ISRO General News and Updates

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
So, Pragyan has has embroiderments on its wheels as per NSF.
Will leave marks of ISRO's logo and Indian National emblem on lunar surface. Bloody awesome!!
@aditya10r @Chatrapathi @S.A.T.A
If it is indeed this wheel which has been used, I wonder if there will be any traction for the vehicle to move forward..

Also we can’t assume that rover will Land on a dead flat surface...

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
If it is indeed this wheel which has been used, I wonder if there will be any traction for the vehicle to move forward..

Rover has two sets of 3-3 tires on each side with each set having a single fulcrum which forms a nice shocker. The emblem mark however may come on moonsand only.
Rover is heavy & speed too is very slow.

S.A.T.A

The rover is unlikely to be making steep inclines. It is supposed tread along at 1CM/sec and designed to overcome obstacles.

Vijyes

Rover has two sets of 3-3 tires on each side with each set having a single fulcrum which forms a nice shocker. The emblem mark however may come on moonsand only.
Rover is heavy & speed too is very slow.
Can you tell me why is the wheel made of metal rather than rubber? How does it get traction in the moon, especially since gravity there is quite low?

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Can you tell me why is the wheel made of metal rather than rubber?
Usual rubber tyres would be more prone to damage to rough terrain of Moon. Moreover, they are heavier. For the same, initial Moon rovers in space race had metal wheels.

The ones used by NASA today have special fibres and are lighter to deal with terrain.
For us, we have used new lighter alloys entirely in Orbiter, lander & rover and so in wheels. Metallic tyres are rigid and will not be deformed and halt synergy in rover acceleration.
How does it get traction in the moon, especially since gravity there is quite low?
Yes, it is a problem. The top speed of rover would be 1cm/sec.. If would have used rubber instead, it wouldn't have moved at all.

The speed, riskiest part will be when Pragyaan drives out of Vikram. It will have to go through a slant.

Cutting Edge 2

Space Power
Last night was worst.

Chandrayan 2 cancelled

People like us spent good money for this launch. Hotel bookings, Air travel, cabs, etc. Only for disappointment at last moment. Very bad behavior by CISF. Told everyone to go back rudely. There where school kids who came to launch site in middle of the night they were too disappointed. Everyone I saw at launch site was visibly angry. Almost everyone was cursing at ISRO.

Now who is gonna reimburse our expenses?

Typical sarkari babu behavior by ISRO. :mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2:

Deathstar

Country flag
Last night was worst.

Chandrayan 2 cancelled

People like us spent good money for this launch. Hotel bookings, Air travel, cabs, etc. Only for disappointment at last moment. Very bad behavior by CISF. Told everyone to go back rudely. There where school kids who came to launch site in middle of the night they were too disappointed. Everyone I saw at launch site was visibly angry. Almost everyone was cursing at ISRO.

Did ISRO promised u some sort of insurance??no , it was voluntary right

vampyrbladez

Country flag
Last night was worst.

Chandrayan 2 cancelled

Would you rather the rocket malfunction during launch? It could cause an international embarrassment for ISRO and India.

happylion

Country flag
Wow. People who have no c9ncept of a rocket launch countdown are talking nonsense gere. The very need for a countdown is a series of systems check with stopping if countdin if an error is detected. Just last year ULA and SpaceX both had to abort launches suring the countdown. This is not some Diwali rocket but a system with 1000's of subsystms. Would you have been happty if tge rocket exploded on the pad or malfunctioned after launch ? You come ro watch at ypur own risk. No launch is guaranteed.

indiatester

Country flag
Last night was worst.

Chandrayan 2 cancelled

You should be happy that your presence there avoided a failure in time.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Last night was worst.

Chandrayan 2 cancelled

That’s fundamentally because our education system does not teach how to cope with failures, there over emphasis on success.

But as a citizen to can tweet to amit shah and DG CISF, and give constructive Criticism.

Holy Triad

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Usual rubber tyres would be more prone to damage to rough terrain of Moon. Moreover, they are heavier. For the same, initial Moon rovers in space race had metal wheels.

The ones used by NASA today have special fibres and are lighter to deal with terrain.
For us, we have used new lighter alloys entirely in Orbiter, lander & rover and so in wheels. Metallic tyres are rigid and will not be deformed and halt synergy in rover acceleration.

Yes, it is a problem. The top speed of rover would be 1cm/sec.. If would have used rubber instead, it wouldn't have moved at all.

The speed, riskiest part will be when Pragyaan drives out of Vikram. It will have to go through a slant.
One more reason is uv radiation will degrade the polymers over time.

Nasa used .5mm thick aluminium wheels on curiosity mars rovers,which got damaged over time,so they are thinking of replace them with memory alloys(uses bird cage like structures).
For more info,watch this below video

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
One more reason is uv radiation will degrade the polymers over time.

Nasa used .5mm thick aluminium wheels on curiosity mars rovers,which got damaged over time,so they are thinking of replace them with memory alloys(uses bird cage like structures).
For more info,watch this below video

I think the one they used during Apollo missions were prone to damage too. They weren't damaged however, NASA realized it later.

Compersion

Country flag
i understand isro has increased the number of launches and it will be multiples per month coming up - but with the advancements being seen and larger lift off capaibiites, it would suggest such can be further increased and also more capacity and capabilities enhanced. might be useful to have another (perhaps PSU, private actor) to launch a pslv type launch vehicle. not only for contingency basis but also for other reasons (jobs, r&d, efficiencies, etc, etc, etc)

would be better to have more multiple projects like chandrayaan 2 and each launched nearby to one another. we are working it seems too singly and one solo (large) launch at a time. why only moon? i understand there is plan for sun and some other missions. bigger and bolder? true there is the manned space mission. how about even bolder like to Jupiter, Saturn, and other planets - further away - with HD and also long-distance communication at hand. even have satellites around planets to communicate and relay data to ISRO from far away. dual to tri usage of technology and ability. brain drain to gain

next please project multiple heavy launches to specific destinations within 6 months. we are still demonstrating? we need to now show we can do many and much more - the number in terms of launches and lift off capacity and capability. further and more advanced. I was reading now we need to wait 2 months for chandrayaan-2. not a problem. next time we ought to have another (many) GSLV-III waiting in the wings and near roll out. reload and fire.

Chinmoy

Country flag
Can you tell me why is the wheel made of metal rather than rubber? How does it get traction in the moon, especially since gravity there is quite low?
Although @Indx TechStyle and @Holy Triad already mentioned it. But there is one more critical aspect of not using rubber wheels on rovers. Traction would be the last of the worry in mind of designers while making the wheels.

A rubber wheel would have to face the extreme temperature the moment it is released. In case of moon it would be minus 247C at south pole where we intended to land. At this temperature the rubber would turn into as brittle as glass and break the moment it rolls. Weight penalty is another factor.

Cutting Edge 2

Space Power
Did ISRO promised u some sort of insurance??no , it was voluntary right
You have no idea how difficult it was for us. Being kicked out in the middle of the night and that too without any explanations. I literally wasted my night couldn't sleep properly next morning. I even convinced my friends too.

Wow. People who have no c9ncept of a rocket launch countdown are talking nonsense gere. The very need for a countdown is a series of systems check with stopping if countdin if an error is detected. Just last year ULA and SpaceX both had to abort launches suring the countdown. This is not some Diwali rocket but a system with 1000's of subsystms. Would you have been happty if tge rocket exploded on the pad or malfunctioned after launch ? You come ro watch at ypur own risk. No launch is guaranteed.
They are selling tickets so they must give guarantees. Give public their money back and also extra money for the trouble we endured.

You should be happy that your presence there avoided a failure in time.
Only failure I saw was complete lack of quality control from ISRO. They didn't bother to check the problem before assembly. Complete sarkari babu experience. If this had happened in elsewhere, the person responsible would've been fired on the spot. Here in India nothing has and nothing will happen. :frusty:

At this point I am very much disappointed in ISRO. A mission delayed by years and now this?!!! How pathetic.:mad2: They should launch Chandrayaan 2 onboard Ariane 5 and end this national humiliation. If this is the situation of a simple rover mission what can we expect for human mission.

If Gov. was any serious they would force a written apology from K. Sivan publicly and fire him on the spot. Otherwise people's trust will erode from ISRO too.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles