User trials of indigenous artillery gun today at Pokhran

kaustav2001

Country flag
the upgraded version of the 155 mm bofor gun by ofb is of 52 caliber. its range is 70 kms against 40 km range of parent system.
Are you sure it's 70 Kms, so far I think only the G6-52 achieves that kind of range that too with V-LAP projectiles. If we've managed to better them, I'll be the happiest of all but I remain deeply skeptical about that figure of 70 Kms.

Last edited:

mikhail

Country flag
is this artillery gun a direct copy of the bofors 155 mm howitzer or did the DRDO develop an indegenous version based on bofors?did the swedes make full TOT of the howitzer to us back in the 80s?if not then we are violating their intellectual copyright regarding the howitzer!but anyway i think its a good development as it will enable us to mass produce this indegenous howitzer in large quantities to meet the current demand of our artillery corp.:thumb:

JAYRAM

2 STRIKE CORPS
well, any pics will be available?.

shubhamsaikia

is this artillery gun a direct copy of the bofors 155 mm howitzer or did the DRDO develop an indegenous version based on bofors?did the swedes make full TOT of the howitzer to us back in the 80s?if not then we are violating their intellectual copyright regarding the howitzer!but anyway i think its a good development as it will enable us to mass produce this indegenous howitzer in large quantities to meet the current demand of our artillery corp.:thumb:
when India bought the bofors. It also did a TOT (transfer of technology). However indigenisation was never utilised until now. So its not a violation of any intellectual rights.

Patriot

Country flag
52. the upgraded version of the 155 mm bofor gun by ofb is of 52 caliber. its range is 70 kms against 40 km range of parent system.
moreover one thing is not clear that this prog involves changes in the existent guns just like aircraft upgradation or its involves new guns manufactured by the ofb
Agentperry, is there any info source about it's range of 70Km? or is this range is with normal shell or special kind of shell like "Excalibre" ?

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Purchase

Interim
OFB FH-77B 45 Cal
Upgraded M-46

105mm LFG

Artillery Rationalisation Program
155mm L52 Towed (1058)
155mm L52 Wheeled SPH (180)
155mm L52 Tracked SPH (100)

155mm L39 ULH - Bought(M777)

Replacement
Almost all older artillery to be replaced by 155mm howitzers

Artillery Rationalisation Program
155mm L52 Towed (1058) means about 56 Regts means, 13 to 14 Divisions worth of artillary.
155mm L52 Wheeled SPH (180) means about 10 regts or three strike Corps Divisions or three strike coprs Corps artillary.
155mm L52 Tracked SPH (100) means about five SP tracked regiments to support two armoured divisiona.
Plus 145 M777 LHW to equip eight regiments to cater for six regiments of two artillary divisions and two regiments for Ladakh / Kargil.

Is Indian Artllary going to capture Pakistan on its own or is it going to support fighting Arms ?

155mm L39 ULH - Bought(M777)

Replacement
Almost all older artillery to be replaced by 155mm howitzers
So the minimum acceptable calibre for artillary the world over is 155 mm? Is that so really? Why not graduate to cheap rocketary? Attacking and Defending forces will have their own artillary?
Who are we making fool of?

Last edited:

Zebra

Country flag
User Trials Of Indigenous Artillery Gun Today At Pokhran

Monday, May 14, 2012
By : Defence News Admin

In another big boost to the Indian Army's artillery modernisation programme, the first home-built artillery gun will undergo its first user trials today at Pokhran, Rajasthan.

In another big boost to the Indian Army's artillery modernisation programme, the first home-built artillery gun will undergo its first user trials today at Pokhran, Rajasthan.

This gun is being manufactured by the Ordnance Factory Board (OFB) on the basis of the design transferred by the Bofors in 1986. The designs have since then been gathering dust owing to the taint on these Swedish gun.

However, as the repeated efforts of the Indian Army hit a naught, the force along with the OFB decided to manufacture the gun at home.

The indigenous gun will be upgraded version of the Bofors. So far the OFB is refusing to call it a Bofors gun.
In any case the Indian Army has already placed an order of 114 guns.

Defence News - User Trials Of Indigenous Artillery Gun Today At Pokhran

shubhamsaikia

I saw an interview last night. Some guy from the procurment mentioned IA was going to replace 3600 guns

shubhamsaikia

Plus 145 M777 LHW to equip eight regiments to cater for six regiments of two artillary divisions and two regiments for Ladakh / Kargil.
?
M777 are for the mountains so they are definitely not going to the Artillery Divisions. All three Arty Divs (41, 40 and 42) are part of the desert strike corps. And M777s were tried at Sikkim, so I am quite sure they are going to the Moutnain Divisions of 33 Corps (Sukna), 4 Corps(Tezpur, Assam) and 15 Corps (Ladakh). Even the newly raised 56 and 71 Div in the NE might get them,

Last edited:

shubhamsaikia

also a question of interest. armoured units have 45 tanks in regiment. why does a an artillery regiment have only 18. Our Units should be expanded..

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
we should have MRSI, WLR and network centric operation to make these guns lethal.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
M777 are for the mountains so they are definitely not going to the Artillery Divisions. All three Arty Divs (41, 40 and 42) are part of the desert strike corps. And M777s were tried at Sikkim, so I am quite sure they are going to the Moutnain Divisions of 33 Corps (Sukna), 4 Corps(Tezpur, Assam) and 15 Corps (Ladakh). Even the newly raised 56 and 71 Div in the NE might get them,
I meant the same ... two divisions means two artillery brigades of the the two newly raised divsions//

So tell me how many divisions (Infantry, Mountains have I counted to you. Add numbers of Bofors and that makes up all existing)

But no one has answered my fundamental questions. read the post once more !

Last edited:

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
also a question of interest. armoured units have 45 tanks in regiment. why does a an artillery regiment have only 18. Our Units should be expanded..
What frontage is covered by an infantry battalion in an attack?
What is required to cover that by fire support?
How much armour strength is employed to cover an area where in a regiment is capable of delivering the fire vertically and spatially.
Remember artillery world over is a support arm and not fighting arm.
Artillary supports ... that is it....

You ask very disturbing questions....

Last edited:

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Listen young man..
you want one gun to support one tank?
Then what is the use of having a range of 30 km plus?
what would be the frontage of advance of 45 tanks?
One one battery suffices to cover that.
you would demand next to have 45 Agni missiles to support 45 tanks !!

venkat

that today was yesterday? then what is the result today?

shubhamsaikia

Is Indian Artllary going to capture Pakistan on its own or is it going to support fighting Arms ?
Well In world war, over 50% of the causalities were due to Artillery Fire. That is when the importance of Artillery started to emerge. In the Indian context it

was the Kargil War. In terms of the Indian Artillery I would presume its a mixed role that it is going to play. Because of the terrain that we have. No doubt it is

still going to be a support arm when the Infantry moves ahead yet say for example in Kargil, it can be used for direct offence. In fact even the Indian Army

considers the Artillery to be a fighting arm.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles