Hindu scriptures heirarchy

dhananjay1

This is a very simplistic chart, but it's better to know this much than nothing at all. Various tantra-s are missing in the chart.

pmaitra

Informative image I found on Net

Ok, so this could be a great item to debate.

Is this hierarchy correct? If not, what is wrong or incorrect? What would be your hierarchy? Please share your views.

My view: An obvious fallacy is that Gita and Mahabharata are disjoint, when, actually, Gita is part of Mahabharata.

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag

Is this hierarchy correct? If not, what is wrong or incorrect? What would be your hierarchy? Please share your views.

My view: An obvious fallacy is that Gita and Mahabharata are disjoint, when, actually, Gita is part of Mahabharata.
Yes. But Gita is mainly a philosophical text and Mahabharata is allegedly historical. They are on the same horizontal plane though hence according to chart none holds precedence over the other.

Not many Hindus read Mahabharata though, I've heard it's inauspicious to have the text in a household even. :scared2:

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Yes. But Gita is mainly a philosophical text and Mahabharata is allegedly historical. They are on the same horizontal plane though hence according to chart none holds precedence over the other.
Mahabharata has quite a lot of philosophical expositions in it, from Gita to Vidura's Niti to Bhishma's lessons on the arrow bed etc.

Gita is supposedly at a higher pedestal because the words were uttered by an Avatar of the "God" himself (although everything was "channeled" by Sanjaya)

Pious believe it to be "historical", whilst rationalists believe it to be "mythological".

Not many Hindus read Mahabharata though, I've heard it's inauspicious to have the text in a household even. :scared2:
Mahabharata is not supposed to be kept at home because it causes "quarrels" but what about Mahabharata in a Digital format ? Do they cause internet flame wars ? J/K

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
Mahabharata has quite a lot of philosophical expositions in it, from Gita to Vidura's Niti to Bhishma's lessons on the arrow bed etc.
Gita is supposedly at a higher pedestal because the words were uttered by an Avatar of the "God" himself (although everything was "channeled" by Sanjaya)
Pious believe it to be "historical", whilst rationalists believe it to be "mythological".
Yeah, I think the deity effect plays it's part. Secondly, none of the characters of Mahabharata(except Krishna) were anything more than manav/rakshasas and hence we don't tend to revere them as much(as opposed to Ramayana).

Mahabharata is not supposed to be kept at home because it causes "quarrels" but what about Mahabharata in a Digital format ? Do they cause internet flame wars ? J/K
I think the same concept would apply.

How about an experiment? For science!

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
Once my Grand Father told me that the elites/rulers discouraged it to be kept at home because its was a such a great epic on state art and a revolutionary ideology with examples to unite people against injustice and crime against women. The real messages those could have channelized masses against ruler class were made lost in translation and taken over by mythical super humanly acts of heros and villans.

The point is there is no harm to keep that epic in one's home.

OT

The only turning point in that epic was when Lord Krishna was scolded by Lord Prashurama for indulging into Leela only and not working on how he has to bring political and social balance otherwise tilting in favour of power hungry mad ruler class. The sudarshan Chakra was handed over to him then, as he realized his duty. The chakra could have been a weapon or simply a shrewd political tactic (Vyuha) told to him on how to bring those heavy weights down. The story says Krishana was aware that Prashurama was on his way to meet him at his Gurukul he planned a visit with his brother Balrama, after many years of his graduation.

drkrn

mahabharata is an epic,while gita is a collection of poems unrelated to war,an art of living

pmaitra

mahabharata is an epic,while gita is a collection of poems unrelated to war,an art of living
I don't think Gita is unrelated to war. Remember Krishna explains how the human body is like garment, but the soul is eternal, that cannot be burnt, and that cannot be pierced, etc.?

drkrn

I don't think Gita is unrelated to war. Remember Krishna explains how the human body is like garment, but the soul is eternal, that cannot be burnt, and that cannot be pierced, etc.?
gita is to motivate arjuna towards his duty to fight.only 3 persons hanuman,vedavyasa and vidura saw it apart arjuna

drkrn

Saw what ? And Sanjaya too !
hanuman siting on the flag of arjunas ratha,vidura watching mahabharata sangrama while narrating to dhrutarashtra and vedavyasa who wrote bhagavadgita are the persons who saw the gita apart from arjuna

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles