Hi Everyone

RoYaL~GuJJaR

Welcome to DFI.

Is your surname Tanwar ?
Thanks Mate.

No its not Tanwar. I am not from 'Tanwar' Gotra but i have have friends who are Tanwar.

I use Choudhary as my Surname. And belong to 'Dedha' Gotra.

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
Welcome to DFI RG.
Do tell us more about yourself.

Is your surname Tanwar ?
AFAIK 'Tanwar' is used among Rajputs and some Jats around NCR.
In Rajasthan, the Gurjars are mostly concentrated in Marwar (Nagor) and Dausa districts.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Welcome to DFI RG.

In Rajasthan, the Gurjars are mostly concentrated in Marwar (Nagor) and Dausa districts.
Most of the Gujjars in Delhi are Tanwar.

And Tomar is used by Rajputs.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

RoYaL~GuJJaR

Welcome to DFI RG.
Thanks Virendra

Actually i am student, completed My Grad last year and have interest in defence, i have given CDS exam too but unfortunately didn't make it through, looking forward to do Masters now.

Actually 'Tanwar' is a gotra in Gujjar's too

Tanwar or Tomar (AnangPal, Famous Ruler of Delhi, was also a Tanwar)

Gurjars: GURJAR GOTRAS

List of Gurjar clans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
Most of the Gujjars in Delhi are Tanwar.

And Tomar is used by Rajputs.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Tanwar and Tomar both terms are in vogue among the Rajputs, for the same clan. They are Chandravanshis and are one of the 36 clans documented.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Tanwar and Tomar both terms are in vogue among the Rajputs, for the same clan. They are Chandravanshis and are one of the 36 clans documented.
Yeah Tomar and Tanwar are used interchangeably but IMO most of the gujjars use Tanwar and rajputs use Tomar.

Tomar are mostly from Up side AFAIK ?

Actually one of my gujjar associate told me that Tanwar gujjars settled in Delhi some 500 years ago from Rajasthan. Most of the 'villages' in Delhi are dominated by either Jaats or Tanwar gujjars.

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
Thanks Virendra

Actually i am student, completed My Grad last year and have interest in defence, i have given CDS exam too but unfortunately didn't make it through, looking forward to do Masters now.
Great .. good luck with the exams. We don't run exam consultations like PaGalGuy here yet but otherwise I'm sure you'll find enough defense discussion here. Food for thought.

Actually 'Tanwar' is a gotra in Gujjar's too
I agree. In fact even among Rajputs the same term 'Tanwar' is also used as a title. In that case the pronunciation of T changes to T as in Tomato.
It is used to address a Rajput boy whose great grand father is alive yet. For others in the hierarchy there are terms like:
Thakur
Kunwar
Bhanwar
By the way, Gurjars were the ruling aboriginals in many parts of Rajasthan before Rajputs colonized the area.
Rajputs have almost always had good bonding with the Gurjars and Meenas.
Although the latter two can't stand each other :D

Regards,
Virendra

RoYaL~GuJJaR

Yeah Tomar and Tanwar are used interchangeably but IMO most of the gujjars use Tanwar and rajputs use Tomar.
Thats almost accurate but their are Tomar Gujjars too but few in Numbers. Its mostly used by Rajputs.

Actually one of my gujjar associate told me that Tanwar gujjars settled in Delhi some 500 years ago from Rajasthan. Most of the 'villages' in Delhi are dominated by either Jaats or Tanwar gujjars.
In Delhi, mostly by Gujjars, jaats are basically in the NCR belt of Haryana

By the way "Dedha Gujjar's have 24 Villages in Delhi, second after Tanwar's.

Last edited:

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag

Reason for Delhi/NCR having Tomars/Tanwars in Jats or Rajputs or Gurjars is that dynasties like that of Anangpal Tomar ruled in Delhi/NCR region even before Chauhans came in. You would also find lot of Chauhans in Delhi/NCR, although their capital was Ajmer.

Actually in Rajasthan we even have a Rajput clan/branch called BarGurjars.
As per the Sikarwar Khyat, an offshoot of these BarGurjars called 'Sikarwar' Rajputs had laid a successful cavalry attack on Babur while his army was on move from Sikri village to Kanhua. This was done to facilitate the others enough opportunity in retreating and escaping Babur's wrath.
The leader Dham Dev Rao Sikarwar was a friend of Sanga and had also helped in taking heavily wounded Sanga away to safety after the main battle.

Regards,
Virendra

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Reason for Delhi/NCR having Tomars/Tanwars in Jats or Rajputs or Gurjars is that dynasties like that of Anangpal Tomar ruled in Delhi/NCR region even before Chauhans came in. You would also find lot of Chauhans in Delhi/NCR, although their capital was Ajmer.

Actually in Rajasthan we even have a Rajput clan/branch called BarGurjars.
As per the Sikarwar Khyat, an offshoot of these BarGurjars called 'Sikarwar' Rajputs had laid a successful cavalry attack on Babur while his army was on move from Sikri village to Kanhua. This was done to facilitate the others enough opportunity in retreating and escaping Babur's wrath.
The leader Dham Dev Rao Sikarwar was a friend of Sanga and had also helped in taking heavily wounded Sanga away to safety after the main battle.

Regards,
Virendra

Majority of chauhans in UP AFAIK.

Do you have any idea about Dahliwal ?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Welcome.

I think Pilot is Gujjar and his father took the name Pilot because he was an IAF pilot!

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles