India still larger threat to Pakistan than al-Qaeda, Taliban: US lawmaker

prototype

India is still a larger threat to Pakistan than the al-Qaeda and Taliban, a top US lawmaker has said, while observing that certain members of the Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) continue to be sympathetic towards such terror outfits.

"We know that certain ISI members still have a sympathy toward the Taliban and certain al-Qaeda elements, and the Haqqani network," Congressman Mike Rogers, chairman of the house permanent select committee on intelligence, said at the Council on Foreign Relations (CFR), a Washington-based eminent think tank.

"Our national interests haven't lined up. Pakistan has not really come to the conclusion that the Taliban and al-Qaeda is as big a threat as India. They believe India is their problem. And so that has been, I think, the United States' struggle all along.

"So they look at this as, gee, we'd like to help. We're going to try to help. But have you looked at India lately? Boy, that's a real problem. And so that's the struggle that we've had with Pakistan," he said in response to a question.

Rogers said he believed that US is going to have to ask tough questions. "We need to understand. I think it's inherent, as our relationship continues here, that we know who, what, when and why about Osama bin Laden being in this particular compound for as much as five years. We should all understand that".

"From all the information I have seen, we can't conclusively say that somebody senior knew and promoted safe haven. Clearly there may have been elements that knew and looked the other way, but we can't say the institutions yet knew and looked the other way.Hopefully we will know that, I believe," he said.

Rogers said Pakistan has been helpful in the past, so it should come as no surprise to anyone that it would say they believe they have shared information in the past that may have ultimately led to bin Laden's whereabouts.

"This is a good opportunity for Pakistan to say: Listen, this was embarrassing. Let's move forward. There's a lot we can do together, and let's talk about all the things we can do together to break the back of the threat emanating from the tribal areas and settled areas in Pakistan.

"I can't say, sitting here, I would dispute that.The problem has come with the fact that if they knew he was there and if they didn't pass along that little tidbit of information is a huge problem," the Congressman said.

http://http://www.dnaindia.com/world/report_india-still-larger-threat-to-pakistan-than-al-qaeda-taliban-us-lawmaker_1542306

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
This sounds more like the beginning of a reconciliation between the US and Pak where India will be used as a bogey. I hope this is not the view of the administration.

prahladh

Respected Member
may be title should be changed. For Pak, India larger threat than al-qaeda & Taliban:US.
Old wine in new bottle.

Last edited:

Patriot

Country flag
These Congressman are paid for their statements by the lobbyists. One thing is for sure nothing is going to change as far as US-PAK relationship is concerned. It is a relationship of a whore & a Pimp.

Phenom

Misleading title, the congressman says Pakistan thinks India is a larger threat. He doesn't say whether that's true or not.

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
India should be a greater threat to Pakistan than any other threat Pakistan may have. I wonder who is this chicken head Indian politicians, behind the scenes giving guarantee to US et al that we are not going to attack Pakistan. US politicians has not said this once but many times that India is not a threat to Pakistan. I wonder why they have taken India for sure that she will not go against this fanatic Islamic neighbouring state.

India has got enough high moral standing by sparing Pakistan on many occasions. There is no rational mouth on this globe to preach us restrain when we will decide to teach Pakistan a lesson without any provocation.

Better be on your a$$ Pakistan, do not trust any guarantee if USA will extend to you about India.

Sick of being goody goody now...

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
Agree with you and would rephrase as :
Religious fanatics and terrorism is the biggest internal threat to Pakistan and ..
India is ofcourse the biggest external threat to Pakistan !!

Regards,
Virendra

BangersAndMash

agree with you and would rephrase as :
Religious fanatics and terrorism is the biggest internal threat to pakistan and ..
India is of course the biggest imaginary external threat to pakistan !!

Regards,
virendra

fixed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oracle

This is what lobbyists do.

Let's us remember some recent examples. Kargil - India did not cross the LoC, when it could had, but simply drove the Pakistani Army away from this side of the border. 26/11 - innocents were massacred, still India held on. There is a peace process going on now. So, how exactly is India the biggest threat?

The tongue has no bones, it can swirl any way. Statements however should make sense.

Country flag
USA could not stop the nuclear deal between Pakistan and China (or they wink winked at it)after decades of missile and nuclear proliferation. This statement is meaningless when US drones and 5000 blackwater agents are pounding Pakistan daily. US wants pakistan to stay focused on India while their country is ripped to shreds by USA.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles