US suspends 'anti-Islamic' military course

Folk hero

WASHINGTON: A controversial US military course that taught officers to prepare for a "total war" against Islam using "Hiroshima-style" tactics has been suspended by the Pentagon following an uproar.

The Pentagon suspended the course in late April when a student objected to the materials, which has been termed as against American values by Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen Martin Dempsey.

"It was just totally objectionable, against our values, and it wasn't academically sound. This wasn't about, you know, we're pushing back on liberal thought. This was just objectionable, academically irresponsible," Gen Dempsey said.

"There is an investigation ongoing. The individual instructor is no longer in a teaching status. He is not in a teaching status. And are you asking me am I surprised? Yeah. I'm surprised. And I was actually quite thankful that the young man who did find the course material offensive spoke up," he said in response to a question.

However, the instructor responsible for the course, Army Lt Col Matthew A Dooley, is still employed at the Joint Forces Staff College in Norfolk, Virginia.

According to media reports, Dooley, for about an year, taught an optional course at the college for lieutenant colonels, colonels, commanders and Navy captains which proposed taking a war on Islam.

"We are looking at how that course was approved, what motivated the individual to adopt that -- it was an elective, but what motivated that elective for being part of the curriculum. We are looking across the institutions that provide our professional military education now to make sure there's nothing like that out there," Gen Dempsey added.

Uproar over US military course preparing officers for 'total war against Islam' - The Times of India

Folk hero

That student seems to be totally ignorant about american values.

American values = selling weapons to terrorist nations invading nations using white lies nuking nations global scale scams covert oops for regime change and etc etc!!

ejazr

Ambassador
Wow this Dooley guys was really a doozy. He actually advocated a total war against 1.4 Billion Muslims and nuking Mecca and Medina. If a crazy blogger on the web does it that is one thing, but this guy was a lecturer at a military war college.

Even OBL advocated killing of civilians from the US and UK rather than all Christians. And what he didnt' seem to realise that their ultimate focus was on the overthrowing local govt. and taking power there. That is why 90% of the deaths caused by AQ are Muslims (Surprising Study On Terrorism: Al-Qaida Kills Eight Times More Muslims Than Non-Muslims - SPIEGEL ONLINE) , (Full text: bin Laden's 'letter to America' | World news | Observer.co.uk )

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Very odd choice of a course!

Adux

Country flag
I wouldnt mind America nuking all the important religious structures in the world, and some zealots with it ( might take a large hit in the islamic world), we need a fresh slate to begin on. So let's start with Al-Aqsa, wailing wall, somanth, mecca and medina and etc etc

devgupt

Country flag
This type of thinking is counter productive. The threat from Islamic terrorists is nothing to what the America faced from Nazis and Japan.The concept of total war, applied against the existential threat posed by Axis powers simply doesn't apply here.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles