Votes: 14 51.9%
  • Not sure.

Votes: 3 11.1%

• Total voters

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Its tourist or small business visit visa. I do not see a reason why India should not get this easy money. Anyway, no one wants to go to India due to all the stupid hassles and poor infrastructure.
On top of that it is not really VoA, you need to apply online beforehand.
Improving infrastructure and reducing hassles should be done regardless. Indian custom/immigration guys are grade a aholes.

My question is : Why offer VoA to others, when others are not willing to grant you the same facilities ?

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
Why should India offer VoA unilaterally when these countries don't offer it to Indians ? There is always a quid pro quo in diplomacy.
Normally yes, but as the old adage goes, "beggars cannot be choosers". We need tourist money. The situation will change in 10-15 years, and many of these nations will automatically start giving reciprocal agreements.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
I don't think countries like US, EU, Aus, UK are going to give out VoA to Indians. We hold the least visa friendly passports. Only when there is fair exchange of people among countries and security conditions improve, maybe then after 10-15yrs our passports will not be frowned upon.

It would be a great facility nonetheless. I visited Turkey with VoA, very helpful for spontaneous travel.

--

Top 10 Best Passports For Visa-Free Travel (2013)

1 Finland, Sweden, UK

2 Denmark, Germany, Luxembourg, U.S.

3 Belgium, Italy, Netherlands

4 Canada, France, Ireland, Japan, Norway, Portugal, Spain

5 Austria, New Zealand, Switzerland

6 Australia, Greece, Singapore

7 South Korea

8 Iceland

9 Malaysia, Malta

10 Liechtenstein

The Best Passports To Have For Unrestricted Travel Around The World

Last edited:

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
I don't think countries like US, EU, Aus, UK are going to give out VoA to Indians. We hold the least visa friendly passports.

Its would be a great facility nonetheless. I visited Turkey with VoA, very helpful for spontaneous travel.

--

Top 10 Best Passports For Visa-Free Travel (2013)

1 Finland, Sweden, UK

2 Denmark, Germany, Luxembourg, U.S.

3 Belgium, Italy, Netherlands

4 Canada, France, Ireland, Japan, Norway, Portugal, Spain

5 Austria, New Zealand, Switzerland

6 Australia, Greece, Singapore

7 South Korea

8 Iceland

9 Malaysia, Malta

10 Liechtenstein

The Best Passports To Have For Unrestricted Travel Around The World
You can only get VoA in Turkey if you have teh Schengen visa.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Normally yes, but as the old adage goes, "beggars cannot be choosers". We need tourist money. The situation will change in 10-15 years, and many of these nations will automatically start giving reciprocal agreements.
You are merely buying into symbolism of this. Without reforms mere offering of VoA isn't going to cause an increase in tourism stats. And when the time comes for concessions, we will have to dole out more.

Singapore gets more tourists than India fyi.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
You are merely buying into symbolism of this. Without reforms mere offering of VoA isn't going to cause an increase in tourism stats. And when the time comes for concessions, we will have to dole out more.

Singapore gets more tourists than India fyi.
Baby steps towards the right direction sir!

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
Improving infrastructure and reducing hassles should be done regardless. Indian custom/immigration guys are grade a aholes.

My question is : Why offer VoA to others, when others are not willing to grant you the same facilities ?
The money and the business. We need foreign CEOs to visit India as much if not more than their home countries. Getting Indian visa was a pain for most genuine business travellers. It is a step in the right direction. If they do not offer it to India businessman, they can screw themselves. But they have genuine concerns of Indians overstaying in their country and not vice-versa. That is how it stands today.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
The money and the business. We need foreign CEOs to visit India as much if not more than their home countries. Getting Indian visa was a pain for most genuine business travellers. It is a step in the right direction. If they do not offer it to India businessman, they can screw themselves. But they have genuine concerns of Indians overstaying in their country and not vice-versa. That is how it stands today.
For the sake of argument if I agree that just by merely offering VoA, Indian custom and immigrations will become smooth on their own for business travelers. Reality will hit them as soon as they leave the airport, no ?

Systemic reforms are needed, saar. VoA is mere symbolism. Even with a simple VoA like system Indian Govt will find a way to make it a pain in the ass.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
I still do not understand some of our friends on this forum are unhappy about VoA.

It is mainly targeted mainly at tourism. What is wrong with some people depending on tourism get a boost. Not every thing should be viewed as strategic in nature, some times it is as simple as some family's roti kapda aur makaan. Unless somebody working in tourism industry says this is bad for business, we should not so pessimistic about things.

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
For the sake of argument if I agree that just by merely offering VoA, Indian custom and immigrations will become smooth on their own for business travelers. Reality will hit them as soon as they leave the airport, no ?

Systemic reforms are needed, saar. VoA is mere symbolism. Even with a simple VoA like system Indian Govt will find a way to make it a pain in the ass.
May be or may be not. But it is still cutting down on one of the major hassles of getting your visa rejected. Because US rejected 70% of visas, Indian embassy is no longer entitled to do the same. For a large fraction of business travellers, easy visa regime is good enough.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
May be or may be not. But it is still cutting down on one of the major hassles of getting your visa rejected. Because US rejected 70% of visas, Indian embassy is no longer entitled to do the same. For a large fraction of business travellers, easy visa regime is good enough.
US rejects 70% of Indian visas, but India should honour 100% of American visas ? That's not how diplomatic quid pro quo works.

Remember Indian response to Devyani treatment ?

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
US rejects 70% of Indian visas, but India should honour 100% of American visas ? That's not how diplomatic quid pro quo works.

Remember Indian response to Devyani treatment ?
Diplomacy must work for national benefit. There are other ways to pay back US. Why do you think visa rejection for visa rejection is the best policy, when we have multiple policy instruments?

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Diplomacy must work for national benefit. There are other ways to pay back US. Why do you think visa rejection for visa rejection is the best policy, when we have multiple policy instruments?
National benefit ?

Do you know who will come on these visas ? Those evangelical Xtians......

India had a valid reason to deny those Xtian Missionaries of the Bible Belt, and now Modi has okayed their entry.. :mad:

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
National benefit ?

Do you know who will come on these visas ? Those evangelical Xtians......

India had a valid reason to deny those Xtian Missionaries of the Bible Belt, and now Modi has okayed their entry.. :mad:
How do you know they were denied visas before? And now only their numbers would surge?

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
How do you know they were denied visas before? And now only their numbers would surge?
I can't offer any open source information to you sorry. You can verify it from your IFS sources if any.

But you will concede that because of VoA even if Modi wants he cannot deny visas to the evangelicals.

Republicans are getting stronger, Dollar is touching 65, and US economy growing at 5% which is incidentally the same rate as India's, India's increasingly reliance on american military hardware ..... I don't need to put 2+2 together, you live in the Xtian west you know how they operate.

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
I can't offer any open source information to you sorry. You can verify it from your IFS sources if any.

But you will concede that because of VoA even if Modi wants he cannot deny visas to the evangelicals.

Republicans are getting stronger, Dollar is touching 65, and US economy growing at 5% which is incidentally the same rate as India's, India's increasingly reliance on american military hardware ..... I don't need to put 2+2 together, you live in the Xtian west you know how they operate.
I will. But I think the economic benefits would far outweigh the costs given a seemingly Hindu govt rules at centre.

Btw, most people don't care about religion here in Europe and especially Christianity. Exotic religions still have some value!

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles