Separate Tamil nation will become a reality in Sri Lanka: M Karunanidhi

Do you support a separate homeland for Tamils in Sri Lanka?

• Yes.

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • No.

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • I am not sure.

Votes: 7 29.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Galaxy

Country flag

19 APR, 2012, 10.08

CHENNAI: Two days after welcoming the idea of a referendum for a separate 'Eelam', DMK chief M Karunanidhi on Thursday said the "blood spilt and the sacrifices made by Tamils" in Sri Lanka would not go waste and a separate nation will come into existence some day.

"A separate Tamil Eelam rings in the ears of Tamils living all over the world as a liberation song. The sacrifice of lives and the blood spilt by Tamil people in Sri Lanka would not go waste," he said in a letter to party workers.

The DMK leader said "if not tomorrow, Tamil Eelam will come into existence day after."

Referring to the demand for a UN-sponsored referendum for this purpose, Karunanidhi said countries including East Timor and South Sudan had come into existence following such an initiative by the international body.

He recalled earlier DMK resolution in 1983 demanding a separate homeland for Tamils, saying it was not possible for them to co-exist with the majority Sinhalas "in the wake of the genocide."

Karunanidhi had on April 17 welcomed the idea of a referendum for creation of a separate Tamil Ealam and called for India to play a role in this regard.

Separate Tamil nation will become a reality in Sri Lanka: M Karunanidhi - The Economic Times

Galaxy

Country flag
After death of Karunanidhi, DMK will be divided in two parts. 1 part might merge/allie with Congress and other group will exist as minor regional party (fighting for 3rd place) like JD(s) in Karnataka. Just my personal opinion!!

SPIEZ

Country flag
After death of Karunanidhi, DMK will be divided in two parts. 1 part might merge/allie with Congress and other group will exist as minor regional party (fighting for 3rd place) like JD(s) in Karnataka. Just my personal opinion!!
They might fight within themselves, but sure as hell they wont let the power they have slip out of their hand. Interesting turning point in Tamil Nadu politics

Galaxy

Country flag
They might fight within themselves, but sure as hell they wont let the power they have slip out of their hand. Interesting turning point in Tamil Nadu politics
Power becomes secondary when it's matter of becoming top leader. it's fight of ego and acceptability!

Like Raj and Uddhav Thackeray fighting for being successor of Bal Thackeray. if both will be together, Shiv Sena can come in power easily with BJP. But It's clash between who is No. 1! Karundahi family members will fight themselves and I am quite sure Congress already infiltrated in party. Congress will hit when time will come.

Jaylalitha will remain as No. 1 leader.

Rajnikanth ? BJP or it's own regional party. Don't know why back-channel deal with BJP didn't materialized till date. Sooner or later, he will join politics.

Yes, you rightly said, In next few years or decade, there will be Interesting turning point in Tamil Nadu politics.

Last edited:

SPIEZ

Country flag
Power becomes secondary when it's matter of becoming top leader. it's fight of ego!

Like Raj and Uddhav Thackeray fighting for being successor of Bal Thackeray. Karundahi family will fight themselves and I am quite sure Congress already infiltrated in party. Congress will hit when time will come.

Jaylalitha will remain as No. 1 leader.

For the next 5 years she ll remain No 1. After that it's anyone's guess.
Rajnikanth ? BJP or it's own regional party. Don't know why back-channel deal with BJP didn't materialized till date. Sooner or later, he will join politics.

Yes, you rightly said, In next few years or decade, there will be Interesting turning point in Tamil Nadu politics.
Rajnikanth ran away from politics. He doesn't have the same respect now, which he had once.

Vijaykanth maybe a fore see-able option. But I m not sure on that either.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
One of the few times that I'd agree with you. :D

Apollyon

Führer
Country flag
Then what ... a separate Tamil Nation craved from India .... WTF .... :facepalm:
PS : you guys are happy with SriLankan players playing for Chennai Super Kings in IPL but you hate SriLanka to the core ... WTF ... Hypocrites ... :facepalm:

Galaxy

Country flag
For the next 5 years she ll remain No 1. After that it's anyone's guess.

Rajnikanth ran away from politics. He doesn't have the same respect now, which he had once.

Vijaykanth maybe a fore see-able option. But I m not sure on that either.
Let see, But political set-up of T.N. will surely change. It would be interesting to see which actor joins politics. Rumor of Rajnikanth still floating in political circle!

But I am quite sure on DMK part.

SPIEZ

Country flag
One of the few times that I'd agree with you. :D
Don't think so, Stalin might be CM and ALAgiri might be party chief, 2 center of powers will exist in DMK. Just as it had existed during his last tenure (though softly). They might fight against themselves, but they re not stupid enough to let their ego get ahead and loose whatever power they have

SPIEZ

Country flag
Let see, But political set-up of T.N. will surely change. It would be interesting to see which actor joins politics. Rumor of Rajnikanth still floating in political circle!

But I am quite sure on DMK part.
Stalin was already appointed as deputy CM during KK last tenure. I don't see it coming.

Galaxy

Country flag
Then what ... a separate Tamil Nation craved from India .... WTF .... :facepalm:
PS : you guys are happy with SriLankan players playing for Chennai Super Kings in IPL but you hate SriLanka to the core ... WTF ... Hypocrites ... :facepalm:
No one is talking of Tamil nation. We are discussing politics after death of Karunanidhi :D

Don't read too much between lines. It's just political statement!

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Don't think so, Stalin might be CM and ALAgiri might be party chief, 2 center of powers will exist in DMK. Just as it had existed during his last tenure (though softly). They might fight against themselves, but they re not stupid enough to let their ego get ahead and loose whatever power they have
We can bet on that. MK departs and they will fight even before the ash of the pyre turns cold!

trackwhack

He should be charged with sedition based on the statement

"A separate Tamil Eelam rings in the ears of Tamils living all over the world as a liberation song. The sacrifice of lives and the blood spilt by Tamil people in Sri Lanka would not go waste," he said in a letter to party workers.

Galaxy

Country flag
Stalin was already appointed as deputy CM during KK last tenure. I don't see it coming.
Well, Normally political party don't face such division when they are in power. DMK is still in power in center and having many key portfolio. It's all about who will be CM candidate and rest of the post won't make difference. No one can blame Karunanidhi until he is alive. problem will start after his death only. Congress will try to break it and IMO it will be successful. Strategy is already in place.

Remember G K Moopanar of Tamil Manila Congress ? Once upon a time, party won 20 LS seat but soon after his death, it was merged with Congress. Chidambaram was key at that time and Today third most important leader in UPA-2 cabinet!

Last edited:

Apollyon

Führer
Country flag
No one is talking of Tamil nation. We are discussing politics after death of Karunanidhi :D

Don't read too much between lines. It's just political statement!
:why: :why::why::why::why::why: ..... :denied:

SPIEZ

Country flag
He should be charged with sedition based on the statement
And there's a guy here who supports everything he says.

Well, Normally political party don't face such division when they are in power. DMK is still in power in center and having many key portfolio. It's all about who will be CM candidate and rest of the post won't make difference. No one can blame Karunanidhi until he is alive. problem will start after his death only. Congress will try to break it and IMO it will be successful. Strategy is already in place.

Remember G K Moopanar of Tamil Manila Congress ? Once upon a time, party won 20 LS seat but soon after his death, it was merged with Congress. Chidambaram was key at that time and Today third most important leader in UPA-2 cabinet!
It is a laughing stock at the center. They are holding on to their last straw.

Chiddu doesn't have what it takes. He couldn't even win an election straight in his hometown.
Chiddu also had a lot to do with the split of Congress. You know that he floated his own party in the middle right?

Last edited:

Galaxy

Country flag
Chiddu doesn't have what it takes. He couldn't even win an election straight in his hometown.
Chiddu also had a lot to do with the split of Congress. You know that he floated his own party in the middle right?
Every leader is not a mass leader. He is one of the think-tank of Congress.

May be he floated his own party to show everyone that he is not happy with Congress ? ;) He also went with Moopnar and when he died, He merged whole TMC to Congress. You can't break another political party without infiltration!

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

19 APR, 2012, 10.08

CHENNAI: Two days after welcoming the idea of a referendum for a separate 'Eelam', DMK chief M Karunanidhi on Thursday said the "blood spilt and the sacrifices made by Tamils" in Sri Lanka would not go waste and a separate nation will come into existence some day.

The DMK leader said "if not tomorrow, Tamil Eelam will come into existence day after."

Referring to the demand for a UN-sponsored referendum for this purpose, Karunanidhi said countries including East Timor and South Sudan had come into existence following such an initiative by the international body.

He recalled earlier DMK resolution in 1983 demanding a separate homeland for Tamils, saying it was not possible for them to co-exist with the majority Sinhalas "in the wake of the genocide."

Karunanidhi had on April 17 welcomed the idea of a referendum for creation of a separate Tamil Ealam and called for India to play a role in this regard.

Separate Tamil nation will become a reality in Sri Lanka: M Karunanidhi - The Economic Times
Good for him!

When one is in political decline, it is best to whip up regional/community. religious sentiments.

An old hat.

I take it that he is on the next fishing boat to SL to practice what he preaches!

Another Rajaraja Chola in the making!

I wish him well and God Speed!

Even so, after that the butchery and deceit SL Govt did in the 'safe no fire zone', even my ears rings for the want of justice!

And I am not a Tamil!

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles