Manipur hit by bandh over merger with India

mahesh

Country flag
A bandh called by several insurgent groups on occasion of the anniversary of Manipur's merger to India paralyzed normal life in Manipur on Saturday.

Manipur was merged to the Indian union on this day in 1949, and the rebels have been calling a bandh on October 15 every year in protest against the move.

Shops, business establishments, and markets across the state were closed during the bandh. Streets in Imphal wore a deserted look. Schools and colleges were also closed and people remained indoors.

Inter-state transport services between Imphal and neighbouring states were paralyzed while the inter-district bus services were also affected during the bandh. Flight services were, however, not affected, though people faced problems in reaching the Imphal airport with no taxis plying. The attendance in government offices was thin due to the absence of transport services, official sources said.

The bandh was called by insurgent groups including, People's Liberation Army (PLA), United National Liberation Front (UNLF), Kanglei Yawol Kann Lup (KYKL), and People's Revolutionary Party of Kangleipak (Prepak), the sources added. Police said there were no reports of any untoward incident from any part of the state during the day.

The bandh which commenced from 6 p.m yesterday would end at 6 pm on Saturday

amitkriit

My message to these Insurgent Group: Yes please keep f**king yourself and your own people.
My message to the Government of India: Please employ scourged earth tactics against them, we can grow those forests again. Why not start testing our cluster bombs in the insurgent-hit regions?

pmaitra

My message to these Insurgent Group: Yes please keep f**king yourself and your own people.
My message to the Government of India: Please employ scourged earth tactics against them, we can grow those forests again. Why not start testing our cluster bombs in the insurgent-hit regions?
Amit, get a grip. Using cluster bombs in the insurgent hit areas? What next? Nukes?

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
Because we are not a dictatorial genocidal maniacal nation to employ "scorched earth tactics" in our own borders.

Because testing cluster bombs in insurgent hit regions will kill too many innocent civilians, and will remove the last shadow of doubt in the minds of those people as to being part of India.

The issue is the lack of attention these places get in our national consciousness. Hardly any talk about the blockade that was imposed from a very long time here. What the region needs is a city on the scale of Hyderabad, Chennai or Bangalore. Not cluster bombs and scorched earth. :sad:

pmaitra

Because we are not a dictatorial genocidal maniacal nation to employ "scorched earth tactics" in our own borders.

Because testing cluster bombs in insurgent hit regions will kill too many innocent civilians, and will remove the last shadow of doubt in the minds of those people as to being part of India.

The issue is the lack of attention these places get in our national consciousness. Hardly any talk about the blockade that was imposed from a very long time here. What the region needs is a city on the scale of Hyderabad, Chennai or Bangalore. Not cluster bombs and scorched earth. :sad:
Good point bud! Today is the 84th day of the blockade. I wonder how many people know it before they go off like a loose cannon. We cannot feel the frustration of the people in Manipur. If we cannot help them, the best we can do is stay quiet.

mahesh

Country flag
ISN'T there any systematic method to control the situation, ? are the people in the same thought of not being a part of india ?
i thought this region was not effected to this extent.
may be this is one of the reason GOI not intending develop this areas..........

sandeepdg

ISN'T there any systematic method to control the situation, ? are the people in the same thought of not being a part of india ?
i thought this region was not effected to this extent.
may be this is one of the reason GOI not intending develop this areas..........
The whole NE region is in bad shape. GOI has never done much for that region since long. And no wonder it is home to so many regional insurgent groups. We can all say that terrorism is bad, but then we also need to ponder over the frustration of the people living in such states and how they have been deprived the benefits of economic development for so long that they have started harboring such feelings.

I feel that if this situation continues for another 20-25 years, there will be high probability that secessionist feelings will catch fire in all these areas which may lead a prolonged civil war and maybe possible disintegration.

So, its better that such problems, though neglected for long are immediately attended to. GOI needs to show that people living in NE troubled areas are as Indians as those living in other parts of the country and really cares for them.

The best start will be to repeal the AFSPA in Manipur.

anoop_mig25

Country flag
why Is`NT ANY government in DELHI interested in developing /freeing northeast region of INDIA. i mean what are they waiting for? are they waiting for marked to develop region once there is connectivity to south asian /east countries through northeast. in wiki leaks it was reveled that Indian policy makers are not serious about stopping terrorism and developing the region.:frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty:

amitkriit

The whole NE region is in bad shape. GOI has never done much for that region since long. And no wonder it is home to so many regional insurgent groups. We can all say that terrorism is bad, but then we also need to ponder over the frustration of the people living in such states and how they have been deprived the benefits of economic development for so long that they have started harboring such feelings.

I feel that if this situation continues for another 20-25 years, there will be high probability that secessionist feelings will catch fire in all these areas which may lead a prolonged civil war and maybe possible disintegration.

So, its better that such problems, though neglected for long are immediately attended to. GOI needs to show that people living in NE troubled areas are as Indians as those living in other parts of the country and really cares for them.

On the contrary, GOI has adopted a wait and watch policy. Insurgency in NE is primarily fuelled by tribalism, these tribal groups aren't only fighting against the government forces, but they are also fighting against each other (Manipur Blockade is an example).

We just need to sit while they kill each other off, with a bit of assistance from our intelligence agencies. There are too many nationalist movements going on in NE, and none of them is sustainable. These movements are just bubble waiting to burst, the pressure is building up. Its just a matter of time.

Off course we will witness a flare in the insurgent activities, but these activities will create more hardship for the people in this region, which will further alienate the peace-loving people from these violent groups. Development cannot be brought into this region without peace. We know what happens when GOI pours in money, all the money goies into the pockets of the politicians in the region, which must be stopped.

GOI's strategy is slowly paying up, look at Assam for an example. Myanmar will soon disown these groups for commerce with India, Bangladesh is not very keen to support them. I hope they will soon get fed up with their nomadic life-style.

The main driving force behind these movements is the money which comes from extortion, we need to do something about it.

anoop_mig25

Country flag
seven sister has less representation in Delhi so central minsters are `t concern about it they think it can controlled by guns. local leaders take advantage of the fact that know one is there to keep tab on them and so they carry on their malpractice and in this local population as well as indian security continues to be suffered .

whose idea was to integrate seven sister in India. bloody hell if cann`t provide them security then what use of intergating them within india:frusty::frusty:

pmaitra

I second that. That one needs to go. Manipur is a political issue, they should solve it politically. There was no insurgency before 2000. It was totally ignored or allowed to rot, like the other NE states so that PRC finds it difficult invade India and in case they do, so that they get bogged down in the poor infrastructure of the NE "buffer zone" while "mainland India" remains safe. Delhi needs to answer the entire NE for its step-motherly attitude.

Those suggesting cluster bombing Manipur, get some help!

Last edited:

amitkriit

seven sister has less representation in Delhi so central minsters are `t concern about it they think it can controlled by guns. local leaders take advantage of the fact that know one is there to keep tab on them and so they carry on their malpractice and in this local population as well as indian security continues to be suffered .

whose idea was to integrate seven sister in India. bloody hell if cann`t provide them security then what use of intergating them within india:frusty::frusty:
Situation is more complicated than we think. Had economic development been the deciding point for the integrity of the Indian Union, states like Bihar, UP, Chattisgarh, Orissa and Jharkhand might have been looking at China for liberation by now. Natural resources of no other state have been exploited as much as of Jharkhand and Orissa.

anoop_mig25

Country flag
Situation is more complicated than we think. Had economic development been the deciding point for the integrity of the Indian Union, states like Bihar, UP, Chattisgarh, Orissa and Jharkhand might have been looking at China for liberation by now. Natural resources of no other state have been exploited as much as of Jharkhand and Orissa.
how i situation more complicated . can u throw some light on it.its an request

amitkriit

how i situation more complicated . can u throw some light on it.its an request
Read post #9. GOI is not playing a loosing game, in fact its a very smart game and we are going to win with minimum bloodshed.

Phenom

The simple fact is Manipur has been under blockade for months now and nobody from Delhi has taken any concrete step to resolve the issue. When the Gujjars just threatened to blockade Delhi, there was a flurry of activity to get things sorted out. But in Manipur an actual blockade has been there for 80+ days and still it hardly even figures in the news. If we can't provide them with their basic needs then they will rightly question, whether we even care about them or not.

amitkriit

The simple fact is Manipur has been under blockade for months now and nobody from Delhi has taken any concrete step to resolve the issue. When the Gujjars just threatened to blockade Delhi, there was a flurry of activity to get things sorted out. But in Manipur an actual blockade has been there for 80+ days and still it hardly even figures in the news. If we can't provide them with their basic needs then they will rightly question, whether we even care about them or not.
GOI is not taking any step because two opposing tribal groups are involved in the blockade, both sides are burning trucks and supplies, if the GOI decides to act, one of the two groups will declare GOI as anti-people, this is a battle the government cannot win. That's why GOI has adopted the policy of wait and watch. Its not that GOI is not doing anything, there must be a plan, we will see it being revealed soon.

niharjhatn

exactly - it is very much a multifactorial problem, also involving aspects such as religion, ethnicity, history...

Whilst I am sympathetic to their cause, I feel that the question of their independence is out of the picture, not because of any particular hostility I have to those from the NE but the possible implications of their secession on the REST of India.

However, the problem is largely a government one due to a genuine lack of engagement and involvement with the NE on ALL fronts - not only economically, but socially and culturally as well. The people of the NE should not feel like they are being used solely as a buffer zone, but genuinely feel they are being benefited from integration with India. I know little about the region, but don't they still have that special forces act that Irom Sharmila is protesting against, as well as very strict regulations regarding tourism in the region?

Ultimately, a large part of this also lies with the people, and coming from Delhi, I can definitely confirm a general ambivalence towards those from the NE, and I am sure we have all heard stories regarding some ugly ethnic homour directed towards them.

If the rest of "mainland India" (I hate that term :frusty:) demanded that something be done and started showing genuine interest, perhaps the fate of the Seven Sisters would not continually feel like its hanging from a thread.

Are there anyone from the NE here on DFI? Whats the consensus... do the general populace feel they are Indian, a part of India, or not?

Phenom

GOI is not taking any step because two opposing tribal groups are involved in the blockade, both sides are burning trucks and supplies, if the GOI decides to act, one of the two groups will declare GOI as anti-people, this is a battle the government cannot win. That's why GOI has adopted the policy of wait and watch. Its not that GOI is not doing anything, there must be a plan, we will see it being revealed soon.
Lets assume tomorrow Vaiko carries out a blockade of Kerala (like he has been threatening), would the govt just do nothing saying there are two different groups involved? I would guess they would give the local govt a day or two to clear the roads or they would threaten to intervene directly. But when the same things happens is north east the govt just doesn't seem to think its important enough.

amitkriit

Lets assume tomorrow Vaiko carries out a blockade of Kerala (like he has been threatening), would the govt just do nothing saying there are two different groups involved? I would guess they would give the local govt a day or two to clear the roads or they would threaten to intervene directly. But when the same things happens is north east the govt just doesn't seem to think its important enough.
Vaiko doesn't represent whole Tamilnadu, neither does Tamilnadu public have a secessionist agenda. In this case two tribal nationalist groups are fighting against each other. In this case if government of India takes action against one of the groups, that group will paint it as another imperialist design of the evil "India". Any action must be initiated by the popularly elected state government with assistance from the central forces, but nothing has happened so far. Truth is that even the state government doesn't wish to be a part of this mess.

SHASH2K2

Amit those who are fighting there also donot represent whole Manipur. There are many common people suffering due to them. we send Indian soilders for peacekeeping missions across the globe but cannot solve humanitarian crisis in our own country. for how long we can allow states within the state. we must take tough decisions if there is any collateral damage let it be for greater causxe.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles