LoR for supply of 145 BAE M777 guns issued

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
LoR for supply of 145 BAE M777 guns issued

After multiple twists and turns, the Indian MoD has finally dispatched a letter of request (LoR) to the Pentagon for the supply of 145 BAE Systems M777 ultra-light howitzer (ULH) guns. The foreign military sales (FMS) deal is expected to be worth roughly $650-million. According to the original notification to the US Congress in 2010, the package also includes laser inertial artillery pointing systems (LINAPS), warranty, spare and repair parts, support and test equipment, publications and technical documentation, maintenance, personnel training and training equipment, the US Government and contractor representatives' technical assistance, engineering and logistics support services, and other related elements of logistics support.

The ULHs will be easily transportable by heavy-lift helicopter or transport aircraft—in fact the CH-47F Chinook which the IAF has selected for its heavy helicopter competition is capable of transporting an M777 as an underslung load—one of the many requirements put down by the Indian Army for its light gun requirement. The M777 will be deployable in the Northern and Eastern sectors. The deal carries a 30 per cent offsets requirement.
LoR for supply of 145 BAE M777 guns issued - SP's Land Forces

tharikiran

Country flag
Hi guys, i wanted to know something.
I have seen videos of M777 in operation and felt more people are required to operate it than our bofors gun.
I may be wrong.Enlighten me.Is the only advantage of M777 being ultra light weight ?

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
Hi guys, i wanted to know something.
I have seen videos of M777 in operation and felt more people are required to operate it than our bofors gun.
I may be wrong.Enlighten me.Is the only advantage of M777 being ultra light weight ?
Such a laborious task it is to fire few salvos, isn't it? But then we are not pros, it must be fitting well into some operational /tactical doctrine.

tharikiran

Country flag
I checked out some videos. M777 does not have any auxiliary power unit.Fact is, Bofors have been deployed at high altitude.It does require a 5 man crew.
Yes, it is sophisticated as it has a self loading system and uses hydraulics extensively making it easier for people operating it.

But it seems in spite of all this, the army favours the M777 because of it being light weight.The M777 can go any where, where the Indian army will fight.
It seems you can take this piece of artillery quicker and deploy it faster than Bofors.

kshkumsin

I checked out some videos. M777 does not have any auxiliary power unit.Fact is, Bofors have been deployed at high altitude.It does require a 5 man crew.
Yes, it is sophisticated as it has a self loading system and uses hydraulics extensively making it easier for people operating it.

But it seems in spite of all this, the army favours the M777 because of it being light weight.The M777 can go any where, where the Indian army will fight.
It seems you can take this piece of artillery quicker and deploy it faster than Bofors.
well st kinetics offered a similliar gun with same weight class plus an auxilliary power unit but still they rejected it:mad:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
It does not have automatic reloading system like FH-77 and others, So more men are needed for speedy reloading...

If i am not wrong it may need 8-10 men per gun almost same as 130mm M46 field gun in IA..

Hi guys, i wanted to know something.I have seen videos of M777 in operation and felt more people are required to operate it than our bofors gun.I may be wrong.Enlighten me.Is the only advantage of M777 being ultra light weight ?

Tronic

The M777 can go places the Bofors cannot.

Kunal, wiki says that it needs a minimum 5 men crew for operational usage.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
The M777 is a manpower intensive weapon to say the least. It isn't automated at all. It is a real throwback technologically. The only benefit is light weight.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
I think you are right, But again different Armies different philosophy..

There are 9 men in this pic..

The M777 can go places the Bofors cannot.

Kunal, wiki says that it needs a minimum 5 men crew for operational usage.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
I think you are right, But again different Armies different philosophy..

There are 9 men in this pic..
Double the crew = double the logistics. The gun is lighter, but you increase the logistics footprint even more needing 4 extra crew to man it.

tharikiran

Country flag
I think, Indian army is not going to use a 9 man crew to fire a gun.It has to be 5 or 6.They are gonna tow it or take it in the new globe master's and deploy it.
It seems the sole purpose of this light weight piece without any sophisticated technology is to be able to set up immediately and start sending large caliber rounds down range.

It's like first to arrive and first to shoot.It's like having a piece of artillery to fire which may seem having rudimentary technology(may not be rudimentary as along with glass and iron sights/mounts it also uses a digital fire control system called the Digital Gun Management System (DGMS) ) than not having any artillery piece in the area and that's a big advantage and the only advantage I see.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles