Chidambaram pleads Indian human resources to return back

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
i think except for a couple of one-liner posts , the debate on this thread wias pretty good - the points raised were relevant and necessary to be addressed

nrj quoted Chidam above about a handful of top-class univs and institutes .......

then member natarajan raised the question of corruption .....finally shiv quoted a couple of realistic scenarios where people ditched all only to discover they made the wrong move

i think those are the three main points - where do you fit it - specifiy the institute or univ - are you prepared for the " corruption" and are you able to adjust to life in india - all its aspects ?

the most realistic option i could recommend to all NRI's and indian orgin born outside india is to lobby india to allow some sort of dual nationality or quasi dual nationality .....a sort of ST-NRI ....i.e as an example let's call it Special Talent non resident india

those who are designated such status should be allowed to play a part-time role india's universities and institutes ..... most univs in UK and USA allow sabbatical year besides allowing academic staff a lengthy summer holiday abroad and they can do research or teaching at a univ abroad

NRI's especially those who were born abroad or lived more than 15 years outside india should be realistic enough to realize that there are gonna be huge adjustments to be made and it aint gonna be as smooth as they expected

the quasi dual-nationality or special status which i have suggested should allow for a better transition or instead it allow nri's to make contributions to india on a partial basis without having to give up their position abroad .

of course i havent covered every aspect but that is just a skeleton of the idea.
I think it is a good step for business people. But for academia, I think it would not work because most good universities are govt. funded and do not have any feasible way to allow someone to work for a year. On top of that they pay peanuts, so inviting someone even for a semester does not look that lucrative.

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
I think it is a good step for business people. But for academia, I think it would not work because most good universities are govt. funded and do not have any feasible way to allow someone to work for a year. On top of that they pay peanuts, so inviting someone even for a semester does not look that lucrative.
appreciate your points !

most "western" univs allow their staff to go off for a sabatical ( fully paid , as if working at their home univ )every 4 years or so ....i know as many of my relatives are doing that

as for the funding issue , most western univs will have no probs funding the sabbatical if their indian origin or nri staff wanna do sabatical at an inidan institute ....the indian side need pay NOTHING ! ...i actually know a top-level usa prof ( not nri nor indian ) who chose to do taht at uni of baroda ( somewhere in india )

Last edited:

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
appreciate your points !

most "western" univs allow their staff to go off for a sabatical ( fully paid , as if working at their home univ )every 4 years or so ....i know as many of my relatives are doing that

as for the funding issue , most western univs will have no probs funding the sabbatical if their indian origin or nri staff wanna do sabatical at an inidan institute ....the indian side need pay NOTHING ! ...i actually know a top-level usa prof ( not nri nor indian ) who chose to do taht at uni of baroda ( somewhere in india )
Yeah..May be then it can work for people working on theoretical stuff. Those who are in applied research might not get laboratory facilities so easily.

winton

indian diaspora will return as soon as the streets are clean up and the stench removed. Obviously alot of infrastructure issues to deal with in india

Energon

DFI stars
Ambassador
Country flag
This idea of attracting human resource through emotional posturing and nationalism will never work. Indian leaders simply do not understand that incentive is the elixir of progress, not emotional sentiments. This is why a majority of the nationalist fanboys reside elsewhere and not in India.

As many people have pointed out, infrastructure is the most obvious barrier stopping Indians who have experienced life in developed countries from coming back. However if one were to draw up a ranked list of the issues, infrastructure would actually come in third. The first two would be the rule of law and adequately functioning public institutions.

It is unrealistic for any potential repatriates to expect the streets to be miraculously clean overnight. Now of course nothing will happen without infrastructure and this is a messy process that takes a long time. However I bet Western educated Indians would show up in droves if they were assured that they can return to a country where their rights are protected and where the police force and courts work and where they don't constantly get extorted when living their daily lives or when conducting business. If these conditions are met they will be more than willing to put up with the shabbiness of large scale construction and pollution to exploit the massive potential of the country.

What Indian leaders also fail to understand is that unlike China, attracting big business corporations isn't the real solution rather it's enabling small business that can truly revolutionize India. And this is why the rule of law and functioning institutions are more critical, because it makes it possible for anyone to conduct a successful business.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles