Ending 15 years agony, Ugandan student leaves for home

shaka

JAIPUR: Finally, the 15-year-old agonising wait of Ugandan student Mujungu Mark ended, as he boarded plane for his home country with the money collected by some good samaritans on Wednesday.

Mujungu Mark had come to Jaipur 15 years back to do his graduation. But he could neither complete his study nor return to his home as the Anti Corruption Bureau booked him in a case of attempt to influence the valuator for revaluation of his answersheet.

However, the bureau failed to file any chargesheet against him in the court, leaving him stranded in the country for a long fifteen years.

His wait for justice came to an end when he filed a mercy petition in a local court here requesting that either he be put in a jail or allow him to go back to his home country as he was not in a position to get a roof over his head and earn one square meals a day. He struggled to find a living by selling watches on the footpath.

Mark said he was stranded in India as the Anti Corruption Bureau refused to give him a no-objection certificate (NOC) even though they did not file any chargesheet against him.

Incidentally, three years ago, the Rajasthan University had also closed his case and a local court even allowed him to return to his country.

After his mercy petition was heard by court on December 13, the court allowed him to go to his country for two months but he had no money to pay for the ticket and other expenses.

Mark's lawyer Sudhir Badetia said they arranged money for his return to his home. He had to deposit Rs 12,000 for overstaying in the country after the expiry of his visa and work permit, besides Rs 30,000 for his flight ticket. We also paid him Rs 4,000 for his own journey expenses. Mark left by promising to come back as the court had given him only two months' permission.

An emotional Mark, who is now 38, said: "I don't know whether my family members would be able to recognise me as they will be seeing me after 15 long years." He broke down when he said: "I will never see my mother who died a few months back."
Source

What a pathetic system we have, where murderers, rioters move carefree and ....

I think this guy should not come back to India to face clueless courts/law in the country, they will waste 15 more years and still be undecided.

Thankfully there are still good people in this country who arranged money for him.

SHASH2K2

It really hurts to hear about this kind of incidence . spending 15 years here only on charge of trying to influence evaluator. This is too much . I am suer no one will be held accountable for this kind of attrocitiy . Looks like atithi devo bhava is only for fair skin people.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Very unfortunate.

How come our most active human rights Joes were sleeping?

Medha Patkar, Swami Agnivesh, Arundoti Roy any answers?

How come such a sadhu like Agnivesh was too busy elsewhere preaching?

Nothing to cash on, right?

SHASH2K2

one more question the comes into my mind is about Ugandan embassy. were they all sleeping for 15 years?

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Its very sad to hear such news. We need more courts, more judges, more lawyers to speed up the process of justice. Justice delayed is Justice denied. Then why doesn't GoI/State governments doing enough to establish more courts??.

I also read some time back about a guy in Kolkata that he was tried as an under-trial for 45 years. Such is our sad state of affairs.

Oracle

15 years lost for attempting to influence the valuator for revaluation of his answer sheet? Kudos!
This is what happens when bribes are paid in millions for Govt. jobs. You have a machinery whose thinking is of the 1900s, and whose efficiency is stuck in junk.

Last edited:

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
So wrong...The poor chap had to face the wrath of our foolishness. People dont even write exams in Bihar and still manage to pass but this poor guy did farless and feel into an crack... :(

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles