Gagan Shakti 2018: The IAF Will Field 1,100 Aircraft For Mega War Exerc

binayak95

Country flag
Why praise the DefMin when exercises like these are planned by the IAF brass and all any Def Min would do is cheerlead! Would anyone say the same if this happened when Antony was DefMin... did the IFR get any Def Min any praise?
Antony didn't have the brains to realise the importance of logistics and spares. Hell, he let the situation deteriorate so much that we did not have a single APFSDS round left in the entirety of India.

Yes, the top brass does all the planning and the men and women in uniform execute the plans. But, who do you think gets all the clearance from Finance ministry to get all the spares and equipment that led to this exercise being a success? MoD, that is who. And who leads the MoD? Madame Sitharaman.

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag
Why praise the DefMin when exercises like these are planned by the IAF brass and all any Def Min would do is cheerlead! Would anyone say the same if this happened when Antony was DefMin... did the IFR get any Def Min any praise?
Hold your horses, buddy. Planned by the IAF, yes. But exercises of this magnitude have to have the approval of the Defence Minister or they cannot be conducted or scaled down. A pussy defence minister like Anthony would maybe never have approved such a massive exercise because of its geopolitical implications. Congress would never have liked to ruffle the feathers of China and Pakistan (who are pretty rattled by this exercise). But the present defence minister had the 'balls' to do so.

captscooby81

Country flag
Apart from the mere approval for the Pan India exercise its also the cost factors i am sure this exercise alone would have costed the exchequer 1000s of crores if not in 100s i mean the operational expense ..I May be wrong tooo with the numbers ..Which also brings to my mind another question..When a time the govt said it don t have much money for defence modernisation why did they given approval for such large scale exercise ..if 100 crores is there they could have equipped another 30000 soldiers with the lastest BPJ they had ordered ...

Hold your horses, buddy. Planned by the IAF, yes. But exercises of this magnitude have to have the approval of the Defence Minister or they cannot be conducted or scaled down. A pussy defence minister like Anthony would maybe never have approved such a massive exercise because of its geopolitical implications. Congress would never have liked to ruffle the feathers of China and Pakistan (who are pretty rattled by this exercise). But the present defence minister had the 'balls' to do so.

Chinmoy

Country flag
IAF showcases might with massive exercise.

https://epaper.telegraphindia.com/details/183823-122556378.html

Salient points of the report

1- Capacity of Airforce and bombs developed by ordinance has been tested.
2- Bombs were bang on targets.
3- 0% failure of bombs.
4- Wartime imitation including reaching into enemy territory.
5- IAF could reach NE from Delhi along with men and machine within 2 hrs.
6- Landing of Garud along with machinery in ALG shows it readiness in reaching remotest part.

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag
Apart from the mere approval for the Pan India exercise its also the cost factors i am sure this exercise alone would have costed the exchequer 1000s of crores if not in 100s i mean the operational expense ..I May be wrong tooo with the numbers ..Which also brings to my mind another question..When a time the govt said it don t have much money for defence modernisation why did they given approval for such large scale exercise ..if 100 crores is there they could have equipped another 30000 soldiers with the lastest BPJ they had ordered ...
This exercise had already been factored into the defence budged under the training head for this year though the exercise was planned more than a year ago.

Regular training is a necessity to test operational readiness, doctrines and tactics. You cannot say that just because it costs X crores of rupees, it's better to do no training and spend the money saved to buy some more weapons instead. What would be the point of buying more weapons when you wouldn't know how, where and when to use them? So training cannot be shelved just because of the cost factor.

As the saying goes, 'The more you train in peace, the less you bleed in war!'

Last edited:

Chinmoy

Country flag

Its not DefMin who said that they don't have money for modernisation, but the Dep COAS. Now that too is about new acquisition, not modernisation. Now in this exercise the cost would be from IAF account, not IA.

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
All naysayers should note that the detachment of 8 Tejas MK-1 that operated from Phalodi during the Ist phase of @IAF_MCC's Op Gagan Shakti registered 100 % serviceability, as revealed by COAS AM Dhanoa himself.

I can't thank Sourav Jha enough for his honest reporting.
Out of all defence journos he has been the best otherwise the likes of Shiv Aroor and Manu Pubby have fallen to import lobby.

LordOfTheUnderworlds

Country flag
So IN and IA also joined the exercise to a limited extent.

Has Indian Army done exercise of this scale (involving entire army) or any such plan is there?

aarav

जय परशुराम‍।
Country flag
Out of all defence journos he has been the best otherwise the likes of Shiv Aroor and Manu Pubby have fallen to import lobby.
I just don't understand how come these so called defence journos even knew about the snags happening in real time even before official press briefings and how come snags only happened in tejas even IAF spokesperson said that a 75% operation assets were made available meaning there were other systems which weren't running at 100% but were derided as tejas was through Fake news ,this regular derision of Tejas is getting more to that famous tagline of import lobby 33 years in making ,an absolute make believe just like this latest reports of snags

pankaj nema

Country flag

If you read the History of Warfare ; Many times Larger Armies have lost to smaller ones

Because of Chaos ; confusion ; poor tactics and Basically not knowing what to do in a given situation

Given that we will have to face a two front Situation with
Limited resources ; IAF must be aware of all the Concepts Principles and Doctrines that it has to APPLY

This exercise was about IAF Air warriors Knowing What to do And How to do
in a Real war situation

War is not just possessing capabilities ; it is also the Application of these Abilities in a Difficult Situation

Anathema

Country flag
Hardly - all three journos have total integrity. The only difference is Sourav has been a proponent of desi systems from day one, whereas other two just report defence as a whole. Both Shiv and Manu are excellent reporters with no bias unlike scums like Rajat Pandit...Also dont think Armed services are innocent - they have to take accountability on not giving enough support to desi systems (except IN). You are seeing flurry of activities of supporting desi systems due to cash crunch ..

pankaj nema

Country flag
So IN and IA also joined the exercise to a limited extent.

Has Indian Army done exercise of this scale (involving entire army) or any such plan is there?
Operation Parakram during 2002
Though it was a Full Deployment ; but in June

Indian Army was practicing Manuevers with ALL Three Strike Corps Massed Together for an attack
simultaneously

This led to all Western countries declaring that War is inevitable and Gen Mushy came on TV declaring No more support to Terrorism

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
Hardly - all three journos have total integrity. The only difference is Sourav has been a proponent of desi systems from day one, whereas other two just report defence as a whole. Both Shiv and Manu are excellent reporters with no bias unlike scums like Rajat Pandit...Also dont think Armed services are innocent - they have to take accountability on not giving enough support to desi systems (except IN). You are seeing flurry of activities of supporting desi systems due to cash crunch ..
Shiv Arror maybe but Mannu is definitely a scum

lcafanboy

Country flag
IAF monster drill stretches right up to Malacca Straits

Indian Air Force (IAF) fighters such as Su-30 MKIs and Jaguars with help from the Navy’s Poseidon-8i maritime reconnaissance aircraft extended their dominance over the Bay of Bengal region extending up to the Malacca Straits during the last phase of Exercise Gaganshakti 2018.

This exercise by IAF is being considered the biggest in recent times. After extensive rounds of flying well into the Arabian Sea along the country’s western seaboard, IAF turned its attention to the east. While operating from high altitude landing grounds was part of the drill, so was showcasing its powers to extend well beyond the mainland to places that can pose a threat to the nation.

“Dominance over the entire extended area of the Indian Ocean Region (IOR) with the Navy’s support is being demonstrated by employment of combat enablers like FRA (Flight Refuelling Aircraft). The Su-30s and Jaguars carried potent long-distance anti-shipping weaponry. While the Sukhois carried BrahMos missiles, the Jaguars were armed with the potent Harpoon anti-ship missiles. During the exercise, the Su-30s also displayed their capabilities of operating from air bases at the extreme east to strike targets far out at sea to the west of the country using air-to-air refuelling,” an official said.

During Phase-II, all maritime assets will be based out of southern naval bases and the Andamans. Extensive missions are being flown by Su-30s and Jaguars in conjunction with Navy’s P-8is using long range weapons to practice, revise and refine tactics. The aircraft practised both offensive and defensive roles.

More...http://www.defencenews.in/article/IAF-monster-drill-stretches-right-up-to-Malacca-Straits-547716

That's some overage! This is massive!
This is certainly going to piss off Lizard. Already the tone of Chinese has come down. After doklam and now this excercise demonstrated china that India is no minion and india can pull their pants down while raping porkistan.:biggrin2: So they will definately not come to rescue porki army.

Also they are talking of China Nepal and India corridor as they know cpec is fucked up until India joins it and India will definitely go for pok after balkanising porkistan......

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles