Indo-US jet trainer - the Indus moment

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
BTW, is there an air force that uses a delta winged jet trainer?
Not that i can think off but all these trainers where designed in the 70s or 80s and Delta wing seems to have caught on more so in this century than the last. You have more delta winged models coming out in the world now with the EF,Rafael, J-10, j-20, Tejas etc., Also i guess it would be cheaper and unnecessary to have an complex airfoil like an Delta wing on a trainer.

JAISWAL

but i think delta wing trainer can really help more then conventional trainers with their high wing loading and ability to perform complex manuvers more efficiently.
They will be best to introduce rookies to complex nature requried to fly mordern ACs and those computer added FBW.
These can also be prity usefull in introducing them to newcence of variable geometry planes or wing shape plane as they are seriously added by FBW and required pilots to have a exelent and clean ability to overcom the draw backes in case of computeries FBW failure.

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
I think this is more about American firms establishing low cost manufacturing bases in India thereby becoming more competitive in the world market while ostensibly developing a low cost trainer aircraft.

Not that the above would be bad for Indian interests in any way!

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
No need for this trainer.

We have ordered 100+ hawk for this role.
from what i understood , the project was development of an aircraft , not outright purchase ....whay would a development cooperastion with the worlds most advanced country be negative for india ? i dont think the usa would be allowed to stray away fro the project to do spying and any indian sent to the laboratories to the usa would benefit from the exposure ?

it could be a platform from which greater things could develop ?

sant

We have to collaborate where there is advantage , not thrust ed on us

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Wow delta winged aircraft for training...that is really hard. A delta winged trainer is even hard to imagine even as a LIFT. One must remember the basics of a trainer...it must be a bit stable atleast in all altitudes. Delta wing is one of the most unstable designs ever made and it can't be used in a trainer aircraft.....and LCA twin seater is far more costlier than the T 38 used now.

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
We have to collaborate where there is advantage , not thrust ed on us
In case of aircraft development, ANY collaboration with USA will be beneficial to the Indian industries. The US technologies are 30-40 years ahead of India's if not more. At this point, India should look to get as much collaboration and industry setup in India as possible.
As for "thrusted" upon us, as far as I know it is GoI which started this requirement process - not the USA.

sant

It should not be indian product at american prices. Generally when we are collaborating with advanced countries , price will escalate .

sathya

Country flag
i think its not only the trainer we can get their ideas, development cycle,production set up, future business..

after all US will buy more.... they ll constantly upgrade,also we can learn from their training regimen..

i would like to see the 1 billon trainer deal scrapped, buy second hand or surplus from US as interim then co develop faster.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
i think its not only the trainer we can get their ideas, development cycle,production set up, future business..

after all US will buy more.... they ll constantly upgrade,also we can learn from their training regimen..

i would like to see the 1 billon trainer deal scrapped, buy second hand or surplus from US as interim then co develop faster.
US jet trainers are from the 60s. It wouldn't do much service to the IAF to buy these grannies... Better go straight and co-develope with them.

sathya

Country flag
^^^ i thought US is offering beechcraft.. so i believed US would be having beechcraft in their service .... also the proposed co development will be more advanced..
India is badly in need of trainer.. cant wait till new one is developed.

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
It should not be indian product at american prices. Generally when we are collaborating with advanced countries , price will escalate .
I think India should buy ~100 Jet trainers from the USA and then co-develop another as a JV with the same supplier. The result would be an american product with Indian price - I am pretty sure it would outsell every other jet trainer out in the market.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
I think India should buy ~100 Jet trainers from the USA and then co-develop another as a JV with the same supplier. The result would be an american product with Indian price - I am pretty sure it would outsell every other jet trainer out in the market.
At present there is no jet trainer that the IAF can buy from the Americans. All current US jet trainers are 60s vintage and are already aged. The US is still mulling of developing their own jet trainers or buying from existing ones developed by foreign companies.

lord

Even the US is using south korean t50..

now ajai shukla.. i think he is being given money by american firms to post such nonsense.. before this he put up ''scrap mmrca buy f35''..

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Even the US is using south korean t50..

now ajai shukla.. i think he is being given money by american firms to post such nonsense.. before this he put up ''scrap mmrca buy f35''..
Where did you get this info? As far as I know the US has not yet ordered new gen of jet trainers.

lord

Where did you get this info? As far as I know the US has not yet ordered new gen of jet trainers.
My bad.. lockheed martin is just a trade partner for marketing.. and they have only secured a version of t50 not purchased it..

JattSikh

we need better trainers for our AF and we should go to 5 stage training process better than 3 stage i also like the idea of Israeli fighter pilot instructors teaching at our fighter pilot schools :D

sathya

Country flag
we need better trainers for our AF and we should go to 5 stage training process better than 3 stage i also like the idea of Israeli fighter pilot instructors teaching at our fighter pilot schools :D

yep we can give air space and facilities to train even their pilots in india....
but i guess they ll be training in US.

lord

5 stage training appears complex and time consuming.. better let them learn through experience..

the idea of israeli pilots training new recruits is good.. israeli pilots are considered to be among the best in world..
# they distroyed almost whole arab airforce in little time and for little loss of their own
# they dont participate in exercises with US for the fear that their tactics may "leak" to their enemy states..

Global Defence

New threads

Articles