General History Thread

Swesh

Monier William’s submission for election as Boden Professor of Sanskrit at University of Oxford (1860)

If I am elected to the Boden Professorship, my utmost energies shall be devoted to the one object which its Founder had in view;—namely "The promotion of a more general and critical knowledge of the Sanskrit language, as a means of enabling Englishmen to proceed in the conversion of the natives of India to the Christian religion."

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
GENTLEMEN,
In offering myself as a Candidate for the Boden Professorship of Sanskrit, now vacant, I respectfully lay before you a few particulars which bear upon my fitness for that office.
Having been born in India (the son of the late Lieutenant-Colonel Monier Williams, Surveyor-General of Bombay), my earliest thoughts and studies were directed towards the East. I was presented to an Indian writership in 1840, and was therefore compelled to leave Balliol College, Oxford, (where I had resided for a year and a half), to proceed as a student to the East India College, Haileybury, where I gained the first prizes in all of the Oriental subjects. In consequence of the death of a brother in one of the battles of India, I resigned my writership in 1841, and returned to Oxford, where I became a member of University College and took my Degree in 1844.
During my second residence in Oxford my attention continued to be directed to Oriental studies, and in 1843, I was elected to one of the Boden Scholarships.
In 1844, I was appointed to an Oriental Professorship at Haileybury College, where I remained for about 14 years, till the abolition of that Institution. In the first year of my appointment my duties were to lecture in Sanskrit, Persian and Hindústání. In the last 13 years I was employed exclusively in the Sanskrit department.
As Haileybury College usually numbered from 80 to 100 students, and as every student was compelled to pass a prescribed test in Sanskrit, an amount of experience has been gained by me in teaching the Sanskrit language, which could not have been acquired at any other place of education. From the first moment of my appointment to the Haileybury Professorship, the one idea of my life has been to make myself thoroughly conversant with Sanskrit, and by every means in my power to facilitate the study of its literature.
With this view I have published a Grammar, a Dictionary (the former of which was was brought out under the patronage of the Delegates of the Oxford Press, and the latter under that of the East India Company,) and various other Oriental works, a list of which is annexed.
In 1855, when the new system of competition for the Indian Civil Service was introduced, I was selected by the Government to examine in Sanskrit, and I have held the appointment of Sanskrit Examiner for five years consecutively.
Having commenced my career as a Scholar on the foundation of Colonel Boden, I owe a deep debt of gratitude to the munificent benefactor, who provided for the perpetual study of Sanskrit in the University of Oxford, and if I am elected to the Boden Professorship, my utmost energies shall be devoted to the one object which its Founder had in view;—namely “The promotion of a more general and critical knowledge of the Sanskrit language, as a means of enabling Englishmen to proceed in the conversion of the natives of India to the Christian religion.”
I have the honour to be,
Gentlemen,
Your faithful Servant,
MONIER WILLIAMS

Love Charger

चक्रवर्ती
Country flag
@Swesh ji, in the year 1946 the maharaja of bharatpur state was hunting around a small village of Nagla chela near Biyana Or bayana.
The raja and his retinue went back in evening.
Local kids then went in search of used cartridge shells, then they came across a patch of shrub in a poor farmers field.
They pulled the shrub as they saw a pot sticking out of it.
The pot was made up of copper and it had 2000 Gupta era gold coins.
The coins, of which 179 distributed in the village and the villagers melted them overnight next day the bharatpur state Police came and seized the remaining 1821 coins
The villgers had to pay 12000 rupees as a fine in 1946 for melting the coins.
Now, these coins were from reign of skandgupta, the great grandson of samudragupta.
The coins were from 4 th century and their burial justifies the fact that North western india was in a turmoil, as huns were invading regularly so someone must have buried these here and would have decided to return later but he never did And the coins remained there.
This is called as Bayana hoard, infact largest discovery of coins in India till now.
My question is can you tell the weight of these coins?
I can't find it anywhere , I mean how much did each coin weigh in average?
@Tactical Doge
@Azaad
@NutCracker
@Sayman Ame
@

Swesh

@Swesh ji, in the year 1946 the maharaja of bharatpur state was hunting around a small village of Nagla chela near Biyana Or bayana.
Local kids then went in search of used cartridge shells, then they came across a patch of shrub in a poor farmers field.
The coins, of which 179 distributed in the village and the villagers melted them overnight next day the bharatpur state Police came and seized the remaining 1821 coins
Now, these coins were from reign of skandgupta, the great grandson of samudragupta.
The coins were from 4 th century and their burial justifies the fact that North western india was in a turmoil, as huns were invading regularly so someone must have buried these here and would have decided to return later but he never did And the coins remained there.
This is called as Bayana hoard, infact largest discovery of coins in India till now.
@Tactical Doge
@Azaad
@NutCracker
@Sayman Ame
@
Try finding here it's a big book of 500pages

Swesh

@Tactical Doge
@Azaad
@NutCracker
@Sayman Ame
@
Eureka! I found the catalogue of whole list

And good luck for studying and making notes for whole list!!!!!

Sayman Ame

Country flag
@Tactical Doge
@Azaad
@NutCracker
@Sayman Ame
@

You can find the entire catalogue of coin types and their dimensions from his period here :

On an average they seem to weigh 7.5 grams.

Screenshot 2023-04-25 at 18-27-58 The COININDIA Coin Galleries Gupta Samudragupta.png

For some reason, the page is not allowing me to upload the rest of the screenshots, but do check it out.

Sayman Ame

Country flag
@Tactical Doge
@Azaad
@NutCracker
@Sayman Ame
@
Screenshot 2023-04-25 at 18-33-58 The COININDIA Coin Galleries Gupta Samudragupta.png

1682427883835.png

Screenshot 2023-04-25 at 18-34-53 The COININDIA Coin Galleries Gupta Samudragupta.png

Screenshot 2023-04-25 at 18-35-21 The COININDIA Coin Galleries Gupta Samudragupta.png

Screenshot 2023-04-25 at 18-35-59 The COININDIA Coin Galleries Gupta Samudragupta.png

Screenshot 2023-04-25 at 18-36-23 The COININDIA Coin Galleries Gupta Samudragupta.png

Indrajit

Country flag
Cross posting
@fooLIam

Plenty here, too many to list out - best to watch entire video but here are some points:
- Ayodhya - absolutely no question that it was a Hindu site and the mosque was built using temple pillars, plenty of details...
- fight with Marxist historian Irfan Habib
- muslims should have given up Ayodhya on their own, also Mathura & Kashi
- blunt dismissal of conspiracy theorists on Taj Mahal
- interesting finds related to Akbar & the Buddha
- critical of BJP government for not renovating temples

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
India’s history has become a history of foreign invaders - Aryans, Iranians, Greeks, Parthians, Scythians, Kushans, Arabs, Turks, Persians, Portuguese, Dutch, French, and British rather than a history of the greatest civilization which the world has known, and later on of Hindu heroism which fought and ultimately frustrated all foreign invaders.

India itself has become a sub-continent seething with a mass of heterogeneous humanity rather than an ancient and indivisible Hindu homeland.

Indian people have become a conglomeration of nationalities, racial groups and religious communities which are finding it difficult to co-exist in peace, rather than a national society which is trying to reform itself and reclaim some of its unfortunate sections alienated from it by successive waves of Islamic, Christian and modern Western imperialism.

And Indian culture has become a mechanical mixture of odds and ends, indigenous and imported, rather than a homogeneous whole created by a vast spiritual vision which is finding itself ill at ease with incompatible impositions.

It was this version of India’s history which gave a good conscience to the British imperialist while he pulverised Hindu society, plundered Hindu wealth and poured undisguised contempt on Hindu culture.

It was this version of India’s history which emasculated Hindu society and emboldened the residues of Islamic imperialism to stage street riots and then walk away with precious parts of the Hindu homeland,
thus consolidating an aggression which had not succeeded even though mounted again and again for more than a thousand years.

It is this version of India’s history which is being invoked by the fifth-columns of Islam, Christianity, and Communism, each of which looks forward to a final conquest of this country with the help of foreign finances and, if need be, foreign firearms. And it is this version of India’s history which is being promoted by power-hungry politicians who woo the Muslim vote-bank while they divide Hindu society into mutually hostile camps.

https://twitter.com/SitaRamGoel_Voi/status/1664459344275206144/analytics

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
It's a 50 mb file, might as well download individually.
=====
Subhash kak

I have now carefully read Aleksandr Semenenko's analysis of the archaeological and literary evidence about ancient India and he has made an excellent case for a pre-2600 BCE dating for the Rgveda and its implication for spread of India-European languages

All interested in ancient Indian history should see these slides that present an easy summary of his research

Compersion

Country flag
Finding Sita

She was found and is now to be found again. Why did she go (again) ?

The mighty found her . They will find her again .

A great fire will be set by the mighty and it will signify the discovery of her.

It is rare for the mighty to turn and go in another direction. They did it for her and knowledge and wisdom and they have strength.

The knowledge knows and has already returning. The strength never left them.

She will with the mighty - righteous.

21 June to 24 June .

This is about the righteousness and the righteous . The Vibhishana(s) knows and will be there changing.

Look out for the fire - she will be discovered. Why is Bharat turning towards ...

And she knows.

Jai Hind.

Vamsi

Country flag
First off, Marxism being a 'jew' ideology is classic white denialism. I am an ex-marxist, an ex CPM cadre, so these cheap stunts don't work with me. While Marx is the 'face' of Marxism, the actual brain of Marxism is Engels- HE is the guy who bankrolled Mr deadbeat-dad marx, he is the guy who proof read and modified Marx's writings before Marx published them and he is the one who gets at least HALF the credit for making marxism. But why is Engels ignored and Marx promoted ? Because Engels was a rich white german protestant with ZERO ties to the 'proleteriat' and it was rather inconvinient for Lenin that the ideology of 'overthrow the bourgeouse and lead a revolution of the proleteriat' is made BY a classic bourgeouse, which would lead to 'maybe not all of them are leeching scum' type of debates and make seizing their properties cumbersome.

Marxism, like modern day liberalism, queer theory, gender ideology, etc. are ALL product of the primitive barbarian ABRAHAMIC ethical code system and product of societies that follow the abrahamic ethical code and are in the process of replacing 'God' as authority with 'self' as the prime authority.

The jews are minor, incidental players in history of thought and philosophy, with LITERALLY zero contributions till the last 300 years. Even their religion is a rip off of Zoroastrianism and the Abrahamic ethics is the Zoroastrian ethics code, which is the FIRST split from the naturalistic dharmic ethics code seen in non abrahamic societies and is mentioned in the Vedas as the split of the Bharata and the Parasikas ( Persians).

The FUNDAMENTAL split is that of Parsu-Bharat in ethics and while the former's ethics spread to the west, the latter's ethics spread to the east.
What is this ethical split ? The answer is simple.
The zoroastrian (and all abrahamic ethics) sees the world in black and white duality : absolute good vs absolute evil.
The dharmic ( and many non abrahamic ethics) sees the world in grey : very few things are absolute evil or absolute good, most things are good or bad contextually and most importantly, its about proportionality, aka BALANCE. This is the fundamental code of 'madhyamika' ( middle path of Buddha & Shakaracharya), yin and yang' etc. and this is based on a core fundamental observation of phenomenal universe : That life is possible and thrives when various components ( energy, matter, etc) are in BALANCE and not in extreme : Life does not thrive in vacuum of space, it does not thrive in a black hole or a neutron star. It does not thrive on a planet too close or too far from the sun, etc.

The parsu code incorporated the balance fundamental in the absolute evil vs absolute good, where in Zoroastrian religion, Ahura Mazda ( the god of good) and Ahariman ( the devil) are perfectly equal, locked in eternal struggle for supremacy.

The jews adopted this code during their babylonian captivity & subsequent rule of the medians & Persians ( Medes were a branch of the Parsu - the madai) but owing to their concept of monotheistic god and being one of the most primitive & barbaric societies on the planet, ditched the 'equality of duality' and ended up in a FUBAR of 'god is supreme, the devil is inferior to god, but fucks up gods plans and god is unable to do shit, but is still doing shit, is a barbaric jealous asshole but all loving' type of illogical nonsense.

They even got their 'garden of eden' concept from the Persians - who were the original garden builders and the SOURCE of Persian power was by demonstrating mastery of water in their semi-arid lands.

Just like how Ashwamedha Yajna was seen as super prestigious in India - for only a 'mega rich, mega powerful ruler will import a horse ( an animal not native to India), let it wander around and then sacrifice it', to the Persians it was 'only a mega rich, mega powerful ruler can make a giant garden replete with water works in the middle of the desert'.

So long story short, it may be convinient for white trash to blame 'ze jooz' for all ills, but its important for us to realise that 'ze jooz' are ultimately, intellectual lightweights in ideology and the source of their ideological FUBAR is much, much older than them and is actually an ideological split of the Aryas.
@GaudaNaresh saar when did jooz met Zoroastrians?? Is it before they were enslaved in Egypt or after they escaped egypt

GaudaNaresh

Country flag
@GaudaNaresh saar when did jooz met Zoroastrians?? Is it before they were enslaved in Egypt or after they escaped egypt
Jooz enslaved in Egypt is a nonsense tale. They were not enslaved. at best they were part of the Hyksos invasions that occured at the end of the old kingdom and most likely were Atenist monotheists ( Atenist monotheism was started by Pharaoh Akhenaten, Tutankamun's dad) who fled Egypt after the Atenist purge and settled in Caanan ( Palestine).

However, they were enslaved by Assyrians around 900 BCE and then again by Babylonians- the jews mention it as Babylonian captivity around 586 BCE, when they were deported en masse into Babylonia by Nebuchadnezzar the second. There, they were dispersed into the 'eastern fringes' of the Babylonian empire, ie, eastern Iraq, western Iran and maybe even beyond. THIS event is where the 'lost tribes of israel' idea comes from and it wasn't until 530 BCE, when Kurash the great (Cyrus to westoids) defeated the Babylonian empire and conquered it, freeing the jews and allowing many of them to return to israel & rebuild the temple of the mount- which Kurash himself paid for and the Sakhamani Parsu Empire ( known as Achaemenid Persian empire) are noted as the ONLY empire under whom ze jooz lived in Israel without rebellion.

So impressed were the jooz with Kurash, that they LITERALLY modified their religion to accomodate him, since in Jewish theology, its the 'chosen tribe'(them) who get to inherit the earth & ALL others are condemned to hell and they couldn't reconcile the idea of Kurash in hell,given that he freed them, gave them money to rebuild the temple and allowed them TOTAL religious freedom. So jooz invented purgatory - the limbo of the void between heaven & hell & earth, where 'good samaritans' like Kurash get to live forever - can't inherit earth coz he isnt of the jewish supreme race, can't go to hell coz he is so good, therefore, 'stuck in limbo'.

Its THIS period of 580s BCE-300s BCE when jewish theology was deeply impacted by the Persians and they incorporated the Zoroastrian imagery, ethics and such into their religion, turning decisively monotheistic.

Because there is plenty of evidence that the jews were NOT monotheistic but more like monotheism leaning polytheists at the time of 1000 BC- 600s BC, ie, time of king solomon, david, etc. where there are repeated references in the bible of the jews worshipping multipe gods and having multiple deities.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles