US Offers To Match India's Ally Russia

maomao

Veteran Hunter of Maleecha
Country flag
I did not go through the thread! However, I will state the obvious OT again - be careful when you deal with the US - don't become pakistan - never let US decide your foreign policy - though the conditions in India are such that we will never be told who is doing what and under whose influence, as we have an umbrella of paid media!

spikey360

Crusader
Country flag
Arming our enemies is breaking out trust. Yes it's pure business but because of that we have to develop alliances that helps our security. I for one would want an Asian NATO.
That is very naive. It also reflects a lack of self respect. An asian nato is the worst possible configuration for India. Do not forget the Chinese and the Russians combined can still knock the socks of Uncle Sam to an extent.
As far as arming enemies and betraying trust is concerned, don't get us started on the multi billion dollar aid to pakistan and giving them military hardware virtually as freebies. Pakistan, let it be known, was, is and will always be our enemy.

Zebra

Country flag
^^ It's a business, do it from where you get the best deal.

I do not know what kind of "Self Respect" we are talking about?

mahesh

Country flag
I say this is a good news from India's point of view, if India does play good without compromising too much on one side, then Russian will come out with good tech, service, schedule maintenance and may reduce our cost by par . on the other hand usa will try to pull things towards them by high tech arms.
everything is in india's hand. but this move was much needed from usa, for Russian to put up there socks and move the thinks forward.

anoop_mig25

Country flag
well we should get auxiliary harware stuffs like tranpsort aifcraft and others form america while main potents weapons from france /russian.(and i think goi is moving in this direction only) . by the way i want to the those recent stuffs like transport aircraft or apache helicopter and M777 ultra light howitzers which are buying form america can we use those stuffs in case of war against pakistan . because i heard from net amrica places conditions on such stuffs that they can not be used in case of war without their permisssion

Zebra

Country flag
I think someone from DFI should inform US, something like.......(here I mention only few points, we can add as many as we like)

1) Please consider at-least 4% party's fund in all the defence deals.

2) Other wise we are happy with France and Russia only.

3) On other hand few Indians do feel embarrassed in buying US weapons. Though they are very happy with weapons supplied till today. Nothing wrong in it.

4) But now onwards, if India buy them then it will be big issue of Self Respect and stuff like that.

So please consider 4%, or else face the consequences.

:troll:

pmaitra

Areas where India can get technological know-how by collaboration, which India might not get from the US:
  • Transport aircraft.
  • Aviation turbines/engines.
  • Nuclear reactors for submarines, over and beyond what India got w.r.t. INS Arihant.

sob

Mod
Country flag
Is this a sales pitch or a statement of US policy? If the latter, it might have more credibility coming from the US Secretary of State.
Bill, both Romney and Obama have been quite bullish on relationship with India, and their views are quite similar on this.

We need to work with the US on an equal level. There will be give and take, but we need to shed our old inhibitions of the cold war. Nobody is out to do anybody a favour.

Regarding US Pakistan, as long as both the countries shared a common goal and understanding the US kept on supplying weapons even when there were Dictators. The problem was with Pakistan, drifting towards China and adopting a jehadist mentality.

US had to pull the plug on pakistan because of their activities and not because of any back stabbing. You cannot harbor your allies enemy in your hinterland and continue to expect uninterrupted dole.

For India and US the paths of convergence are more than divergence. I say go for it and with the transfers in technology or with production units in India, we can built a robust defence industry in India.

praneetbajpaie

Tihar Jail
Banned
For the nth+millionth time, don't compare india with Pakistan. Contempt of it.
If this reply was directed towards me, I am not comparing India with Pakistan, I am just stating a fact that we can never trust the Americans, period. Those of you, who are talking about a mutually beneficial relationship with America, just know this, only one who will be benefiting from this will be America.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Forming an alliance of the willing to safeguard common interests is not surrendering sovereignty or loosing self respect.

Not acting after a terror attack was a complete loss of self respect and shameless surrender of sovereignty.

Zebra

Country flag
Self reliant and have ability to defend itself not under someone`s umbrella..
Really we are self reliant?

lol, I never know that. Only I know is still India is one of the top importer. Please, correct me if I am wrong.

And having ability to defend our self, well as of yet I have to find a country's name who ever dare to touch any US ally.

BTW, people take this is in wrong way. Please take it in this way.....

US do have the power to impose sanctions on other countries, Russia and/or china do not have that power as of yet.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Areas where India can get technological know-how by collaboration, which India might not get from the US:
  • Transport aircraft.
  • Aviation turbines/engines.
  • Nuclear reactors for submarines, over and beyond what India got w.r.t. INS Arihant.
then how the hell they can match the offer from Russia, we can get rest of the things from Europe and rest of the world, minus China and Pak.

Zebra

Country flag
then how the hell they can match the offer from Russia, we can get rest of the things from Europe and rest of the world, minus China and Pak.
Which countries?

Anyway, we got tech from Russia isn't it?

By now India should be expert in those fields. Is that right?

My friend you want to match it with Russia, the tech we got in past, with the help of it, where are we right now?

Did that tech helped India? India stop buying same kind of things now?

The fact is we are still buying from the same company and the same stuff which we got tech in past.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
I think the Indian political and defence establishments are still largely anti-US. Moves to bring India closer to the US will continue to be frustrated from now and the foreseeable future. Too bad as India is bound to gain more from that relationship (if they play it right).

Reactions: sob
Country flag
I think the Indian political and defence establishments are still largely anti-US. Moves to bring India closer to the US will continue to be frustrated from now and the foreseeable future. Too bad as India is bound to gain more from that relationship (if they play it right).
I agree that Indian media is bashing USA while complaining about the multi year
delays in Russian deals and quality of the items. India has to import because politicians
never had the foresight to build a industrial military infrastructure. If they start now
it would take a minimum 10 years it the meantime items will still have to be imported
as stop gap measures. BMD is an area USA is interested in helping India but India
has rejected most offers

Ballistic missile defence key area for India-US ties: Carter - NY Daily News
Ballistic missile defence key area for India-US ties

US may give India Aegis radar for Indian destroyers, hint at THAAD sale to India, page 1
US may give India Aegis radar for Indian destroyers, hint at THAAD sale to India

If India wants the latest High tech e.g X-band radar there are no alternatives to USA.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Really we are self reliant?

lol, I never know that. Only I know is still India is one of the top importer. Please, correct me if I am wrong.

And having ability to defend our self, well as of yet I have to find a country's name who ever dare to touch any US ally. .
Self reliant is the ability to take decision & Work free from any outside influence, There are few ally of US in true sense Israel is among one and its not a Nato, Israel ensure as yusuf told ' safeguard common interests ' and work independently keeping YOUR interest as first..

Though Israel is not a NATO and depend less for equipment from US after 6days of War..

Forming an alliance of the willing to safeguard common interests is not surrendering sovereignty or loosing self respect.

Not acting after a terror attack was a complete loss of self respect and shameless surrender of sovereignty.
That is the definition, This same does not apply under the term ' Asian NATO '

There are plenty of examples..

Besides going for NATO have its own terms and conditions.

Country flag
Self reliant is the ability to take decision & Work free from any outside influence, There are few ally of US in true sense Israel is among one and its not a Nato, Israel ensure as yusuf told ' safeguard common interests ' and work independently keeping YOUR interest as first..
Kunal self reliance is always best but it takes time that India does not have in
the present security environment.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag

Though Israel is not a NATO and depend less for equipment from US after 6days of War..

That is the definition, This same does not apply under the term ' Asian NATO '

There are plenty of examples..

Besides going for NATO have its own terms and conditions.
Why will it not apply to an Asian NATO? As with the original treaty in the Atlantic, the one in Asia will have its share of heavy weights as some rather lots of smaller nations allying to secure their interests and also act as "poodles". india will not be a poodle. France comes to mind.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
US selects its partners very carefully, Under NATO one must give its resource for US cause, Under NATO ones view and concern is less matter but mutual view with others, And many more restriction on ones role in his region.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles