Incredible Indian Wild Life

Bharat Ek Khoj

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
That's not a Ganges shark. That's a Bull shark... We have those, but off the coast, especially in Andaman archipelago.

This is a Ganges shark (locally called Kamote) specimen;
IMG_20180303_223543_548.jpg

Proper habitat-shots of it are very hard to come across! Because they are critically endangered & only left in remote places like Sundarbans.
Also they live in muddy rivers...

Last edited:

James-bond

Country flag
Few endangered Animals in India

Great Indian Bustard
The structure of the bird resembles that of an Ostrich, since both of them have long, thin legs and a relatively puffed upper body.

Lion Tailed Macaque
Its rich black texture and stiff black tail which is no different from that of a famous predator, makes the Lion Tailed Macaque really attractive.

Malabar Large Spotted Civet
This animal which seems more like a Hyena is the Malabar Large Spotted Civet, which is mainly found in the Western Ghats region of Kerala.
Himalayan Wolf
Also famously known as the Tibetan Wolf, these creatures are found in the snow-capped Himalayan ranges of Jammu & Kashmir as well as in Himachal Pradesh.

Clouded Leopard
Although leopards with yellow-complexion and black spots are common in many parts of India, the clouded leopards are scarce. Found mainly in the Himalayan foothills and the neighboring Nepal.

Loris
These Slender creatures, known for their bright brown eyes, weigh around 2-kilos are now scarcely found in the North Eastern states of Assam, Tripura, Manipur and Meghalaya.

The Great Indian Hornbill
Mostly found in the Himalayan mountain ranges and a few parts of the Western Ghats, The Great Indian Hornbill is scarcely found in the country today.

Read more: http://buzz.iloveindia.com/20-endangered-animals-in-india-you-must-see-before-they-vanish.html

HeinzGud

Country flag
Do u know in India every year minimum 11000 to 50000 are killed by snake bites! They all are accidental killings and snakes worth more than the dead humans .... strange but true.

All wild-animal killings are accidents for me (including tiger hunt).
Nah.. some animals are do the killing intentionally. What do you think about the Beast of Rudraprayag.

indiatester

Country flag
Few endangered Animals in India

Great Indian Bustard
The structure of the bird resembles that of an Ostrich, since both of them have long, thin legs and a relatively puffed upper body.
This bird was actually thought of as extinct after they were not spotted in Rajasthan during the 1980s. Fortunately they were found doing well around Rollapadu village and we still get to see these beautiful birds.

Honestly, conservation effort actually is very unfair to the people. Lots of villagers lost their ancesteral land due to govt acquisition just because this bird was found there.

James-bond

Country flag

Last edited:

mayfair

Any book suggestion on ancient animals ( + birds ) of india. At least goes to 5000 yrs, extinct or still alive.
Prater's book was written during the Raj, so it does include references to animals that are now extinct, at least in many areas that they were known to be.

There's another series called Fauna of British India, including Ceylon and Burma. A multi-volume compilation that goes into depths of fauna of these parts including insects.

It was first published in 1890s and I believe is freely available online.

Before that I am not aware of any works commissioned by native rulers or Islamic invaders on the wildlife in India.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Before that I am not aware of any works commissioned by native rulers or Islamic invaders on the wildlife in India.
Baburnama has some natural history, but is totally eclipsed by Tuzuk-i-Jahangiri.

Jahangir pioneered it in India! He was a great patron & the Mughal-Rajput miniature painting was much more accurate than British crap!
Ustad Mansoor's work...
wpid-photogrid_1414463886848.jpg
But these were all about contemporary wildlife & their habitat extent (pretty amazing accounts).
https://books.google.co.in/books?id=_QnFTzS2xh8C&pg=PA35&lpg=PA35&dq=jahangir+india+natural+history&source=bl&ots=jMngjDPT5D&sig=5XM87zxwZAYg8Crj20nMvfj8CKM&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjF7qK5yNLZAhVBupQKHaQuAa4Q6AEwD3oECAQQAQ#v=onepage&q=jahangir india natural history&f=false

Jahangir: The Naturalist. (<recommended book)

He even kept a lot of wildlife.
5b7deffdb7f24d7ea2504373ebff93c3.jpg

Livemint: The naturalist with a hint of cruelty.html

Last edited:

James-bond

Country flag
Baburnama has some natural history, but is totally eclipsed by Tuzuk-i-Jahangiri.

Jahangir pioneered it in India! He was a great patron & the Mughal-Rajput miniature painting was much more accurate than British crap!
Ustad Mansoor's work...
View attachment 23625 But these were all about contemporary wildlife & their habitat extent (pretty amazing accounts).
https://books.google.co.in/books?id=_QnFTzS2xh8C&pg=PA35&lpg=PA35&dq=jahangir+india+natural+history&source=bl&ots=jMngjDPT5D&sig=5XM87zxwZAYg8Crj20nMvfj8CKM&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjF7qK5yNLZAhVBupQKHaQuAa4Q6AEwD3oECAQQAQ#v=onepage&q=jahangir india natural history&f=false

Jahangir: The Naturalist. (<recommended book)

He even kept a lot of wildlife.
View attachment 23626

Livemint: The naturalist with a hint of cruelty.html
Do u know one guy u mentioned!
The naturalist with a hint of cruelty
Mughal emperor Jahangir was fascinated by the natural world around him, but he liked to hunt as well

Aakar Patel ... Full name is Aakar Ahmed Patel ... Modi hater and Khangress chamcha. Only write anti-Hindu and jihadi glorification articles.

Khangress from past 70 years did only one thing 'glorification of these filthy jihadi mogals'.Don't take them seriously.

James-bond

Country flag
@Bleh Of-course you read how serial poacher jihadi jahangir (he boasted he killed 1000's of Wild-Animals)is naturalist,kind hearted and what not but did u ever read about real 'animal lover' and great king Ashoka? .. .. 2000 years before Ashoka stopped animal cruelty but our shameless brothelwood made a movie on 'Asoka' as a cheap mad-lover.

Some interesting tweets on Wold Wild Life Day

Last edited:

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
@Bleh u read how serial poacher jihadi jahangir (he boasted he killed 1000's of Animals) naturalist, kind hearted and what not but did u ever read about real animal lover and great king Ashoka? .. ..

Some interesting tweets on Wold Wild Life Day
I said he documented a lot of natural history, which is true.
I didn't say he founded PET@.

Anyways, that tweet is incorrect.The 27% increase in Asiatic lion numbers (411 to 523) is old news...
Local census, August 2017, pegged the number at minimum 650.

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz

Anyways, that tweet is incorrect.The 27% increase (411 to 523) is old news...
Damn we can exchange some Asiatic lions for some chettah with Iran

James-bond

Country flag

Anyways, that tweet is incorrect.The 27% increase in Asiatic lion numbers (411 to 523) is old news...
In 17th century we have paper,colors and paintings etc so some may documented that doesn't make that jiahadi any great even 2000 years before Ashoka documented without any of these and tried to stop animal cruelty unlike serial poacher jahangir.

Peta is not an angel they are extreme and illogical not good for society. I quoted that quote because it is recognition from UN.

Don't think Iran Cheetah's are real .. they may be imported African Cheetah .. Actually once Indian govt considered this swap and asked Iranians provide DNA samples but Iranian cheaters refused.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
1. Iran has less than 100 cheetahs (only ±50 identified) now, spread over a HUGE area! They're not in a position to give away...

2. Gujarat successfully grounded the lion reintroduction to MP by sheer stubbornness! They won't exchange lions with a foreign country, that also an Islamic one...

But I do think they'd be safer here. Presently we have way more efficient conservation machinery.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles