INS Sindhurakshak catches fire at naval dockyard in Mumbai

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twinblade

Country flag
Navy submarine INS Sindhurakshak catches fire at naval dockyard in Mumbai
IANS | Aug 14, 2013, 05.01 AM IST

MUMBAI: A huge explosion accompanied by a fire rocked an Indian Navy submarine docked at the high security naval dockyard early on Wednesday, officials said.

The blast followed by a fire occurred shortly after midnight on the INS Sindhurakshak submarine.

Many sailors on board the submarine reportedly jumped off to safety.

"However, there is likelihood of some personnel being trapped inside. The details are being ascertained," an official defence ministry statement issued at 3.15am said.

The details of other casualty figures were not immediately available though some injured sailors have been rushed to naval hospital INHS Ashvini in Colaba.

The cause of the explosion and blaze, as well as the extent of damage to the submarine and naval properties, is still not known.

At least 16 fire tenders of Mumbai Fire Brigade and Mumbai Port Trust were rushed to assist the naval fire brigade to douse the conflagration, the smoke emanating from which could be seen in many parts of south Mumbai.

A fire brigade official said that around 3am, the blaze had been brought under control and prevented from spreading to other vessels docked in the vicinity.

The blast was first heard ashore by deputy chief fire office PS Rahandale who was on leave and attending a private engagement near the Gateway of India promenade. He immediately alerted the fire brigade and other emergency services.
Navy submarine INS Sindhurakshak catches fire at naval dockyard in Mumbai - The Times of India

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
May be some torpedo gone wrong while loading.

Two Submarines damaged, Sindhu Rakshak & Sindu Rattna.

Sindhu rakshak was recently upgraded,came back from Russia.

Last edited:

t_co

Maybe RAW is testing out its TTPs for sabotaging the Chinese Navy when (not if) PLAN subs start basing out of Trincomalee.
@SamwiseTheBrave :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

bose

Country flag
Maybe RAW is testing out its TTPs for sabotaging the Chinese Navy when (not if) PLAN subs start basing out of Trincomalee.
Chinese Subs are afraid to go out of their ports they are too noisy and easily detectable... they prefer to stay 50 Kms within their shoreline...

t_co

Chinese Subs are afraid to go out of their ports they are too noisy and easily detectable... they prefer to stay 50 Kms within their shoreline...
If so, how do you explain INS claims that it has detected Chinese submarines in the IOR using sonar arrays based on the Andaman Islands?

bose

Country flag
If so, how do you explain INS claims that it has detected Chinese submarines in the IOR using sonar arrays based on the Andaman Islands?
As I said Chinese make worst Subs and are too noisy... when ever they try to venture gets detected...

We see once in a while Chineese Subs going out on international waters for some trainings or excercise... but prefer to stay on shore...

Stick to the thread title or get reported...

t_co

As I said Chinese make worst Subs and are too noisy... when ever they try to venture gets detected...

We see once in a while Chineese Subs going out on international waters for some trainings or excercise... but prefer to stay on shore...

Stick to the thread title or get reported...
Alright, I'll stick to the thread title.

A brief history of the INS Sindhurakshak:

INS Sindhurakshak (S63) is a Sindhughosh-class diesel-electric submarine of the Indian Navy.[1] On 4 June 2010 the Indian Defence Ministry and Zvezdochka shipyard signed a direct contract to the upgrade programme, worth $80 million and including a complete overhaul including the submarine's hull structures.

In August 2010, INS Sindhurakshak arrived at Zvezdochka shipyard in Russia, for an overhaul and upgrade. The submarine was modernized repaired, and retrofitted in Russia under Project 08773 in Zvezdochka shipyard and the sea trials started in October 2012. The upgrades included improved electronic warfare systems, control systems and integrated weapon control system. This modernization enables incorporation of new Russian missile system Club-S with 200-km cruise missile range, Indian sonar USHUS and radio communication systems CCS-MK.[2]

A fire broke out aboard INS Sindhurakshak while she was in Visakhapatnam in February 2010. One sailor was killed and two others injured. Navy officials reported that the fire had been caused by an explosion in the submarine's battery compartment.[3]

It was reported on 14 August 2013 that an explosion had taken place while the submarine was docked at Mumbai. The blast, followed by a fire, occurred shortly after midnight. Due to damage from the explosion, the submarine became submerged at her berth with only a portion visible above the surface. Many sailors on board the submarine reportedly jumped off to safety. Navy divers were also brought in as there was a possibility that 18 personnel were trapped inside. According to the official defence ministry statement issued at 3.15 am, further details were being ascertained.[4][5][6]
Another relevant fact:

Price per unit is US$200–250 million (China paid approx. US$1.5-2 billion for 8 Project 636 Kilo class submarines)
Taken in total, the potential losses from this accident are 280-330mm, not including any incidental equipment or compensation offered for the deaths of the men. Yet another blow for the meager INS budget.

trackwhack

Stay off this thread you ----ing Chinese troll. I guess you rejoice when sailors lose their lives in your country too. Can some admin put these trolls away please.
@Kunal Biswas

t_co

Stay off this thread you ----ing Chinese troll. I guess you rejoice when sailors lose their lives in your country too. Can some admin put these trolls away please.
@Kunal Biswas
I'm not rejoicing. I feel bad for the families of these brave men. I wonder what the INS will offer them as compensation.

bose

Country flag
I'm not rejoicing. I feel bad for the families of these brave men. I wonder what the INS will offer them as compensation.

@Ray @Singh @Kunal Biswas, please look into the trolling by Chineese parasites, they are into spoiling most the the treads in the forum nowdays...

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
Sad incident! I hope all the jawans come out safely.

trackwhack

Is there any hope for the 18 missing soldiers? Any communication established?

Dinesh_Kumar

Dear t_co, from your post, I remember 2 things. When bad news strikes or bad things happen, people fell bad and let down. Its ok. More importantly, people like us Indians should move on and get back to shape quickly. Here's what we need to do:

> Similar incident with 2 x IL-38 crash had taken place, replaced by 2 second hand planes from Russia. Same way, we should lease / buy 2nd Hand Kilos from Russia for attrition replacements, and also to look into depleting sub numbers in the short term. The modernization programme can continue without any stoppages, please, with help from Russian shipyard, only because their delivery is better than ours at the moment. Indian shipyards also must be involved, so we gain tech know-how. Balance is required.

> INS Sindughosh is at bottom of dock with 18 sailors trapped inside. This is a scenario we will encounter often. Preparation in terms of equipment and personnel can certainly be improved. I would have been happy to hear news like, "trapped sailors rescued quickly by Naval Divers." What must be done to make sure this type of scenario can be achieved ? This should ideally be done by Indian Navy personnel, who can do it, already having many achievements to their credit.

> Submarine handling procedures for loading / unloading armaments, availability of safety equipment nearby, etc. is very basic in these situations, any organization undergoing even commonly available ISO certification must have clear procedures / fire escape plan / equipment / etc. Navy to please re-look as to causes which created this situation, and potential effects of some of the actions on the ground. It is serious, Submarine lost when fleet is already depleted.

> Sabotage of submarines is cheapest way for an enemy to guarantee victory without fighting. A successful sabotage is the result of many factors, which have to be looked into, deeply.

t_co, you have brought clarity to my thinking, for which I have to thank you. I am indeed grateful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles