Why Indians are so much obsessed with English Language?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
Yes , those who fail to generate Jobs at home praise English so that their populations can be enslaved in English speaking countries..

The present day Pakistan adopted Urdu - a language not spoken by Punjabies, Kashmiries, Sindhies, Baluchies, Pathans and any other but only by UP and Bihar wala Muhajirs..

That is not bad and Pakistanis have not suffered any thing due to that.....

Knowing English as a second language is alright for elites like you but the language of governance and administration has to be the local language and continues to be so....

And what English do the educated Indians know ? They are trained in an English in Macaulay mould only to be fit as a clerk or a Babu to fill registers and type a draft....
You take the cake mate. First comparing Pakistan to India. Then claiming pakistan has not suffered for not adopting English. The BPO and IT industry on which our economy boomed develeped only beacuse we had a English speaking population.

TrueSpirit1

The Nobody
Banned
That was because English was not omitted in all India level, WB is part of India, if we need to change whole India needs to change not only WB. So dreaming of changing system only in WB and not in other part India is naive. It is simple.
Ok, lets omit English from India. So that, remaining India becomes as developed as W.Bengal did in Commie era.

I am saying Hindustani in Roman script not Hindi in Devnagri script, Hindustani was official language of INA Government.

If Hindustani is made national language then all who knows this well will get jobs through out India, just like during British era those who knew English good got jobs through out India.
Why are you so obsessed with past ? Present days issues can be handled by present-day solutions & forward-looking approach, as well. We need not look into the era of Indian slavery & wretchedness for solutions to all our problems.

Really? You know Bihari and UP immigrants are making Bengalis in WB minority? You know Bengalis are minority in Kolkata, Siliguri? How many shops now use Bengali language written sign boards?

Christians & Muslims have rendered everyone (all native civilizations) a minority. So, what is the point ?

We will be Indian not by eliminating our different language, just following unity in diversity, and that is when you settle in different area learn their language similarly when people from those area will settle in your state they should adopt local language.
So, the concept of productivity & pragamtism has not even touched you. There are more important things in life, real matters/challenges to attend, than wasting one's entire life in learning regional languages.

If you know Hindi, you can navigate & thrive in any part of India. This is reality. Face it. You cannot change it.

If you know English, i.e. really communicate yourself in an articulate manner, the world is at your feet. & this, you would learn the hard way, once you graduate from college.

The problem is Hindiwalas come and settle in WB but dont adopt Bengali culture atleast dont speak Bengali and all Indianistic Bengalis dont care about this.
Everyone settles somewhere. ANI-ASI also came here from Africa. So ?

Why are so insecure about Bengali culture ? Bengali thrived even before you were born & it would continue to flourish long after your grandsons have kids. Your benign intervention in uncalled for.

If language jingoism is the problem, then this problem comes from Hindiwalas, not Bengalis or Tamil, Hindiwalas through out country try to force Hindi but Tamils only in Tamilnadu.
Hindiwalas do it because they can (that's the inherent advantage of being a Hindi-bhaashi in India) & they do it even in TamilNadu. I know enough people who have worked in Chennai for years but cannot make out even the simplest of words in Tamil. I doubt they ever would, even if they wanted to. But, they flourish.

Hindi rules India. English rules the world. I have spent lion's share of my professional life in Scandinavia. English works like anything.

Come out from college to face the real world & try changing the way things are.

Waffen SS

Ok, lets omit English from India. So that, remaining India becomes as developed as W.Bengal did in Commie era.
If Russians can omit English continue in science and technology then why Indians cat? And it was not language that prevented, Germans dont speak English among themselves are not they modern?

Why are you so obsessed with past ? Present days issues can be handled by present-day solutions & forward-looking approach, as well. We need not look into the era of Indian slavery & wretchedness for solutions to all our problems.
So, in your logic studying mother tongue is pastism, if so then hence Germans study in German language so they are past oriented :facepalm:

Christians & Muslims have rendered everyone (all native civilizations) a minority. So, what is the point ?
Wrong, Christianity and Islam are religions, such as Iran was un-Islamic, now they are Muslim, so what is your point? They converted. Iran remained Iran despite changing their religion, can you remain Hindi-bhasi if you stop speaking Hindi? No.

So, the concept of productivity & pragamtism has not even touched you. There are more important things in life, real matters/challenges to attend, than wasting one's entire life in learning regional languages.
If you settle in WB you learn Bengali, if you settle in Tamilnadu, learn Tamil.

If you know Hindi, you can navigate & thrive in any part of India. This is reality. Face it. You cannot change it.
As I said no problem with Hindi in all India level but not in state level where people dont speak Hindi, such as KA, TN.

If you know English, i.e. really communicate yourself in an articulate manner, the world is at your feet. & this, you would learn the hard way, once you graduate from college.
And I am not against English education, what i am against that is extra-preference given to English, in my all posts did I ever say stop English language learning?

Everyone settles somewhere. ANI-ASI also came here from Africa. So ?
Dont go to too past and it is irrelevant here.

Why are so insecure about Bengali culture ? Bengali thrived even before you were born & it would continue to flourish long after your grandsons have kids. Your benign intervention in uncalled for.
I am a Bengali, and I tell you, educated Bengali middle class family's children dont go to Bengali schools any more, they speak more English than Bengali, all WB main cities are full with Hindi-bhasis and they dont speak Bengali, neither Bengalis force them to speak Bengali. Strong love for language which exists in TN, that does not exist in WB, many Bengali children cant even read or write Bengali language, CBSE board schools dont teach Bengali. So lots of causes to be worried.

Hindiwalas do it because they can (that's the inherent advantage of being a Hindi-bhaashi in India) & they do it even in TamilNadu. I know enough people who have worked in Chennai for years but cannot make out even the simplest of words in Tamil. I doubt they ever would, even if they wanted to. But, they flourish.

Hindi rules India. English rules the world. I have spent lion's share of my professional life in Scandinavia. English works like anything.

Come out from college to face the real world & try changing the way things are.
As you said, staying in Chennai but not learning Hindi is the main cause that angers Tamils. The root cause anti-Hindi agitation is here.

All India level Hindustani okay, and in world English okay.

Of course we must study English but we will learn our subject in our mother tongue, like the way Europeans do.:)

Last edited:

pkroyal

English is the language of scientific temper.

It is also the language which has evolved ,assimilated & grown.

A large portion of Business people practice it.

When you present a CV & mention verbal & written expression, it invariably means ability /skill in English language.

Indians are good at picking up English language ( list of spell bee winners)

English is the big ticket for success within & without, ignore it at your own peril.

I personally would not have given a damn if it was Latin / Greek or Sanskrit, till such time it had Universal acceptability.

Eastman

Country flag
But all of 3 region A-B-C of Indian Union Official numbering system will still be in English numbers.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
We are against extra preference that is given to English some times neglecting mother tongue and English medium education, but not study of English,can you understand?
What is extra preference?

Preference is an individual's choice.

Analyse why, rather than go ballistic on all.

My children have been educated in KVs. 11 KVs in 12 years!

What preference did they have or I have?

They were not taught Bengali since they were in KVs.

Yet my nephew and niece who were born in the US and are American citizens are fluent in Bengali. That is because there are facilities to learn the language, even though English is the first language.

Preference and Opportunity!

The extra obsession as I said is proved because many Indian parents feel pride that their children dont speak Indian languages, not sending children to mother tongue education, speaking English sentences in middle of Indian language are not example of obsession?
I wonder who feels proud that they cannot speak their mother tongue.

On speaking English in between the vernacular, I presume it is because they are out of practice. Having been professionally in an environment where it was only English or Hindi, there are times, when I interpose with English or Hindi. Sad, but it is the fallout of the environment! On the other hand, when I say Bhaoinok pipasha payeche, the Bengalis laugh that I am using chaste words. Likewise, I use Pipilika for ants which they say is Pipre. Again, it is the environment at play!

And you think I support that policy? WB Commie government did not want to change India, they wanted to make vote bank in WB. And stopping English education in Government school then sending their own children to English medium school is unacceptable. Changing India was just their excuse to create vote bank.
I would not say that all Communists sen their children to English medium schools. That would be not correct.

It was to keep Bengal poor so that they could rave and rant that the Centre was doing nothing for Bengal on employment generation. Communists thrive where their is poverty!

And what about Brain drain then? Can you imagine if those people of Andhra remained in India, how greatly we would be benefited? Hindustani is not Hindi, Netaji proposed it, and Southern states if Hindi is not imposed on them on state level, they will not do any thing.
What about the Brain Drain?

Pay well and the brain would get drained.Pay peanuts and you will have monkey at play!

The world has changed extraordinarily from Netaji's time.

If we were to follow the advice of all our national leaders of that time, then we would be spinning the charkha and not working on machinery to get efficiency and profit thereof!

I told you that Hindoostani is not Hindi. sop what are you telling me?

I have gone through training in the military on Hindoostani. That is why I know many Urdu words and find them quite nice to the ear!

I am well aware of that fact, infact Hindustani was mixture of Hindi-Urdu and Bengali, ok if Hindustani is too much Hindi oriented then we can use Hinglish(simple Hindi+English) in Roman script.

Commies were not ultra-Bengalis and there is not Ultra-Bengalism in WB.

As I said Commies did that in a state level plus their hidden agenda was to create vote bank. Not to change system. Over all if English medium education is to be banned that it should be done through out India, people's children will go to local language school and Babus children will go to International Christian Missionary school, no.:tsk: :tsk:
Heard of the Proutist Party that failed?

One can ban English throughout India, but the problem will be that there will be no consensus on the alternate Indian language. Imposition of Hindi has been tried in Central Govt and it has proved unsuccessful. There was one day when Hindi had to be used for official correspondence and it was found that only 'acknowledgements' were given in Hindi!

Why should Hindi speaking chaps have to speak the local language and vice versa?

This is a free country.

As I said if Central Government works are done in Hindustani, then no problem, if Hindiwalas in WB speak Hindi among themselves no problem, but at least they can try to speak Bengali here locally.

When they come and settle here it is expect that they should adopt Bengali language, similarly if a Bengali settles in UP, then it is expected him to adopt Hindi.

I say each state to their respective languages, Bengalis will settle in UP and then will cry for Bengali is not acceptable, because Bengalis are not local of UP, similarly UP walas come here and continue to speak Hindi, no.

For more simple- No multilanguageism in any state.

In all states only 2 language will prevail 1) Local language(in WB Bengali, in UP Hindi, no matter what is your back ground) 2) Hindustani.
Aren't you the one who is fond of Hitler and the Nazis?

If Hitler comes, then what you say will be axiomatic!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Sir, you have seen J.B.S.Haldane ? Must be some sight....Did he appear as smart & brilliant as he actually was ?
I was fortunate.

My granduncle was Prof PC Mahalanobis and the Indian Statistical Institute is actually his property till he gave it to the Institute.

JBS Haldane was working as a Professor out there.

I have been fortunate to have met Neils Bohr, Igor Tamm, Rutherford, Chou en Lai and many other international luminaries thanks to my being there as they were visiting Prof Mahalanobis and the ISI. I just happened to be with my granduncle!

I did not even realise that these were moments to cherish since I was still a child of sorts.

Mr Panesar the nationally acclaimed collage master was also there in the NSS which was a part of the ISI!

p2prada

@p2prada education through mother tongue novel idea. Yes for economic purpose it may be less active but it is scientific.
Yeah, you can finish basic school in a vernacular language, then what?

Most of our business happens in vernacular languages anyway. So, there's no problem there. I read somewhere that 90% of businesses in India don't rely on English.

However education is not like business. Education in your mother tongue is a very bad idea, especially in the fields of medicine, engineering, science and law. By not teaching your kid English, you are shutting him out of all the above fields in India.

I wonder if you have a word like pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis in Bengali or whatever your vernacular is?

If Germans, French can become modern by studying their mother tongue then we Indians cant? Why we Indians have to depend on a foreign language?
The Germans and the French pioneered most of our current progress. A better example would have been Japan, Korea and now China.

Even with the Japanese, Koreans and Chinese, they are a homogeneous entity, Indians are not. India is something like Europe or Africa and India is more diverse than both the continents. Japan, China and Korea have just one language as a majority. They could bring in a system where they could teach in just one medium of instruction. Imagine if the entirety of India spoke Tamil or Bengali, that's China. That's when you can bring in one system of education.

But in India's case, bringing in such a system is ludicrous. And this is not even considering the political fallout. If you compare us to Europe, then there will be technical education in Kannada in Karnataka, Tamil in TN, Bengali in WB, Hindi in Delhi and so on just like how they have it in Europe. It is practically impossible to bring such people together in a single national project. It is happening in Europe today, they are not really able to work together.

However, do you know that the Japanese value English education very highly? Do you know that English is a compulsory language from the age of 10 in Japan? Do you know that more than 2.5 million students write the official STEP English test every year in Japan? Do you know that Japanese school students who know English get more preference in universities over ones who don't? Why is it that even the Japanese know the importance of English? You tell me. It is no different with the Koreans.

The Chinese, they actually wish they were in our place, where they knew English.
English education still a priority[1]|chinadaily.com.cn

Yeah, even the Chinese give more importance to English now.

Except the Europeans everybody else place a high emphasis on learning English. That's why the Europeans are being left behind now. If they want to keep up, even they will have to start studying English and Mandarin.

And the importance of English has nothing to do with UK or England, it is another country across the ocean from England who have made English popular, so English's importance in India has nothing to do with the colonial era.

Last edited by a moderator:

Waffen SS

What is extra preference?

Preference is an individual's choice.

Analyse why, rather than go ballistic on all.

My children have been educated in KVs. 11 KVs in 12 years!

What preference did they have or I have?

They were not taught Bengali since they were in KVs.

Yet my nephew and niece who were born in the US and are American citizens are fluent in Bengali. That is because there are facilities to learn the language, even though English is the first language.

Preference and Opportunity!
I explained. You are an ex-Military with chance of getting transferred through out India, so how your children can learn Bengali?:hmm:

But not all are from Military or any job that has probability of getting transferred through out India, why they dont send their son in local language schools? Is not it extra preference?

I know for Military people's children that is extremely difficult to send their sons to mother tongue education because they have to travel all India.

I wonder who feels proud that they cannot speak their mother tongue.
Many takes pride, they are ultra-modern half in English and half in mother tongue. Just watch current Hindi movies.

On speaking English in between the vernacular, I presume it is because they are out of practice. Having been professionally in an environment where it was only English or Hindi, there are times, when I interpose with English or Hindi. Sad, but it is the fallout of the environment! On the other hand, when I say Bhaoinok pipasha payeche, the Bengalis laugh that I am using chaste words. Likewise, I use Pipilika for ants which they say is Pipre. Again, it is the environment at play!
That is because we are shameless, if we speak beautiful English(with beautiful words) people will praise us, if we say Shuddha Bangla or Hindi people will lough. :wtf:

Colonial hang over.

I would not say that all Communists sen their children to English medium schools. That would be not correct.

It was to keep Bengal poor so that they could rave and rant that the Centre was doing nothing for Bengal on employment generation. Communists thrive where their is poverty!
About Central Government I agree, but Commies also started Militant Trade organization movement(CITU), Industrialists get scared and fled. All factories closed, and ranting again. :truestory:

Many sent their sons to private Bengali medium school as well, where English was taught.

What about the Brain Drain?

Pay well and the brain would get drained.Pay peanuts and you will have monkey at play!

The world has changed extraordinarily from Netaji's time.
I know world changed, and pay is crucial factor to stop Brain drain, but Government's strict policy and patriotism can stop some how.

If we were to follow the advice of all our national leaders of that time, then we would be spinning the charkha and not working on machinery to get efficiency and profit thereof!
Wrong only Gandhiji was in favour of Charka, Netaji and Nehru were against it, and so were others.

I told you that Hindoostani is not Hindi. sop what are you telling me?

I have gone through training in the military on Hindoostani. That is why I know many Urdu words and find them quite nice to the ear!
Then why you fear imposing Hindi will halt Nation and Tamils will oppose it? :frusty:

I am well aware of that fact, infact Hindustani was mixture of Hindi-Urdu and Bengali, ok if Hindustani is too much Hindi oriented then we can use Hinglish(simple Hindi+English) in Roman script.

Heard of the Proutist Party that failed?

One can ban English throughout India, but the problem will be that there will be no consensus on the alternate Indian language. Imposition of Hindi has been tried in Central Govt and it has proved unsuccessful. There was one day when Hindi had to be used for official correspondence and it was found that only 'acknowledgements' were given in Hindi!
Because Hindi in Devnagri script was imposed. Not Hinglish or Hindustani in Roman script.

Why should Hindi speaking chaps have to speak the local language and vice versa?

This is a free country.
Just like the way Europeans expect immigrants to integrate in their society, and you know why Assamese people expelled Bengalis from Assam on 1961? Because Bengalis did not integrate, during rise of ULFA Hindi bhasis dont integrate into Assamese society was major cause, is not ULFA a national threat?

Aren't you the one who is fond of Hitler and the Nazis?

If Hitler comes, then what you say will be axiomatic!
No I am not Hitler fan.

Last edited:

Waffen SS

Do Only Indians need higher studies? I myself studied in Bengali, I feel no problem.

Most of our business happens in vernacular languages anyway. So, there's no problem there. I read somewhere that 90% of businesses in India don't rely on English.
then English medium?

However education is not like business. Education in your mother tongue is a very bad idea, especially in the fields of medicine, engineering, science and law. By not teaching your kid English, you are shutting him out of all the above fields in India.
And where did I say to stop teaching English? Why blind supporters of English medium education use this stupid thing again and again? Please search that those kids who study in mother tongue have higher success rate those who dont.

I wonder if you have a word like pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis in Bengali or whatever your vernacular is?
Sir, during British era Bengali scientists researched in Bengali and they said use English terms in Bengali. Such as say Oxygen Oxygen instead of it's Bengali term, but write in Bengali language.

The Germans and the French pioneered most of our current progress. A better example would have been Japan, Korea and now China.

Even with the Japanese, Koreans and Chinese, they are a homogeneous entity, Indians are not. India is something like Europe or Africa and India is more diverse than both the continents. Japan, China and Korea have just one language as a majority. They could bring in a system where they could teach in just one medium of instruction. Imagine if the entirety of India spoke Tamil or Bengali, that's China. That's when you can bring in one system of education.
China is not a homogeneous entity, just search how many tribes are in China. And yes during Meiji Restoration when no Japanese book was written on modern science Japanese translated those books into Japanese, you see?

But in India's case, bringing in such a system is ludicrous. And this is not even considering the political fallout. If you compare us to Europe, then there will be technical education in Kannada in Karnataka, Tamil in TN, Bengali in WB, Hindi in Delhi and so on just like how they have it in Europe. It is practically impossible to bring such people together in a single national project. It is happening in Europe today, they are not really able to work together.
Not all India's language is good, languages from Manipur are no way comparable to Bengali, they can be educated in CBSE education, Hindi and English., but Kannada Bengali Tamil are developed, in arts stream or up to HS examination Bengali kannada can be easily used.

However, do you know that the Japanese value English education very highly? Do you know that English is a compulsory language from the age of 10 in Japan? Do you know that more than 2.5 million students write the official STEP English test every year in Japan? Do you know that Japanese school students who know English get more preference in universities over ones who don't? Why is it that even the Japanese know the importance of English? You tell me. It is no different with the Koreans.

The Chinese, they actually wish they were in our place, where they knew English.
English education still a priority[1]|chinadaily.com.cn

Yeah, even the Chinese give more importance to English now.
I am not saying to omit English I again say. I value English learning but medium of education up to HS level in India needs to be in mother tongue.

Except the Europeans everybody else place a high emphasis on learning English. That's why the Europeans are being left behind now. If they want to keep up, even they will have to start studying English and Mandarin.

And the importance of English has nothing to do with UK or England, it is another country across the ocean from England who have made English popular, so English's importance in India has nothing to do with the colonial era.
All emphasis on learning English, but how many neglect mother tongue? Only those who were colonies.

Waffen SS

@Ray, @TrueSpirit1, @p2prada

A comment from Lord Macaulay on either 1833 or 1835, such farsighted man he was!!!

"I have traveled across the length and breadth of India and I have not seen one person who is a beggar, who is a thief. Such wealth I have seen in this country, such high moral values, people of such calibre, that I do not think we would ever conquer this country, unless we break the very backbone of this nation, which is her spiritual and cultural heritage, and, therefore, I propose that we replace her old and ancient education system, her culture, for if the Indians think that all that is foreign and English is good and greater than their own, they will lose their self-esteem, their native self-culture and they will become what we want them, a truly dominated nation."

You see here?

Why God sent me to India? Instead of any European country, I am certainly glad that I am from India with very rich tradition, but I have no pride on present Indians.

I conclude here.
@freakinghell you were right!

Santu

Sir , This is the misconception many people in india have.. I studied till my tenth class Telugu medium ( i am from AP) and changed to english medium in +2 .. i never really found it difficult to understand the concepts.... Yes english is needed to lead life in this tech world.. but u don't need to perfect it.. one dont need to know 10000 words in english.. one doesnt need to score 100 % gre verbal at-least to work.. what one really needs is good writing skills (to compose emails ) and simple english to express your thoughts clearly as many of the words (engi's and medico's) use are realted their field only :) It's good to learn english but its really good to learn local launguages too ..

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
@Ray, @TrueSpirit1, @p2prada

A comment from Lord Macaulay on either 1833 or 1835, such farsighted man he was!!!

"I have traveled across the length and breadth of India and I have not seen one person who is a beggar, who is a thief. Such wealth I have seen in this country, such high moral values, people of such calibre, that I do not think we would ever conquer this country, unless we break the very backbone of this nation, which is her spiritual and cultural heritage, and, therefore, I propose that we replace her old and ancient education system, her culture, for if the Indians think that all that is foreign and English is good and greater than their own, they will lose their self-esteem, their native self-culture and they will become what we want them, a truly dominated nation."

You see here?

Why God sent me to India? Instead of any European country, I am certainly glad that I am from India with very rich tradition, but I have no pride on present Indians.

I conclude here
@freakinghell you were right!
That whole Macaulay thing is a hoax. But I am an anglicized troll, so ignore me. :sad:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I explained. You are an ex-Military with chance of getting transferred through out India, so how your children can learn Bengali?:hmm:

But not all are from Military or any job that has probability of getting transferred through out India, why they dont send their son in local language schools? Is not it extra preference?
I know for Military people's children that is extremely difficult to send their sons to mother tongue education because they have to travel all India.[/quote]

And yet they know Bengali!

How?

Because while we wanted our children to be equipped for the world, yet we did not want them to forget their roots and heritage. And, just to remind you once again, we are Indians - proud Indians. And so, we home schooled them in Bengali. Was it an extra burden on the children and us? You bet it! But, as I said, we are proud to be Indians first and Bengalis second.

Preference and it proves that very few feel proud that their children do not know their mother tongue!

It is ridiculous to think that those who have transferable job should put their children in local schools, where the medium of instruction would be the language of that State?

Can one who has been taught in Kannada switch to a school where the medium of instruction is Kashmiri to keep pace with the Father's transfer?

Many takes pride, they are ultra-modern half in English and half in mother tongue. Just watch current Hindi movies.
As above!

That is because we are shameless, if we speak beautiful English(with beautiful words) people will praise us, if we say Shuddha Bangla or Hindi people will lough. :wtf:

Colonial hang over.
Well, is it a crime to master whatever you do?

Would it please you if those who speak English talks pidgin English? Would you understand them? Do people understand when Lalloo breaks out in English?

Yes people will laugh if one speaks chaste Bengali or Hindi. Are you aware that the Bengali of Bankim Chandra's time is different from that which Rabindranath incorporated?

Hardly colonial.

I agree it is fashionable to palm off all the wrongs that could not be made right is blamed on the catch all phrase 'colonial'.

Even our Democracy and Constitution and the Form of Governance and Judiciary is a colonial legacy. Let's throw it out!

About Central Government I agree, but Commies also started Militant Trade organization movement(CITU), Industrialists get scared and fled. All factories closed, and ranting again. :truestory:

They fled?

Or were they made to flee?

Industrialists plough in their money to make profits and are not social services. If they are gheraoed, if there is strikes without end, why should they hang around and lose money?

Many sent their sons to private Bengali medium school as well, where English was taught
I know many who didn't!

I know world changed, and pay is crucial factor to stop Brain drain, but Government's strict policy and patriotism can stop some how.
Strict?

Like in China?

Patriotism, is not something like Colgate toothpaste i.e. mass produced.

It takes time and it takes a dedicated will. Any suggestion who could do it?

RSS claims that they are patriotic.
\
How many will listen to them?

Not me!

My patriotism is a different kettle of fish!

Wrong only Gandhiji was in favour of Charka, Netaji and Nehru were against it, and so were others.
He was the Father of the Nation and the tallest hero!

Then why you fear imposing Hindi will halt Nation and Tamils will oppose it? :frusty:

Welcome! Indian Kemal Attaturk, I presume!

Because Hindi in Devnagri script was imposed. Not Hinglish or Hindustani in Roman script.
why should one learn Hinglish? What language is that in any case?

Just like the way Europeans expect immigrants to integrate in their society, and you know why Assamese people expelled Bengalis from Assam on 1961? Because Bengalis did not integrate, during rise of ULFA Hindi bhasis dont integrate into Assamese society was major cause, is not ULFA a national threat?
Again yoo go wrong!

It is not integration. My son in law's family have a huge business going on in Assam for ages. They are more Assamese than Bengalis.

It is just that Bengalis who had come were educated and so they got the jobs, became the elite and indirectly bossed over the \Assamese. That is why they were taken to task. Further, the fear that with uncheck Bangladeshi illegals, Bengali would become the majority. Hence Nellie!

Then the labour force which was from Bihar and UP got targeted because even the low skill work was not that of the sons of the soiol.

Even the Marwaris were targeted but they bought the Assamese over!

No I am not Hitler fan.
Who is that funny man nodding like an idiot that you use as your avatar?

Saint Nickolas or Jagatguru?

p2prada

Do Only Indians need higher studies? I myself studied in Bengali, I feel no problem.
then English medium?
Don't get your point for either question.

And where did I say to stop teaching English? Why blind supporters of English medium education use this stupid thing again and again? Please search that those kids who study in mother tongue have higher success rate those who dont.
Actually no. Kids who study in their mother tongues without any English language are 100% guaranteed to fail in medicine, engineering, law and science. I have seen it, even in a field like Engineering where math is more important. Most won't even clear the entrance exams.

Those who study arts, philosophy, literature, are different. Those who get into local businesses are also different. They don't need English education as long as they have not chosen the field necessary.

Sir, during British era Bengali scientists researched in Bengali and they said use English terms in Bengali. Such as say Oxygen Oxygen instead of it's Bengali term, but write in Bengali language.
Colonial days were times of very modest learning. Today's science is on a whole different level.

The science of colonial days is what we learn in schools. Today's science is what they get doctorates for. There are no immediate translations available, especially in the field of Medicine.

China is not a homogeneous entity, just search how many tribes are in China. And yes during Meiji Restoration when no Japanese book was written on modern science Japanese translated those books into Japanese, you see?
I was comparing to India. China is exactly like a state in India.

You are reading too much into the past, when science and technology was nowhere near as complex.

As for the Chinese, Japanese and Koreans, they "know" that they would rather be in our shoes when it comes to languages.

Not all India's language is good, languages from Manipur are no way comparable to Bengali, they can be educated in CBSE education, Hindi and English., but Kannada Bengali Tamil are developed, in arts stream or up to HS examination Bengali kannada can be easily used.
Nobody with money to spend will take it anyway.

I am not saying to omit English I again say. I value English learning but medium of education up to HS level in India needs to be in mother tongue.
I think except for Bangalore, no other city provides English education by immersion. So, the Bengali educated kid will never have the opportunity to learn English by staying in India. After High School, he will NEVER be able to take up Engineering, Science, Law or Medicine.

English isn't an easy language to learn. Expecting a student to finish his school in a non-English environment and expecting him to learn with English in just 2 or 3 months with the proficiency levels required to do high level courses is pure fallacy. You don't teach students English by the time they are in primary school, they will find it exceedingly hard to learn it after they are grown up.

All emphasis on learning English, but how many neglect mother tongue? Only those who were colonies.
Learning your mother tongue must be important to you, but that is not so for a lot of other people.

And I will say it again. The focus on English has nothing to do with the colonial era.

p2prada

Sir , This is the misconception many people in india have.. I studied till my tenth class Telugu medium ( i am from AP) and changed to english medium in +2 .. i never really found it difficult to understand the concepts.... Yes english is needed to lead life in this tech world.. but u don't need to perfect it.. one dont need to know 10000 words in english.. one doesnt need to score 100 % gre verbal at-least to work.. what one really needs is good writing skills (to compose emails ) and simple english to express your thoughts clearly as many of the words (engi's and medico's) use are realted their field only :) It's good to learn english but its really good to learn local launguages too ..
Yeah, you don't need to be perfectly articulate in the language. But a question for you.

How much of your technical education happened in Telugu?

Santu

Yeah, you don't need to be perfectly articulate in the language. But a question for you.

How much of your technical education happened in Telugu?
sir, All basic concepts of physics , chemistry , biology etc i studied through telugu medium .... I strongly believe these basics are key to any higher studies we do in what ever medium ..

Srinivas_K

Country flag
You are from A.P??

What is your native place??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles