India starts its own MMA league "Super Fight League"

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
India just launched its own MMA league.

Now, I don't know where this is going to go.

It's most likely going to get crushed by big names like UFC..

But I hope MMA gets really big in India.

--------------------------------------------------

INDIA'S SUPER FIGHT LEAGUE INKS UFC VETS TODD DUFFEE, TREVOR PRANGLEY, PAUL KELLY

Indian promotion Super Fight League announced Monday that UFC veterans Todd Duffee, Trevor Prangley and Paul Kelly have all signed to compete for the organization in the coming months.

The organization's inaugural event takes place March 11 at the Andheri Sports Complex in Mumbai. Headlined by a super-heavyweight showdown pitting James Thompson against Bob Sapp, the show will stream live and for free on YouTube.

Though signed to four-fight deals, the aforementioned UFC vets will not make their debuts at SFL 1, and it is currently unknown when they will first compete. The promotion already has two more events scheduled for spring, as SFL 2 and 3 are expected to take place April 7 and May 6 in Chandigarh and New Delhi, respectively.

Formerly one of the UFC's brightest heavyweight prospects, Duffee (Pictured) has not seen action since falling by knockout to Alistair Overeem in December 2010. The loss marked the second consecutive defeat for the 26-year-old, who began his MMA career a perfect 6-0.

One of South Africa's best-known fighters, Prangley, 39, is a veteran of 33 career fights. The four-time UFC veteran has tasted defeat in each of his last three outings, falling to Roger Gracie, Tatsuya Mizuno and Hector Lombard last year.

A nine-time UFC vet, Kelly was released by the world's largest promotion one year ago after submitting to Donald Cerrone at UFC 126. The Brit has split his last six fights and owns notable career wins over Paul Taylor, Matt Veach and T.J. O'Brien.

The SFL also recently announced two additional noteworthy signings, as the promotion has inked another UFC vet in Xavier Foupa-Pokam as well as unbeaten kickboxing stylist Lena Ovchynnikova to compete at SFL 1. "Professor X" will square off with Joey Guel on March 11, while Ovchynnikova's opponent is yet to be announced.

Last edited by a moderator:

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
will it have local fighters ?but i ubt the performance f indians if any one got selected as MMA had just started gaining popularity in india.

Adux

Country flag
So basically it has a lot of MMA hasbeen's

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
So basically it has a lot of MMA hasbeen's
adux does ekm has any mma caching centres or an sort of martial arts school barring the usual karate ,kalari kunfu etc?
I heard that in frt cochin there is a institute for israeli martial arts

Global Defence

New threads

Articles