Indian Army Artillery

ArgonPrime

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
I think you have missed the BUS here.
I didn't miss shit, rest assured.
From 2013 till 2019, around dozen tests of guided Pinaka had taken place and that too successfully.
With the IMI supplied TCS guidance modules!!But since the banning of IMI, the project has fissled out.It's dead in the water now and hence no new test firing or any news regarding this.It's gone, better forget about it.
But no new order have been placed for the same till now.
Because the DRDO failed, plain and simple!!
Feasibility study of guided Arty shell goes back to 2008 and in 2013 DRDO started working on it. As of 2018 DRDO invited parties to work on the tech with ToT ready to be given to eligible firms.
Doesn't mean shit since they failed to develop one such kit for the Pinaka rockets, so no way they can do the same for an 1555 mm arty shell.
For you kind information, Kalyani too partnered with Elbit on the same project for Mortar shells. But till now, there kitty is devoid of any order too.
Because nothing came of it!!Wake me up when some tangible development takes place.

Shashank Nayak

Country flag
With the IMI supplied TCS guidance modules!!But since the banning of IMI, the project has fissled out.It's dead in the water now and hence no new test firing or any news regarding this.It's gone, better forget about it.
Pinaka- 2 was revived again by involving MBDA for the guidance kit, and was test fired in 2018.

ArgonPrime

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Pinaka- 2 was revived again by involving MBDA for the guidance kit, and was test fired in 2018.
And that's the point I've been trying to raise here and which everyone seems to be failing to wrap their heads around!!The point being that the guidance kit had to be imported (doesn't matter from whom), that they couldn't design it on their own.And keep in mind that designing the same for a tube artillery round is near infinitely more complex an endeavor.Therefore, I for one, fail to get their reason for so much confidence in them.

In my opinion, this notion that DRDO can come up with an Excalibur equivalent within a reasonable time-frame does not appear to be grounded on reality nor it stems from any kind of analytical thinking or common logical reasoning but rather out of a misplaced sense of pride and fanboyish over optimism.They just 'believe' that DRDO, somehow, can miraculously pull it off within a few years when they couldn't do the same for a rocket and it took Brits and Americans, with all their experience and resources, almost a couple of decades to master the technology.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

2017 news..

====

The new and improved PINAKA system comes with a guidance, navigation and control kit developed by DRDO’s Research Centre Imarat (RCI). The earlier PINAKA system was unguided and the newer rocket is expected to replace Russian SMERCH rockets.
Source : http://forceindia.net/guided-pinaka-successfully-test-fired/

Lurk and read before posting ..

I didn't miss shit, rest assured.

And that's the point I've been trying to raise here and which everyone seems to be failing to wrap their heads around!!The point being that the guidance kit had to be imported (doesn't matter from whom), that they couldn't design it on their own.And keep in mind that designing the same for a tube artillery round is near infinitely more complex an endeavor.Therefore, I for one, fail to get their reason for so much confidence in them.

In my opinion, this notion that DRDO can come up with an Excalibur equivalent within a reasonable time-frame does not appear to be grounded on reality nor it stems from any kind of analytical thinking or common logical reasoning but rather out of a misplaced sense of pride and fanboyish over optimism.They just 'believe' that DRDO, somehow, can miraculously pull it off within a few years when they couldn't do the same for a rocket and it took Brits and Americans, with all their experience and resources, almost a couple of decades to master the technology.

ArgonPrime

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag

2017 news..

==================================

Lurk and read before posting ..
Yeah, do keep believing all that, but rest assured, nothing will come of it.The guidance mechanism was as much indigenous as is the IIR seeker of Nag ATGM, lolzz!!The whole system was brought from IMI with practically no contribution by DRDO, but now the whole deal is pretty much dead in the water.You just wait and watch.In the end, these announcements gonna be all we will have, but no guided Pinaka, forget about any Excalibur alternatives, not anytime soon at least.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
IMI kit was tested back in 2005-6 ..

Its a old news, Indian government cannot lie to its own people ..

All the scientific research are government property and their is audit, we are no banana republic ..

Lets not make this an embarrassing debate, we have international viewers also.

Yeah, do keep believing all that, but rest assured, nothing will come of it.The guidance mechanism wasn't of Indian origin at all!!It was from IMI, but now the whole deal is pretty much dead in the water.You just wait and watch, sir.

Longewala

Country flag
Yeah, do keep believing all that, but rest assured, nothing will come of it.The guidance mechanism was as much indigenous as is the IIR seeker of Nag ATGM, lolzz!!The whole system was brought from IMI with practically no contribution by DRDO, but now the whole deal is pretty much dead in the water.You just wait and watch.In the end, these announcements gonna be all we will have, but no guided Pinaka, forget about any Excalibur alternatives, not anytime soon at least.
Whether or not we see it is a matter of economics, ie whether it makes sense to develop a product which will take a lot of effort and cost, is relatively niche and non critical and is readily available in a perfected version.
If we need it though, then it will be done.

30 years back the likes of you would have questioned our ability to make a range of stuff from WLRs to Nuke subs to artillery guns to SAMs.

Not to gloss over the weaknesses we have, especially in DRDO, but we have to stop disparaging ourselves. We have achieved miracles from a weak industrial base and minimal R&D spend in just a few decades.

aarav

जय परशुराम‍।
Country flag

Artillery: The God Of War | Patriot With Major Gaurav Arya | Full Episode
It is good insight of Para special forces artillery which uses 105mm ,I wonder that m777 can also be used by them ,it surely will shock the enemy

Chinmoy

Country flag
Yeah.......... You summed up everything here. You don't miss any of the shit before gulping.

ArgonPrime

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Yeah.......... You summed up everything here. You don't miss any of the shit before gulping.
We will see who gulps the shit, now won't we??None of us are going anywhere.
by the way, as I had suspected, the whole guidance package for the so called Pinaka 2 has been imported from MBDA

It simply solidifies my earlier point - DRDO can't yet do shit when it comes to guided artillery munitions of any kind and it's gonna remain that way for quite some time to come.

Last edited:
Reactions: G10

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Guided Pinaka Rocket different design than what MBDA looks like.

Pinaka guided ( ER ) = 80kms
Pinaka 2 = 60kms
Pinaka 1 = 40kms

================

The earlier Pinaka version, which was an unguided one, has now been upgraded into a guided version, with a navigation, guidance and control kit developed by the Research Centre, Imarat (RCI), Hyderabad, he said.
The RCI comes under the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).If its range was earlier 40 km, it is more than 70 km now, he said.
The guided Pinaka was developed jointly by the Armament Research and Development Establishment (ARDE), Pune, the RCI, and the Defence Research and Development Laboratory (DRDL), Hyderabad.
https://www.hindustantimes.com/indi...ge-now-70km/story-3oo3H7g7CWImmbbP4B7fiM.html

====================

Again, Conform you suspicion if you can provide tender for these kits which is in open source, Otherwise you are simply distracting with your opinion over facts.

by the way, as I had suspected, the whole guidance package for the so called Pinaka 2 has been imported from MBDA

It simply solidifies my earlier point - DRDO can't yet do shit when it comes to guided artillery munitions of any kind and it's gonna remain that way for quite some time to come.

Last edited:

power_monger

Country flag

===============

Americans too tried 155mm on a 6x6 truck, It sounds gud if feasible..

Not sure same company which tied with baba !

=========
=========

Mortars are better..
Mandus group have come up with soft recoil technology which enables 155mm gun on such trucks.

It was also reported that Bharat forge had financed this technology development partly. Anyways this technology will bring huge benefits on ground operations.

But apart from this it is the ultra light weight howitzer which will be game changer as it would be up against m777 in future. America has refused to transfer tot for its ultra light gun and most parts of gun including the all important barrel is made in us. As far as I know the requirement for light gun is going to increase in coming days. So kalyani has better future with its ultra light howitzer. Bharat forge has both steel and titanium version of the gun. Steel version which is cheaper and maintenance free weighs around 6.8 ton where as the titanium version which is expensive and high maintenance weighs around 4.5 tons.

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

================>>>>>>>>> Too gud !

Mandus group have come up with soft recoil technology which enables 155mm gun on such trucks.

It was also reported that Bharat forge had financed this technology development partly. Anyways this technology will bring huge benefits on ground operations.

But apart from this it is the ultra light weight howitzer which will be game changer as it would be up against m777 in future. America has refused to transfer tot for its ultra light gun and most parts of gun including the all important barrel is made in us. As far as I know the requirement for light gun is going to increase in coming days. So kalyani has better future with its ultra light howitzer. Bharat forge has both steel and titanium version of the gun. Steel version which is cheaper and maintenance free weighs around 6.8 ton where as the titanium version which is expensive and high maintenance weighs around 4.5 tons.

Chinmoy

Country flag

Ok... So you are following Prasun Sengupta here.

Anyway @Kunal Biswas already shared most of the news regarding Pinaka 2. I would just point out few irrelevant points.

As per Prasunn Sengupta, MBDA was brought in for the guidance kit development in 2018. But DRDO is testing the guided version since 2013 and I have yet to come across a report from MoD where it has been mentioned that failure of DRDO brought in MBDA.

Another funny part is, MBDA has a JV with L&T for rocket & missile kit not Alpha Design. On top of that MBDA is not been blacklisted.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles