How to 'win' a war ?

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
You dont really play chess very well do you?
The analogy did not originate with me. As usual, you and civfanatic pop in with the snappy but useless remark. Messiah will probably complete the set; the three of you are so predictable with your petulance and hostility. There is a reason for DFI's rule about one-liners; have you read it? If you want to make every discussion a game of matching wits, go to ARRSE.

And, I can remember when you, trackwhack, were extremely disrespectful in this forum to a retired IA officer. There is no excuse for yielding to your belligerence to make a point. Try exercising some self-control.

May I also add that the military men here put you three children to shame every day. Since they have actual experience their contributions to the discussion are meaningful. I am honored to know them. They are the core of DFI, and take up the slack for all the posers.:thumb:

Last edited:

lemontree

Professional
is it number of weapons or personnel that decide the fate of war? if you outnumber your enemy, you can win.
Numbers are important, especially in mountain warfare, armour and arty assets. But numbers along cannot convert to victory (a 24,000 strong garrison in Dacca surrendered to a 3000 strong brigade in Dec 1971).

or is it technology or tactics? if you have a better technology or tactics than your enemy, you can win.
Both technology and tactics. Remember the air war blitz of both the Gulf Wars - the Iraqis had no answer to the techological superiority of the allies.

pankaj nema

Country flag
Modern Warfare is all about the SENSOR to SHOOTER loop

The side which can SEE the enemy first and fire its Long range weapons first will LIVE

pankaj nema

Country flag
The sensor to shooter loop must be SMALL
ie the TIME taken to Locate the enemy
and telling your firing units ie Missiles artillerry or Air force should be MINIMUM

Otherwise the enemy will escape because the " targets of OPPURTUNITY " ie the Moving targets
keep shifting their position

ajay_ijn

Country flag
Every war has to be won on the ground, ultimately. To use the analogy of chess, Infantry is the Queen of Battle.
Guys I am new to this forum but I enjoyed a lot. I wonder what are the key factors for success in winning ground war, sea war and air war?

Please tell me in detail or give me sources.

Thank you.
determined & courageous men with Strength, Intelligence/Strategy just like any other street fight,

Last edited:

Arnab Banerjee

Numbers are important, especially in mountain warfare, armour and arty assets. But numbers along cannot convert to victory (a 24,000 strong garrison in Dacca surrendered to a 3000 strong brigade in Dec 1971).

Both technology and tactics. Remember the air war blitz of both the Gulf Wars - the Iraqis had no answer to the techological superiority of the allies.
thanks. that's what i want to know.

panduranghari

http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/defence-strategic-issues/17567-sagacity-sun-tsu.html

To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.

Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.

Build your opponent a golden bridge to retreat across.

He who knows when he can fight and when he cannot will be victorious.

All warfare is based on deception.

Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.

If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him.

Speed is the essence of war. Take advantage of the enemy's unpreparedness; travel by unexpected routes and strike him where he has taken no precautions.

To a surrounded enemy, you must leave a way of escape.

Management of many is the same as management of few. It is a matter of organization.

There is no instance of a nation benefitting from prolonged warfare.

Pretend inferiority and encourage his arrogance.

It is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you will not be imperilled in a hundred battles; if you do not know your enemies but do know yourself, you will win one and lose one; if you do not know your enemies nor yourself, you will be imperilled in every single battle.

Thus, what is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

One defends when his strength is inadaquate, he attacks when it is abundant

For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill.

A skilled commander seeks victory from the situation and does not demand it of his subordinates.

What the ancients called a clever fighter is one who not only wins, but excels in winning with ease.

When the enemy is at ease, be able to weary him; when well fed, to starve him; when at rest, to make him move. Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.

It is essential to seek out enemy agents who have come to conduct espionage against you and to bribe them to serve you. Give them instructions and care for them. Thus doubled agents are recruited and used.

A military operation involves deception. Even though you are competent, appear to be incompetent. Though effective, appear to be ineffective.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders of its own accord before there are any actual hostilities... It is best to win without fighting

The general who advances without coveting fame and retreats without fearing disgrace, whose only thought is to protect his country and do good service for his sovereign, is the jewel of the kingdom.

When torrential water tosses boulders, it is because of its momentum. When the strike of a hawk breaks the body of its prey, it is because of timing.

The general who wins the battle makes many calculations in his temple before the battle is fought. The general who loses makes but few calculations beforehand.

Now the reason the enlightened prince and the wise general conquer the enemy whenever they move and their achievements surpass those of ordinary men is foreknowledge.

All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved.

And therefore those skilled in war bring the enemy to the field of battle and are not brought there by him.

The good fighters of old first put themselves beyond the possibility of defeat, and then waited for an opportunity of defeating the enemy.

If words of command are not clear and distinct, if orders are not thoroughly understood, the general is to blame. But if his orders ARE clear, and the soldiers nevertheless disobey, then it is the fault of their officers.

The ultimate in disposing one's troops is to be without ascertainable shape. Then the most penetrating spies cannot pry in nor can the wise lay plans against you.

The quality of decision is like the well-timed swoop of a falcon which enables it to strike and destroy its victim.

Subtle and insubstantial, the expert leaves no trace; divinely mysterious, he is inaudible. Thus he is master of his enemy's fate.

Too frequent rewards indicate that the general is at the end of his resources; too frequent punishments that he is in acute distress.

Secret operations are essential in war; upon them the army relies to make its every move.

Arnab Banerjee

and telling your firing units ie Missiles artillerry or Air force should be MINIMUM

Otherwise the enemy will escape because the " targets of OPPURTUNITY " ie the Moving targets
then i think using satellite to locate enemy and shoot will be ideal way. radar can not locate enemy in a mountain area because of mountain reflect radar ray. satellite would be a great help in locating enemy in mountain area.what do you think?

Arnab Banerjee

then i think using satellite to locate enemy and shoot will be ideal way. radar can not locate enemy in a mountain area because of mountain reflect radar ray. satellite would be a great help in locating enemy in mountain area.what do you think?

Arnab Banerjee

missiles should be guided by satellite to ensure accuracy and precision. what do you think?

ejazr

Ambassador
I would just like to quote my favourite Sun Tzu quotes on this.

It is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you will not be imperiled in a hundred battles; if you do not know your enemies but do know yourself, you will win one and lose one; if you do not know your enemies nor yourself, you will be imperiled in every single battle.

For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill.

Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.

and

There is no instance of a nation benefitting from prolonged warfare.

Rahul92

Set up a Giant screen on border with Zaid hamid videos

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Comprehensive National Power as defined by the Chinese is what will indicate the chances of winning a war.

Comprehensive National Power (CNP) (Chinese: 综合国力; pinyin: zōnghé guólì) is a putative measure, important in the contemporary political thought of the People's Republic of China, of the general power of a nation-state. CNP can be calculated numerically by combining various quantitative indices to create a single number held to measure the power of a nation-state.

These indices take into account both military factors (known as hard power) and economic and cultural factors (known as soft power). CNP is notable for being an original Chinese political concept with no roots in either contemporary Western political theory, Marxism-Leninism, or pre-20th century Chinese thinking.

More at:

Comprehensive National Power - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles