By 2017, India should cross Rs. 1 bn in defence export : Manohar Parrikar

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
By 2017, India should cross Rs 1 bn in defence export: Manohar Parrikar- Defence Aviation Post
By Anupama Airy

EXCLUSIVE Interview with India’s Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar

Headline: By 2017 India should cross Rs 1 billion in defence export: Manohar Parrikar

The face of the Indian defence industry and armed forces is changing rapidly with a strong focus on indigenisation. The man leading that change is Manohar Parrikar, India’s defence minister. Parrikar has worked extremely hard over the last one-and-a-half years to bring a complete turnaround in the defence establishment. In an exclusive interview with the DefenceAviationPost.com, which is also Parrikar’s latest interview so far, the minister spoke about his future plans and the key security issues facing the country.

Excerpts:

Q: The new Defence Procurement Policy is being referred to as a game changing policy for the sector. How do you see it altering the Indian defence growth story?

A: In the new DPP, we have tried to shift the focus on Make-in-India, to small and medium scale industry. Then, we are stressing on time-bound procedures.

The defence sector has a strange set of procurement procedures which do not normally exist for other procurements. One obvious reason is that products need to be tested as unless successful testing is done these costly equipment can’t be procured. So testing is a major criteria and this was so far not allowed to Indian private companies and was resulting into major delays. So the new DPP opens up testing facilities. Various defence PSUs are also offering facilities to the private sector. The new DPP will address these concerns of the industry in detail.

Q: Under the new policy, will companies have open access to testing facilities?

A: Yes. That’s right. But they will have a fee for it where you pay and test.

Q: The Make-in-India initiative is gaining ground. The new category of ‘Indigenously Designed, Developed and Manufactured’ (IDDM) equipment reverses the local mix from 70:30 to 30:70. Do you have any timelines for its implementation?

A: It won’t happen overnight. In the new DPP for IDDM it will be only now that things will be processed. Orders may be placed after one year and actual production will start after a year. So, it is in 2017 that we will start seeing the real impact. Of course, some push that we had given earlier would result in some shifting of the balance during the current year.

Q: We see a sudden rush from big corporates who want to invest big time in the defence sector, in manufacturing facilities and production. Already some 50 MoUs have been signed and over 350 licenses given. Is there any kind of a mechanism that you are going to put in place to monitor that everything that is being talked about actually takes-off?

A: Unlike other sectors the buyer is only one except for exports, which we have opened up. In fact, the recorded NoCs for export granted by us in spite of the fact that we have reduced the number of items under restricted export in defence, has almost tripled as compared to last year and grown by five times the earlier years. We are now touching around Rs 2000 crore this year. I expect growth of another 50%-100% because of offsets.

In the next year, we should cross Rs 1 billion in exports, which itself will be an achievement. Except the export part of it, the rest is produced and purchased by the Indian defence forces. These are part of preparations. These are not actual fructification. The fructification will happen in the current year for some in the private sector whom we are already placing orders with. In fact, Tata’s have developed 6×6 (truck for Indian army), Larsen & Toubro is in the final stage of getting the order for self-propelled guns.

Q: Will the entry of private companies affect the role of defence PSUs and DRDO?

A: PSUs are also part of Make-in-India. We are asking them to broaden their vendor base and get products outsourced so that the private industry also develops in course.

India’s Defence Minister, Manohar Parrikar

Q: Indian defence companies say their products are comparatively much cheaper to, say those supplied by US companies, like for example the ultra-light weight howitzers developed by the Kalyani Group is around 50% cheaper than that manufactured in the US. Aren’t we spending a lot for importing equipments like these?

A: I am not aware of the costs but I will definitely find out. We are serious on indigenously developed products and I will talk to them.

Q: What are the key things in the DPP that make you happy?

A: One is more flexibility. We have drafted a preamble which can guide the DPP procedure so that bottlenecks don’t take place. The other is timeline. The RFP from AOM is only six months. Third is more flexibility in determining the required parameters.

Q: Will the DPP give preference to MSMEs?

A: Introduction of IDDM in the new DPP policy is the biggest game changer. If someone can develop a design and develop a product in India, even if we are now buying from a foreign source, the subsequent purchases will have to go to IDDM.

Q: Are you happy with the budget allocation? How would you in the present constraints of fund allocation priorities your plans on modernization?

A: I don’t see a big fund constraint. Let me put it this way, in a month if a family eats say 20 kg of rice they may consume around 500 grams a day — so budgets have to be seen in that angle. What do I require today? One is my committed liabilities. I am talking about capital acquisition so if I have placed orders with the vendors then as they supply I have to go and pay. For example, Apache Helicopter for which I placed the order in October. It will be supplied in 2018. Initially, I paid some 15%. The total including the weapon package was about Rs 21,000-22,000 crore. I paid only Rs 3000 crore. How much do I require as per the calibrated payment terms — maybe I will require another Rs 1500 crore this year and Rs 1500 crore next year and maybe some Rs 5000 crore or Rs 8000 crore the year after. So what I do today has its impact in next 5-10 years and what was done in 2012-13 is going to reflect now.

Q: So, you don’t see any deficit in funds?

A: This year whatever is available to us is probably ok. If there is some minor requirement you can always go and….but I don’t think there is any big shortage of funds.

Q: What are your expectations out from the DefExpo 2016?

A: One is obviously export. Let Indian capabilities be seen by everyone. I think many foreign companies might tie-up with Indian companies for purchase from India. If not the developed countries, may be developing countries. It is also an opportunity for Indian companies to tie up with foreign collaborators and may be in some cases, an opportunity for us. So, while I say that Make-in-India is a stress point it is not at the cost of operational capability of the army, the air force or the navy.

Q: What about China and Pakistan’s participation in the Defexpo?

A: I don’t see a big issue in inviting or not inviting. Traditionally they have not been invited but I think from China we had some people to visit if I am not mistaken. There is no calibrated decision specifically taken in this regard.

Q: You could have broken this trend and extended an invite to Pakistan this time around?

A: I think the atmosphere needs to be developed still better. In principle I want a very good relation with Pakistan. There are a few steps they have taken. I hope they continue with the steps. Today, I saw a statement from Sharif that they want to stop terrorism from their land. I am not born anti-Pakistan. Depending, like we are building up confidence bridges with the Chinese, slightly higher level may result into….. we buy so many things from Pakistan…. this may also result into a better (relations).

Q: Please tell us something about your upcoming visit to China next month?

A: It’s a normal visit which happens as per schedule. They had invited me. These are processes of getting the relations better and better. They are much better than what they were two years back. They can still become better. The day might come when they agree to settle the border dispute.

Q:The double finance scrutiny first by MoD and then by finance ministry is making defence procurement cumbersome. Why should there be a double scrutiny at all?

A: Ask that question to the finance ministry. If you ask me it is a triple level — MoD, then our own finance department and then the MoF. I think it’s a case for a higher delegated power. It will be taken up but I don’t see it as a big problem. I have no problem in finance expenditure going through it.

Q: Your comments on the government’s plans to cut foreign vendor contracts by 30% in the next two years?

A: We don’t intend to cut. We intend to purchase locally so automatically the procurement from outside will reduce.

Q: In Rafale jet deal pricing is a big issue? Even the law ministry has recently raised some objections?

A: Price is equally important. While I want the aircraft I will definitely be interested in the right price. The objections are being attended to.

Q: On statements from Rafale that it’s up to India to decide?

A: I will not comment on it.

Q: Any timeline you have fixed for the Rafale deal?

A: I don’t fix timelines but I am definitely interested in finishing it as early as possible.

Q: You have said even small incidents of terrorism must be treated as war. Can you please elaborate?

A: Why does someone engage in terrorist or guerilla warfare? Guerilla warfare is resorted to when the small enemy cannot bring down the big one so he continuously nibbles or bites the big enemy piece by piece. They (militants) know they are on suicide mission still they come because they want big publicity, they want to create some sort of psychological impact so if we treat it as a war and don’t start analysing it as we analysed Pathankot, I think that would stop the attacks. The full ecosystem of the attacks will be nullified.

Q: Is there a new strategy to handle such incidents?

A: It is the strategy of the press, the media, it is a strategy of operation. I was telling them don’t start too much questioning on such things because they only strengthen the enemy.

Q: Your government is completing two years in office? How do you think it has performed?

A: I am happy because this government is doing more than reasonably well. The foundation is already there and lot of things have been done by this government which had been in limbo for last 10-12 years so I feel that in another one year we would be very clearly reaping the benefits of the seeds that have been sown by this government and things that have been done by this government.
@Gessler @warrior monk @sasum @Superdefender @sayareakd

Superdefender

Rs 1 billion is Rs 100 crore, isn't it? If he says we will touch Rs 2000 cr mark this year, then how....???

harsh

Country flag
I think it is ambitious. But come on having big ambition is good for our country and also for DM.

cannonfodder

Country flag
Exports will increase in sizable quantities... i m not sure of what figure was achieved this year; u can see significant increase due to removing items from export ban list.

We can make gains since cost is low and affordable to developing countries. Also India can extend some credit lines and fuel defence industry where it is strategically beneficial :).

@Zebra @Shaitan @harsh @gpawar @LETHALFORCE
How realistic is this statement according to you guys? o_O

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Rs 1 billion is Rs 100 crore, isn't it? If he says we will touch Rs 2000 cr mark this year, then how....???
I think it is ambitious. But come on having big ambition is good for our country and also for DM.
Exports will increase in sizable quantities... i m not sure of what figure was achieved this year; u can see significant increase due to removing items from export ban list.

We can make gains since cost is low and affordable to developing countries. Also India can extend some credit lines and fuel defence industry where it is strategically beneficial :).
We exported around $184 millions between 2010-12. So, Rs. 1 bn($150.3 millions) isn't an impossible thing.

sgarg

There is a misprint in this article. It should be $1 Billion.

This target will be achieved primarily due to offsets. As India is ordering a lot of foreign weapons which have minimum 30% offsets.

However complete equipment export at this level is still some distance away.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
You mean to say $15.03 millions right?

And it should be $ 1 Billion as a target.
No, I said $150.3 million is target. Rs. 1 billion in ruppees.
India exported $184 million weapons between 2010-12.
So, exporting $150.3 million in one year is a big deal.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
There is a misprint in this article. It should be $1 Billion.

This target will be achieved primarily due to offsets. As India is ordering a lot of foreign weapons which have minimum 30% offsets.

However complete equipment export at this level is still some distance away.
Achieving $1 billion export and coming in top 10 in one year (by 2017) is impossible.

Superdefender

We exported around $184 millions between 2010-12. So, Rs. 1 bn($150.3 millions) isn't an impossible thing.
If $182 million worth was exported in 2010-2012, then $450 million in 2017 year will be a more realistic one. And @IndxTechstyle, the target Rs. 1 billion figure for 2017 is 100 crore rupees and DM is saying Rs. 2000 crore to achieve this year. This is what I call long jump far from line of craziness. DM might have uttered wrong numbers or the publisher has written the article while drinking!!

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
If $182 million worth was exported in 2010-2012, then $450 million in 2017 year will be a more realistic one. And @IndxTechstyle, the target Rs. 1 billion figure for 2017 is 100 crore rupees and DM is saying Rs. 2000 crore to achieve this year. This is what I call long jump far from line of craziness. DM might have uttered wrong numbers or the publisher has written the article while drinking!!
Go through all of my posts throughout the thread.
http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/...e-exports-likely-to-surge-40-this-year.74433/

harsh

Country flag
We Are Serious on Indigenously Developed Products: Raksha Mantri

EXCLUSIVE Interview with India’s Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar

The face of the Indian defence industry and armed forces is changing rapidly with a strong focus on indigenisation. The man leading that change is Manohar Parrikar, India’s defence minister. Parrikar has worked extremely hard over the last one-and-a-half years to bring a complete turnaround in the defence establishment. In an exclusive interview with the DefenceAviationPost.com, which is also Parrikar’s latest interview so far, the minister spoke about his future plans and the key security issues facing the country.

Excerpts:

Q: The new Defence Procurement Policy is being referred to as a game changing policy for the sector. How do you see it altering the Indian defence growth story?

A: In the new DPP, we have tried to shift the focus on Make-in-India, to small and medium scale industry. Then, we are stressing on time-bound procedures.

The defence sector has a strange set of procurement procedures which do not normally exist for other procurements. One obvious reason is that products need to be tested as unless successful testing is done these costly equipment can’t be procured. So testing is a major criteria and this was so far not allowed to Indian private companies and was resulting into major delays. So the new DPP opens up testing facilities. Various defence PSUs are also offering facilities to the private sector. The new DPP will address these concerns of the industry in detail.

Q: Under the new policy, will companies have open access to testing facilities?

A: Yes. That’s right. But they will have a fee for it where you pay and test.

Q: The Make-in-India initiative is gaining ground. The new category of ‘Indigenously Designed, Developed and Manufactured’ (IDDM) equipment reverses the local mix from 70:30 to 30:70. Do you have any timelines for its implementation?

A: It won’t happen overnight. In the new DPP for IDDM it will be only now that things will be processed. Orders may be placed after one year and actual production will start after a year. So, it is in 2017 that we will start seeing the real impact. Of course, some push that we had given earlier would result in some shifting of the balance during the current year.

Q: We see a sudden rush from big corporates who want to invest big time in the defence sector, in manufacturing facilities and production. Already some 50 MoUs have been signed and over 350 licenses given. Is there any kind of a mechanism that you are going to put in place to monitor that everything that is being talked about actually takes-off?

A: Unlike other sectors the buyer is only one except for exports, which we have opened up. In fact, the recorded NoCs for export granted by us in spite of the fact that we have reduced the number of items under restricted export in defence, has almost tripled as compared to last year and grown by five times the earlier years. We are now touching around Rs 2000 crore this year. I expect growth of another 50%-100% because of offsets.

In the next year, we should cross Rs 1 billion in exports, which itself will be an achievement. Except the export part of it, the rest is produced and purchased by the Indian defence forces. These are part of preparations. These are not actual fructification. The fructification will happen in the current year for some in the private sector whom we are already placing orders with. In fact, Tata’s have developed 6×6 (truck for Indian army), Larsen & Toubro is in the final stage of getting the order for self-propelled guns.

Q: Will the entry of private companies affect the role of defence PSUs and DRDO?

A: PSUs are also part of Make-in-India. We are asking them to broaden their vendor base and get products outsourced so that the private industry also develops in course.

Q: Indian defence companies say their products are comparatively much cheaper to, say those supplied by US companies, like for example the ultra-light weight howitzers developed by the Kalyani Group is around 50% cheaper than that manufactured in the US. Aren’t we spending a lot for importing equipments like these?

A: I am not aware of the costs but I will definitely find out. We are serious on indigenously developed products and I will talk to them.

Q: What are the key things in the DPP that make you happy?

A: One is more flexibility. We have drafted a preamble which can guide the DPP procedure so that bottlenecks don’t take place. The other is timeline. The RFP from AOM is only six months. Third is more flexibility in determining the required parameters.

Q: Will the DPP give preference to MSMEs?

A: Introduction of IDDM in the new DPP policy is the biggest game changer. If someone can develop a design and develop a product in India, even if we are now buying from a foreign source, the subsequent purchases will have to go to IDDM.

Q: Are you happy with the budget allocation? How would you in the present constraints of fund allocation priorities your plans on modernization?

A: I don’t see a big fund constraint. Let me put it this way, in a month if a family eats say 20 kg of rice they may consume around 500 grams a day — so budgets have to be seen in that angle. What do I require today? One is my committed liabilities. I am talking about capital acquisition so if I have placed orders with the vendors then as they supply I have to go and pay. For example, Apache Helicopter for which I placed the order in October. It will be supplied in 2018. Initially, I paid some 15%. The total including the weapon package was about Rs 21,000-22,000 crore. I paid only Rs 3000 crore. How much do I require as per the calibrated payment terms — maybe I will require another Rs 1500 crore this year and Rs 1500 crore next year and maybe some Rs 5000 crore or Rs 8000 crore the year after. So what I do today has its impact in next 5-10 years and what was done in 2012-13 is going to reflect now.

Q: So, you don’t see any deficit in funds?

A: This year whatever is available to us is probably ok. If there is some minor requirement you can always go and….but I don’t think there is any big shortage of funds.

Q: What are your expectations out from the DefExpo 2016?

A: One is obviously export. Let Indian capabilities be seen by everyone. I think many foreign companies might tie-up with Indian companies for purchase from India. If not the developed countries, may be developing countries. It is also an opportunity for Indian companies to tie up with foreign collaborators and may be in some cases, an opportunity for us. So, while I say that Make-in-India is a stress point it is not at the cost of operational capability of the army, the air force or the navy.

Q: What about China and Pakistan’s participation in the Defexpo?

A: I don’t see a big issue in inviting or not inviting. Traditionally they have not been invited but I think from China we had some people to visit if I am not mistaken. There is no calibrated decision specifically taken in this regard.

Q: You could have broken this trend and extended an invite to Pakistan this time around?

A: I think the atmosphere needs to be developed still better. In principle I want a very good relation with Pakistan. There are a few steps they have taken. I hope they continue with the steps. Today, I saw a statement from Sharif that they want to stop terrorism from their land. I am not born anti-Pakistan. Depending, like we are building up confidence bridges with the Chinese, slightly higher level may result into….. we buy so many things from Pakistan…. this may also result into a better (relations).

Q: Please tell us something about your upcoming visit to China next month?

A: It’s a normal visit which happens as per schedule. They had invited me. These are processes of getting the relations better and better. They are much better than what they were two years back. They can still become better. The day might come when they agree to settle the border dispute.

Q:The double finance scrutiny first by MoD and then by finance ministry is making defence procurement cumbersome. Why should there be a double scrutiny at all?

A: Ask that question to the finance ministry. If you ask me it is a triple level — MoD, then our own finance department and then the MoF. I think it’s a case for a higher delegated power. It will be taken up but I don’t see it as a big problem. I have no problem in finance expenditure going through it.

Q: Your comments on the government’s plans to cut foreign vendor contracts by 30% in the next two years?

A: We don’t intend to cut. We intend to purchase locally so automatically the procurement from outside will reduce.

Q: In Rafale jet deal pricing is a big issue? Even the law ministry has recently raised some objections?

A: Price is equally important. While I want the aircraft I will definitely be interested in the right price. The objections are being attended to.

Q: On statements from Rafale that it’s up to India to decide?

A: I will not comment on it.

Q: Any timeline you have fixed for the Rafale deal?

A: I don’t fix timelines but I am definitely interested in finishing it as early as possible.

Q: You have said even small incidents of terrorism must be treated as war. Can you please elaborate?

A: Why does someone engage in terrorist or guerilla warfare? Guerilla warfare is resorted to when the small enemy cannot bring down the big one so he continuously nibbles or bites the big enemy piece by piece. They (militants) know they are on suicide mission still they come because they want big publicity, they want to create some sort of psychological impact so if we treat it as a war and don’t start analysing it as we analysed Pathankot, I think that would stop the attacks. The full ecosystem of the attacks will be nullified.

Q: Is there a new strategy to handle such incidents?

A: It is the strategy of the press, the media, it is a strategy of operation. I was telling them don’t start too much questioning on such things because they only strengthen the enemy.

Q: Your government is completing two years in office? How do you think it has performed?

A: I am happy because this government is doing more than reasonably well. The foundation is already there and lot of things have been done by this government which had been in limbo for last 10-12 years so I feel that in another one year we would be very clearly reaping the benefits of the seeds that have been sown by this government and things that have been done by this government.

Source: http://www.indiandefensenews.in/2016/04/we-are-serious-on-indigenously.html

Last edited by a moderator:

tsunami

Country flag
No, I said $150.3 million is target. Rs. 1 billion in ruppees.
India exported $184 million weapons between 2010-12.
So, exporting $150.3 million in one year is a big deal.
$ 1 Million is 66.67*1000,000 = 66670000 Rupees

Now Rupees 1 Billion or 100 Crore = 1000000000/66670000 ~ $ 15 Million.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
$ 1 Million is 66.67*1000,000 = 66670000 Rupees

Now Rupees 1 Billion or 100 Crore = 1000000000/66670000 ~ $ 15 Million.
My mistake. :p
$15 million is too small, India already exports $100+ million per years.
So, there must be dollars instead or ruppees.

sorcerer

Country flag
Slow And Steady: Indian Arms Exports Jump Six Folds

Aggressive diplomatic engagement along with export financing through line of credit has boosted India’s presence in the arms trade with countries located in East Asia and the Indian Ocean region.
New Delhi — India's ability to deliver defense equipment in a timely manner has attracted many small countries in last two years. According to the Indian government, defense exports have jumped six folds in in last two years only.

"The Make in India initiative has seen defense exports increase from $76 million to $450 million, though the ministry figures will show only $316 million. One reason for this is that exports of the aviation sector are not included in this as it has been delicensed.":clap2:

Of late, India has focused to supply naval equipment like patrol vessels to East Asia and island nations of the Indian Pacific region. Some of the major defense equipment exported by India are patrol vessels, helicopters & their spares, sonars & radars, avionics, radar warning receivers (RWR), small arms, small caliber ammunition, grenades, and telecommunication equipment.

Parrikar has stated that exports may be much more than government's data as 65 per cent of defense sub-segments are de-licensed by the government now and are, therefore, not in the information list of the defense ministry.

"If we include the gains from the offset clause, our defense-related exports should be about $1 billion, out of which defense items alone are worth Rs 3,000 crore, which I hope to increase it to Rs 10,000 crore soon," Parrikar added.

To garner a larger share of defense exports in small countries, the Indian government has allowed public sector defense firms to export 10 percent of their total production.

Source>>

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Slow And Steady: Indian Arms Exports Jump Six Folds

Aggressive diplomatic engagement along with export financing through line of credit has boosted India’s presence in the arms trade with countries located in East Asia and the Indian Ocean region.
New Delhi — India's ability to deliver defense equipment in a timely manner has attracted many small countries in last two years. According to the Indian government, defense exports have jumped six folds in in last two years only.

"The Make in India initiative has seen defense exports increase from $76 million to $450 million, though the ministry figures will show only $316 million. One reason for this is that exports of the aviation sector are not included in this as it has been delicensed.":clap2:

Of late, India has focused to supply naval equipment like patrol vessels to East Asia and island nations of the Indian Pacific region. Some of the major defense equipment exported by India are patrol vessels, helicopters & their spares, sonars & radars, avionics, radar warning receivers (RWR), small arms, small caliber ammunition, grenades, and telecommunication equipment.

Parrikar has stated that exports may be much more than government's data as 65 per cent of defense sub-segments are de-licensed by the government now and are, therefore, not in the information list of the defense ministry.

"If we include the gains from the offset clause, our defense-related exports should be about $1 billion, out of which defense items alone are worth Rs 3,000 crore, which I hope to increase it to Rs 10,000 crore soon," Parrikar added.

To garner a larger share of defense exports in small countries, the Indian government has allowed public sector defense firms to export 10 percent of their total production.

Source>>
What's India's rank now if somebody knows. I wanna see it in top 5 ASAP.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
What's India's rank now if somebody knows. I wanna see it in top 5 ASAP.
Don't think we can start thinking about ranks for next couple of fiscals.
But if you want to track the exports you can do it on commerce ministry website

http://www.commerce.nic.in/eidb/
HS Code for Arms and Ammunition is 93.
And for Aeronautical exports is 8802..

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag
This is peanuts! We should have been exporting at least $10 billion worth of arms/ammo per year today if we had discarded the Nehruvian policies in the 60s and established a robust military industrial complex as we are doing now.

We are 50 years too late!

Global Defence

New threads

Articles