Contemplating Atkin's Diet plan

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
well from being a sportsperson who played cricket for his school to a person whose life became sedentary meant lots of weight put on. well add to this a bad back.

A cousin of mine who was in A worse shape than me in another city came down to Bangalore. Could not believe my eyes when I saw him. A 5'5" boy who weighed over 110 kgs was visibly thinner. Asked him the secret and he said Atkin's Diet along with exercise.

So I have been reading up on this Atkin's Diet & seriously contemplating it from monday .

Any help is welcome

JBH22

I have a simple theory to maintain thing figure.

Input and Output should be same :p

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Back after a month here. And much lighter. Started with Atkins on the 1st of Jan. I am 5'8" and I was 92 kgs (202lbs). I checked my weight last Monday and I was down 11 kgs (24 pounds). Lost 6 kgs in the first week and then around 1 kg per week since. I am still following induction phase diet. Still have quite a way to go to about 67 kgs (147lbs) corresponding to a BMI of 23 that I want to achieve.

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
??????? Didn't get
I mean 6kgs in 1 week translates to around 42000 calories lost. Thats an average of 6000 calories in one day. Is it healthy to lose that much?

2 kgs a week sounds reasonable.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
My bad back has not allowed me to go for walk. I might have lost even more if I had.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
I mean 6kgs in 1 week translates to around 42000 calories lost. Thats an average of 6000 calories in one day. Is it healthy to lose that much?

2 kgs a week sounds reasonable.
Well they say water weight. I don't know. I didn't give up on eating well. Just changed what I ate from regular diet. No rice, roti, dal, potatoes etc. chicken and greens is what I have

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
Well they say water weight. I don't know. I didn't give up on eating well. Just changed what I ate from regular diet. No rice, roti, dal, potatoes etc. chicken and greens is what I have
Yeah, its alright as long as one doesn't lose muscle weight I guess.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
Its not healthy to lose weight so fast. IIRC, at best you can have an energy deficiency of 500-1000Kcal/day. I think the plan should be to reduce 1-2 Kg a week:notsure:

Anything more is very risky and unhealthy!

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
Water is very important part of the body YB. Dont lose weight too fast-its disasterous for health. IT can lead to electrolyte imbalances, ketosis etc :truestory:

spikey360

Crusader
Country flag
Yeah. Just keep exercising.
Run, if possible. Do sit ups. You'll lose most of the extra weight.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Water is very important part of the body YB. Dont lose weight too fast-its disasterous for health. IT can lead to electrolyte imbalances, ketosis etc :truestory:
Atkins works on Ketosis. I am in a Ketosis state to burn fat.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
Atkins works on Ketosis. I am in a Ketosis state to burn fat.
Yeah but there are other side effects too. Like, loss of peri-renal pad of fat. It can cause devastating complications-like plunging of kidneys. Its not healthy to lose fat at that rate...

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Atkins does work, but lack of carbs makes it hard to stay on diet as well as make you feel weak/lethargic.

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
The Atkins "diet" is very unhealthy and unsustainable over the long term. In addition, it is totally unscientific. Check this out:

BBC Story about Low Carb Dieting - Part 1 - YouTube

BBC Story about Low Carb Dieting - Part 2 - YouTube

But man, you lost 6 kg in one week?!! That's amazing.....but then again, the more you weigh, the more you lose initially. I lost an average of 4 kg a month when I went on a diet last year, in spite of combining it with 4 days a week of 45 min cardio and eating only around 1500 kcal daily. But I wasn't starting from 92 kg either.

My advice is to exercise hard in the gym while eating a low calorie diet high in protein and complex carbohydrates but low in fat. You need to do both resistance training and cardio to ensure that you don't end up being "skinny fat".

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Yeah but there are other side effects too. Like, loss of peri-renal pad of fat. It can cause devastating complications-like plunging of kidneys. Its not healthy to lose fat at that rate...
I am losing about a kg a week after the first week loss of 6 kgs.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Atkins does work, but lack of carbs makes it hard to stay on diet as well as make you feel weak/lethargic.
I don't deal weak or lethargic. On the contrary I am feeling quite energetic.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
The Atkins "diet" is very unhealthy and unsustainable over the long term. In addition, it is totally unscientific. Check this out:

BBC Story about Low Carb Dieting - Part 1 - YouTube

BBC Story about Low Carb Dieting - Part 2 - YouTube

But man, you lost 6 kg in one week?!! That's amazing.....but then again, the more you weigh, the more you lose initially. I lost an average of 4 kg a month when I went on a diet last year, in spite of combining it with 4 days a week of 45 min cardio and eating only around 1500 kcal daily. But I wasn't starting from 92 kg either.

My advice is to exercise hard in the gym while eating a low calorie diet high in protein and complex carbohydrates but low in fat. You need to do both resistance training and cardio to ensure that you don't end up being "skinny fat".
I read quite a bit about it before I started. Atkins produces scientific studies to show its good as well.
Te thing is, I had to lose some weight. I will progress to phase 4 in due course which allows carb intake and I will customize it to my taste and requirement. I mean I will control it but not restrict it like Atkins suggests. For the moment I need to lose a lot of weight.

The other thing is that my chronic bad lower back didn't allow me to exercise either. I went on a job for a coue of days and got bed ridden coz of back inflamation. My bad back is because if my weight. I am feeling better since dropping weight but still not risking a jog yet. I will start in a week I think.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles