US, India sign military logistics agreement

s002wjh

Country flag
It's simple US give India support so it can counter China save US trouble to do it. Best case India and China tie with each other in conflict and rivalry. Killing 2 birds with a single stone

airtel

Country flag
https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2016/08/31/slus-a31.html

US deepens military ties with Sri Lanka

By Vilani Peiris
31 August 2016

A US Pacific Command (PACOM)-led team of military experts concluded a week-long Operation Pacific Angel exercise in Sri Lanka’s Northern Province on August 23. The exercise was part of the expanding links between the US military and Sri Lankan security forces, under the guise of providing humanitarian assistance.

About 70 personnel from PACOM and military experts from Bangladesh, Nepal and the Maldives, along with Sri Lankan air force personnel, were involved. Operation Pacific Angel conducted similar operations last year in other countries, including the Philippines, Vietnam and Cambodia.

A press statement from the US embassy in Colombo claimed that around 4,000 people were provided with free medical assistance, such as dental care, physiotherapy and optometry, at Idaikkadu and Punguduthivu in Jaffna. Six schools were also renovated.

The statement said that Northern Province was chosen by the PACOM because it was “most affected by conflict [civil war].” It also noted that the US Agency for International Development (USAID) was providing financial assistance to small- and medium-scale businesses and to war widows, resettled families and disabled.

The devastation in Sri Lanka’s northern and eastern provinces is the result of Colombo’s brutal, decades-long communal war against the separatist Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) which was militarily defeated in May 2009. Tens of thousands of Tamil civilians were killed and wounded and their homes and properties destroyed or damaged during the bloody conflict.

Washington’s “humanitarian concern” about Tamil communities is utterly hypocritical. Over the past quarter century, the US has been responsible for the most heinous war crimes and human rights violations in numerous countries, including Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya and Syria, to name just a few. The latest PACOM operation is to increase its political influence in Sri Lanka as part of its military-strategic goals in the Indo-Pacific region in preparation for war against China.

Moreover, the US fully backed Colombo’s communal war against the LTTE and turned a blind eye to the associated attacks on democratic rights. The Obama administration only began raising the issue of “human rights” during the final stages of the war when China emerged as Colombo’s principal provider of funds and military hardware.

Washington, in line with its efforts to isolate China, began pressuring the then government of President Mahinda Rajapakse to distance itself from Beijing. This included US-sponsored resolutions in the UN Human Rights Council calling for an international investigation into war crimes in Sri Lanka.

The US campaign culminated in a Washington-orchestrated operation to remove Rajapaske and install the pro-US Maithripala Sirisena as Sri Lankan president via an election in early 2015. As soon as Sirisena came to power the Obama administration dropped its demand for an international investigation and backed a domestic inquiry that will inevitably whitewash Sri Lankan military atrocities.

Senior Obama administration officials have also begun visiting Sri Lanka, including Secretary of State John Kerry and the US permanent ambassador to the UN, Samantha Power. Senior PACOM officials are also frequent visitors.

Aiming to secure economic and political advantages for the Tamil elite, Sri Lanka’s Tamil National Alliance (TNA) fully supported the regime-change operation to install Sirisena, backed Colombo’s moves to develop ties with the US and India, and enthusiastically welcomed this month’s Operation Pacific Angel.

TNA leader and Northern Provincial Chief Minister C. V. Wigneswaran and Colombo-based Tamil leader and government minister Mano Ganeshan accompanied the American personnel in a huge US military aircraft. Parliamentary opposition leader R. Sambandan and TNA chiefs were in Jaffna to provide a warm welcome to the PACOM officials.

Recent developments indicate ever-intensifying efforts to boost US military ties with Sri Lanka.

* On July 24, USS New Orleans and its 13th Marine Expeditionary Unit conducted a three-day visit to Sri Lanka. The ship’s visit was billed as boosting bilateral ties with the Sri Lankan Navy and providing US support and training for humanitarian assistance and disaster relief.

A press statement by Atul Keshap, the US ambassador to Sri Lanka, however, pointed to the underlying geo-political reasons. “The 21st century is in many ways the Indo-Pacific century, and Sri Lanka is well-positioned to take advantage of its strategic location,” he said. “The United States looks forward to working with the Sri Lanka Navy as a key force for maritime security and stability.”

* On 8–9 August, the first Operational Level Bilateral Defence Dialogue was held between a PACOM delegation and Sri Lankan security forces at the Sri Lanka Navy Headquarters. While no details were released, both sides said that the discussion “was to develop military engagements for next three years from 2016” and “continue the training and exercises” between members of the armed forces of both countries.

The meeting occurred as US and Indian officials held talks on countering Chinese submarines in the Indian Ocean, including collaborating in submarine-tracking and augmenting their anti-submarine warfare capacities.

* On August 28, USS Frank Cable, a US naval submarine supply vessel with a crew of 500, arrived in Colombo for a three-day visit. A US embassy communiqué said that the Guam-stationed ship “provides rescue and recovery assistance in the Indo-Asia-Pacific region.”

The presence of US war ships in Colombo and PACOM’s growing ties with Sri Lanka security forces is an expression of heightened US war preparations against China throughout the Indo-Pacific region.

The US is determined to harness India as a frontline state in its moves against China and strengthening existing military alliances with Japan and Australia. Washington has also intensified its provocations against China, encouraging the South China Sea territorial claims of the Philippines and Vietnam. These manoeuvres pose the danger of a military conflict between nuclear-armed powers with devastating global consequences.

Washington’s regime-change operation in Sri Lanka and its expanding military operations with Colombo’s security forces make clear that the US is determined to use the strategically-located Indian Ocean island nation as one of its bases in the event of war with China.

rishivashista13

Country flag
What is the use of the base at BIOT/DeigoGarcia? For the US I guess they station their bombres, replenishments there.
But what is the use for India?
It will not help us in war like situation , but as it is very near of the area where Indian Navy operates so it can be helpful for normal routine operations .

Sent from my Micromax Q380 using Tapatalk

Scarface

John Kerry just extended his visit to India by 1-2 days

New Defence Deals / Pacts on the agenda ?
Probably the former.

Bharat Ek Khoj

As per my observation, Modi has done lot of trip to china. Two things Modi/we interested in are getting our land back and developing business module like gwadar. We have chabahar.

Both india and china can not afford war, neither willing to war while both have invested crores in such projects. But stubborn china doesn't want india to go ahead with time, neither willing to give up the land china has taken. And uncle sam doesn't want china to go ahead.

Raising balochistan issue by our PM is trying to send message to china, but as usual its china who doesn't get it.
USA has already increased presence in Asia. India was left for a long time which is going to be covered now. If USA helps getting balochistan free, for us it will be like "kill two birds with one stone".

So may be its like, either china gives up our land or gives up gwadar. In compromising positing china can ditch pakistan and accept balochistan to continue the project. Wow, wow, what will porkistan do then ?

Bharat Ek Khoj

i read today despite of no LEMOA tie in 1960s , the pd jawahar lal nehru allowed US to operate on indian soil , they used our base in odisha for 5 years from 1962-67,operating U2 spy plane .. in fact nehru restrucutred the base to accomodate the spy planes.. based on the intel of the U2 plane americans informed nehru about the chinese movements across the border and what happpened we all know,we went war with china..
was the intel right or we were pushed by americans to go to wat with china in 1960s?
Never knew that. Can you provide any source or article, just for reference.

Akask kumar

Never knew that. Can you provide any source or article, just for reference.
i just said half of the story .. on US intel from U2 spy planes we wen to war and during the war US operated 10-12(as far as i rem) transport planes to help indian troops across the border..

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...ses-manohar-parrikar/articleshow/53919182.cms

Irony is a decade later , during war with PAK.. US went pak side and USSR supported us

My point is-- we dont learn from our history.. ok we can forget all these war of 60s and 70s but kargil is very recent.. every1 now knows that kargil war was pushed by US to make us sign some deals.(BJP)

GOD knows whether this BJP gvt is again armed twisted to sigh the deal .. John kerry extended stay raises much more suspicions.

if Russia choose to side with china ,pak .. BRICS will fall and where we stand?? with evil NATO??

Bharat Ek Khoj

I don't know what kind of deal is going, but its good to know that there's no agreement on setting up base in india by USA.
if Russia choose to side with china ,pak .. BRICS will fall and where we stand?? with evil NATO??
No idea about Rus-china relationship, but most have pointed out Russia has no reason to against india. Talking about Pak, there's no way Rus will align with artificial country called pak that has unpredictable future.

rishivashista13

Country flag
I don't know what kind of deal is going, but its good to know that there's no agreement on setting up base in india by USA.

No idea about Rus-china relationship, but most have pointed out Russia has no reason to against india. Talking about Pak, there's no way Rus will align with artificial country called pak that has unpredictable future.
After all such type deals and friendship with USA , I don't think the INDIA Russia relationship can reman as fruitful as before .
Are we taking Russia as "बीता कल" and USA as "Bright future" ............
If it is so , I think it is totally wrong .

Bornubus

Chodi Bhakt & BJPig Hunter
Actually nobody knows here that how this deal is beneficial for India .
Do India need American military base ?
No . I don't think our Navy operates there , and there is no need to do so .

Do America need our base ?
Yes ! Off corse .

Do we need American bases for war like situation ?
बकवास , no use .

So why do actually signed the deal ? For reducing cost of weapons ?
Ha ha ........ [emoji1] [emoji1] [emoji1]

Please anyone tell some solid reason for this deal .

1. Small step towards a blue water Navy. To sustain Naval operations in far off sea, the navy require logistics support.

2. A Signal to China.

3. Gaining US trust as a future Defense ally.

Scarface

i just said half of the story .. on US intel from U2 spy planes we wen to war and during the war US operated 10-12(as far as i rem) transport planes to help indian troops across the border..

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...ses-manohar-parrikar/articleshow/53919182.cms

Irony is a decade later , during war with PAK.. US went pak side and USSR supported us

My point is-- we dont learn from our history.. ok we can forget all these war of 60s and 70s but kargil is very recent.. every1 now knows that kargil war was pushed by US to make us sign some deals.(BJP)

GOD knows whether this BJP gvt is again armed twisted to sigh the deal .. John kerry extended stay raises much more suspicions.

I don't understand where you are going with this,Soviets had been our allies since 1954 when Pakistan joined CENTO

Also you've got your timeline wrong.India started basing U2s AFTER the Sino-Indian war,

When the Soviets declared neutrality in our border dispute with China and in the 62 war , Nehru learned from experience and asked America for help,JFK did what he could on such short notice ,send USAF to fly supplies for our troops and sent Kitty Hawk to help us.

The U2 bases were providing us Intel on China,why are you angry at the US for helping us.

It was us who antagonized the Americans by maintaining a non-aligned status even after they had displayed the capability to be a reliable ally,while the Soviets put the blame on India for the whole Sino-Indian conflict and so America helped someone who was ready to be allied with them in 1971,Pakistan.

We really don't learn from our history.

The US pushing the Kargil War is conspiracy theorist drivel,hell it was a shift in US foreign policy from support to Pakistan to neutrality.No one can arm twist a significant power like India

If Russia sides with Pak,then yes we will be in the "evil" NATO camp.

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
May be, now India can buy US defence products and services at discounted rate.
US is a business man. They will never sell some thing on discounted rate when they now India can buy their equipment at full cost.
To the most India will get access to equipment that where previously not available to India.
In which part of the world, US naval presence is not there.
Near India too.................................https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diego_Garcia
Their is a difference between having a base at remote location (limited/expensive support machinery) and having a friendly well oiled support base.

Akask kumar

I don't understand where you are going with this,Soviets had been our allies since 1954 when Pakistan joined CENTO

Also you've got your timeline wrong.India started basing U2s AFTER the Sino-Indian war,

When the Soviets declared neutrality in our border dispute with China and in the 62 war , Nehru learned from experience and asked America for help,JFK did what he could on such short notice ,send USAF to fly supplies for our troops and sent Kitty Hawk to help us.

The U2 bases were providing us Intel on China,why are you angry at the US for helping us.

It was us who antagonized the Americans by maintaining a non-aligned status even after they had displayed the capability to be a reliable ally,while the Soviets put the blame on India for the whole Sino-Indian conflict and so America helped someone who was ready to be allied with them in 1971,Pakistan.

We really don't learn from our history.

The US pushing the Kargil War is conspiracy theorist drivel,hell it was a shift in US foreign policy from support to Pakistan to neutrality.No one can arm twist a significant power like India

If Russia sides with Pak,then yes we will be in the "evil" NATO camp.
srry i messed up the timeline. but one thing i am clear about is US cant be relied as long term partner..
the problem is RUSSIA-CHINA-PAK all are in the same continent..we cant afford to have too many enemies as neighbors..as very rightly said by Atal bihari - we can change friends but cant change neighbors

i am not very angry with this deal as we need some strong ally in south china sea as more than 50 % of our trade happens through there.. but we should be careful in signing future contracts.. we cant afford polorised ASIA..

China needed a lesson when they stabbed us over NSG deal.. lets see how dice rolls in near future..

and kargil thing that i told is not conspiracy.. india was armtwisted by US over laser bombs.. they denied GPS support to indian army during war..

tsunami

Country flag
That's an interesting point which leads me to questios.

Q: Suppose there is a war b/w India and PRC, is the US obliged by this treaty to provide refuelling/safe haven etc at its Asia-Pacific bases? (I doubt it, but not sure how this treaty works)
Q: How about a US-PRC war, is India obliged to do the same for the US? What happens if PRC attacks an Indian base (sheltering/refuelling etc an America ship) or an indian ship with american "personnel"? Will India be drawn into that war?
How does the treaty work? Does it apply in these situations?
I believe China will not dare to do any of these.

Suppose China is in war with USA, now it depends which scenario it is. US will only go for a war with China in case if China attack Taiwan or Japan or there is a war b/w north and south Korea. Now in any of these cases if US china conflict happens China will not dare to provoke India to start a third front of war. In that case Indian bases will provide safeguard to US ships during conflict.
And in case of India China war if situation goes out of control for India US might help US too(They might not but China can not reject the possibility of something like that happening. SO PRC will be in pressure before doing any misadventure).

Scarface

srry i messed up the timeline. but one thing i am clear about is US cant be relied as long term partner..
the problem is RUSSIA-CHINA-PAK all are in the same continent..we cant afford to have too many enemies as neighbors..as very rightly said by Atal bihari - we can change friends but cant change neighbors

i am not very angry with this deal as we need some strong ally in south china sea as more than 50 % of our trade happens through there.. but we should be careful in signing future contracts.. we cant afford polorised ASIA..

China needed a lesson when they stabbed us over NSG deal.. lets see how dice rolls in near future..

and kargil thing that i told is not conspiracy.. india was armtwisted by US over laser bombs.. they denied GPS support to indian army during war..
I agree with you in principle,US cannot be relied upon as a long term partner,but neither can any other country , I mean it only took Soviets 5 - 8 years to leave us high and dry against China.

However there are many countries who had bad blood with the US and are now long term allies.Britain,Japan,Spain,Germany,Vietnam compared to their conflicts with the US,the 1971 debacle appears to be a little altercation.

However alliancess are only based on common interest and ideological similarities.Which we have a lot with the US.

Now I'm not too worried about Russians joining Pakistan,China militarily,the Russians don't have the economy or the naval power to project force in India,at best they can supply weapons to Pak/China if needed,in that department the US+Allies can outdo them considering their production capabilities.

Another point is we don't have the luxury to choose.Without US,we will lose or at the maximum achieve a stalemate against China alone,we will not be able to get Aksai Chin back.

Add Pakistan with China and our chances of losing increase a lot.

At least with US we will have a fighting chance , which is better than a guaranteed loss.

We should see where the dice rolls,but I personally hope it rolls to the west

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
I agree with you in principle,US cannot be relied upon as a long term partner,but neither can any other country , I mean it only took Soviets 5 - 8 years to leave us high and dry against China.

However there are many countries who had bad blood with the US and are now long term allies.Britain,Japan,Spain,Germany,Vietnam compared to their conflicts with the US,the 1971 debacle appears to be a little altercation.

However alliancess are only based on common interest and ideological similarities.Which we have a lot with the US.

Now I'm not too worried about Russians joining Pakistan,China militarily,the Russians don't have the economy or the naval power to project force in India,at best they can supply weapons to Pak/China if needed,in that department the US+Allies can outdo them considering their production capabilities.

Another point is we don't have the luxury to choose.Without US,we will lose or at the maximum achieve a stalemate against China alone,we will not be able to get Aksai Chin back.

At least with US we will have a fighting chance , which is better than a guaranteed loss.

You nailed it bro.
Completely agree with your analysis and your presentation was perfect.

rishivashista13

Country flag
America is not a nation which we can be trusted this much .................

America used Pakistan for their intrest in Afghanistan and then ...... Pakistan is thrown like garbage by USA because now it is useless .

Now they have intrest in China and nearby region , और हम यहाँ हाथ फैलाये उनके स्वागत में खड़े है ।

We should do anything but not loose Russia at any cost .

We can trust Russia more in any case , because they also want us to support them .

In worst condition of war , if Russia is with us and USA is against us will be more better then USA is with us and Russia china pakistan against us .

Akask kumar

America is not a nation which we can be trusted this much .................

America used Pakistan for their intrest in Afghanistan and then ...... Pakistan is thrown like garbage by USA because now it is useless .

Now they have intrest in China and nearby region , और हम यहाँ हाथ फैलाये उनके स्वागत में खड़े है ।

We should do anything but not loose Russia at any cost .

We can trust Russia more in any case , because they also want us to support them .

In worst condition of war , if Russia is with us and USA is against us will be more better then USA is with us and Russia china pakistan against us .

thats my point. we cant afford to have 3 or more enemies in the same continent. it will have negative impact on trade,economy and society in long run.

many dnt know russia has more oil and natural gas deposit than any nation,project like indo russia pipe lines, economic corridor through charbahar etc will help both of the nation economically and meeting our future energy needs.Russia will also help india in creating uranium reserve here

https://in.rbth.com/economics/coope...-in-creating-uranium-reserve-for-india_613993

its the same US that imposed banned on us after pokhran 2,caused delay in Tejas , supplied tonnes of weapon to pak in kargil .its hard to forget all and move forward.may be its easy for our politicians but not for us.

all i am saying we should not push deal with US to an extent that we have to regret in future.

americans do business with nations not friendship ,we should adopt the same strategy and not get over excited with any INDO -US deal. treat them like business partner not as friends. they use us we use them ...

as far as economy is concerned many of US supporter forgets that US has 19 trillion dollar as debt and mostly it owes to china.No way US can pay the debt unless they plan next WW3.n they are planning good.

most of the debt US owes is to china,its matter of time and will of china to pull the red carpet underneath the US.i hope ppl here are aware of this

US literally raped japan and vietnam to an extent that it has become their moral and humanitarian duty to protect these nation in future.IF u read about project orange in vietnam it will bleed ur heart.every 1 knws why US fought vietnam war, to drive thier economy.WAR RUNS US ECONOMY LIKE HORSE.

when US imposed trade embargo on russia ,germany was reluctant to the sanction, germany and many EU countries trade more with russia than US itself. but u cant defy ur masters once u submitted urself. a whole continent suffers coz they are in PHREINDSHIP WITH UNCLE SAM.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-28400218

all i am saying is choose your friends wisely.sometimes you have to do friendship with enemies too ,i agree, but it shud be short and to the point.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles