Indian Navy Developments & Discussions

Advaidhya Tiwari

INS Vishal EMALS. US working with India for design.

F 18 SH will have no strings attached. I just worry about spares in wartime!
N-Tejas MK2 appears to be more reasonable. The timeline for Vishal is 2027 and by then NMWF must be ready.

Every USA weapons have strings attached and the items are highly guarded from technology leaks. There are possibilities of kill switches too. Buying F18 will be highly foolish. If India needs its own weapons, then it should build it on its own, not import weapons. It makes very little sense to depend on USA for F18. Spare parts and maintenance are very critical and such important assets can't be just bought like other political deals for Apache, Seahawks etc.

2.6$ Billion for just 24 helicopters?
That's 108$ million for each helicopter that's more costly than the fighter jet.

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk
The helicopters are bought for bridging trade surplus with USA under pressure from Trump. This is a deal which was not worth its price but for the pressure. There are many options much better and cheaper than this helicopter deal.

binayak95

Country flag
Can you shed some light to why these were bought, what req they were meeting for IN?

Meanwhile ...

These are ASW and ASuW helos for use from our frigates, destroyers and Kamorta class corvettes (and any carriers/LPDs/LHDs/LST(L)s that we might operate)

Primary role is, to seek out and destroy enemy subs with their dunking sonar and torpedoes

Why were these bought - amongst the best ASW helos in the world - our own fleet has half a dozen old Seaking Mk42Bs (not to mention obsolescent) and Kamov 28s that are similarily antique.

aarav

जय परशुराम‍।
Country flag
India And France To Hold Their Largest Naval Exercise ‘VARUNA’ Powered By Aircraft Carriers, Jets And Destroyers

by Jayant Mundhra Apr 18 2019, 12:01 pm,

Indian Navy’s aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya

Elevating their military ties, India and France are all set to hold their largest ever naval exercise earlier next month (May 2019), reports Times of India.

The said exercise is expected to involve aircraft carriers, destroyer ships, submarines and also fighter planes, thus making it a mega event to happen in the history of relationship between the two nations.

The conduct of Varuna exercise, and the special impetus on taking this Navy-to-Navy cooperative engagement forward, was reiterated in the Joint Statement made by the Prime Minister of India and the President of France, on the 10th of March 2018.The two countries will be deploying their aircraft carriers INS Vikramaditya and FNS Charles de gaulle with their Mig-29K and Rafale-M naval fighter jets. The exercise has been christened 'Varuna' and will take place off Goa and Karwar from 1 May 2019.

The Indian participation will also include the destroyer INS Mumbai, frigate INS Trikand with their integral helicopters, IN submarine Kalvari, P8-I aircrafts and Dornier Maritime Patrol aircraft.

This comes after the successful operationalisation of the logistics support agreement between India and France under which Indian warships can access the French bases like Reunion Islands and in Djibouti.

Under the same pact, French anti-aircraft destroyer FNS Cassard had docked at the Mumbai naval port in January 2019. This was second such logistics support agreement signed by India after the one signed by it with United States (US) in 2016

porky_kicker

Country flag
Inflatable life rafts. Kya kahaan kheech rahe ho bhaiya.
If you say so ( but I don't think so )
I have never seen a inflatable life rafts in my life , so no idea

I thought inflatable life rafts looked like these ( white cylindrical containers lined up on the side of the ship )

INS-Sahyadri-Inquirer-Global-Nation.jpg

These are visible on all Indian naval ships distributed all over the hull of the ships.

Last edited:

binayak95

Country flag
If you say so ( but I don't think so )
I have never seen a inflatable life rafts in my life , so no idea

I thought inflatable life rafts looked like these ( white cylindrical containers lined up on the side of the ship )

View attachment 34230

These are visible on all Indian naval ships distributed all over the hull of the ships.
These are indeed life saving rafts. But those are as well ( I think , 85% pakka) Will ask.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles