DFI - AV/Hi-Fi & Allied Gear Discussion Thread

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
Which one to buy? Isme bhi wireless ka latency/lag wala issue hota hai kya?
I had purchased the cheapest wired one :biggrin2: a frontech one which still runs fine. Though I barely get time to play.

Yeah, Wireless ones could have latency issue but I have no personal experience.
Btw, per discussion above, I spotted a AptX wireless earbud on Macworld. Bluetooth 5.0 Qualcomm chip + LDS antenna. Placed and order for the black version. Tech Specs and design aesthetics looks really appealing.

This one >> https://www.macworld.com/article/34...ound-quality-isnt-the-only-thing-going-f.html

They also have an LDAC version but it is in neckband form-factor, not fully wireless earbuds.
Looks decent...

Haldiram

Country flag
I purchased yamaha 1840 for 32.5K. Don't buy online as yamaha does not offer warranty for that. Also, tune the system yourself because the technician they sent to my place set it for unnatural base, so all explosions would create a cracking sound. Once tuned the sound is pre makkhan. The base rattles all my glassware and windows, which is pretty awesome for a 10 inch sub. 1840 also has a preamp out for active sub, so i may invest in an active sub this year.

I also intend to purchase an LDAC bluetooth receiver, but LDAC being propreitory sony tech, no other company is making it and sony only integrates LDAC codecs with their devices. So for the time being I play music from my Sony TV outputted through optical out. Also, sony restricts DSEE-HX to its phones and walkman players only.

Sony advantages:
DSEE-HX (for improving the sound quality of low bitrate mp3)
LDAC (bluetooth codec with near lossless audio, now made part of all android devices with bluetooth 5 and android 8 or above, but works only with sony bluetooth receivers / headphones)

Yamaha advantages
Gareebon ka bose :bounce:

Ehh, all 5.1 systems have a 5 channel stereo mode, if you want that.
@Twinblade just last year we had this conversation when LDAC was new. I had googled to search some LDAC earbuds back then and there weren't many options. This year Qualcomm has come up with a couple of hardware chips which can be used by third party earphone makers in their own branded earbuds. These are technically BT 5.0 chips + AptX codec, and not really LDAC but they match the throughput of lossless audio.

upload_2019-9-18_8-17-25.png

LDAC codec streaming rate is around 990kbps and BT 5 throughput is around 1.2 MB/ps so the hardware does not bottleneck the codec, like it did in BT 4.0 (700kbps) which forced them to use AptX (500kbps) instead of LDAC. These cunning cats are using Bluetooth 5.0 to match the throughput requirements of lossless files but unless there is LDAC on both, the transmitter and receiver, it isn't LDAC at all.

I also intend to purchase an LDAC bluetooth receiver, but LDAC being propreitory sony tech, no other company is making it
Just recently I found one earphone that has the LDAC receiver, which is 1MORE (the product seems to have no name, and only available in the US) >> https://usa.1more.com/products/1more-triple-driver-bt-in-ear-headphones

And these couple of LDAC wireless transmitters : Fiio https://www.fiio.com/player (M5, M6)

Thanks for introducing me to LDAC, I wasn't aware of it last year. I'll get the LDAC transmitter, but an LDAC receiver isn't available in the earbud format, so I got the AptX earbud. The 1MORE LDAC earphone mentioned above is a neckband type device which feels tacky to me.

Haldiram

Country flag

This one has high resolution wireless streaming (AptX, AptXHD, LDAC) to bluetooth earphones.

Haldiram

Country flag
Feature packed beast!(Fiio M6)

Exynos 7270 processor, dedicated DAC, dual mode bluetooth, Airplay, DLNA streaming, asynchronous DAC passthrough, AptX HD, LDAC streaming to wireless earbuds. Ya. Maula.

If only this had a place to put my SIM card, this would make a perfect phone. I wish modern expensive phones had at least these features as a default offering. Instead, the iPhone gets rid of 3.5mm jack and doesn't even support LDAC. That's taking humanity one step back.

upload_2019-9-26_18-27-22.png

A chauhan

Country flag
Feature packed beast!(Fiio M6)

Exynos 7270 processor, dedicated DAC, dual mode bluetooth, Airplay, DLNA streaming, asynchronous DAC passthrough, AptX HD, LDAC streaming to wireless earbuds. Ya. Maula.

If only this had a place to put my SIM card, this would make a perfect phone. I wish modern expensive phones had at least these features as a default offering. Instead, the iPhone gets rid of 3.5mm jack and doesn't even support LDAC. That's taking humanity one step back.

View attachment 38918
Bhai what kind of music you want to listen on it ?

Haldiram

Country flag
Bhai what kind of music you want to listen on it ?
Just the normal songs that one accumulates over time. All my music folders get scattered every time I change the phone or laptop, half of my files remain on the old hard disk, and the new ones I download remain on the new device. I'm going to collect all my songs from all my old hard discs and memory cards into a single memory card and put it on this music player.

I have a huge library of FLAC files downloaded on a portable hard disk but couldn't fit them or even play them on any of my phone. These are large files of lossless encoding (single song of 5 minutes is around 60 - 100 mb). Even VLC stutters while playing them on the laptop. Better to put them on a dedicated player, otherwise they will remain unused on the hard disk.

This player is built specially for lossless FLAC files + it has USB passthrough so when one connects this to the laptop via USB, the audio part for all the Youtube, Netflix, video games etc media played on the laptop gets sent to this dedicated chip for processing, instead of processing on the laptop's inbuilt audio processor (inbuilt audio tends to be low quality junk in general, just like VGA cards). This is like adding dedicated external sound card to your computer + it has wireless streaming so it can beam audio right into your home theater while gaming or Netflix, minus the headache of connecting HDMI cables every time.

It's like a centralized wireless music server for all the speakers in the house. Placed an order this evening, it's arriving tomorrow.

Last edited:

A chauhan

Country flag
Just the normal songs that one accumulates over time. All my music folders get scattered every time I change the phone or laptop, half of my files remain on the old hard disk, and the new ones I download remain on the new device. I'm going to collect all my songs from all my old hard discs and memory cards into a single memory card and put it on this music player.

I had a huge library of FLAC files downloaded on a portable hard disk but couldn't fit them on any of my phone memory cards. These are large files of lossless encoding (single song of 5 minutes is around 60 - 100 mb). Better to put them on a dedicated player, otherwise they will remain on the hard disk. Even VLC stutters while playing them on the laptop.

This player is built specially for lossless FLAC files + it has USB passthrough so when one connects this to the laptop via USB, the audio part for all the Youtube, Netflix, video games etc media played on the laptop gets sent to this dedicated chip for processing, instead of processing on the laptop's inbuilt audio processor (inbuilt audio tends to be low quality junk in general, just like VGA cards). This is like adding dedicated external sound card to your computer + it has wireless streaming so it can beam right into your wireless earbuds when taking it outdoors.

It also has wifi streaming and Airplay so it can stream audio to the smart TV and hometheater. It's like a wireless music server for all speakers in the house. No headache of connecting HDMI cables to speakers. Placed an order this evening, it's arriving tomorrow.

Justifiable !! :yo: I'll also think of purchasing it, but next year...

Haldiram

Country flag
Justifiable !! :yo: I'll also think of purchasing it, but next year...
They have a compact version sound card called K1 (- minus bluetooth function, or storage), which is equally fine. One can't store songs on it. It's for refining all your laptop audio playback through the chip before passing it on to your earphone/speakers. It's about 1.5 inches in length. Also refines mobile's sound when connected via micro-USB.

A chauhan

Country flag

I have a huge library of FLAC files downloaded on a portable hard disk but couldn't fit them or even play them on any of my phone. These are large files of lossless encoding (single song of 5 minutes is around 60 - 100 mb). Even VLC stutters while playing them on the laptop. Better to put them on a dedicated player, otherwise they will remain unused on the hard disk.

This player is built specially for lossless FLAC files + it has USB passthrough so when one connects this to the laptop via USB, the audio part for all the Youtube, Netflix, video games etc media played on the laptop gets sent to this dedicated chip for processing, instead of processing on the laptop's inbuilt audio processor (inbuilt audio tends to be low quality junk in general, just like VGA cards). This is like adding dedicated external sound card to your computer + it has wireless streaming so it can beam audio right into your home theater while gaming or Netflix, minus the headache of connecting HDMI cables every time.

It's like a centralized wireless music server for all the speakers in the house. Placed an order this evening, it's arriving tomorrow.

Has it arrived ? Give us a review... :)

Haldiram

Country flag
Has it arrived ? Give us a review... :)

Arrived. Here are my first impressions :

The screenshots on the internet don't do it justice. The device looks much bigger in photos. It is actually very petite. It's not much wider than my Pulsar keys and not longer than a portable mouse.

Sound quality :

Sound quality is a 20-25% jump from my previous setup, which was the Fiio K1, which was itself a good DAC (shown in the picture above). Comparing the sound quality side by side with-and-without the new DAC, it is easily a night-and-day difference when songs are played on this DAC vs without any DAC.

The tonality of the DAC is neutral/analytical i.e it decodes audio as it was recorded by the artist and doesn't add its own coloration to the music unlike most players which forcefully add extra bass and treble to make the song supposedly sound more "disco-like". This one adds no bias, so unless your earphone has some bias/coloration, you'll get a deep, rich, analytical sound that does not sound artificially boomy/or shrill. It has preset equalizers in case you wish to add coloration.

The USP for me was that the sound upgrade from moving from no-DAC to an entry level DAC is very drastic compared to moving from an older DAC to a premium DAC. Secondly, the nearest smartphone that has all the streaming features (LDAC, AptX HD) is the One+ 7, compared to that, this one is sitting at a competitive price point, so I don't have to upgrade my whole phone just for LDAC. Plus, no smartphone has the dedicated DAC that this one has. They all natively precess audio on the phone's Snapdragon processor.

The USB DAC needs drivers of Windows. It worked off the bat on Linux without any drivers. In the DAC mode, it switches to 48khz /24 bits (for context CD quality is 44khz/16 bits).

Testing was done on Meze Classic 12 earbuds (which are also neutral/analytical reference IEMs). All in all, very clean, deep, full bodied sound the way the original artist intended it to be heard while recording.

Some pleasant surprises :

The screen is IPS and has high DPI. I was expecting a half-decent resistive, buggy touch screen like most players have. The screen quality is better than Redmi Note 5.

It is running a custom made Android firmware made specially for this device. It has Wifi song transfer which saves me the trouble of USB transfer. I wasn't aware of this feature when I placed the order. I thought the Wifi was only for Wifi streaming/ Apple Airplay. I don't have an Apple device so this feature would have been otherwise useless for me. It also has Huawei's high-resolution lossless bluetooth codec (HWA), which is also useless for me. It has 5 preloaded music apps like Tidal, Moov, etc, which I've never heard off, also useless.

The only 2 features I needed were >> a premium DAC chip (ESS Sabre 9018Q2C, which is the same chip they use on their other models priced 300$), and a high resolution bluetooth transmitter chip for AptX/LDAC streaming (SAMSUNG S5N5C10B01-6330).

The SOC runs on Samsung Exynos 7270 processor. This is basically a khichdi device with components used from all over the world. Samsung processor chip from Korea, Qualcomm bluetooth AptX/HD codec from the US, LDAC codec from Japan, everything put together in China. There's hardly any 'Made in China' component in it. It's like a Github collaboration of hardware modules put together by a Chinese firmware writer.

I am waiting for the delivery of 1MORE wireless earbuds to test the quality of high-resolution bluetooth stream via AptX.

Last edited:

Haldiram

Country flag
The only 2 features I needed were >> a premium DAC chip (ESS Sabre 9018Q2C, which is the same chip they use on their other models priced 300$), and a high resolution bluetooth transmitter chip for AptX/LDAC streaming (SAMSUNG S5N5C10B01-6330).

The SOC runs on Samsung Exynos 7270 processor. This is basically a khichdi device with components used from all over the world. This is basically a khichdi device with components used from all over the world. Samsung processor chip from Korea, Qualcomm bluetooth AptX/HD codec from the US, LDAC codec from Japan, everything put together in China.
+ The DAC chip ESS Saber is from ESS tech (California) and HD IPS display is from LG. Fak! this is the ultimate Frankenstein monster!

A chauhan

Country flag
Arrived. Here are my first impressions :

The screenshots on the internet don't do it justice. The device looks much bigger in photos. It is actually very petite. It's not much wider than my Pulsar keys and not longer than a portable mouse.

Sound quality :

Sound quality is a 20-25% jump from my previous setup, which was the Fiio K1, which was itself a good DAC (shown in the picture above). Comparing the sound quality side by side with-and-without the new DAC, it is easily a night-and-day difference when songs are played on this DAC vs without any DAC.

The tonality of the DAC is neutral/analytical i.e it decodes audio as it was recorded by the artist and doesn't add its own coloration to the music unlike most players which forcefully add extra bass and treble to make the song supposedly sound more "disco-like". This one adds no bias, so unless your earphone has some bias/coloration, you'll get a deep, rich, analytical sound that does not sound artificially boomy/or shrill. It has preset equalizers in case you wish to add coloration.

The USP for me was that the sound upgrade from moving from no-DAC to an entry level DAC is very drastic compared to moving from an older DAC to a premium DAC. Secondly, the nearest smartphone that has all the streaming features (LDAC, AptX HD) is the One+ 7, compared to that, this one is sitting at a competitive price point, so I don't have to upgrade my whole phone just for LDAC. Plus, no smartphone has the dedicated DAC that this one has. They all natively precess audio on the phone's Snapdragon processor.

The USB DAC needs drivers of Windows. It worked off the bat on Linux without any drivers. In the DAC mode, it switches to 48khz /24 bits (for context CD quality is 44khz/16 bits).

Testing was done on Meze Classic 12 earbuds (which are also neutral/analytical reference IEMs). All in all, very clean, deep, full bodied sound the way the original artist intended it to be heard while recording.

Some pleasant surprises :

The screen is IPS and has high DPI. I was expecting a half-decent resistive, buggy touch screen like most players have. The screen quality is better than Redmi Note 5.

It is running a custom made Android firmware made specially for this device. It has Wifi song transfer which saves me the trouble of USB transfer. I wasn't aware of this feature when I placed the order. I thought the Wifi was only for Wifi streaming/ Apple Airplay. I don't have an Apple device so this feature would have been otherwise useless for me. It also has Huawei's high-resolution lossless bluetooth codec (HWA), which is also useless for me. It has 5 preloaded music apps like Tidal, Moov, etc, which I've never heard off, also useless.

The SOC runs on Samsung Exynos 7270 processor. This is basically a khichdi device with components used from all over the world. Samsung processor chip from Korea, Qualcomm bluetooth AptX/HD codec from the US, LDAC codec from Japan, everything put together in China. There's hardly any 'Made in China' component in it. It's like a Github collaboration of hardware modules put together by a Chinese firmware writer.

I am waiting for the delivery of 1MORE wireless earbuds to test the quality of high-resolution bluetooth stream via AptX.
That's great, since I have not used any such setup I don't know that much about it, but it appears to have clear sound, will consider it.

Have a good time with it :)

Haldiram

Country flag
That's great, since I have not used any such setup I don't know that much about it, but it appears to have clear sound, will consider it.

Have a good time with it :)
Both the devices are reference IEMs hence the tonal neutrality. Compared to that, the JBL, Sony, Sennheiser sound more boomy and muddled. The earphones add their own mirch-masala on top of the original song to make it sound more boom boom. This muddles the other instrument details and singer's voice in the song. Most consumers seem to enjoy that sort of disco-type sound so earphone makers tune their hardware that way. It just ruins the song.

I've bought this DAC for the wireless earbuds which have still not arrived. Today 1MORE reduced the price drastically on their site. From 9000 to straight 5000. I had placed an order at 5500 using Banggood's discount coupon. It's in transit since 2 weeks now. If I'd have bought at the original price and then it fell 50% I'd have lost it. Earphone hai ya stock market hai, jo ek hafte me 50% gir gaya :D

upload_2019-9-28_21-43-9.png

Assassin 2.0

Country flag
@A chauhan @Haldiram

Guy's i go this Sony GN-100D this is 15-20 years old but the problem is amplifier of this system is totally dead to bring this system alive indian (local) amplifier worth 4k-5k will be required do you guy's think it's worth to get this system alive? Speakers were fine when i used it last time.

Whats your suggestion.
Thanks.

Attachments

Last edited:

Haldiram

Country flag
@A chauhan @Haldiram

Guy's i go this Sony GN-100D this is 15-20 years old but the problem is amplifier of this system is totally dead to bring this system alive indian (local) amplifier worth 4k-5k will be required do you guy's think it's worth to get this system alive? Speakers were fine when i used it last time.
Thanks.
Worth it. The speakers are good quality and have enough life span left in them. Worth it to invest 4-5k to extend the life of the speakers. 180W RMS I guess? it costs around 26k to get speakers of that quality at today's rate.

I have a similar 15 year old setup from Sony DAV-DZ120k, and the amplifier unit went out last month. I'm looking for options to replace the amplifier. Let me know which one you get. I was searching for one with bluetooth, just for future proofing it; Didn't find anything, then forgot about it.

Assassin 2.0

Country flag
Worth it. The speakers are good quality and have enough life span left in them. Worth it to invest 4-5k to extend the life of the speakers. 180W RMS I guess? it costs around 26k to get speakers of that quality at today's rate.

I have a similar 15 year old setup from Sony DAV-DZ120k, and the amplifier unit went out last month. I'm looking for options to replace the amplifier. Let me know which one you get. I was searching for one with bluetooth, just for future proofing it; Didn't find anything, then forgot about it.
One more question.
REAR (RMS)
70W x 2

P.M.P.O.
8400W

FRONT (RMS)
170W x 2

SUBWOOFER (RMS)
210W

TOTAL RMS
760W

CENTER (RMS)
70W

Specifications of that system

To power this how much of rms amplifier i would need. ( I'm noob in all this)

@A chauhan

Last edited:

Haldiram

Country flag
One more question.
REAR (RMS)
70W x 2

P.M.P.O.
8400W

FRONT (RMS)
170W x 2

SUBWOOFER (RMS)
210W

TOTAL RMS
760W

CENTER (RMS)
70W

Each speaker in the 5.1 unit has a different RMS based on its role. The printed RMS rating on the box is usually the highest RMS of the front speakers i.e 170W. The RMS of other speakers is calculated on the basis of that rating i.e surround sound speakers = 50% of RMS of front speakers, and sub-woofer = RMS of front speaker + 30%.

When you get a 5.1 channel 170W amplifier, the circuitry will take care of sending the correct wattage to the rest of the speakers. Just need to get the highest wattage of the front speakers right while picking the Amp.

Sony DAV S500 and Sony TA-WR2 will work for it. Both are dedicated 5.1 channel amps.

A chauhan

Country flag
One more question.
REAR (RMS)
70W x 2

P.M.P.O.
8400W

FRONT (RMS)
170W x 2

SUBWOOFER (RMS)
210W

TOTAL RMS
760W

CENTER (RMS)
70W

@A chauhan
That's quite loud, no one needs more RMS than this, it's really worth to bring it alive. Forget PMPO. Actually in my experience 60 watt @8ohm X2 front speakers are more than enough.

Btw @which impedance these RMS figures are quoted, 8ohm or 4ohm ?

Assassin 2.0

Country flag

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles