MMRCA news and discussions.

Whats your Choice for the MMRCA Contest?

• Gripen

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • F16 IN

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • F18 SH

Votes: 8 7.8%
  • Mig 35

Votes: 24 23.3%
  • Dassault Rafale

Votes: 45 43.7%
  • Eurofighter Typhoon

Votes: 20 19.4%

• Total voters

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Dark! only the mil transport kind of planes have weather radars like primus500 to warn the pilot of stormy clouds on a display up to 200NM. its strange for fighter Radars to have this mode,eventhough its will with in AESA capability.
Vlad told that the Zhuk AE has this mode separately. Only Vlad can confirm this.

vishal_lionheart

- India's 10 latest defence procurement programmes-ET Slide Shows-Features-The Economic Times

The Ministry of Defence is reportedly planning to double its arms procurement and spend over $20 billion (over Rs 120,000 crore), more than twice the amount spent in the past 10 years on an annual basis. On the table are major naval acquisition programmes, including buying six submarines for abut $2.3 billion and $3 billion worth modernizations of India’s artillery corps.

Companies are, therefore, eyeing huge opportunities in the defence sector, also on the back of the India-US nuclear deal. For instance, US aerospace major Boeing alone sees a $20-billion opportunity in India’s defence sector over the next decade. It is bidding for defence orders worth $15-$20 billion for F/A-18 Super Hornet combat jets, P8I maritime surveillance aircraft and Apache combat helicopters.

According to sources, India has an ageing fighter fleet, mostly a combination of Jaguars, Russian-made MiGs and French Mirage aircraft, and some are up for replacement. India had also ordered new MKI fighters from Russia. A DefenseNews report suggests that India will increase the number of Medium Multi-Role Combat Aircraft (MMRCA) it plans to buy to 200, opening the door for more than one supplier.

{This is amusing does this means F 18 has already "won" the contract}

1) F/A-18 Super Hornet combat jets
The Boeing F/A-18E/F Super Hornet is a supersonic carrier-capable fighter/attack aircraft. The Super Hornet, which is a larger and more advanced variant of the F/A-18C/D Hornet, was first ordered by the US Navy in 1992.

It entered service with the US Navy in 1999. An early version was marketed by McDonnell Douglas as Hornet 2000 in the 1980s.

The Super Hornet is about 20 per cent larger, 7000 lb (3000 kg) heavier empty, and 15,000 lb (6800 kg) heavier at maximum weight than the original Hornet.

It carries 33 per cent more internal fuel, increasing mission range by 41 per cent and endurance by 50 per cent over the ‘Legacy’ Hornet.

2) P8I maritime surveillance aircraft

The Boeing P8I maritime patrol aircraft, which the Indian Navy is on the verge of acquiring will give it a marked edge in the Indian Ocean region and one that is comparable to its US counterpart.

The P8I, a customized version for the Indian Navy, is based on the hugely successful Boeing-737 commercial airliner.

The Navy had in November 2006 expressed an interest in the aircraft as a replacement for its existing fleet of Il-38 aircraft that are nearing the end of their service life.

{Has this also "won the contract"}
3) Apache combat helicopters

The AH-64D Apache helicopter is an advanced, versatile, survivable, deployable and maintainable multi-role combat helicopter.

The new Apache helicopter integrates digital avionics and weapons, and the powerful T700-GE-701C engine. The AH-64D Apache helicopter's predecessor is the battle-proven AH-64A Apache helicopter.

However, the new Apache helicopter is built for the digital battlefield of the future.

4) Mig-29K (Fulcrum-D) fighters

The government is also likely to buy 30 more carrier borne Mig-29K (Fulcrum-D) fighters for the Indian Navy, according to news reports.

Russians have demanded a price escalation of $2 billion, almost double the original contract cost of $2.5 billion for refurbishing the 45,000-tonne carrier, including carrying out its elaborate sea trials in Russian waters, prior to its delivery by 2012.

Under the 2004 contract for the acquisition of Admiral Gorshkov aircraft carrier, India is to receive 12 single-seater MiG-29K and four two-seater MiG-29KUB by next year, with an option of ordering additional 30 fighters by 2015.

5) Ka-31 helicopters, Il-38D aircraft

Besides Mig-29K fighters, Indian Navy is also procuring other advanced aircraft to support fleet operations.

These include Ka-31 airborne early warning helicopters for the carriers, and land-based Il-38D maritime patrol aircraft.

6) Spyder missile

India has recently signed an agreement with Israel to acquire 18 Spyder surface to air missiles to protect high-value assets of the Indian Air Force.

The plans to acquire the Spyder had been announced in 2006 but were on hold due to allegations of corruption over the Israeli Barak missiles deal for the Indian Navy signed four years ago.

But as neither the IAF nor the Navy and Army have adequate missile defence protection, the government has been under pressure to do the needful for several years.

Spyder is a static low level, quick reaction missile (LLQRM) to neutralize hostile targets up to 15 km away, and at heights between 20 to 9000 meters.

7) Akash surface to air missile

The Indian Air Force is also in the process of acquiring the indigenous Akash surface to air missile which has a little longer effective range of 25 km as part of a layered approach to defend its assets.

Both the Spyder and Akash are all weather missiles, 24 x 7 and 360 degrees with autonomous management and advanced Electronic Counter Counter Measures (ECCM) capability.

It can be launched within five seconds, and once the commander has pressed the button, the process to seek and engage an aggressive aircraft or missile is automatic.

8) Hawk Mk-132 advanced jet trainer

In a step with major implications for pilot training, the Indian Air Force recently got its first indigenously built Hawk Mk-132 advanced jet trainer (AJT), manufactured at the state-owned Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL).

Powered by a single Rolls-Royce Adour Mk 871 turbofan engine, the aircraft is the first of 42 Hawk aircraft being built under licence by HAL in India, and is the 15th Hawk AJT handed over to the IAF.

The engine is a newer version of the Adour Mk 811 that HAL already builds for the IAF Jaguar strike aircraft. HAL is building 49 of these engines, but later, the same engine will also be fitted on the six Hercules C 130Js that IAF is acquiring from the US arms major, Lockheed Martin.

Each of these special role aircraft will be fitted with four engines, so the IAF requirement could be around 30 additional engines for them including spares.

{Now what exactly is this}

9) Multi Role Combat Aircraft

IAF is also likely to start getting delivery of its 126 Multi Role Combat Aircraft (MRCAs) from 2012 onwards.

According to reports, six contenders were due to submit their response to the Request for Proposal (RfPs) or tenders by March and ministry of defence sources had indicated that it should not take them more than a year-and-a-half to examine and clear the IAF recommendations in making the choice and placing the order.

Indications are that eventually, with indigenous production, the number of MRCAs could go up to 200 or more.

10) Fifth Generation Fighter Aircraft

The Fifth Generation Fighter Aircraft (FGFA) for the Indian Air Force is likely to be inducted in 2016.

India and Russia had agreed to co-develop the FGFA and an agreement was signed in this regard some time back when defence minister A K Antony had visited Moscow in October last year.

I just want to know about technology transfer by western countries ?

Country flag
I want to know which western country transfer their LATEST TECH TO INDIA?
no western country is going give their latest tech to India, they will sell the product not the technology, many may promise TOT and change their mind later.

Vladimir79

Professional
Of course they will not get ToT for Meteor. It is made by the Euro consortium MBDA of which France is only a partial member. They wouldn't appreciate France giving away their missile industry.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Sorry if this question is repeated but with fresh ordering of 50 MKI and 29 Mig29K Russia has already a MRCA kinda deal in her bag. Also by seeing development regarding anti tank missiles from US I some how feel US is getting upper hand in MRCA what you guys think about that

AJSINGH

Sorry if this question is repeated but with fresh ordering of 50 MKI and 29 Mig29K Russia has already a MRCA kinda deal in her bag. Also by seeing development regarding anti tank missiles from US I some how feel US is getting upper hand in MRCA what you guys think about that
prevus deals do not have any bearing on MMRCA. if it was that case,we should be buying moe weapons from USA than Russia . and after all USA is not giving full TOT

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
prevus deals do not have any bearing on MMRCA. if it was that case,we should be buying moe weapons from USA than Russia . and after all USA is not giving full TOT
can't understand what are you trying to convey

Vladimir79

Professional
I believe he is saying "if that was the case, Russia already has more deals than USA so India should buy more US to even it out, but USA don't give full ToT so we shouldn't do it."

I imagine... :)>

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
I believe he is saying "if that was the case, Russia already has more deals than USA so India should buy more US to even it out, but USA don't give full ToT so we shouldn't do it."

I imagine... :)>
Well weather we believe it or not, this deal has significant political angel. I expect lot of lobbying from Representative government hence to just pacify some contenders this sort of compromise can be done. I hope I am able to convey my PoV

AJSINGH

sorry was in a hurry . my point is that we have relied on russians weapons for long.so buying more russian weapons like MKI OR MIG 29K wont affect the MMRCA decision atleast in the technical rounds. plus the very reasons why we are buying 126 aircraft is diffreet i.e to stall the drop of squadrn level whereas the reason why we are buying more MKI is to increase our counte offence capaiity against China and Pakistan

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
sorry was in a hurry . my point is that we have relied on russians weapons for long.so buying more russian weapons like MKI OR MIG 29K wont affect the MMRCA decision atleast in the technical rounds. plus the very reasons why we are buying 126 aircraft is diffreet i.e to stall the drop of squadrn level whereas the reason why we are buying more MKI is to increase our counte offence capaiity against China and Pakistan
no problem mate, I repeat my point put across in previous post, there is a significant "political angel" involved in this deal. Your point is perfectly fine but when we see this deal from political angel US has an edge

Vladimir79

Professional
sorry was in a hurry . my point is that we have relied on russians weapons for long.so buying more russian weapons like MKI OR MIG 29K wont affect the MMRCA decision atleast in the technical rounds.
Oh, I think it will affect it on technical grounds. Indian pilots are trained on Russian systems, maintenance and production crews the same. Inducting MiG-35 would happen with little problems and be fully up to speed in a couple months. All that is in favour of MiG-35 and will play a part in the decision.

plus the very reasons why we are buying 126 aircraft is diffreet i.e to stall the drop of squadrn level whereas the reason why we are buying more MKI is to increase our counte offence capaiity against China and Pakistan
The reason you buy MMRCA is exact same reason as both of those you list for MKI.

AJSINGH

no problem mate, I repeat my point put across in previous post, there is a significant "political angel" involved in this deal. Your point is perfectly fine but when we see this deal from political angel US has an edge
your are right , USA is our holy grail in international politics but India as learned to shrug off USA'S pressure ( india is not signig NPT for example)
plus if the deal goes to USA it would be in criticism because the obligations and th strings which come attached with yankee weapons.

AJSINGH

Oh, I think it will affect it on technical grounds. Indian pilots are trained on Russian systems, maintenance and production crews the same. Inducting MiG-35 would happen with little problems and be fully up to speed in a couple months. All that is in favour of MiG-35 and will play a part in the decision.

The reason you buy MMRCA is exact same reason as both of those you list for MKI.
i think you misunderstood me, i was trying to say that yankee weapons wont
have any edge in the technical evaluation .what you said is true that is hy it makes more sense to bu Mig 35
well the reason we have decided to buy more MKI is also to stalll the squadron numbers ,but primary reason is enhanced counter offensive capability

Sridhar

House keeper
Country flag
Supersonic in the Gripen

Just took a one-hour sortie in the rear-seat of a JAS-39 Gripen-D. Went supersonic for the first time (1.2 Mach). Here is a quick photo of me just before the flight. This is me in kit with Yakov, Saab's kit-up man. Has been my most fulfilling flight to date with respect to the amount of flying that I was allowed to do during the sortie, including a landing. We had a chase-plane (a Saab 105 trainer) filming my sortie, so lots of photos and a detailed post on the sortie shortly. Will be visiting the Gripen final integration facility here in Linkoping tomorrow, and will be getting an official brief on various aspects of the programme. Stay tuned.

LiveFist - The Best of Indian Defence: Supersonic in the Gripen

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles