Dubai's grand gurdwara brings religion, tradition alive in style

ejazr

Ambassador
Dubai's grand gurdwara brings religion, tradition alive in style | ummid.com

Dubai: Ornate 24-carat gold canopies for the Guru Granth Sahib religious text of Sikhism, Italian marble on the walls and floor, stunning chandeliers and a five-star kitchen - Dubai's first gurdwara is a grand realisation of the aspirations of 50,000 Sikhs in the UAE.

Gurunanak Darbar is a heady mix of spirituality, tradition, modernity, opulence and the determination of a man.

On entering the building, one is in awe of its sheer grandeur and the attention to detail. A sense of calm descends as strains of "Tu Prabh Daata," a popular 'kirtan' or devotional chants, fill the air.

As the ambience sinks in, NRI businessman Surender Singh Kandhari, the man behind the Sikh temple, walks in, urging devotees to use the lift instead of taking the stairs to the main prayer hall.

Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, the ruler of Dubai, who donated a piece of land in the Jebel Ali area for the gurdwara about six years ago, wanted it to be iconic. The opulent building is worth every bit of the 65 million Dirhams spent on it - a large part of it contributed by Kandhari himself.

"We didn't want to compromise on anything. It has the latest Italian marble and best lights. I told the contractor I want a 100-year guarantee for the building so that our future generations are able to utilise it," Kandhari told IANS in an interview.

"I told the ruler, 'Well, one can't surpass the Golden Temple.' But what we have is the most modern gurdwara in the world," said Kandhari, chairman of the Al Dobowi Group that manufactures and distributes automotive batteries and tyres.

The idea of the building was born 11 years ago with the growing need of a proper place of worship for the Sikhs, who until January this year shared space in the cramped temple premises in Bur Dubai.

The permission came through six years ago when the ruler of Dubai gave 25,400 sq feet of land to build the temple, said Kandhari.

On the grand opening of the gurdwara January 17, Kandhari compared Sheikh Mohammed, also the vice president of the UAE, to Muslim saint Hazrat Mian Mir, who had laid the foundation stone of the Golden Temple in Amritsar, the holiest shrine for Sikhs.

Six months on, as many as 10,000 people visit the temple with three floors of parking space on Fridays.

"On Baisakhi, we served food to around 40,000 people visiting the gurdwara," Kandhari said proudly, adding that several Pakistani Sikhs also come to offer prayers besides many Sindhis and Hindu Punjabis.

The state-of-the-art kitchen, which churns out food for devotees through the day every day, is worth a peek. It is complete with a dough-kneader, a chappati-maker and large dishwashers. And along with the rest of the building, the kitchen too is spotless.

Apart from a large carpeted prayer hall, there are three smaller rooms for private functions, a meditation room, a library and the spacious 'langar' or common kitchen hall.

Gurunanak Darbar is modelled on both the Golden Temple and the gurdwara in Southall, London. Interior designer Paul Bishop was sent to both these shrines "to get the feel" of gurdwaras.

To develop religious values among the next generation of NRIs, special three-hour sessions are held for children on Saturdays at the temple where they are taught Punjabi, 'Kirtans' and how to behave in places of worship.

"There are already 55 children attending these classes. All four of my grandchildren, one of them just two years old, go there," he said.

"The women are keen on sending their children to learn kirtans. When you are out of India, your desire to connect to your roots becomes stronger," he said.

Having grown up in Andhra Pradesh and later studying in Chennai's Loyola College, Kandhari admitted that he learned about his language and religion when he came to Dubai in 1976.

Thus, he understands the need for children to know about their culture in a foreign land.

"They can't learn without getting proper lessons. In Vijayawada, I had no one to teach me Punjabi. While in Loyola College in Madras, I used to go to church every Sunday. I started learning about Sikhism and Punjabi after coming to Dubai."

Although the NRI businessman had to borrow from friends to complete the gurdwara, he calls the income generated by it as "unbelievable".

He already has plans to use the money. "I want to build a hospital for the poor. Healthcare is so expensive in Dubai... Labourers living in camps nearby can't afford the high medical costs."

Kandhari says the gurdwara now attracts visitors from across the world.

"We have visitors from the UK, the US, France and Canada... They get surprised that in an Islamic country, we have the most modern gurdwara."

amitkriit

From WIKI:
Article 7 of the UAE's Provisional Constitution declares Islam the official state religion of the UAE. The government subsidises almost 95% of mosques and employs all Imams; approximately 5% of mosques are entirely private, and several large mosques have large private endowments.

Non-Muslim groups can own their own houses of worship, where they can practice their religion freely, by requesting a land grant and permission to build a compound. Groups that do not have their own buildings must use the facilities of other religious organisations or worship in private homes. Non-Muslim religious groups are permitted to openly advertise group functions; however, proselytising or distributing religious literature is strictly prohibited under penalty of criminal prosecution, imprisonment, and deportation for engaging in behaviour offensive to Islam.
Being an Islamic state, Dubai seems to be quite tolerant.

ejazr

Ambassador
Most GCC states have a number of either churches, synagogues and hindu temples even. I am talking about, Bahrain, Qatar, Kuwait and Oman here

Even Yemen has a single functioning Hindu temple and two others which have gone into disuse as the Indian migrants left after the end of the British rule there.

Here is a 2009 video of a pooja in Yemen temple

Ayyappa temple Pooja At Aden Yemen - YouTube

More info on Yemen here U.S. State Department's Report: Yemen Respected Religious Freedom  (Reports)

KSA ofcourse continues to be the only exception on public places of worship for non-muslims

KS

Bye bye DFI
^^ Kuwait, Bahrain do not have a single temple, atleast till I last visited in 2010. AFAIK only Oman and UAE have functioning temples inside GCC.

ejazr

Ambassador
^^^It depends on the expat community to lobby and get a place of worship established. I have been to Bahrain many times and there are definitely more than one official and unofficial Hindu temple and even Gurudwaras in Bahrain. On top of a large number of Churches and one or two Synagouges. If you search on youtube, you might find clips of Hindu temples in Bahrain.

US state dept. makes a note of this here from a report from 2005 Bahrain

Kuwait afaik doesn't have a Hindu temple but there are a number of Churches there including a large Indian orthodox Syrian church. There are also "house" temples and Gurudwaras that the Indian expat community use and there is no govt. interference in running these. Maybe in the future a proper temple or Gurudwara can be built

bender

It may be the Most modern Gurudwara but the Legacy That Golden Temple has n the history of Sikhs related with it, They can't can't surpass it in this era..........Respect Satnam Shri Waheguru
handmade furniture
bender

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles