India will grow in strategic importance: US

JayATL

US offers India joint F-35 development? Wouldn't that lead to a conflict of interest in terms of the design technologies in light of India's involvement with the PAK FA ? It sounds pretty intuitive to me. Offering "information on the JSF and its requirements (infrastructure, security, etc)" sounds like a cute way of getting India to chip in with the major costs for the project. I can understand sub-assembly work, as with the Super Hornet but full-fledged production lines is something that will not happen unless it is mutually exclusive. Which India should and will-not-do.

If India does buy any variant of the F-35, it will be for the Navy and the scale and scope of the purchase won't envisage ToT or partnership in the program.

In fact this statement seems to support it: With own 5G jet plan, India 'rejects' US offer - Times Of India

India should join land-base platform developments, however, such as it has already done with the Stryker: artillery, next-gen S-A missile defense systems, radar, laser, tactical and logistics vehicles etc. Those are programs that are both more feasible and with shorter PDC's. In the end, cost and delivery of crucial platforms is necessary, even if cutting-edge technology is secondary.
No its offering it in lieu of PAK-FA . basically they know the reputation of russian products, its arbitary price hikes, delays, supply chain issues, mediocore quality , high maintainence of majority of what they sell...

look at the latest crappola from them

Indian Army's Russian Smerch rocket launchers facing hitches

http://www.deccanherald.com/content/201998/indian-armys-russian-smerch-rocket.html

Rage

DFI TEAM
No its offering it in lieu of PAK-FA . basically they know the reputation of russian products, its arbitary price hikes, delays, supply chain issues, mediocore quality , high maintainence of majority of what they sell...
Exactly my point. ... "in light of India's involvement with the PAK FA ...full-fledged production lines is something that will not happen unless it is mutually exclusive." Which is why co-development of the JSF is not happening.

look at the latest crappola from them

Indian Army's Russian Smerch rocket launchers facing hitches
What's the deal?

http://denver.cbslocal.com/national/2008.military.attack.2.1241143.html
http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/national/major-supplier-provided-military-defective-weapons
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0PCA/is_665/ai_n27926302/

Sounds familiar??

Last edited:

Adux

Country flag
US offers India joint F-35 development? Wouldn't that lead to a conflict of interest in terms of the design technologies in light of India's involvement with the PAK FA ? It sounds pretty intuitive to me. Offering "information on the JSF and its requirements (infrastructure, security, etc)" sounds like a cute way of getting India to chip in with the major costs for the project. I can understand sub-assembly work, as with the Super Hornet but full-fledged production lines is something that will not happen unless it is mutually exclusive. Which India should and will-not-do.

If India does buy any variant of the F-35, it will be for the Navy and the scale and scope of the purchase won't envisage ToT or partnership in the program.

In fact this statement seems to support it: With own 5G jet plan, India 'rejects' US offer - Times Of India

India should join land-base platform developments, however, such as it has already done with the Stryker: artillery, next-gen S-A missile defense systems, radar, laser, tactical and logistics vehicles etc. Those are programs that are both more feasible and with shorter PDC's. In the end, cost and delivery of crucial platforms is necessary, even if cutting-edge technology is secondary.
India will not and should not cancel MRCA.
India has need for 100 fighter aircrafts for the Navy, F-35 can bid for this.
PAK-FA is something to be seen in the future
AMCA is not coming online till 2030, according to HAL

I also advice everyone to remember that this is problem of J-20 is caused by the Russians, MiG-1.44 redux.

Adux

Country flag
Exactly my point. ... "in light of India's involvement with the PAK FA ...full-fledged production lines is something that will not happen unless it is mutually exclusive." Which is why co-development of the JSF F-35 will not happen.
There is nothing to co-develop in the F-35, it will be a finished product in 2 years.

JayATL

Exactly my point. ... "in light of India's involvement with the PAK FA ...full-fledged production lines is something that will not happen unless it is mutually exclusive." Which is why co-development of the JSF is not happening.
what do you mean mutually exclusive? You mean to say the deal has to remove every other nation/ buyer and keep it only an aircraft for US and India? or you mean it cannot have other " paying" partners?

Rage

DFI TEAM
India will not and should not cancel MRCA.
Absoloutely.

India has need for 100 fighter aircrafts for the Navy, F-35 can bid for this.
India can neither afford nor needs 100 JSF-type fighter aircraft for the Navy. The 100 requirement is: a mix of fighters, long-range maritime patrollers (LRMP's) and jet trainers (AJT's), of which less than half are for fighters alone. Of the fighter req, some have already been begun to be fulfilled by the Mig-29k and the Navy's evaluation is that it is the most feasible and cost-effective, both operationally and flyaway-wise.

PAK-FA is something to be seen in the future.
And isn't the JS F-35?

AMCA is not coming online till 2030, according to HAL.
Sure. If the timelines of the JSF and the AMCA coincided with each other, that program would have been ideal to be subsumed or incorporated with the JSF. Same essential requirements, gen, composite structure, ranges and weapon suites etc.

I also advice everyone to remember that this is problem of J-20 is caused by the Russians, MiG-1.44 redux.
We can go on about that with the US and Pak too. And deepening Russian engagement with China, despite prior suspicions and concerns, has mostly been made possible by Russian perceptions of its traditional allies moving further towards the West and delicate counter-balancing of both the US and China.

Rage

DFI TEAM
Adux said:
There is nothing to co-develop in the F-35, it will be a finished product in 2 years.
What exactly do you base that optimism on? Its past program history? Or its scale and sources of funding?

Also, if it was going to be a finished product so soon why invite Indian participation? So high-tech U.S. jobs can go to India, along with the transfer of technology?

Another clue that it's not going to be "a finished product, within two years" is Australia and Canada's purchase of the Super hornet as a stop-gap version. No country would do that, unless it perceives significant delays.

Here's something for you to chew on:

[URL='http://www.f-16.net/news_article4445.html"]F-35 on Life Support and needing Life Support l Oct 19, 2011 [/URL]

what do you mean mutually exclusive? You mean to say the deal has to remove every other nation/ buyer and keep it only an aircraft for US and India? or you mean it cannot have other " paying" partners?
I mean that the PAK FA and JSF-programmes would have to be "mutually exclusive". Which is not happening, given the scale of Indian commitment to the PAK FA and the current extent of PDC.

JayATL

What exactly do you base that optimism on? Its past program history? Or its scale and sources of funding?

Also, if it was going to be a finished product so soon why invite Indian participation? So high-tech U.S. jobs can go to India, along with the transfer of technology?

Another clue that it's not going to be "a finished product, within two years" is Australia and Canada's purchase of the Super hornet as a stop-gap version. No country would do that, unless it perceives significant delays.

Here's something for you to chew on:

[URL='http://www.f-16.net/news_article4445.html"]F-35 on Life Support and needing Life Support l Oct 19, 2011 [/URL]

I mean that the PAK FA and JSF-programmes would have to be "mutually exclusive". Which is not happening, given the scale of Indian commitment to the PAK FA and the current extent of PDC.
where JSF stands is that they have 8-9 F35 A already ready to have the military train on. That training is being requested to be delayed by 9months because they want more hours of testing to be completed ( I think over 1000 hrs has been completed). What is also almost done is F35B and should be ready to rollout in under 12 months to obtain flight clearence.

I'm not sure where you get High Tech Indian jobs would go to US . They have not even discussed those details in the offer. The indians are going to go Russia on Pak- Fa - they aint flying it here to have indians work on it. once it is production ready - sure ask the US that Indian aircrfats should be permitted to be built here in some measure.

That article you posted is pure speculation given the across the board cuts on the table going through within the US congress- but it won't happen I guarnatee you. US congress avoid military cuts:) it is also F35 B specific and not the program itself.

I see PAK-FA having delays, cost over runs, enormous time to realization , supply chain issues and typical higher maintainence with Russain products- I see advantage of F 35, only if you get reasonable TOT, like other NATO countries would - a quicker induction of a fifth gen aircraft, higher quality, more skin in the game to keep adding advances to it ( all countries involved financially), a better EW package, a superb supply chain in place and lower maintainence cost -which cost you less on per aircraft over its lifetime. I also see US ( since the artcile I posted ) doing co-development with India on vital improvements almost similar to what PAK-FA has India play...

The commitment to PAK FA is what in terms of dollars now? was it not like 256 million dollars only so far? If that commitment is more i.e cash given to them- then you have a vaild point / hurdle for not dropping PAK-FA. but if its a commitment not executed in terms of dollars , you can drop it.

100 million dollar question is: will India have the galls to tell russia- enough with the shoddy products, low QA and delayed supplies and hikes in prices..

Last edited:

p2prada

India can neither afford nor needs 100 JSF-type fighter aircraft for the Navy. The 100 requirement is: a mix of fighters, long-range maritime patrollers (LRMP's) and jet trainers (AJT's), of which less than half are for fighters alone.
Rage, IN has need for 72 new fighters up and over the N-LCA and Mig-29k. The N-LCA won't be over 6 for each of the two carriers while Mig-29k will be the primary aircraft for both carriers.

The requirement for other aircraft is over the 72.

The MRCA RFIs have already been sent and it includes the F-35 along with Rafale, SH, Gripen, Mig-29k(I guess) and EF.

I don't know why we have two threads talking about the same though. Mods?

Rage

DFI TEAM
where JSF stands is that they have 8-9 F35 A already ready to have the military train on. That training is being requested to be delayed by 9months because they want more hours of testing to be completed ( I think over 1000 hrs has been completed). What is also almost done is F35B and should be ready to rollout in under 12 months to obtain flight clearence.

I'm not sure where you get High Tech Indian jobs would go to US . They have not even discussed those details in the offer. The indians are going to go Russia on Pak- Fa - they aint flying it here to have indians work on it. once it is production ready - sure ask the US that Indian aircrfats should be permitted to be built here in some measure.

That article you posted is pure speculation given the across the board cuts on the table going through within the US congress- but it won't happen I guarnatee you. US congress avoid military cuts:) it is also F35 B specific and not the program itself.

I see PAK-FA having delays, cost over runs, enormous time to realization , supply chain issues and typical higher maintainence with Russain products- I see advantage of F 35, only if you get reasonable TOT, like other NATO countries would - a quicker induction of a fifth gen aircraft, higher quality, more skin in the game to keep adding advances to it ( all countries involved financially), a better EW package, a superb supply chain in place and lower maintainence cost -which cost you less on per aircraft over its lifetime. I also see US ( since the artcile I posted ) doing co-development with India on vital improvements almost similar to what PAK-FA has India play...

The commitment to PAK FA is what in terms of dollars now? was it not like 256 million dollars only so far? If that commitment is more i.e cash given to them- then you have a vaild point / hurdle for not dropping PAK-FA. but if its a commitment not executed in terms of dollars , you can drop it.

100 million dollar question is: will India have the galls to tell russia- enough with the shoddy products, low QA and delayed supplies and hikes in prices..
I'm still struggling to understand how you arrive at that assesment of the F-35 vis-a-vis the PAK FA.

My contention is this, that the JSF program has been almost unique as compared to other US military programs in terms of its delays, cost overruns; and technical, design and contractual problems. Problems that we don't need exported to India.

More hours of testing is not the only reason training has been requested to be delayed by 9 months. Vision Systems International, the maker of JSF's HMD, has just announced it's inability to get it right. And BAE Sytems has been awarded the contract for a whole new one. This is an integral component of any 5-gen fighter.

And that angle going around about the JSF's cost-estimates being based on pre-production estimates is also bull. Boeing's initial cost estimates in Fiscal 2001 dollars were $70-75 million a piece. These were production-line cost estimates based on consolidated participating country Air Force requirements. Remember these are 2001 dollars. The JSF program is now more than 5 years behind schedule and 60% above cost, with compounding software difficulties ensuring that there is no end in sight. Even if you take a conservative, non-inflated estimate of 60% cost overrun, the cost per fighter approximates $120 million at this stage. Not something we can afford.

And to think only Russian platforms have delays, overruns and technical problems is fatuous. Want proof? This is one example from Aviation Week. Read the rest of the article too.

:-

"A senior Royal Australian Air Force officer with insight into the Boeing/Northrop Grumman Wedgetail aircraft, summed up the dilemma of foreign purchasers: "It's great kit and just what we needed, but it would have been so helpful and caused us so much less pain [with the government] if we had been told up front how big that radar was going to be [3.5 tons], how long it actually was going to take [five years over schedule] and how much it was actually going to cost [more than $4 billion]."

JSF Cost Predictions Rattle Foreign Customers | AVIATION WEEK

If we do buy the JSF, it will be for the Navy only. And it will be in numbers much smaller than 72, permitting two squadrons at the most. That will not be a number that sees any feasible Indian program participation.

That is the first reason. The second reason why the JSF could not see any Indian program participation, is because it is already heavily commited to and invested in the PAK-FA program. The $ millions aside, and the contractual commitment to a minimum total of $5.1 billion, we simply do not have the resources to be working on two 5-gen fighter aircraft of the same class and ASRs simultaneously.

I'm not sure where you get High Tech Indian jobs would go to US . They have not even discussed those details in the offer. The indians are going to go Russia on Pak- Fa - they aint flying it here to have indians work on it. once it is production ready - sure ask the US that Indian aircrfats should be permitted to be built here in some measure
They (by which I mean Robert Scher, Departmet of Defense Secretary for South and Southeast Asia, a Pentagon report and Lockheed Martin's Vice President for Business Development, Rob Weiss) are talking about outsourcing assembly functions to India in the event it becomes a program partner, primarily to reduce costs- a secondary reason for roping in India, after its funding. Won't that see the outsourcing of "high-tech American jobs" or the transfer of technology. And India is not going to be a partner in the JSF program, unless it has a significant requirement for the fighter, which it will not.

That article you posted is pure speculation given the across the board cuts on the table going through within the US congress- but it won't happen I guarnatee you. US congress avoid military cuts it is also F35 B specific and not the program itself.
Pure speculation. Funny. Military cuts are inevitable, and long-term programs will be the first to see the light-of-day.

Those are all testbeds. Just as the PAK FA has 4 or 6 prototypes. Not "trainers" of any sort. I don't know how much you know about testbed technology, but they cannot be used to "train" for anything until outstanding issues are resolved. Which are a plenty.

I see PAK-FA having delays, cost over runs, enormous time to realization , supply chain issues and typical higher maintainence with Russain products- ---
Funny, I see all of those problems in the JSF.

No, that is a 6 billion dollar question. The answer to which is a resounding No.

Last edited:

Rage

DFI TEAM
Rage, IN has need for 72 new fighters up and over the N-LCA and Mig-29k. The N-LCA won't be over 6 for each of the two carriers while Mig-29k will be the primary aircraft for both carriers.

The requirement for other aircraft is over the 72.

The MRCA RFIs have already been sent and it includes the F-35 along with Rafale, SH, Gripen, Mig-29k(I guess) and EF.

I don't know why we have two threads talking about the same though. Mods?
Buddy, can you source me a link to say that the 72 is over and above the N-LCA and the Mig-29k. Because i think the Mig-29k is going to comprise a big portion of that 72. Frankly, i can't see so many fighters in the Navy. Not unless we have a naval base somewhere, in which case we would still prefer cheaper fighters there.

Last edited:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles