Maya Kodnani gets 28 years over role in deadly Gujarat riots

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Finally justice caught up. This should be a warning for the future rioters. :thumb::namaste:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Finally justice caught up. This should be a warning for the future rioters. :thumb::namaste:
Still, there are many more to go in all the riots of this country, if indeed we are fair!

Tronic

Still, there are many more to go in all the riots of this country, if indeed we are fair!
Don't hold your breathe. The Congressis are busy telling everyone to "forgive and forget", or "don't invoke the painful past" when it comes down to punishing Congressii murderers.

KS

Bye bye DFI
Regarding '84 the evidences, records have long been destroyed. Moving on is the only option available unfortunately for the victims...

Oracle

Naroda Patia verdict: Sanjiv Bhatt writes scathing letter to Modi

AHMEDABAD: A day after the Naroda Patia case verdict, suspended IPS officer Sanjiv Bhatt has written a scathing letter to Gujarat chief minister Narendra Modi. Bhatt in his open letter to the CM has questioned the timing of Modi's Google+ Hangout chat and alleged that Modi had distanced himself from the Naroda Patia massacre verdict.

He has written "You must have been apprised about the punishment meted out to your loyal lieutenants Maya Kodnani and Babu Bajrangi, as well as the misguided foot-soldiers of misconceived Hindutva, who have now been condemned to spend a life in prison. Was it perchance that you smartly distanced yourself from all these unfortunate people at an opportune moment?"

Bhatt has asked Modi that has he "spared a thought for the innocent family members of the accused who have been sentenced to a lifetime behind bars?" "It is believed that you were once a married man. At some point in your life, like all normal humans, you might have been touched by the magic of love, even thought of having children starting a family, perhaps! Have you even once thought about the plight of the wives and children of your onetime adulators who have been condemned for life?"

Bhatt has asked Modi that has he ever looked at his image beyond his designer dresses. The letter goes saying, "Have you ever looked at the reflection of the real face behind the mask? Have you ever introspected about your true-self concealed behind the meticulous imagery created by your media managers? Have you even once thought whether it is really worth it to sustain power, even if it requires sacrificing fellow human beings at the altar of expediency?"

Pointing at the killing during 2002 post-Godhra riots, the letter says, "Have you ever considered, even once, whether it is alright to facilitate or connive in the killing of another human being just because he does not conform to your beliefs? Is it really worthwhile to deceive your own self.... or, is it only a small price to pay for your political ambitions?"

Bhatt ends the letter saying "I hope and pray to God that you get the time, wisdom and opportunity to find honest and truthful answers to some of these questions during this lifetime."

Jim Street

Country flag
If court don't want to give death sentence, put all these convicts in solitary, separately,in dark rooms. They shouldn't be allowed to meet their families. Imprison them for the rest of the life.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
That Bajrang man will not see the light of day.

He is there for the rest of his living life!

It is a punishment that he will not forget and will be a reminder to any who wish to do the same again!

Kodnani will be too old by the time she does her time.

And she will also regret the day for what she did!

Oracle

We will never forgive Modi: Naroda Patia victims

AHMEDABAD: It has been more than 10 years since the massacre at Naroda Patia. The survivors and witnesses of the incident are celebrating the special court verdict in the case, but said they will never be able to pardon chief minister Narendra Modi.

"The court and investigating agencies have to decide on the role of chief minister Narendra Modi it the riots. Also we have no hatred against him. But we will never forgive him as even after a decade the CM hasn't even visited us once," said Shakila Bano, who lost 10 members of her family and has been one of the prime witnesses in the case.

"As a chief minister he didn't even come to see our state or said a few words that would help us balm our wounds," said Nasreen Sheikh, another witness in the case.

Awarding punishment to 32 convicts in the Naroda Patia massacre on Friday, the special court sentenced BJP MLA Mayaben Kodnani to 28 years imprisonment and former Bajrang Dal leader Babu Bajrangi for life. The Patia residents said that Modi can't now distance himself from the case as one of their forefront party leaders has been sentenced in the case.

"Kodnani was made a women and child development minister even when she was accused in this case where women and children were burnt and chopped to death. What force acted upon on the state government to ignore our allegations which the court has upheld? That is something Modi has to explain," said Salim Shiekh, Patia resident and a witness in the case against Kodnani.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Modi is such a person that it is extraordinary as to how he has weathered the storm against him in particular all these years.

A person, other than Modi, would have buckled and become a mental wreck, given that the media, the Courts, the politics, the bureaucrats, mass sentiment of India have and still has all stacked heavily against him!

I wonder if he cares for what Naroda Patia feels for him, when he has not cared for any other sentiments or opinion against him all these years.

He reminds me of the heart agonising isolation of Shylock from the remainder of society!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Shylock was greedy for money. NM for power.
Was Shylock greedy for money?

His profession was usury. He loaned money and took interest. Just as culpable or otherwise as soldiers killing others for their Nation because that is their profession and hence not murder!

But of course, to those who had to repay, it would surely be reprehensible since they had to pay up and hence, greedy.

Verity has given the famous line in the English language - Shylock was more sinned against than sinning! ;)

But then, given the variety of views doing the rounds, one cannot make any comment on the same lines on the issue of Modi.

The Jury is still out.

One will take a call when the Supreme Court pronounces their judgement on Modi!

Last edited:

Oracle

Was Shylock greedy for money?

His profession was usury. He loaned money and took interest.

But of course, to those who had to repay, it would surely be reprehensible since they had to pay up.

Verity has given the famous line in the English language - Shylock was more sinned against than sinning! ;)

But then, given the variety of views doing the rounds, one cannot make any comment on the same lines on the issue of Modi
I agree on the bold part. Society can be wicked to the extreme too. Need to read 'Merchant of Venice' again. Loved that story in school.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Culpability of Modi should be on the Judiciary's pronouncement on him.

Gossip, rumour, innuendos, ingenuous interpolation, or doctored witness (as Setalvad did) only dilutes the case since those not affected, and those who have no axe to grind emotionally, physically, religion prompted, would prefer to judge on just handling of issues.

By continuous harangue, even those who have an iota of doubt, would just shy off when they see vendetta to include doctoring of witnesses being the main business in ensuring a mass hysteria in the misconceived belief that it will tip the balance of justice!

Who loses out?

Those who have actually faced the brunt of the riots and the train burning.

The mass hysteria played up by the media and people like Setalvad have done greater harm to the dispensation of justice.

What is the need of the hour and that of free India?

Not polarise society into schism.

But to ensure justice is delivered with sanitised, stainless steel surgical incision!

Last edited:

Oracle

/\/\/\ I agree with that statement. I have a question for you.

Do you think as the CM of Gujarat, NM should have apologized for the loss of innocent lives, taking a moral stand?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
/\/\/\ I agree with that statement. I have a question for you.

Do you think as the CM of Gujarat, NM should have apologized for the loss of innocent lives, taking a moral stand?
Personally, I find these apologies a whole lot of sham and a convenient instrument to shrug off the mass error and misery caused.

On a personal plane, one can apologise to a friend and that is accepted.

But what is a general apology?

If the Mohammed Ghori could come alive and say, 'Hey chaps, well I am sorry. I was basically a butcher masquerading as an invader", would it change history or the woes and heartbreaks he caused.

If the British apologised for the Raj atrocities eg Jalianwalla Bagh, would it change anything? The Koh i Noor would still adorn the Queen's crown.

By apologising to the Jews, did it bring alive the numerous Jews annihilated?

As I see it - No.

The fashion these days of demanding an Apology is merely a clever political trick of the guilty playing on the gullible's psychology to wash away one's sin (provided it has been proved beyond doubt).

As Omar Khayyam had written :

The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it

I am a great fan of Omar Khayyam.

Last edited:

Oracle

Personally, I find these apologies a whole lot of sham and a convenient instrument to shrug off the mass error and misery caused.

On a personal plane, one can apologise to a friend and that is accepted.

If the Mohammed Ghori could come alive and say, 'Hey chaps, well I am sorry. I was basically a butcher masquerading as an invader", would it change history or the woes and heartbreaks he caused.

If the British apologised for the Raj atrocities eg Jalianwalla Bagh, would it change anything? The Koh i Noor would still adorn the Queen's crown.

As I see it - No. It is merely a clever trick playing on the gullible's psychology to wash away one's sin (provided it has been proved beyond doubt).

As Omar Khayyam had written_

You're right. This post made me thinking.

parijataka

Country flag
On a personal plane, one can apologise o a friend and that is accepted.
As I see it - No.
The fashion these days of demanding an Apology is merely a clever political trick of the guilty playing on the gullible's psychology to wash away one's sin (provided it has been proved beyond doubt).

As Omar Khayyam had written :

===================================================================

So, in not so poetic words, the ans is -

Modi == Muhammad Ghori, the butcher, Modi == Hitler, killer of Jews, Modi == British Raj that plied India with atrocities, Modi == Shylock the Jew.

An apology from him would be equivalent to the guilty assuaging the feelings of the gullible.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles