Would US Lease Naval Base to India in Guam??

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
imo india should make a pact with usa to have a military tie up wrt to guam base.we can train and learn with each other.it gives an immense oppurunity to indians to have a look at world's best navy and we can have a step wise deterrence to china naval presence in the region
@W.G.Ewald
Naval Base Guam
Exercise Spitting Cobra 2010 concluded successfully April 22 after two weeks of intense training and simulations between the U.S. and Indian Navy on Guam.

During the exercise, explosive ordnance disposal (EOD) technicians from each country's Navy worked together and learned from one another.

In its seventh year, the annual joint exercise saw interaction between Sailors of EOD Mobile Unit (EODMU) 5 and members of the Indian Navy. The service members participated in a variety of training activities, including demolition exercises, helicopter operations and hostage threat simulations.
US, Indian Navy Participate in Spitting Cobra 2010

Last edited by a moderator:

drkrn

Before we even think about it, I would like to ask, do we really NEED a base in far away Guam ??? Do we need a presence in the Pacific Ocean at present???

IMO in the current security scenario, I think Guam is way off target and would become a white elephant if at all base is established.

As the other members suggested, Taiwan, Diego Garcia, Vietnam and philippines are more strategic.
few good points raised.i would add few questions.

1.does india have the interest of raising a true,potant blue water navy?
2.does india wish to become a superpower?
3.does india wish to counter china militarily in IOR?

guam base can be used to choke chinese navy at that region.with usage of small force its possible to have good results.

true,it is a costly affair to maintain a base that far.but to contain china,offense is the best defence.

taiwan is out of option.even usa is worried to face china wrt taiwan.we can never have a base there.
diego gracia--- are you kidding?
vietnam and phillipines are good options.

drkrn

by seeing the image itself one should get an idea of ,the strategic placement of guam naval base. @kseeker we cannot afford to build a new base at guam.so,its good to share it with usa.

philippines would be a better bet than vietnam imo.

scs has a possibility of having extensive oil reserves for which each and every neighbour country is fighting.we could possibly have some share of oil by making friends in that region.
for defending their/our interests we need to have military presence in that area

my personal opinion

happy

@drkrn I dont get it. Whats wrong with Diego Garcia ???

drkrn

@drkrn I dont get it. Whats wrong with Diego Garcia ???
its a full fledged american naval base with,maybe with highly classified weaponry.moreover i do not see any specific advantage india has by having a base there.

as usa donot have any land here in ior they needed a base,so they leased it from british.

why us?we have plenty of land here.

happy

its a full fledged american naval base with,maybe with highly classified weaponry.moreover i do not see any specific advantage india has by having a base there.

as usa donot have any land here in ior they needed a base,so they leased it from british.

why us?we have plenty of land here.
Yes. You are right. But it is also strategic to counter China's String of Pearls. It may be difficult to arm twist america but it is worth a try rather than Guam.

happy

few good points raised.i would add few questions.

1.does india have the interest of raising a true,potant blue water navy?
2.does india wish to become a superpower?
3.does india wish to counter china militarily in IOR?

guam base can be used to choke chinese navy at that region.with usage of small force its possible to have good results.

true,it is a costly affair to maintain a base that far.but to contain china,offense is the best defence.

taiwan is out of option.even usa is worried to face china wrt taiwan.we can never have a base there.
diego gracia--- are you kidding?
vietnam and phillipines are good options.
Who can answer and who will especially on a public forum ???

AFAIK, problem that may arise from Guam is logistics. If at all we get even berthing rights at Diego Garcia it would be big boost for our purposes. The red pin is DG.

kseeker

Retired
Gentlemen,

A question to all.

Do you even think, US would share any of their base with India ? I don't think so. Moreover, we are not even in alliance with US such as NATO. Why would they even bother to ask for sharing their military bases ?

US is showing goodwill gesture to us since last few years only because of economics and some common interest.

It's even futile to anticipate that, they will offer us their elite technologies (of course NO ToT) leave aside offering a base where they have complete control.

happy

Gentlemen,

A question to all.

Do you even think, US would share any of their base with India ? I don't think so. Moreover, we are not even in alliance with US such as NATO. Why would they even bother to ask for sharing their military bases ?

US is showing goodwill gesture to us since last few years only because of economics and some common interest.

It's even futile to anticipate that, they will offer us their elite technologies (of course NO ToT) leave aside offering a base where they have complete control.
This is just another of our US fanboys wet dream as is evident from the very first post :laugh:

drkrn

Who can answer and who will especially on a public forum ???

AFAIK, problem that may arise from Guam is logistics. If at all we get even berthing rights at Diego Garcia it would be big boost for our purposes. The red pin is DG.

i never said that india should start a new base,all i said is to use already existing american naval facilities for our ships.

in your opinion how will dg boost IN??

drkrn

Gentlemen,

A question to all.

if they wish to keep india in their kitty.they may.

india is given/being given a special position which usa is not offering till date even for its key allies.

usa can't force india to join nato as usa knew very well that if india is forced to chose between the two russia is the choice.

true economics is driving the relations.why shouldn't we take the maximal advantage??

happy

i never said that india should start a new base,all i said is to use already existing american naval facilities for our ships.

in your opinion how will dg boost IN??
IMO it would serve as a FOB to counter china's string of pearls. Strategically situated deep inside the indian ocean. Subs can replenish and refuel and go on long patrols instead of always returning to the mainland. No one will be able to predict the sub location. And so on and so forth.

kseeker

Retired
if they wish to keep india in their kitty.they may.

india is given/being given a special position which usa is not offering till date even for its key allies.

usa can't force india to join nato as usa knew very well that if india is forced to chose between the two russia is the choice.

true economics is driving the relations.why shouldn't we take the maximal advantage??
Trade, economy, friendship is fine ! however, becoming a lackey of US just like S Korea, Japan, Philippines, NO NEVER !

S Korea, Japan, Philippines etc need US permission even when they want to fart on their enemy's face !

drkrn

Trade, economy, friendship is fine ! however, becoming a lackey of US just like S Korea, Japan, Philippines, NO NEVER !

S Korea, Japan, Philippines etc need US permission even when they want to fart on their enemy's face !
they gave usa a base in their country, i am asking india to have a base on usa island

rugved

I don't think this is possible till Obama remains the president.

abingdonboy

Country flag
Given the fact the GoI is still unwilling to even have a discussion about the LSA then these sorts of agreements/deals are a LONG way off.

I don't know if it is pacifism or a hangover of Nehru but the GoI and Indian political class do not seem to think pro-actively on strategic matters rather a select group of beauracrats and military officials take small steps to keep India in a rather good positon but with a more foreword thinking leadership the situation could be A LOT better.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles