Lt gen 'risky' kahlon is no more

sandeepdg

Rest in Peace, Sir. Another loss of a fine soldier and a great leader.

RedTiger18

Was surfing today - November 7, 2011, and ran across this link. Risky was the only allied student in the last workgroup (16 folks) for which I was the Academic Counselor/Evaluator at the US Army's Command and General Staff College, Ft. Leavenworth, Kansas in the 1980-81 course. He was a gifted speaker, reported that he was wounded during the 1971 war over in the east. We enjoyed several talks about India and the Indian military. He gifted me with a Grenadier necktie when he went back home. I tried to contact him by email and letter several times; once I know he called me here in America but I was unable to take the call. Did get his message, ending in "God Bless You." I think it is appropriate to return the blessing: God Bless You Risky. You did your duty as a Soldier of India.
Sincerely, CWRaymond III, LTC, USA-Retired

SADAKHUSH

Country flag
May god give your soul peace in his kingdom and give strength to bear the loss of dedicated son of our Bharat Mata. I thank you for your ultimate service to the nation, I call BharatMata.

Adux

Country flag
Was surfing today - November 7, 2011, and ran across this link. Risky was the only allied student in the last workgroup (16 folks) for which I was the Academic Counselor/Evaluator at the US Army's Command and General Staff College, Ft. Leavenworth, Kansas in the 1980-81 course. He was a gifted speaker, reported that he was wounded during the 1971 war over in the east. We enjoyed several talks about India and the Indian military. He gifted me with a Grenadier necktie when he went back home. I tried to contact him by email and letter several times; once I know he called me here in America but I was unable to take the call. Did get his message, ending in "God Bless You." I think it is appropriate to return the blessing: God Bless You Risky. You did your duty as a Soldier of India.
Sincerely, CWRaymond III, LTC, USA-Retired
Those are kind words. You can meet another friend of Risky, Brigadier Ray at the Board here.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
The report (blog) at Post #1 is dated Monday, January 17, 2011

Gen Risky (or RIS Kahlon) was my instructor at the Defence Services Staff College. Wellington.

A loveable and a friendly person.

I still remember he pronounced the word 'coup de grace' during a lesson, and as he spoke the words, he twisted his mouth and that was accentuated because of his moustache and beard.

I burst into laughter.

He asked me why was I laughing.

I told him that his facial contortions were too funny (we could pull his leg since he was a good chap!)

He told me, "Ray, I was using French. How would you know that a Sardar knows French unless a Sardar made a deliberate effort and it showed?!" :rofl:

Last edited:

RedTiger18

Those are kind words. You can meet another friend of Risky, Brigadier Ray at the Board here.
It's been more than 30 years since Risky and I chatted. Whiile surfing yesterday, as I said I was, I somehow had sense that he was gone. Fact is that I did have an e-mail address for a number of years, though he was too busy to respond to any that I had sent. Then, some time ago, an e-mail bounced. Had not a clue as to why other than the address was no longer valid. So be it. May he rest in peace. And trust that his widow and any family at home are well provided for.
RedTiger18

PS: Thanks for your comment, Adux and the link to Ray. And sincere Professional Regards to you both

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Red Tiger

Thanks.

We had a common friend, if I can call my senior so!

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles