US, India sign military logistics agreement

airtel

Country flag
We ourselves are downplaying the significance of this agreement,to protect our relations with Russia and it seems to be going well with them believing it,but it may send the Americans the wrong signal

Personally I'd call this what it is , a clear shift of India into the western bloc , wouldn't tout it and scream to the world but wouldn't deny it either,but I'll leave this to the diplomats.
Finally some actual diplomacy and intelligence shown by the people who decide our Foreign Policy.
http://www.ndtv.com/india-news/chin...terms-it-normal-cooperation-1452211?site=full

China Downplays India-US Logistics Agreement, Terms It 'Normal Cooperation'

Indeed.

It will be like win - win for both of them.

what is the significance of this agreement ??

rishivashista13

Country flag
अरे भिया , हमें इससे क्या फायदा ?
Our navy will not operate in american region because it is not required , don't need their navel bases etc . हमारा तो उधर किसीसे कोई पंगा ही नहीं है ।
But this seems very beneficial for America , they are willing to increase their navel presence in this region . Off corse they will use this facility we just gave to them .
पर हमें क्या मिला ?
Why it is beneficial for India ?

Sent from my Micromax Q380 using Tapatalk

Zebra

Country flag
May be, now India can buy US defence products and services at discounted rate. If I am not wrong.
....................................................................................................................................

अरे भिया , हमें इससे क्या फायदा ?
Our navy will not operate in american region because it is not required , don't need their navel bases etc . हमारा तो उधर किसीसे कोई पंगा ही नहीं है ।
But this seems very beneficial for America , they are willing to increase their navel presence in this region . Off corse they will use this facility we just gave to them .
In which part of the world, US naval presence is not there.

Near India too.................................https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diego_Garcia

पर हमें क्या मिला ?
Why it is beneficial for India ?

Check that blue colour part.

On top of it, strategic benefits, to be with US.

rishivashista13

Country flag
May be, now India can buy US defence products and services at discounted rate. If I am not wrong.
....................................................................................................................................

In which part of the world, US naval presence is not there.

Near India too.................................https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diego_Garcia

Check that blue colour part.

On top of it, strategic benefits, to be with US.
This deal has nothing to do with weapons . There is different deal for that .
Question is why we sign this deal ?
Are we getting something ?
Or just for India America friendship ?
Are we in american pressure for this deal ?
Do we really want to use American military bases ? Will we ?

raja696

I guess in war like scenarios India dont have external bases like usa do.

It would be good for our navy take several stops to reach enemy quietly. If ever our enemy surrounded us and blocked us at scs as no go zone.

Its cheaper for us and safe umbrella while refuelling in war times. Our Enemy can not attack usa base even wen they know our location at war times.

Thats a win-win.

Scarface

Signifance in what sense ?
Benefits ?
Indian Navy will get access to US bases for R&R if they need it,will help us greatly expand our long distance operations,US too will get access to our bases for the same

The geo-political significance of this agreement is that LEMOA is a fine tuned version of LSA which is signed by all US allies
Putting us in the same group as them

Another benefit of this agreement is now we can have higher degree of tech transfer than what was previously available to us and purchase weapons only reserved for allies (like the predator) from the U.S

It would be good for our navy take several stops to reach enemy quietly. If ever our enemy surrounded us and blocked us at scs as no go zone.

Its cheaper for us and safe umbrella while refuelling in war times. Enemy can not attack usa base even in war.

Thats a win-win.
Depending on who we go to war with both India and US reserve the right to deny docking and other services to each other,so we shouldn't be so sure about that.
From what I know,this clause was added on insisting from the Indian side.

hardip

no my dear country man..think about.. some strategic Situation.. man

Indian already use USA military hardware..
not only use but also produce in India..

Remember one thing..
when ur Think about USA.. this country never compromise their Benefits.. In economical, political, and military,

USA ind relationship not like.. USSR ind relationship..
USA never give us..( india) or to any country without their Benefits interest...

so walk on this track..u think nd u believe that..
What ind do use military base.of USA?
( yes, USA can use ind base in critical situation like Chinese thread)

Our interest is.. Maybe
currently situation...is
(Hmmmm )
south china disputed,
us intervention in South China ( what Chinese never like)
us friends allies group under Chinese Thread but Chinese never take step to attack on..them( japan,indonesia,Vietnam,Taiwan, ) because there r US MILITARY base..with US solder..

so.. now also.. think full.. that.. Chinese r just try to Be A Asian Super power.(also in economic) .on that way lots of.. Militarization on going..or development secretly ..
China also $45 Billion CPEC ambitious project. with pak.
for direct exists in West Asia Through pak..

because of pak policy (from2-3 decades) for Kashmir..
our pm modi change game to confront pak people in j&k.. Take a bold decision nd spoke about.. Sindh- baluchistan human rights violations against Pakistan.. since over 20 year
this can effect on CPEC project..directly because if UNITED Nations watch on this matter.. The truth is exposing..that CPEC area people's property taken illegal by Pakistani forces / government.. project..Can delay... or stop..
nd that's not good for Chinese ambition..
....so may be.. Chinese want take some serious actions (may be military action) like 1962 war.. when Our Stupid PM nehru.. leave in other dream.. "the3 Rd alies of the world is india.."nd Nehru though he is the leader.. so on that thought Nehru.. word openly Against Chinese Occupied Tibet in1959.. so Chinese take after 3 year.. action on india.
.Chinese taken Indian territory.. after war..

I know today is Not like situation of Indian military..
but india is only country maybe for the soft target for all Chinese aginst situation..

think about.
if Chinese attack again india..(Oviously) with full power..
Which country can backing up?
u can see.. What happened in NSG?
our Best call country (which is not) Brazil, South Africa, new zealand) stand with China.
First name is Russia.?
don't forget Russian federation stop openly back india.before.. 10-20 year. ..aslo because of us -ind relationship..also rus not like us ind relationship which is going more growing..
Us sanctions on Russia ..rus face economic crisis..
Chinese r looking for support Russia. in Syria with military power.. what Russia actually must need.
other.. country??
which one..??
all EU Countries working on USA.. signle.

only USA is that country can Full backup..today.
so india Use Diplomatic Sign like this policy..***

(possible Condition apply)
:)

Zebra

Country flag
This is not a weapon's deal, but it might affect the price of weapons in future deals, if we make this type of agreements with US.

If US can get this type of deals with the help of pressure, then I am pretty sure they could have get it done much earlier.

Who knows.

Akask kumar

It seems that full form of PRC has been changed.
Some paki "chinesed" China's name for an imaginary alliance, we never heard of, without paying for copyright.:pound:
View attachment 10062
Other conspiracy theory, epic one this time!
RAA agents dictated US politics and policies!
@Navnit Kundu @Akask kumar
View attachment 10063
View attachment 10064
:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:
PRC- pak russia china ?? WTF??:bs:eek:nly in dreams or under high dose of charas one cud imagine that.. talking about reality , have they ever heard of BRICS-brazil,russia,india,china??

russia will never like to lose its big business partners like India.what economic benefit will russia have on making India as enemy and pak as firend.where was russia and china when US broke in ur country and killed OSAMA

failed nation like pak is a cancer/burden to it allies and neighbors.. china is only interested there 4 better access to the arabian sea they dont care 4 pak bro hood,they know what islamic zealots are worth.they barely allow islamic practices in china (ramzan ban),communism and religion dnt go side by side..china a highly communist country and pak a highly religious country

rishivashista13

Country flag
Actually nobody knows here that how this deal is beneficial for India .
Do India need American military base ?
No . I don't think our Navy operates there , and there is no need to do so .

Do America need our base ?
Yes ! Off corse .

Do we need American bases for war like situation ?
बकवास , no use .

So why do actually signed the deal ? For reducing cost of weapons ?
Ha ha ........ [emoji1] [emoji1] [emoji1]

Please anyone tell some solid reason for this deal .

Scarface

Yes ! Off corse .

बकवास , no use

Why doesn't India need US bases ?
We have a naval presence in the South China Sea,had a drilling operation for oil in the South China Sea with permission from Vietnam.

With access to US bases in the region it would be much easier for the Navy to safeguard our drilling operations.

And in a war like situation we can use everything we get,and if the US offers it's bases then it would be a great help to us.

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
btw Russian media Analysis is Interesting ......

http://m.sputniknews.com/military/20160829/1044725072/lemoa-us-india-military-agreement.html

When Life Gives You LEMOA: Inside the Controversial US-Indian Military Agreement
02:59 29.08.2016
As the US and India Defense Ministers prepare to sign a LEMOA treaty, which will enable the two country to use each other’s military bases, there is still a significant amount of confusion and controversy around the act.
Manohar Parrikar, the Defense Minister of India, has left to the US to meet with US Defense Secretary Ashton Carter. This meeting is expected to end with signing of LEMOA act, a treaty which will enable the two countries to use each other's military infrastructure.

Interestingly, the media coverage description of the act is highly controversial. Forbes, for instance, is quick to say that LEMOA will enable "US armed forces… operate out of Indian bases."

"The US Navy plans to deploy 60 percent of its surface ships in the Indo-Pacific in the near future. Instead of having to build facilities virtually from the ground up, as in Afghanistan and Iraq, the US has the benefit of simple arrangements for the tremendous Indian facilities," Forbes's Charles Tiefer writes.

However, the Indian Defense ministry officials insist that no US troops will be deployed in India, and the bases will be used only for berthing or refueling of each other's warships.

"This pact that has been agreed in principle will only facilitate military logistics cooperation such as joint military exercises and did not entail stationing of any US troops on Indian soil," the officials said, adding that this agreement should not be viewed as a move by New Delhi to support Washington in forming any alliance against China.

Ironically, Forbes says exactly the opposite:

"For Prime Minister Modi, it is a major step for India away from its Cold War alliance with Russia, toward a new alliance with the U.S. (and Japan and Australia) to protect the Indian Ocean and the seas off Southeast Asia, especially from China."

While it seems quite obvious that both sides aim to represent the agreement, which has previously caused a significant amount of controversy within Indian Parliament and has been delayed several times, as their own diplomatic victory, the experts also share different opinions on the issue.

Defense Analyst C Uday Bhaskar believes that it is "India's interest in the long term in terms of being able to obtain fuel and logistics at short notice."

"At a time when India needs to maintain its presence in the region, this is a useful traction for India," he says, adding that the agreement is unlikely to be binding in nature and India will always have the right to refuse assistance.

Strategic Affairs expert Bharat Karnad, however, thinks different, and even says that Prime Minister Modi has "lost what little strategic sense he may have started out with."

"India is set to lose its sovereign decision-making status and strategic independence", he says, adding that LEMOA will still mark India as a secondary power and American camp follower.

Karnad notes that stationing of US troops in India will cause "social turmoil" among Indian citizens and, should India be pulled into a conflict against its allies — China or Russia — it would be a "disaster".
(China humara ally kab ban gaya ??)

According to head of Cyber Initiative at the Observer Research Foundation, Arun Mohan Sukumar, the Indian government should be very careful about this agreement and seek its own interest; otherwise it will have troubles "selling it at home".

"It is one thing for India to leverage the agreements to aid its role as a "net security provider" and another to be drawn into US-China rivalry in the region," he writes.

And, apparently, there is some strategic self-interest for India in this agreement, as, according to Dr. Rupakjyoti Borah, Research Fellow with Japan Forum for Strategic Studies, India seeks to sign the agreement before the US Presidential Elections in November.

Noting that the victory of Donald Trump will likely hurt US-Indian ties, Borah says that "it makes perfect sense for New Delhi to make hay while the sun shines."

@Ankit Purohit @raja696 @aditya10r
@Akask kumar @airtel @angeldude13 @aditya10r @Abhijat @ @Ancient Indian @ @anupamsurey @ @aliyah @ @Alien @ @Alien @Aravind Sanjeev @A chauhan @asingh10 @aditya g @asianobserve @Bahamut @BATTLE FIELD @bose @Bornubus @brational @blueblood @Blackwater @Blood+ @bhai-117 @Bangalorean @bengalraider @Bengal_Tiger @biswas_k11 @Bharat Ek Khoj @Brood Father @cobra commando @Chirag @Chris Jude @Chinmoy @Cadian @DingDong @dhananjay1 @ersakthivel @FRYCRY @G10 @Gessler @garg_bharat @guru-dutt @Hari Sud @hit&run @hardip @HeinzGud @indiandefencefan @I_PLAY_BAD @Indian Devil @Indibomber @Jangaruda @Jay Patel @jackprince @Kshatriya87 @kstriya @LETHALFORCE @laughingbuddha @mhk99 @Mikesingh @mayfair
@MetsaMan @Mark Antony @manutdfan @maomao @Navneet Kundu @Neil @Nicky G @OneGrimPilgrim @pmaitra @parijataka @PaliwalWarrior @Pulkit @PrashantAzazel @Rahul Singh @Rowdy @Razor @Rashna @rock127 @R.parida @shade @sasum @smestarz @Sakal Gharelu Ustad @Srinivas_K @sunnyv @sgarg @sabari @Sameet2 @saik @sorcerer @Superdefender @sydsnyper @Sridevi @SREEKAR @Screambowl @Sylex21 @Tactical Frog @TejasMK3 @The enlightened @tejas warrior @tharun @thethinker @tsunami @TODELU @VIP @VaghaDeva @Vishwarupa @Vishal Guts @Yusuf @Yumdoot @Zebra @roma

What an Idiot this B Karnad is. Does he claim to be an expert on strategic/Military affairs ?
I found nothing in this gibberish that is academically coherent or even worth debating.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag

Yes ! Off corse .

बकवास , no use .

Right now there is no immediate requirement for us.

But there is a possibility that once Chabahar gets active, can we assume refuelling might be required from Djibouti American base?

And also access to Diego Garcia will not hurt.

rishivashista13

Country flag
After some reading what I come through is -
America has various military bases around the world .
If we can use their foreign bases then it can be helpful for us .
One of their base in Oman (Masirah) can be really helpful for our Navy for circling pakistan from two sides .
America has many bases in Japan , one in South Korea and in Hong Kong they can be useful for tackling China if required .
And American bases in Bahrain , Djibouti and Diego Garcia can also be helpful some day because they are near of our region .
That can be the reason I understand why we signed this deal .

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
What is the use of the base at BIOT/DeigoGarcia? For the US I guess they station their bombres, replenishments there.
But what is the use for India?

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
After some reading what I come through is -
America has various military bases around the world .
If we can use their foreign bases then it can be helpful for us .
One of their base in Oman (Masirah) can be really helpful for our Navy for circling pakistan from two sides .
America has many bases in Japan , one in South Korea and in Hong Kong they can be useful for tackling China if required .
And American bases in Bahrain , Djibouti and Diego Garcia can also be helpful some day because they are near of our region .
That can be the reason I understand why we signed this deal .

America has a base in Hong Kong? :wtf:

I highly doubt that.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag

Its cheaper for us and safe umbrella while refuelling in war times. Our Enemy can not attack usa base even wen they know our location at war times.

Thats a win-win.
That's an interesting point which leads me to questios.

Q: Suppose there is a war b/w India and PRC, is the US obliged by this treaty to provide refuelling/safe haven etc at its Asia-Pacific bases? (I doubt it, but not sure how this treaty works)
Q: How about a US-PRC war, is India obliged to do the same for the US? What happens if PRC attacks an Indian base (sheltering/refuelling etc an America ship) or an indian ship with american "personnel"? Will India be drawn into that war?
How does the treaty work? Does it apply in these situations?

raja696

Q: Suppose there is a war b/w India and PRC, is the US obliged by this treaty to provide refuelling/safe haven etc at its Asia-Pacific bases? (I doubt it, but not sure how this treaty works)
Q: How about a US-PRC war, is India obliged to do the same for the US? What happens if PRC attacks an Indian base (sheltering/refuelling etc an America ship) or an indian ship with american "personnel"? Will India be drawn into that war?
It depends on mutual interest i believe. I dont think India would allow usa in to our bases during usa vs china war. we are not in a position to give protection from agressor ie chinese from such a close proximity.

But viceversa usa can allow us into there bases provided mutual interest. Because usa is much stronger in providing cover and has no land link to Chinese.

India did a great move.

Akask kumar

Yes ! Off corse .

बकवास , no use .

i read today despite of no LEMOA tie in 1960s , the pd jawahar lal nehru allowed US to operate on indian soil , they used our base in odisha for 5 years from 1962-67,operating U2 spy plane .. in fact nehru restrucutred the base to accomodate the spy planes.. based on the intel of the U2 plane americans informed nehru about the chinese movements across the border and what happpened we all know,we went war with china..
was the intel right or we were pushed by americans to go to wat with china in 1960s?

so , this is not the first time americans will be using military bases in india.. it happened before, the difference is now we gave them official access inside our borders. ARE deceitful americans palying their cunning game?

IF india china goes at war only west will benefit ..and we should not hurt the feelings of the russia to an extent that they side with pakis and chinese for real..

AMerica will always want rivalry between India and china ,coz it benefits them in every way.

BUT IT IS ALSO TRUE THAT THERE ARE US BASES IN SOUTH KOREA,JAPAN ETC AROUND CHINA THAT MAY COME HANDY IF WE GO AT WAR..

WE SERIOUSLY NEED SOME EXPERT OVER THIS TOPIC

Last edited:

Scarface

Nobody is obligated to provide any kind of support at any situation.
Both of the countries can deny each other the facilities be it peace time or war time and both can support each other in war time if they want to.

As far as a war between India-China is concerned,
I'm sure the U.S will not only provide us the base facilities but also military assistance,they know and we know that we NEED an ally right now,Russia can no longer back us up militarily considering their Chinese interests

And I can also see India AT LEAST providing rest and relief and even refuelling to the USN,there is a possibility Chinese will take military action against us but it's very slim

If US really is at war with the Chinese , then they will have other things to worry about than dragging India into the war by attacking us just for providing maintenance to US ships,if they do attack our bases they'll just be multiplying their problems by a magnitude , I don't think they would want to deal with USN and IN + land front in India when USN and it's ASEAN allies can already prove to be more than a match for them.

If they do,It would be a strategic blunder on their part and will cost them the war.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles