Muslims in Govt. or Communist service banned from Ramadan fasting

Samar Rathi

Country flag
Officials in China's turbulent north-western region of Xinjiang are tightening restrictions on Muslim practices including mass prayers during Ramadan, according to government notices.

Government employees and Communist party members are banned from fasting, wearing veils or growing beards, said circulars posted on several official websites. Other measures - which appear to vary area to area - include forcing restaurants to maintain their usual opening hours instead of shifting them in light of dawn-to-dusk fasting.

Religious controls are usually stricter during Ramadan but experts say this year's are noticeably stronger and believe it is the first time they have been published rather than passed on orally.

A notice on the Zhaosu county website said that ideological education had to be stepped up in the face of "violent and disruptive activities by religious extremists, separatists and terrorists".

Last month saw the worst violence for a decade with a string of fatal attacks including an assault on police in Kashgar that left 16 officers dead and 16 wounded. No one has claimed responsibility but officials have blamed Uighur separatists.

Two of the towns that posted notices, Xinhe and Shaya, are near Kuqa, where 11 people died in suicide bombings and police shootings a few days later.

Around half the population of the vast region of Xinjiang is composed of Muslim Uighurs. Many resent the religious and cultural restrictions placed upon them and some seek an independent East Turkestan.

A note on the Shaya government website said propaganda and inspections should be stepped up during the period. "Fasting and participation in religious activities by party members and students is forbidden," it said.

The note called for stronger security at mosques, saying that officials should "prohibit playing recordings, videos or using loudspeakers to force people to take part in fasting. Work units or individuals are not allowed to hand out religious propaganda in public areas."

It said people were forbidden from forcing others to fast, attend religious activities or cover their face with veils. "Effective measures" should be taken to ensure people who already had beards and veils removed them, the note said, although it appears it may have been referring to officials and public sector workers.

A Zhaosu county website notice said officials should "try to reduce Ramadan's influence on society as much as possible".

It told them to "dissuade people from attending organised and planned worship in large groups in order to prevent mass incidents; prevent, guide and stop situations like closing restaurants during Ramadan, students attending religious activities, women going into mosques with veils and shops stopping selling wines and cigarettes".

"To the best of my knowledge it's the first time this has been explicitly spelled out in this way - normally these instructions are not put in writing," said Nicholas Bequelin, an expert on Xinjiang at Human Rights Watch. Measures such as the restrictions on restaurants were "definitely more intrusive than before," he said.

"What has been driving these increasingly invasive restrictions on religious and cultural behaviour is the fear that Uighurs are not loyal to the party and government," Bequelin said. "It used to be the case that some cadres in the 80s and early 90s were clearly religious. That's not possible any more because the state sees what it regards as ostentatious religiosity as an act of defiance towards the government."

China officials tighten restrictions on Muslim practices | World news | theguardian.com

Reactions: jus

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
Wonder what our Pakistani friends have to say. @Neo
After all, "Islam Khatre Mein Hay"

Last edited by a moderator:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
It is an annual feature in Xinjaing enforced by the CCP.

However, this year it is more serious for them s ince the Uighurs have been more aggressive adn more effective against the CCP and Han Chinese than ever before.

Congregations, be it at the Mosque or when breaking the fast, can be ideal for he Uighurs to strike back as an organised group and in strength, at the CCP and the Han Chinese.

Srinivas_K

Country flag
It is an annual feature in Xinjaing enforced by the CCP.

However, this year it is more serious for them s ince the Uighurs have been more aggressive adn more effective against the CCP and Han Chinese than ever before.

Congregations, be it at the Mosque or when breaking the fast, can be ideal for he Uighurs to strike back as an organised group and in strength, at the CCP and the Han Chinese.
Mr @Ray this year Chinese CCP is issuing the orders publicly on school websites and other government controlled media. Chinese are using their iron hand on xinjiang region and are also targeting Islam openly.

Interesting to see the reaction from sub-continent muslims.

Srinivas_K

Country flag
Group Condemns China's Restriction from Ramadan Fasting in Xinjiang
An exile group has denounced China's move to ban civil servants, students and teachers from participating in the celebration of Ramadan fasting that began over the weekend.

Notices have been posted on several government websites, issuing warnings to the Muslim community, reminding them that they are not allowed to partake in any religious activity, including fasting.

""¦civil servants and students cannot take part in fasting and other religious activities," commercial affairs bureau of Turfan city said in its Web site, adding, "We remind everyone that they are not permitted to observe a Ramadan fast."

The state office managing the Tarim River included in its "reminder," a photo of its personnel in their traditional Uighur "doppa" caps, showing them together having a group meal.

In the photo, according to Channel News Asia, is the description that said, Although the meal coincided with the Muslim festival of Ramadan, the cadres who took part expressed a positive attitude and will lead the non-fasting."

Some offices made the call not only to their current employees but also to the former ones who had served their office. :troll:

Emphasizing that the directives are coming "in accordance with instructions from higher authorities", the weather bureau in Qaraqash country in western Xinjiang said in its Web site the "calls on all current and retired staff not to fast during Ramadan."

The pronouncements made by several government offices in China have been met with fury by various interest groups, including exiled World Uyghur Congress. The group's spokesman, Dilxat Raxit revealed the different ways the Chinese officials ensure that the Muslim community heeds to the government's call.

These include giving Uighurs free meals and inspecting homes to determine whether or not fasting was being observed. :wat:

"China taking these kind of coercive measures, restricting the faith of Uighurs, will create more conflict," Raxit was quoted as saying by Channel News Asia.

"We call on China to ensure religious freedom for Uighurs and stop political repression of Ramadan."

Xinjiang is a region in China with the largest members of Muslim community and it has served as home to the Uighur minority for years. But according to Channel News Asia, China's ruling Communist party has been restrictive of fasting for years, attributing its policy to its non-religious beliefs. The Web site described the ruling party as "officially atheist."

Group Condemns China's Restriction from Ramadan Fasting in Xinjiang [PHOTO/VIDEO] : Society : ChinaTopix.com

Last edited:

Srinivas_K

Country flag
First comes public executions to enrage East Turkestan people and now comes a direct attack on their faith ........ China is the super power when it comes to busting human rights :yey:

Last edited:

Srinivas_K

Country flag
Good for them, in few years chinese make Bacon is compulsory for all chinese eat it or DIE :pound:

Chinese Govt. ordered people to eat pests,rats etc....etc.. since they are damaging the crops during Mao's revolution ...... don't be surprised if CCP demands East Turkistan people to eat Bacon.

Srinivas_K

Country flag
I don't think govt order is required for chinese (not muslims) to eat insects they openly eat cat,dog festivals,even infants

But i enjoyed it,day by day every country making muslim life miserable, like they do if they are in majority(Karma :lol:)
Muslims are hypocrites .... But the attitude of CCP to extract every bit human energy even in the holy month of muslims is what need to be noted.

CCP is an authoritative regime which will go to any extent to make people work.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Mr @Ray this year Chinese CCP is issuing the orders publicly on school websites and other government controlled media. Chinese are using their iron hand on xinjiang region and are also targeting Islam openly.

Interesting to see the reaction from sub-continent muslims.
Pakistan will overlook the same, being in the game of practic\sing Opportunist Islam.

None will really raise a finger, be it in the Islamic world or elsewhere since trade with China is important to most. The surrogates will only fall in line.

Srinivas_K

Country flag

This is not about working muslims eat fully @morning (It's just a bahana)

CCP always suppress any religion bcoz religion brings unity in set of ppl .........these united ppl make demands/rallies/online petitions etc......if demands not met protest/riots............. leads to more riots finally Civil war (In authoritarian structure)
Check the articles CCP is stressing to not to fast because people become weak ........ every year there are hundreds of protests across China ....... Protests are not new for them but as you pointed out religion is a problem.

Srinivas_K

Country flag
U don't know CCP
:violin: :eek:hplease:

there is unofficia ban on MUSLIM BEARDS,BURKAS& FRIDAY PRAYERS........
Correct :thumb:

i said earlier they eat STOMACH FULL @MORNING/evening. It is just bahana u can FAST 1 day there is not much problem/weak
Without water intake regularly some people will become weak for sure .... there is a difference between a guy who take 3 meals and day and 2 meals a day. I am talking about the CCP understanding.

I have done this kind of eating i,.e eating only after 8 pm for 2 months ..... I know how it feels. I only used to take one meal after 8 pm.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
:violin: :eek:hplease:

Correct :thumb:

Without water intake regularly some people will become weak for sure .... there is a difference between a guy who take 3 meals and day and 2 meals a day. I am talking about the CCP understanding.

I have done this kind of eating i,.e eating only after 8 pm for 2 months ..... I know how it feels. I only used to take one meal after 8 pm.
It is all based on training.

I can do without water and food for a day or more and still do rigorous military things.

In fact, even now, I forget to take water at meals,

amoy

It's a right move to ban public ervice workers + certain sectors(incumbent) from Ramadan fasting or wearing hijab / burqa whatever, though it shall have been done much earlier!

What if a surgeon on fast passes out at the operating table? or a public servant on fast denies quality service to taxpayers? or a worker faints and gets hurt?

Also noise from minarets or mass prayers could be very disturbing to non Muslims, so does praying on sidewalks, as blocks traffic. Those fully wrapped up women in black look dubious of suicide bombers.

A civilized world has to be progressive against bigots. EU court reviews French burqa ban | News | DW.DE | 27.11.2013 No doubt Muslims are able to interpret the Koran to adapt to modern realities.

India being an enemy state to China, Indian posters get worked up over the Ramadan thing just proves this is a correct decision, as in an immortal line:
**** We shall support whatever the enemy opposes and oppose whatever the enemy supports.***

Voldemort

Country flag
Those fully wrapped up women in black look dubious of suicide bombers.
Ur Paki brothers wont be too pleased with you. Religion is the most important thing for them, and since u just insulted that, dont be surprised if someday they decide to nuke you.

fyodor

Country flag
Its a good decision by CCP. You have the freedom to fast but you don't have the freedom to get paid and not work. So either fasting people work their ass of just like everyone else or don't fast. If you can't do either of the two then feel free to leave the job. Freedom.

amoy

Ur Paki brothers wont be too pleased with you. Religion is the most important thing for them, and since u just insulted that, dont be surprised if someday they decide to nuke you.
when did religion or ideology become defining for our state relationship?

do Chinese also need to worship "holy cow" or "monkey king" for hindi chini bhai bhai?

Sent from my 5910 using Tapatalk 2

Voldemort

Country flag
when did religion or ideology become defining for our state relationship?

do Chinese also need to worship "holy cow" or "monkey king" for hindi chini bhai bhai?

Hindi chini is not bhai bhai/ we are not friendly countries. No 1 is telling you worship Allah. You insulted Muslims by calling them suicide bombers.

amoy

Hindi chini is not bhai bhai/ we are not friendly countries. No 1 is telling you worship Allah. You insulted Muslims by calling them suicide bombers.
feel free to call that an insult anyway Chinese slaughter holy cows every day

Voldemort

Country flag
feel free to call that an insult anyway Chinese slaughter holy cows every day

Great job. Indians slaughter cows too and also wear veils. No one stops them.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles