Incredible Indian Wild Life

indiatester

Country flag
I was driving through Kadiri forest yesterday nigh. There are big forest fires going on. One hill was on brightly lit. No coverage anywhere.
I wanted to take some pics but family was already tired so could not.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
I guess most Indians don't know this but reeaaally should...

India is the only country in the world that has black tigers, white tigers & (one) golden tiger in the wild!

Black or melanistic tigers are presently found only in Simlipal Tiger Reserve of Odisha (& two brothers were recently born in captivity at Nandankan Zoo of the same state).
There was half a dozen of the them during last census, with an increasing trend due to the forest being somewhat dense & the darker individuals succeeding more in hunts.
IMG_20180303_144658_372.jpg

tumblr_nfxilbxjZl1sndg3zo1_500_zps9743edcc.jpg

White tigers have been around for a while, with their recessive gene surfacing every now & then (more data HERE if you're interested). One such specimen got captured in the '50s & became the source of the genetic trait in all of the world's captive white tigers, Mohan.

But recently an adolescent male was photographed in Nilgiri.
And shortly later once again, this time with his brother, both a bit older!

A Golden tigress was camera-trapped in Kaziranga in 2016.
FB_IMG_1517606871891.jpg

Last year she was sighted again, this time during a safari!
rAzRYz3.jpg

Last edited:

mayfair

^^I suppose some of the above can be attributed to shrinking gene pool due to habitat fragmentation and populations getting increasingly isolated leading to inbreeding. White and Golden coat pigmentation are typically recessive traits.

The trend is worrying. The habitats need to be urgently connected via restored corridors such that animals can freely migrate to different forest habitats.

James-bond

Country flag
I guess most Indians don't know this but reeaaally should...

India is the only country in the world that has black tigers, white tigers & (one) golden tiger in the wild!

Black or melanistic tigers are presently found only in Simlipal Tiger Reserve of Odisha (& two brothers were recently born in captivity at Nandankan Zoo of the same state).
There was half a dozen of the them during last census, with an increasing trend due to the forest being somewhat dense & the darker individuals succeeding more in hunts.
View attachment 23596

View attachment 23595

White tigers have been around for a while, with their recessive gene surfacing every now & then (more data HERE if you're interested). One such specimen got captured in the '50s & became the source of the genetic trait in all of the world's captive white tigers, Mohan.

But recently an adolescent male was photographed in Nilgiri.
And shortly later once again, this time with his brother, both a bit older!

A Golden tigress was camera-trapped in Kaziranga in 2016.
View attachment 23598
Last year she was sighted again, this time during a safari!
View attachment 23599
Are u sure those Nilgiri tigers are white they look more camera trick to me? .. means any one captured (in-cam) or sighted them other than that guy!

Welcome Rishi ... Another Tiger fanboy like me!Is there Lion fanboys in the forum?
then we will start Lion vs Tiger war.:rofl:

mayfair

Are u sure those Nilgiri tigers are white they look more camera trick to me? .. means any one captured (in-cam) or sighted them other than that guy!
Their coats appear significantly lighter shade to me, not a camera trick, else the surrounding vegetation would be much lighter as well. But then most White Tigers are not truly white.

To me these look like two sub-adults from the same litter. I wonder which part of Nilgiris was this? Avalanche forest?

mayfair

@James-bond brothar do u think there ever existed lion on Easter sides of india
I believe Lions may have not ventured past Narmada, because not only were they late entrants to the sub-continent, but also because of natural barriers.

Prides of lions do not take well to crossing forested hillsides. They typically prefer open grasslands.

James-bond

Country flag
^^Buddy i want just another sighting then i have no problem in believing it.You know now a days we can do many camera tricks.

@James-bond brothar do u think there ever existed lion on Easter sides of india
These are two maps regarding Lions territory, so no doubt they existed in middle of India but east depends??

1.Is accurate 100% 2.Doubtful!

mayfair

^^ Caught a fleeting glimpse of these magnificent creatures in Ganga a long time ago. Have never seen one again.

My cousin said some call it jalpari in those parts

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
^^Buddy i want just another sighting then i have no problem in believing it.You know now a days we can do many camera tricks.

These are two maps regarding Lions territory, so no doubt they existed in middle of India but east depends??

1.Is accurate 100% 2.Doubtful!

The first two makes sense
But then how come Sri Lanka has such lion influence

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
^^I suppose some of the above can be attributed to shrinking gene pool due to habitat fragmentation and populations getting increasingly isolated leading to inbreeding. White and Golden coat pigmentation are typically recessive traits.
The trend is worrying. The habitats need to be urgently connected via restored corridors such that animals can freely migrate to different forest habitats.
That's halfway... Once the population reduced, the genepool recieved a hit. We saw such a crisis in the first decade of 21st century.

When it starts increasing again, then these kind of specimens can be seen, because a larger present population came from fewer animals & share genes to some extent.
It'll be mitigated once individual metapopulations grow to reach their capacity & males starts migrating farther.

Welcome Rishi ... Another Tiger fanboy like me!Is there Lion fanboys in the forum?
then we will start Lion vs Tiger war.:rofl:
Ok. Clearly you know my profile pic, but from where? Quora?
Probably not Wildfact...you wouldn't call me a tiger fanboy then!

Fanboying is for boys, i've outgrown that!

mayfair

I cannot recall any reports about Lions being present in peninsular India. They never went past the Narmada basin.

mayfair

It'll be mitigated once individual metapopulations grow to reach their capacity & males starts migrating farther.
That is the problem, habitats are getting increasingly fragmented and migratory corridors disappearing.

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
^^ Caught a fleeting glimpse of these magnificent creatures in Ganga a long time ago. Have never seen one again.

My cousin said some call it jalpari in those parts
I had witnessed one 7 years ago when we had went to collect water for chath puja.
Tho they have become critically endangered now and can only be seen in area far flung from cities.
Apparently the oil made from their akin was rumoured to cure leprosy so they were widely hunted out.
I've heard stories from my grandpa that during the 50s they could be seen in Main Patna city and use to swim in swarms.
The ones in UP and West Bengal are no where to be seen now don't know why.
Hopefully the clean Ganga project can do justice to these magnificent creatures.

I cannot recall any reports about Lions being present in peninsular India. They never went past the Narmada basin.
I think lions prefer dry climate more than evergreen forest so that's why the land across Narmada won't suit them either way.

James-bond

Country flag
The first two makes sense
But then how come Sri Lanka has such lion influence
If u check before i already mentioned Asiatic Lions are 'Good-boys' they very rarely attack humans,bold,form group,follow leader,look Regal with mane etc make Lions as ROYAL in most ancient cultures.

Ex:UK,SL,Roman etc (even in India - Singh.Singhasanam-Throne)

Tiger always considered as mystic,notorious,blood thirty .. Injured tigers become man-eaters and it is very difficult to capture/kill them as they are very intelligent,cunning and powerful animals.

So, olden days ancient Kings adored Lions and public hated Tigers. :rofl:

tldr: Lions in China,Malaysia or SL is based on mostly myths and fairy tales propagated by royals.

@Bleh through Wildfact. So, u are not tiger fanboy. Good.

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz

Indian monitor lizard or more famously know as 'Goh', in rural areas they are rumoured to cause leprosy if anyone came in contact with their spit.

Once during my village visit I had gone to take a leak in the backside of my house when I saw that thing I was shit scared and ran back into home without tucking my dick back in.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles