Bullpup Assault Rifles

prateikf

Country flag
could anyone tell as to how many tar-21 have been produced in India by the OFB and how many have been inducted besides the 3700 guns which had been contracted from IMI?

Rahul Singh

Country flag
@ Anup. This is Zitara.

That OFB Zitara was cancelled and at present Tar-21 is made in OFB under this name Zitara........
I don't think so or i have missed one news. Last i know all 3000 TAR-21 was delivered in ready to use shape by Israel.

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
The QBZ-95 literally "Light weapon, Rifle, Automatic, 1995 is an assault rifle manufactured by Arsenal 266, part of Norinco and Arsenal 296, under Jianshe Corp, China South for the People's Liberation Army, the armed forces of the People's Republic of China, Chinese People's Armed Police (para-military police), and Chinese law enforcement. This weapon uses a newly-developed ammunition type of Chinese origin, the 5.8x42mm DBP87. The QBZ-95 consists of a system of firearms using a common design. This family includes a carbine variant, a standard rifle, and a light support weapon, The QBZ-95 was first observed outside China in 1997, when the United Kingdom transferred the sovereignty of Hong Kong to the People's Republic of China. It is a modern weapon system in a bullpup configuration, where the weapon's action and magazine are located behind the grip and trigger assembly. The weapon was designed to replace the standard-issue Type 81 rifle, which was similar in design to the AK-47 series.The rifle uses modern synthetic materials in its construction, fires a 5.8x42mm small-caliber high-velocity bullet (in a class with the NATO standard 5.56x45mm SS109 and the Russian 5.45x39mm), and employs a bullpup configuration like the British SA80, French FAMAS, Austrian Steyr AUG.

QBZ-95 is regular Assault rifle of Chinese Forces..

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
The Vektor CR-21 is a modern South African assault rifle (CR-21 meaning Combat Rifle 21st Century)[2] chambered for 5.56x45mm NATO ammunition. It has been designed by Denel Land Systems as a possible replacement for the South African National Defence Force's current R4 assault rifle, Internally, the CR-21 uses a slightly modified version of the action found in the R4 assault rifle, which is known for its reliability and relatively low weight. The rifle also makes significant use of high-impact polymer, with the only exposed metal part on the rifle being the front of the barrel with its integral flash suppressor. Both of these result in the rifle having a low loaded weight, of 3.72 kg (8.2 lbs). The CR-21 comes standard with a 1X magnification optical sight with an illuminated reticle that does not require batteries. This sight is mounted on a sight rail, allowing easy removal and attachment, as well as the use of a range of different sight options. The forward handgrip has been specially designed to be easily removed and replaced with a grenade launcher similar to the M203 grenade launcher. Finally, the stock has a built-in compartment which stores a cleaning kit for the rifle, removing the usual need for the soldier to carry this separately.

A CR-21 carbine was said to have been developed by Vektor. Both of their 35-round magazines are based from the R4/Galil rifles

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
The Vepr (Ukrainian: Вепрь, wild boar) was announced in 2003 as the first indigenous Ukrainian assault rifle, designed by the National Space Agency of Ukraine. Note that on the Ukrainian Government Portal website (see below in External Links), the Vepr is classed as a sub-machinegun. It is one of several bullpup conversions of the conventional AK-47 design, along with the Polish Kbk wz. 2005 Jantar, the Chinese Norinco Type 86S, the Russian KBP A-91 and OTs-14 Groza, the Finnish Valmet M82 and the South African Vektor CR-21.

Although the Vepr has been proclaimed as a revolutionary upgrade to the AK-74, it is, in fact, an interesting yet fairly simple modification of the basic AK-74 system in a bullpup design, with the following modifications:

* The standard gas-operated, rotating-bolt AK-74 mechanism is removed from its furniture and a new butt plate is mounted directly on the rear of the receiver;
* A polymer cheek rest is fitted to the receiver cover;
* The trigger and pistol grip are placed in front of the magazine;
* The cocking handle is removed from the bolt carrier and a new cocking handle arrangement is placed on the left side of the forearm.

Last edited:

JBH22

I'm totally frustrated how can South africa produce something like the CR-21 and we not:emot154:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
The line of TKB-022 experimental assault rifles is one of most intriguing developments in small arms, made in Soviet Union. In many respects these weapons, designed during early sixties by Soviet gun designer G. A. Korobov:happy_8: were many years ahead of its time. Those guns were simply too advanced for conservative-thinking Soviet Army officers who preferred simple, TKB stands for Tulskoe Kosntructorskoe Buro - Tula Design Bureau, an arms-designing organisation associated with Tula arms factory (TOZ), which later evolved into the KBP - large and famous arms design and manufacturing state-owned company. Korobov was one of the more advanced designers at KBP, and he always tried to step ahead of its time.he tried to create a compact weapon, suitable for motorized troops riding in cramped armored personnel carriers (BMP, BTR) or helicopters. Despite very compact size, this weapon retained full-length barrel (and thus effective range and lethality) of much longer standard assault rifles such as Kalashnikov AKM. In fact, TKB-022 has best barrel length to overall length ratio among most military rifles ever built.

Caliber: 7.62x39 mm M43 (also experimental 5.6x39mm)
Action: Gas operated, vertically sliding bolt
Overall length: 525 mm / 20.7"
Barrel length: 415 mm / 16.3"
Weigth: 2.8 - 2.4 kg (depending on version) / 6.2 - 5.3 lbs
Rate of fire: 560 rounds pr minute
Magazine capacity: 30 rounds

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
I'm totally frustrated how can South africa produce something like the CR-21 and we not:emot154:
SA are good also Iran & China also notice the usefulness of bullpup..
We Indians did on Insas but their no info available on the project except an old photo..

JBH22

1 question why in Indian armed forces they don't give an all black finish to the guns what's the problem with that gay color..btw when you compare Insas with other guns it doesn't appear to have good handling "ergonomics'

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
1 question why in Indian armed forces they don't give an all black finish to the guns what's the problem with that gray color..btw when you compare Insas with other guns it doesn't appear to have good handling "ergonomics'
Other gun ( M-16,G-36,AK-74 ) all have same recoil also the way we hold is similar to M-16 or any-other rifle, the distribution of weight is good which help me firing the round more accurately..

Regarding color we were issued with orange, some black are in use with SF but no further info..
Grey color is nice, anything which is dark and provide better camouflage is good..

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
The VHS is a 5.56x45mm NATO bullpup assault rifle designed and manufactured by HS Product of Croatia. The VHS rifle was first introduced at the 2007 iKA exhibition, the annual Croatian innovation display that takes place in the city of Karlovac.The development was carried on following a request from the Croatian Army for a new infantry rifle to update the individual equipment to NATO standards.

he VHS assault rifle is gas operated weapon that uses direct impingement gas system. Barrel locking is achieved by more or less traditional rotating bolt. The gun body is made from impact resistant polymer, and the gun us designed in the bullpup layout. The ejection port is on the right side of the gun only, so firing it from the left shoulder can be problematic to say the least. The charging handle is located at the top of the gun housing, and can be swung to either side to provide ambidextrous handling. The safety / fire selector is located within the trigger guard, in the front of the trigger, and is rotated around the vertical axis. When it is turned toward the trigger, the gun is safe. When safety / selector is turned to the left side, it provides full automatic fire, when it is turned to the right side, it provides semi-automatic fire (single shots). Iron sights are built into the large integral carrying handle, which also has several strong points for attachment of the Picatinny rails. Additional accessory rails can be attached to the forend of the rifle. On the full-size VHS-D rifles, the barrels are fitted with rifle grenade discharging adapters and bayonet lugs; compact VHS-K rifles have neither. Feed is from NATO-standard (M16-type) magazines.

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
The Daewoo K11

The Daewoo K11 is an assault rifle chambered to fire 5.56mm rounds, as well as 20mm air-burst shells from its overbarrel launcher. Two conventional 20mm shells either detonate immediately on impact or on a timed fuse after impact. A third type of shell is controlled by the weapon's integrated electronics to explode a few meters from the target, yielding an air burst effect capable of killing targets within a 6m area and seriously wounding those within a 8m area. Users enter a range at which the shell is to detonate, allowing targets in ditches, in buildings, or behind walls to be destroyed without requiring the shell to strike the target., The weapon is compatible with standard 20- or 30-round 5.56 mm NATO magazines, and can hold 6-round magazines of 20 mm shells, at one time, The weapon was adopted by the Republic of Korea Armed Forces in 2008 and it is planned for distribution within the Republic of Korea Army in 2009. When this happens it will be the world's first army to use an airburst rifle as standard issue in the military. Each squad is reported to be issued two K11s, though it will not replace grenadiers who currently use K2 rifles with the underslung K201 grenade launcher.

May 2010, the United Arab Emirates purchased a quantity of 40 K11s for evaluation purposes for a total cost of US$560,000, giving an indicative unit cost of US$14,000

Republic of Korea: Adopted by the Republic of Korea Armed Forces in 2010

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
k11 is one of my favorite rifle. This concept has taken from the failed US rifle, south korean has shown that they can develop better then US.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
k11 is one of my favorite rifle. This concept has taken from the failed US rifle, south korean has shown that they can develop better then US.
Mine too..
India should purchase some of these for its own future solider project..

dineshchaturvedi

Country flag
K11 seems to bulky to me, I had conversation with someone who have been working on these purchases. He told me that they are looking for refiles for CQB and K11 seems to bulky for that, I hope the context of this discussion is for purchase of those refiles only.

Logan

Country flag
All of them were fabulous Kunal Sir ,,,thanks for posting such delightful images of the most reckoned bullpup assault rifles of today...........
India hopefully would be there if the new multi caliber weapon of the F-Insas turns out to be a BULLPUP.....:happy_7:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
All of them were fabulous Kunal Sir ,,,thanks for posting such delightful images of the most reckoned bullpup assault rifles of today...........
India hopefully would be there if the new multi caliber weapon of the F-Insas turns out to be a BULLPUP.....:happy_7:
F-INSAS RIFLE PROGRAM..

My Pleasure..
Hats off to DRDO, they chooses best Bullpup Deign avaliable in today's world ( i.e FN-2000 )..

^^Both Gun look very similar for exterior, As per my knowledge SPG is in use of FN-2000, Its not difficult to make out some of the rifle ended-up in DRDO lab for tests.. lol

The IDEA of Multical-Rifle..
the Idea of Multical-Rifle came from TAVOR, When IA purchased TAR-21 it also ordered battlefield 9mm conversion kit from IMI, the kit is used to convert 5.56mm to 9mm carbine in mid of battle, It is now clear that the kit also the some of the rifle ended-up in DRDO lab, where our guys figured out the possibility of making different conversion kits namely: 7.62NATO, 7.62RUSSIAN, 5.56NATO, for the same rifle, the different kits make sense in the battle for example:

5.56mm will be used for regular solider, but when needed for sniper role the rifle can immediately change into 7.62nato for long-range shootings,
Again in CT environment where Soldiers feel for better punching the rifle can be changed for 7.62Russian, therefore in a same squad you will have Sniper/Assault rifle in hands of a single solider..

9MM conversion kit for tavor..

9mm version..

5.56mm version of same rifle..

I can bet on one thing that DRDO already have a working model of F-INSAS rifle ( Probably of 5.56mm ) and working on other conversion kits..
But I need to remind one thing that BULLPUP have one problem is abt case ejection over soldiers face, FN-2000 solves the problem by having forward ejection system of casings, I hope DRDO do have the forward ejection casing system on F-INSAS rifle..

FN-2000 forward case ( Brass ) ejection system, also for safty it goes downwards..

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles