Where's the Chinese Toyota?

badguy2000

Respected Member
it is reported by a S.korean media that CHinese are to buy 12.8 million autos and 185 million household appliances in 2009.

At the same time, Yankees just buy 10.8 million autos and 137 million household appliances.

So ,CHina has surpassed become the biggest markets of almost every goods,from low-tech food, textles to high-tech cars and high-speed railways.

Morever, Chinese consumption is still growing 17%, about 2 times more than its GDP growth

ÖйúÆû³µ¼ÒµçÏúÁ¿·´³¬ÃÀ¹ú - ³¯ÏÊÈÕ±¨ÖÐÎÄÍø¡ª¡ª¶´²ìÊÀ½çµÄº«¹úÖ®ÑÛ__chn.chosun.com

Martian

Respected Member
A country that can produce 4th generation aircrafts unable to produce a car on its own but has to depend on reverse engineering is laughable :lol:. It again shows the hollowness of the claims that China is a technological super-power. It depends on reverse engineering for almost everything. It doesn't have the environment that stimulates innovation in the country. A billion people fed on the CCP propaganda will have to hard pressed to think on their own and that shows in their dismal innovation exemplified by copying of a very low-tech motorbike like 'Gulsar' that too from a third world country like India. :rofl: :rofl:

Almost every car company right from japanese toyota to american GM are taking plunge into not only electric cars but also electric hybrids. And japanese are leading the way in hybrids.

Let's see how BYD electric care is faring

That says it all about your BYD electric car. High price, unfeasible technology, rough ride and half-baked car :lol:.
I take it that you've never read the experience of Hyundai as it tried to establish itself in the US market? Any new product will be rough around the edges; just like the first Hyundai Excel. However, after 20 years, Hyundai is the sixth largest car maker in the world.

See Hyundai Moves Up To Sixth Among World's Largest Car Makers - AutoWeb News

Warren Buffet said that "BYD could become the largest automaker in the world." It will also require twenty years and success is never guaranteed for any company.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
I take it that you've never read the experience of Hyundai as it tried to establish itself in the US market? Any new product will be rough around the edges; just like the first Hyundai Excel. However, after 20 years, Hyundai is the sixth largest car maker in the world.

Warren Buffet said that "BYD could become the largest automaker in the world." It will also require twenty years and success is never guaranteed for any company.
This is exactly what I'm saying. It will take time for China to catch up to US just like Hyundai took time to reach its current position. But people like you already jump and say China is a technology super-power when it is not. Just like BYD car's success is not guaranteed, so does the China's super-power status. We can only talk about such things only when that happens not before it happens. Anything can go wrong in between.

Martian

Respected Member
This is exactly what I'm saying. It will take time for China to catch up to US just like Hyundai took time to reach its current position. But people like you already jump and say China is a technology super-power when it is not. Just like BYD car's success is not guaranteed, so does the China's super-power status. We can only talk about such things only when that happens not before it happens. Anything can go wrong in between.
All of us agree that China does not have a car company comparable to world-leader Toyota.

I thought we were discussing "Where's the Chinese Toyota?"

My view is that China does not have its own Toyota because it industrialized late and lacks the decades of experience with mature gasoline engines and billions of dollars in Toyota's R&D budget.

I also said that China has a much better chance with electric cars and car companies like BYD because foreign carmakers would not have a multi-decades advantage. I think everyone also acknowledges that BYD's success is not guaranteed.

Did you read any of my earlier posts? I've said all of these things already.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles