Does India lack a reliable missile delivery system, as compared with those of our foes?

Country flag
LF, I was thinking in the lines of having a TEL that is not an articulated trailer system, but a single piece truck.

A trailer based TEL

A truck that can serve as a TEL and is not articulated

We need to build trucks that can be used as TEL, without requiring a trailer hauled by a truck/tractor.
Many improvements coming in the missile program where this may not be issues

Rail transport, solid fuelled missiles and canisterization. I have heard rumors of silo based agnis near the Chinese border . All these things point to a maturation of the program.

I have said this many times ICBM and MIRV capability are only political decisions timed to get the biggest bang for the buck.

ARUN R

Many improvements coming in the missile program where this may not be issues

Rail transport, solid fuelled missiles and canisterization. I have heard rumors of silo based agnis near the Chinese border . All these things point to a maturation of the program.

I have said this many times ICBM and MIRV capability are only political decisions timed to get the biggest bang for the buck.
I think MIRVs are required for an assured annihilation, these enhance the ability to evade BMDs

The enlightened

I am pretty sure he knows what an MIRV is.
As clearly demonstrated here.

Mirv capability demonstrated by launching ten satellites at the same time
The thing is, we have demonstrated re-entry. We have also demonstrated multiple-satellite launch technology. So, it is reasonable to say that India can launch MIRV.
Good for you. But it is neither demonstrated (via a test), nor is it operational (as it isn't tested).
I don't want to beat a dead horse but I will agree we do not have an operational mirv.
Awesome.
Both would be good . Mega tonnage for land based missiles and numbers for SLBM's and cruise missiles.
We only need some kilotons for taking out enemy launchers and major population centres. Megatons would be useful for super-hardened installation. Other than that is more pomp than utility.
On Topic: The problem with China is that they have some thousand ballistic missiles armed with HE warheads. Now what do we do when they start flying over our heads. Press the red button or not? Because even if they lack a nuke warhead, an 1000lb HE warhead will destroy any nuke not under several metres of dirt.

Last edited:
Country flag
I think MIRVs are required for an assured annihilation, these enhance the ability to evade BMDs
Most mirv carry kilo ton warheads (3-10) used for precision strikes. Dummy warheads would also be there for evasion.

India's fissile material reserves rival both china and pakistan combined the nuclear material is thee if needed and fast breeders in the future will multiply these reserves. No need to be insecure.

ARUN R

India's fissile material reserves rival both china and pakistan combined the nuclear material is thee if needed and fast breeders in the future will multiply these reserves. No need to be insecure.
Fissile reserve is not a big thing to count on , what we need is delivery systems to transport the bombs to the enemy territory.

Country flag
Fissile reserve is not a big thing to count on , what we need is delivery systems to transport the bombs to the enemy territory.
Nuclear triad has been completed. Indian govt claims delivery capability by land,air and sea.

Would like to see long range bombers ( tupolov reportedly leased in the past? Unconfirmed)

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles