26/11 Mumbai attacks: Trial and related developments

Pintu

New Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2009
Messages
12,082
Likes
346
The Economic Times reports that The Hon'ble Justice M.L. Tahilyani , rules that Kasab is a major aged at least 21 years.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...-an-adult-rules-judge/articleshow/4476228.cms


Kasab is an adult, rules judge
2 May 2009, 1822 hrs IST, IANS

MUMBAI: Pakistani terrorist Mohammed Ajmal Amir alias Kasab is a major, aged at least 21, Special Judge M.L. Tahilyani, who is conducting the
Mumbai terror attacks trial, ruled here on Saturday.

Kasab, the lone captured member of the 10-member terror squad that attacked this city Nov 26 last year, had filed a petition before the special court that he is a minor and should be tried in a court meant for juveniles.
 

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Joined
Mar 24, 2009
Messages
24,323
Likes
11,734
Country flag
Pak police submits challan, proof against 26/11 suspects

ISLAMABAD: Pakistani police on Monday submitted to an anti-terrorism court the "challan" with evidence against five Lashkar-e-Taiba operatives arrested on suspicion of involvement in the Mumbai attacks.

The challan was submitted to anti-terror judge Sakhi Muhammad Kahut, who is hearing the case related to the five LeT operatives in the high-security Adiala Jail in the garrison city of Rawalpindi. The hearings are being conducted in-camera.

Shahbaz Rajput, the counsel for LeT operatives Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi, Zarar Shah, Hamad Amin Sadiq, Abu al Qama and Shahid Jameel Riaz, said Justice Kahut had set May 12 as the next date of hearing for the case.

With the submission of the challan and evidence on Tuesday, the charges against the five suspects are expected to be framed at the next hearing.

"They will be formally informed about the charges being brought against them and then the formal trial can get underway," Rajput said.

Lakhvi, the operations commander of the LeT, was arrested during a raid by the army near Muzaffarabad, the capital of Pakistan-occupied Kashmir, in December last year.

India has accused him of masterminding and planning the Mumbai attacks that killed over 180 people.

Authorities have framed charges against the five suspects under the Anti-Terrorism Act, Pakistan Penal Code and a cyber crimes law.

Security at the Adiala Jail has been tightened with the deployment of 300 additional personnel and installation of anti-aircraft guns following reports that militants could attempt a jailbreak to free Lakhvi and the other suspects.

Interior Minister Rehman Malik had last month confirmed the arrest of a sixth suspect in connection with the Mumbai attacks but his identity has not been revealed so far.
 

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Joined
Mar 24, 2009
Messages
24,323
Likes
11,734
Country flag
Kasab charged with waging war on India

NEW DELHI: A special court on Wednesday charged Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab, the lone survivor of Mumbai terror attacks, with waging war on India.

Ajmal Kasab pleaded not guilty to 86 charges which were formally put to him at a special prison court in Mumbai that is hearing evidence about the November 26-29 attacks.

Kasab, wearing a buttoned-down mauve shirt and blue jeans, looked relaxed as he replied in Hindi to the indictment, AFP reported.

"It is all wrong," he told the court. "I do not accept the charges."

In court documents, Kasab gave his full name as Mohammed Ajmal Mohammed Amir Kasab and stated he was a labourer from Faridkot in Pakistani Punjab.

He signed the papers, saying that he understood the charges against him.

The charges, which run to 50 pages, were read out in court by Judge ML Tahiliyani.

They include waging war against India, destabilising the government, murder, kidnap, robbery and "causing terror," as well as smuggling illegal arms and high explosives into the country.

The trial court on Tuesday obtained sanctions from the Centre and the Maharashtra government to prosecute Kasab and two others.

Special public prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam filed "sanctions" that pertain to offences such as waging war against the nation, violation of Customs Act (by illegally bringing firearms to India), infringement of Explosives Act and Explosives Substances Act (using explosives) and Arms Act (opening fire with sophisticated weapons.

Judge M L Tahaliyani accepted the "sanctions" and said the court would frame charges against the trio after considering the material against them.

Nikam informed the court that the prosecution had obtained sanction from the customs department to prosecute Kasab under Customs Act.

Kasab and his Pakistani associates had brought arms illegally to India to strike terror in Mumbai, the prosecutor said.

Union government has also given sanction to prosecute Kasab and others under IPC for "waging war against the nation".

If found guilty, the accused may face punishment ranging from death sentence to life imprisonment.
 

Flint

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 10, 2009
Messages
1,621
Likes
155
Of course he's going to get death penalty, whether tomorrow or next year or after ten years depends on how many spanners he and his lawyer manage to put in the works.
 

Pintu

New Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2009
Messages
12,082
Likes
346
^^^ Yes Flint , I know and agree with that and that's why I wrote that the report is of definite possibility of Kasav's death penalty. and I am also supporter of capital punishment of Kasab.

Regards
 

johnee

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2009
Messages
3,473
Likes
496
Kasab's trial could drag on for 5 years

"I was hoping the trial would be over in four months," Nikam said. "But with the defence not admitting any documents, I am pretty sure the trial will take at least five years to finish."
Nikam said the same thing had happened in the 1993 serial blasts case trial, which dragged on for 12 years....
Nikam argued: "Kazmi has been appointed at the cost of the public exchequer....
Judge ML Tahilyani then tried to reason with Kazmi that some of the documents were not against Ajmal.....
Kazmi didn't budge...

If and when it completes he will be number 23 in death row, Afzal his senior would still be there
This farce of a trial will expose all the current loopholes in our laws making it easier for upcoming pigs to plan accordingly. :((


Meanwhile, Kasab has fun at the expense of public exchequer........
.......Kasab kept laughing at the witness.......
.........This invited the wrath of Judge M L Tahaliyani, who warned Kasab to behave properly in the court. The judge told him that all the time he was seen laughing.

"Keep away this casual attitude and show some seriousness," the judge said.
Judge raps Kasab for laughing at witness
 

F-14

Global Defence Moderator
Senior Member
Joined
Apr 20, 2009
Messages
1,563
Likes
25
its time that we send this 1st Class morons to Hell ASAP where are the @#!#$ "Social workers" how will rub Salt in to the victems for these bastards

PS :sorry for thr bad words hope you guys share my fustration
 

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Joined
Mar 24, 2009
Messages
24,323
Likes
11,734
Country flag
LeTs brothers in SWAT are killing and they are nursing the wounds of those fleeing the fighting?
 

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Senior Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2009
Messages
7,550
Likes
1,296
LeTs brothers in SWAT are killing and they are nursing the wounds of those fleeing the fighting?
Completely agree. This menace has to be stopped.
 

johnee

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2009
Messages
3,473
Likes
496
In the confusion of war, couldn't a stray missile 'accidentally' find its way into the heart of the LeTs operations:wink:
Alas, no other country can have such daring, efficient and powerful non-state actors. That privilege is reserved for only one country: Pakistan.
 

Pintu

New Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2009
Messages
12,082
Likes
346
Photographer presents snaps of CST firing

Photographer presents snaps of CST firing

Posted: Tuesday , Jun 16, 2009 at 0007 hrs IST

Mumbai: Photojournalist Sebastian D’Souza deposed in court on Monday and produced over 100 pictures he had shot of Ajmal Kasab and his slain partner Abu Ismail Khan firing at CST. He had risked his life to take those photos.

D’Souza, who also won a special mention at the World Press Photo Awards this year, identified Kasab as one of the gunmen and said, “How would I not identify this man? He also made me famous,” he told the court.

D’Souza, who works with an English daily, told the court that he heard a blast from CST, went inside and saw the two terrorists. He hid inside a train and took photos till they left from the foot over Bridge. Defence lawyer Abbas Kazmi asked him why he did not follow the terrorist outside the station; D’Souza replied, “I was scared.”

Railway police commando Geetanjali Gurav, too, admitted she had been scared. She had been told by deceased policemen Shashank Shinde to help him take passengers out of the station but said she was stuck because of the firing. When she said she had been scared, the judge asked, “But you are a commando who has been trained in handling arms¿ It shows adversely on your personality.” Gurav repeated, “Sir, I was scared”.

The prosecution examined two other witnesses. Harshad Patil of the GRP said he had fired one round at the terrorists when his rifle jammed. Constable Sudham Pandarkar, who survived a bullet through the chest, said he fired two rounds but missed the terrorists.

The prosecution has examined 62 witnesses so far.

Self-lessons
D’Souza told the court that he was a self-taught photographer and took no professional course in photography. Kazmi said he did not understand and judge Tahaliyani explained, “I am a self-taught computer expert and can handle my laptop without having taken any professional course. My staff have taken a course in basic computing and they sometimes come with problems to me.”
 

Pintu

New Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2009
Messages
12,082
Likes
346
Maharashtra govt tables action taken report on 26/11

Maharashtra govt tables action taken report on 26/11

Priyanka Kakodkar, Tuesday June 16, 2009, Mumbai



The Maharashtra government has tabled the action taken report on Pradhan Committee findings in 26/11 lapses in the state assembly.

The Opposition has raised objections to the Pradhan Committee finding not being tabled in the assembly, following which, the assembly has been adjourned for 20 minutes.

Just before tabling the report, the state government took care to remove Police Commissioner Hasan Gafoor, who has been severely indicted by the report, which at the same time praises the overall response of the police force.

The Mumbai Police Commissioner should have taken command on 26/11, or at least appeared to take command. There are harsh words against Hasan Gafoor in the Pradhan Committee Report that has already cost him his post.

The report said that Gafoor stationed himself outside the Trident and gave instructions from there. He did not take charge of the control room to avoid duplication of efforts by different police teams. He went against the standard operating procedure laid down to deal with a terror strike.

As per the rules, Joint Commissioner of Police (Law and order) K L Prasad, who is in-charge of all police stations in the city, should have been in the control room. He would have been quicker at sending troops to different sites. Instead, Gafoor asked Joint Police Commissioner (Crime) Rakesh Maria to take over.

In fact, the Pradhan Committee has slammed the entire police leadership for not following emergency systems. It asks what is the point of a standard operating procedure if it is not followed?

The report is not all anti-police. It praises A N Roy, the Director General of Police, and Joint Police Commissioner (Crime) Rakesh Maria, in-charge of the control room that night and several junior officers.

The Pradhan committee also voices a critical concern... about Mumbai police's lack of equipment...

It is no surprise then that the state came under pressure to act on its findings, especially since India's commercial capital cannot afford to not have the best force.
 

ZOOM

Founding Member
Regular Member
Joined
Feb 17, 2009
Messages
577
Likes
11
Transfer of Hasan Gafoor alone will not going to solve entire mess, infact there are many high level Policemans including ATS Chief Hemant Karkare were entitled for such punishment, since even ATS Chief's standard duty was to present in a control room and coordinate the entire operation, rather then participating in action.

Even Mumbai at that dreadful night had a availability of One Infantary Division of Indian Army alongwith Black cat cammando's of Indian Navy, but nobody bring them and take on Terrorist unleashing their terror.
 

Pintu

New Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2009
Messages
12,082
Likes
346
26/11 report tabled at Maharashtra Assembly- Hindustan Times

26/11 report tabled at Maharashtra Assembly

Indo-Asian News Service
Mumbai, June 16, 2009
First Published: 11:31 IST(16/6/2009)
Last Updated: 11:37 IST(16/6/2009)

A deeply divided Maharashtra cabinet on Tuesday continued discussions on the report of the Ram Pradhan committee into the 26/11 terror attacks with some ministers proposing another panel to study it and others questioning why only former police commissioner Hasan Gafoor had been singled out for transfer.

The report, scheduled to be tabled in the legislature on Tuesday afternoon, was discussed threadbare at the cabinet meeting on Monday evening. On Tuesday, the cabinet met again for two hours to continue the debate, said official sources.

Worried by the possibility of an opposition onslaught on the ruling Democratic Front government over the report, some cabinet members have proposed setting up another committee to study it in detail, an official said.

Referring to some reports that the Mumbai Police was given a clean chit, it is learnt that some ministers wanted to know why former police commissioner Hasan Gafoor was the only one to be singled out for a transfer.

Others said the report had clearly spoken of 'intelligence failure' and questioned the appointment of D Shivananandan, commissioner of the State Intelligence Department at the time of the terror attacks, as city police chief, disclosed an official privy to the discussion.

The issue of the sudden transfer of 17 Indian Police Service officers last Saturday and the fate of then Maharashtra director general of police A N Roy also came up.

After the report was submitted last fortnight, the government had set up a two-member committee comprising Chief Secretary Johny Joseph and Additional Chief Secretary (home) Chandra Iyengar to prepare an action taken report (ATR).

Chief Minister Ashok Chavan had said the Pradhan Committee report and the ATR would be presented before the legislature simultaneously.

Tuesday is the last day of the legislature's monsoon-cum-budget session. The government has already come under attack from the opposition for not allowing a discussion on the Pradhan Committee report by deliberately tabling it on the final day.
 

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles

Top