick to his development agenda and stay away from commenting and opinionating in public speeches.

Coalmine

Country flag
Mumbai is a costly place and common people cant afford to live in mumbai now. That too south mumbai is top place and very expensive. Only those should live there who can pay for it. Navy already has Navy nagar in south mumbai. They should manage with it. Navy should better ask for port with 1lakh tonne aircraft carrier parking facility
BTW Gadkari may have said better like its difficult to give land in bombay in polite way.

Pandora

Country flag
I was in Gorakpur not too long ago and in Udaipur few days back, In between visited Kolkata for few hours ..

Kolkata is and was same where as other two states have improved specially UP ..
Kunal saar.Am not going into nitty gritty of definition of Improvement.But what I observed,am posting here.This govt is nothing but a bunch of big mouths.

Pandora

Country flag
More than the bhakts, you should go and ask those 10k plus village residents where things are actually visible in the night due to electrification.

Come out of your cocoon and see, trust me that's worth it.

And yes, the statement was highly unnecessary from the Minister. He should stick to his development agenda and stay away from commenting and opinionating in public speeches.
Bhakt spoted
http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/op-...ges-—-in-reality-darkness/article14176223.ece
http://www.moneylife.in/article/100...ion-what-do-the-numbers-really-say/51759.html
With brain like pigeon,you must save it for other work.

Shashwat

Country flag
In modi govt except modi ji, everyone unbecoming slowly.To be frank this govt is a let down.Except lot of talking , hardly any visible development atleast in city like mumbai.Same cowded trains,same bad roads,huge traffic jam,same smelly streets with open garbage bin.

Living under the rock? 150+Km of Metro is either under construction or in tendering phase. If you can't embrace you just cannot see good work.

As far as roads are concerned its BMC that you should raise your voice. I don't understand how dumb Indians can get, on one hand they despise Modi as dictator and on the other hand they want him to hand hold every single thing (like a dictator). Get a load of democracy and learn about decentralization before cribbing about every frigging thing on a govt. or a single person.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles