DRDO Should Learn from United States’ DARPA So We Don’t Fight Tomorrow’s War With Yesterday’s Weapon

charlie

Country flag
If you really look into those high sensitive R&D fields, you will find most of these foreign background (including India) scientists only perform basic assistance role. Some Asian talents may reach the level of head of R&D team of non-critical sub-system. Westerners have very good policy of managing these foreign scientists - making sure they can't get experiences of complete system.
Nahh in my previous company I found guys who filed patents and they were not working non critical sub-system instead their clearance took half the time compared to other a letter from DOD can do wonders.

charlie

Country flag
You mean like the CEO of Microsoft? This never ending victimhood narrative is so boring already. But I know as a Chinese e it's your patriotic duty to villify America and the West.

Btw, Microsoft just won the contract to provide cloud services for the US military no?
I had a Chinese colleague who was smart as well but he was always afraid for some reason and always thought just because he is chinese he is not getting the proper treatment but again I was in the same boat it took us time to get clearence and we were not allowed in some of the facility it not just him. It's a company policy regarding all foreigners.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
If you have that victimhood mindset then every misfortune, shitty day, accident or just some skills mismatch gets immediately interpteted as deliberate policy to pin down Asians or worse racism.

You see wherever you go or whatever country you are in, in all big companies and organizations, especially the competitive ones the pool of talent available to them is normally disproportionate. Because they can afford it. So every employee must prove its mettle and always will come across organizational/office politics/fiefdom. So that's life. It's either you pushback, persevere and win or quit and blame others. In my case, I chose my own path. That's why I got out of employment early and put up my own professional practice and then later on business. It feels good to manahe your own time and people and at the same time satisfy some people's needs.

Anyway, I don't think these powerful Indians suffer any victimhood mindset:

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
There seems to be more Indian CEOs in big American companies than Chinese or is it just that Indian CEOs are mostly in tech companies who naturally are the biggest companies right now.

A graph of aberage houseld incomes of Asian Americans:

This graph still holds until now.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Well there are not many my well paid jobs in India Pvt sector. It’s not like they don’t produce enough engineers, take a look at US defence contractors you will find lot of Indians with Indian degrees.
You will also find those Indians getting American degrees before they get those jobs. DRDO needs to join the university system and create research programmes and guaranteed jobs for graduates of those programmes to stop the brain drain of them running abroad. Indians working for the US MIC isn't doing India any good, it is just helping them get further ahead.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Glaring example of Brain drain. What a loss.
Only 2 people have more patents than him. One of them is Thomas Edison
Just imagine if all of the patents created in the US by Indians had been created in India... that is the greatest national theft. All measures must be taken to stop this phenomena or India will continue to lag behind. India has the talent but it doesn't do them any good when they just give it away.

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
Just imagine if all of the patents created in the US by Indians had been created in India... that is the greatest national theft. All measures must be taken to stop this phenomena or India will continue to lag behind. India has the talent but it doesn't do them any good when they just give it away.
Generally in a patent application, there are names of all the people in the group, who have contributed to it. If the patent is granted, all of them is credited and not just the lead author. The IPR is shared among all of them.This is similar to any publication in a scientific journal. Hence even though this gentleman have his name in about 300 patents for GE, there are other people also who have contributed in those, and have their names in those patents. Hence if he was in India working for any company, the team surrounding him may not been same as in USA and he would not have access to scientific infrastructure for research as provided by GE. Hence his scientific/engineering output would not have been same if he was working in India, simply because science/engineering today, mostly is a team effort.
Having said that I would suggest that India creates an ecosystem to nurture local talent and attract overseas talent. This in turn requires huge investment. Otherwise forcing qualified scientist/engineers to stay in India, and not giving them suitable jobs, will waste their talent. For example, MSc, Mtech and PhD graduated candidates are applying for clerk/peon/sanitation worker type class 4 style jobs. This is much worse than brain drain, because in brain drain at least people who settle abroad are sending remittances in USD, to their family members, which is adding valuable forex to our economy. Corruption. favouritism and reservation have left the future many qualified candidates in the dark.

Last edited:
Reactions: Syd

mattster

Respected Member
Country flag
People who are not engineers, sometimes dont understand the nuances about patents and the whole patent mill syndrome that exists today.

For every major game changing patent, that same company filing that filed the patent may file another 10/20 or more patents based on the same idea but with a slightly different twist or application. Essentially all the other patents feed off the 1 important patent. This is how most individuals and companies rack up dozens, hundreds, or thousands of patents. I have seen patents granted for ideas and concepts that make me laugh. Most often less than 10% of the patents have any real substance.

It is not the quantity of patents granted that counts - its the quality of the patents.

In today's world there are many companies out there that try to patent anything and everything, even the most trivial stupid stuff. So counting the number of patents a company or individual has been granted does not say much.

vishnugupt

Country flag
This thread title itself says lots about " Inferiority complex, Gora must be right, Seeking recognition from white or masters, We are shit, We are doomed ( depression ) and lot more... Western institution studied third world countries and ridicule them but did anybody studies these prestigious westerns institute for how much in deep shit are they ??
DRDO doing far better then DARPA in 3 billion budgets. DRDO needs to fill the technological gap of decades and maintain present-day technological relevance. DRDO must have a role in the uplifting of Indian civilization like building bio-toilets. yes bio toilets
First, we need to fulfill the technological gap and build the base then DRDO defacto becomes a DARPA.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles