Defence budget 2019- 2020

Deathstar

Country flag
I think we dont lack money instead we lack determination and will power to modernize our forces , aircraft deal gets scrapped after 10 years of negotiations wtf

Brimstone

Spotter
Country flag
There is a hidden 25000 crores(over 5 years) in that defence budget, by exemption from customs duties.
That's approx 714 million per year. Is this money off the books ?
If it is, then we can buy a lot of special stuff. But it's not sufficient for all three branches.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
That's approx 714 million per year. Is this money off the books ?
If it is, then we can buy a lot of special stuff. But it's not sufficient for all three branches.
not off books, forces don't need to pay this amount to customs... so in effect have additional funds for acquisitions...

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
I think we dont lack money instead we lack determination and will power to modernize our forces , aircraft deal gets scrapped after 10 years of negotiations wtf
who is "we" in this case?... as i keep saying india is not a monolith...

captscooby81

Country flag
But as coupta was saying why does the govt has to pay customs duty for its import . Armed forces are part of the govt cant they simply be excluded from import customs duty ???

not off books, forces don't need to pay this amount to customs... so in effect have additional funds for acquisitions...

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
But as coupta was saying why does the govt has to pay customs duty for its import . Armed forces are part of the govt cant they simply be excluded from import customs duty ???
no point looking back, this is a classic example of babus working in silos. more over lets not judge old india by current standards. there will be a backstory for this, if someone digs it up.

hopefully as economy grows and there by govt revenue grows, more and more such idiotic things become irrelevant.

Hari Sud

Country flag
You dont know abc of Pakistan if you are saying that . Pakistan is preparing against india , they are upgrading his air force , they got PL15, and new system for J17 & soon they get 5th gen planes .

Imran khan is failing so what option he will have only attack on india for his next term but what is our prepration , we are still in lazy mode , we guys talk about 2 front but our budget is very very poor

Sorry but you forget china is behind Pakistan and china know how to use Pakistan against us .

How much money do they have to upgrade. They have been bankrupt for the past several years. Only this year it became public.

Chinese are no political fools. If they cannot get their payments, they do not supply.

garg_bharat

Country flag
The defence budget invokes passions in India every year. I believe looking at numbers is not the right way. We must focus on how well the money is used. If Govt uses money wisely, the same money can do much more.

Indrajit

Country flag
The defence budget invokes passions in India every year. I believe looking at numbers is not the right way. We must focus on how well the money is used. If Govt uses money wisely, the same money can do much more.
Well..., you can trust the government to be unwise, its record does not inspire confidence. I remember suggesting on one of the threads here a ₹1 surcharge on fuel to help with capital expenditure for the forces...we have now got more than that increase of fuel prices but that will only go to subsidise even more of the government’s populist schemes.

Cutting Edge 2

Space Power
My 2 cents on defense budget

We need more money in Defense but for purchase. We have lot of man power that is not necessary in modern warfare.

I appreciate gov's customs waiver of defense imports. This will make purchase little more cheap hence little more funds for purchase. Less paperwork for sure.

We should also understand that increasing defense budget alone isn't solution to our problem. We need long term sustainable defense eco-system in our country. Right now all billions we spend on defense goes to foreign countries hence a drain on our fx reserves. We Should transform defense from being a burden on economy to a major contributor to GDP (like USA and Russia)

I think in part I agree with current gov's strategy of putting infrastructure and economy first. With $5 trillion target by 2024-25 our defense budget is bound to cross $100 billion. When it comes to defense we just have to make sure that money is spent in the right place.

I propose a 3 tier plan for gov to curb defense imports and corruption associated with it.

1) Low tech category: complete ban on imports. forces must develop strategies based on domestic option.

2) Advance tech category: Partial ban, only parts and subsystems may be imported.

3) High tech category: The rule in this category should be to peg amount of import to the amount received from defense exports.

We need to think more outside the box when it comes to defense. We need to invest more in "strategic" weapons. ICBMs, SLBMs, SSBNs, ASATs, DEWs, TNWHs, BMDs, etc. Such weapons are force multipliers and give our country an umbrella of security form any invading force. These weapons are always deployed in less numbers and provide bang for buck firepower.

Jai Hind :india2:

- Cutting Edge

Illusive

Country flag
My 2 cents on defense budget

We need more money in Defense but for purchase. We have lot of man power that is not necessary in modern warfare.

I appreciate gov's customs waiver of defense imports. This will make purchase little more cheap hence little more funds for purchase. Less paperwork for sure.

We should also understand that increasing defense budget alone isn't solution to our problem. We need long term sustainable defense eco-system in our country. Right now all billions we spend on defense goes to foreign countries hence a drain on our fx reserves. We Should transform defense from being a burden on economy to a major contributor to GDP (like USA and Russia)

I think in part I agree with current gov's strategy of putting infrastructure and economy first. With $5 trillion target by 2024-25 our defense budget is bound to cross $100 billion. When it comes to defense we just have to make sure that money is spent in the right place.

I propose a 3 tier plan for gov to curb defense imports and corruption associated with it.

1) Low tech category: complete ban on imports. forces must develop strategies based on domestic option.

2) Advance tech category: Partial ban, only parts and subsystems may be imported.

3) High tech category: The rule in this category should be to peg amount of import to the amount received from defense exports.

We need to think more outside the box when it comes to defense. We need to invest more in "strategic" weapons. ICBMs, SLBMs, SSBNs, ASATs, DEWs, TNWHs, BMDs, etc. Such weapons are force multipliers and give our country an umbrella of security form any invading force. These weapons are always deployed in less numbers and provide bang for buck firepower.

Jai Hind :india2:

- Cutting Edge
So small arms like assault rifle would come in high tech right?:biggrin2:

I kinda agree with most parts except for strategic weapons being force multipliers which they aren't. It's a detterance or a destroyer...Of your opponent's forces.

Cutting Edge 2

Space Power
So small arms like assault rifle would come in high tech right?:biggrin2:
many users here are celebrating small arms purchase as some form of achievement when OFB was ready with a desi option. I suggest we should spend money on R&D of desi small arms rather then paying license fees. With my 3 tier plan such imports will be permanently stopped.

I kinda agree with most parts except for strategic weapons being force multipliers which they aren't. It's a detterance or a destroyer...Of your opponent's forces.
At this point in time when our forces are facing major financial crunch having a traditional weapons in quantity at par with economic giants like US-China is impossible. This is why I suggested strategic weapons that carry lot of firepower and also act as a deterrence.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Imran khan is failing so what option he will have only attack on india for his next term but what is our prepration , we are still in lazy mode , we guys talk about 2 front but our budget is very very poor
Pakistani military equipment doesn't allow them to "attack" on India unless China chooses to spend at least $100 billions on their military in next few years.
The question is about to how much extent Pakistan can defend against India and give it damage.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles