• The InA is doing better.

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • All of them doing equally well.

Votes: 13 8.0%

• Total voters

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
The IAF is doing the best technologically. MMRCA contenders are the best available on the market and better than what many of their own nations fly now. Mirage-2000 upgrades are going to give IAF a ground attack capability they have never had as well as integrating Brahmos on the MKI. The Navy is doing alright but technologically it faces many hurdles and delays. IAF acquisition is going more smoothly. IA is in a pretty sorry state acquisition wise.

lodaxstax

The IAF is doing the best technologically. MMRCA contenders are the best available on the market and better than what many of their own nations fly now. Mirage-2000 upgrades are going to give IAF a ground attack capability they have never had as well as integrating Brahmos on the MKI. The Navy is doing alright but technologically it faces many hurdles and delays. IAF acquisition is going more smoothly. IA is in a pretty sorry state acquisition wise.
I think the pole's focus is more on the indiigenisation of weaponry for respective arms of the military and this is where Navy scores heavily. The success with which Navy is investing in local weapons and systems really makes it stand apart amongst the three arms that too considering that it is at the receiving end of the budget allocation as compared to IA and IAF.

Just compare IAF's and IN's approach to LCA Tejas. While Navy has allocated Rs 900 cr for the naval LCA and is taking keen interest in its development, IAF keeps on raising the stakes thus delaying the project. May be they too need to be 'more' supportive for indigenous effort.

Hence my vote for the Navy.

StealthSniper

If we are looking from a purely indigenization point of view, the Navy wins hands down. They have beaten the odds and have made it a priority (even if it takes alot of time and money) to make designs and systems indigenously and it's paying off big. Second in line is the IAF, they have made efforts to make things indigenously like LCA, but they are wasting time and not taking a stand on critical things like MMRCA, LCA and MCA (squadron numbers prove this). They can maybe be as successful as the Navy if they made it a priority to get things done with a firm timeline and do whatever it takes to make everything as indigenous as possible.

And in last place is the Army. For me it's very, very clear that the Army is the most against indigenization in the armed forces. The Arjun is a good tank but their is so much political crap around it they might as well scrap it and do something else. I also noticed that they have bids on everything, even things that I thought they for sure could have built in house. I don't know if it has to do with bribery or corruption, but they will never be successful in the future unless their is more focus on indigenization and the GOI stops screwing around and get serious on procurement and what DRDO is up to.

On the original topic, a better weapon system (to me) is a system that was done on time, fairly advanced, built indigenously, built for the right price and is as good or better than competitor systems. And to me the Indian Navy has produced and commissioned more high technology in house weapon systems than either the IAF or the IA.

Last edited:
Country flag
Indian navy also has an advanced UAV program both Indigenous and procurement from foreign sources.

BunBunCake

Navy is definitely doing better...... we have INDIGENOUS developments.

- Arihant
- Aircraft Carrier
- Project 17
- Project 17B
etc...

and getting advanced equipment:
- Scorpene (thought won't be here till 2014)
- Possibly F-35
- Akula

IAF on the other hand.... lagging back, I personally don't trust the capability of the IAF. Except for it's Sukhoi.
Jagaur, Mig-21, Mig-27...... I consider obsolete :D

- MMRCA will take another 6 years at least till induction
- MCA is still in design phase
- FGFA design also

Only achievement this decade is our A-50 Phalcon's ^.^ To scare Pakistan.

And the army...... I remember an interview from Gen. Kapoor saying 70 some % of our tanks are night blind ;_;.

(just an abstract posted :D of course lots more examples)

Last edited:

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
However another point which, is OT somewhat, is that the Indian Navy isn't besieged by the personnel issues that seem to be plaguing the Army and the Airforce.

PS: I haven't read any news on Navy's personnel issues hence this assumption.If somebody can shed light to the contrary or in support ?

StealthSniper

However another point which, is OT somewhat, is that the Indian Navy isn't besieged by the personnel issues that seem to be plaguing the Army and the Airforce.

PS: I haven't read any news on Navy's personnel issues hence this assumption.If somebody can shed light to the contrary or in support ?

Singh, when it comes to personnel issues, I have only heard about more new recruits heading over to the Navy instead of the IA or IAF. The IAF and the IA is alot bigger than the Navy so their maybe is a shortage, but at the end of the day I think the IA and IAF have more of a corruption, planning issue more than a personnel issue. They need to set guidelines and have goals for certain things, they need to be more accountable.

If the Navy is introducing more high end modern in house warships, than I would expect the Army to have a fully functional in house howitzer and equipment and the Airforce have at least 40 squadrons of high end indigenous and imported aircraft. I find it very worrying that the most important part of the armed forces (the Army and Airforce) are the most behind in India. We have the money and the talent, WHAT ARE WE DOING WRONG?

notinlove

i also think that the navy takes better care of their personnel , there is a kid i personally know of who went for the training , met with an accident and was partially disabled , he is getting a reasonable pension amount , and the pension amount that the army is offering to its veterans that i read in the news is just despicable.

gogbot

i also think that the navy takes better care of their personnel , there is a kid i personally know of who went for the training , met with an accident and was partially disabled , he is getting a reasonable pension amount , and the pension amount that the army is offering to its veterans that i read in the news is just despicable.
The pension issue is real problem.

But Where Does India get the Money to raise the pension 6x or 10x .

To put it in context the pension is already above the average national income level.

I am not trying to say the Pensions increase is not necessary , but understand the context with which this situation is in.

I am hopeful the pension will be raised at least 2x in next 5 years , given economic growth trends.

anoop_mig25

Country flag
what is the reason that indian navy is FAR ahead THEN IAF and IA in INDIGENOUSNESS . i have read in newspaper that navy engineers closely work with DRDO and other institutes that are developing products but same cannot be said about IAF OR IA. Am i right

Last edited:

lodaxstax

what is the reason that indian navy is FAR ahead THEN IAF and IA in INDIGENOUSNESS . i have read in newspaper that navy engineers closely work with DRDO and other institutes that are developing products but same cannot be said about IAF OR IA. Am i right
according to reports its the navy engineers who worked on the stealthy Shivalik class frigates. so yes you are right.

Agantrope

Navy may not get the latest cutting technologies, but the OEM is Indian Cos so there will no Tech transfer problem and in meantime the scope of development will be very high, so that they can customise the systems and the upgrading costs also comes down.

Recently BHEL also entered the Defense sector to manufacture Mini gun (citation needed) for the patrol boats.

p2prada

Army:
The Army is doing the best as of now. Cool new weapons and technology for infantry, armour as well as SF forces, new transport planes, EW equipment, an awesome new integrated air defence system, a super awesome EW capability and a dedicated comm satellite constellation using the INSAT series. Only disadvantages are infantry equipment and artillery. It still comes first.

Navy:
The navy inductions are just a lot of hype because they are indigenous. But their ships are not the best in the IOR. The Delhi class of destroyers were good, but not anymore. Hopefully, the Kolkata class is not delayed. The new frigates from Russia are really good along with our home made ones. That's about it. Our Submarine fleet su*ks. Navy is always slow to build. But it is the toughest to modernize among the three and it is headed in the right direction. So, in 3 or 4 years the IN will be a completely different force from today. Only has a capable blue water capability in the Indian Ocean. So, it gets the second position.

Air Force:
Except for the Su-30MKIs there is nothing going on in the AF that is worth calling it among the best in the world. The Migs, Mirages and Jaguars are just pulling through, they are not modern enough and not going to be for a few more years. The Jags, Mig-21Bisons and Mig-27s are marginally upgraded and don't pose a radical capability boost. As long as they fly they will do well. AFNET program is still not ready yet and the ODLs are yet to be tested. Many things in the network centric operations are still not ready yet along with their dedicated satellite, the LCA is quite late and the MRCA saga is a never ending story about how Romeo met Juliet but they never frig*ng die. Another force to be reckoned with only after 2012. Until then we are just going to be a "little" better than our adversaries. 2020 is when the IAF will be "awesome" and not before.

SHASH2K2

when it comes to professionalism Indian navy is the best and has least corrupt officers . You will also rarely hear about any kickbacks for any deals associated with the navy.Navy has encouraged indigenisation of most of their projects. Be it advance frigates, submarines or AC . Overall Navy have very good present and future except for submarine fleet . But you cannot blame navy alone. GOI also has to take some blame for that.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
when it comes to professionalism Indian navy is the best and has least corrupt officers . You will also rarely hear about any kickbacks for any deals associated with the navy.
I can recall four Navy scandals just off the top of my head... Barak, Gorshkov, Norwegian and US kickbacks. If that is less corrupt than the other services, then they are all too corrupt.

SHASH2K2

I can recall four Navy scandals just off the top of my head... Barak, Gorshkov, Norwegian and US kickbacks. If that is less corrupt than the other services, then they are all too corrupt.
Gorshkov deal its not entirely Navy fault. there are some other details that is not in public domain. and remaining 3 you mentioned are very small and are very minor when compared to other branches of armed forces. Navy is the branch which puts maximum stress on Made In India . They are willing to invest and wait for infrastructure to develop locally .

icecoolben

Indian navy- a global force

Sudden inflow of huge money causes corruption, the navy spends periodically. The one project they got their hands burnt was the HDW submarine fiasco. The result is for all to see. While they hurried they made wrong decisions like goskov. So they would rather work with the builder and get exactly what they want than anything get even and buy fancy stuff like their piers. The navy has 38 ships in construction, a Good number of projects in the pipeline and a new age in the horizon. Presently it plans to evolve into a super carrier force with worldwide reach and an impeccable fortress of India's second strike capability. Since India would remain by its regional confines in the foreseeable, the army and air-force would stabilize in size and capability, but the navy which still has the appetite for a six carrier for is not going to stop and grow well into the later part of 21st century. The foundation is strong and in time it would eclipse the other two forces, which I would say at 2040.

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
Indian navy has better foresight than IAF and IA.If HAL would 've been making arircraft for IN than IAF it would have been flying in navy colours by now.

SHASH2K2

Indian navy has better foresight than IAF and IA.If HAL would 've been making arircraft for IN than IAF it would have been flying in navy colours by now.
Most important reason for better Future of Indian Navy is increasing economic power of India . More strong and prosperous we become we need to police more area in order to protect our economic interest and Navy expansion comes into picture. IN future there is limited possibility of increase in number for Army and Airforce but for navy sky is the limit. Till now they were getting least share of budget among 3 forces but their share is about to increase .

p2prada

The corruption is not directly by the Army, Navy or Air force. It is because of middlemen involved in the deal.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles