China objects to oil hunt, India says back off

JayATL

So being that I've been a dampener on the confidence of India doing anything.

But after some thought- I'll give my opinion for what its worth :) to how India can win in this situation.

Some steps have to be taken fairly quickly once an agreement between Viet/ India is in place.

1. Try to to win the world bodies opinion ( majority) - It will at least shine the limelight on the impending issue even if you don't get that Lousy UN to do anything about it.

2. make it clear to the Chinese like they have now about India's objections-- but repeat , rinse and keep the issue alive that India will not stand for any aggressive or hostile move like cutting off cables

3. Be prepared to safe guard the area and if need be shoot first warning shots at any Chinese ships approaching that area...and if need be sinking it ( last resort but must be done- why?--- because you know how we all heard and read that when a bully gets smacked back, they at least know they get hit if they try it again. example: N Korea, why does S Korea take their crap? because they fear the leader is a nut job , even though S Korea has US backing it up. so India be the mad man in this situation

4. Already doing this- arm Vietnam to the hilt and get a permanent base there or at least 50 year agreement.

5, be ready to start a blockaid of chinese ships in the indian ocean claiming absurd rights just like they do in south China.

Last edited:

captonjohn

Country flag
i just dont understand why do you indians hate chinese so much?why do you people favour vietnam so much?what will india gain from the involvement in the dispute of south china sea.i know some indian friends are still grinding with the current territory and the short cross-fire in the last century between two countries.but looking back the relationship of india-sino,we have to admit that both of countries had a good attitude towards each other before the european coming.no matter the later split of old india or the war with pekistan,there is really not supposed to count them as chinese responsibity.even in the period of two countries' border conflict,as the winer,PLA has restrictly obeyed the internation law to treat indian captives,doing nothing inhuman like what japanese did on chinese peole.
The answer is simple, that is - "Stop arming our enemy Pakistan or be prepared for more harder situations from Indian side".

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
well let's give goi a chance shall we - after all the goi respnse in 1967 was not the same as in 1962 - they have shown that they can change , albeit a bit slow for some ( of us ) . But let's wait and see onthis one - so far they have played their cards pretty well considering both the french and the brits ( BP ) have backed off in the past , it seems goi is not quite that scaredycat , infact they are holding firm .

Give em a chance is what i'd say , hopefully it could be a turning point

and i can see the difference between beig tough at the LOC as compared to toughing it out in SCS .

vanwilder

i'd like to iterate that chinese don't hold against indian people at all.checking through all of chinese military forum, you will see none of them opening exclusive column for indian. because we dont deem india as our rival,at least, we dont see you people as our enemy.sure, the relationship between pak and sino is better than india and china 's,but which comes from the need of keeping balance of national surrounding secure.on the hand of weapons import,india gets favour from russia, you always gets more advanced weapons than china does.sure that's out of consideration of Russian benefits too.so, dont be narrow, india focuses on indian ocean, making the indian ocean naval dream,we never ever go against you this ambition.but please don't extend your hands to south china sea ,that's a dangerous game.

Last edited:

pmaitra

i'd like to iterate that chinese don't hold against indian people at all.checking through all of chinese military forum, you will see none of them opening exclusive column for indian. because we dont deem india as our rival,at least, we dont see you people as our enemy.sure, the relationship between pak and sino is better than india and china 's,but comes from the need of keeping balance of surrounding secure.on the hand of weapons import,india gets favour from the russia, you always gets more advanced weapons than china does.sure that's of consideration of Russian benefits too.so, dont be narrow, india focuses on indian ocean, making the indian ocean naval dream,we never ever go against you this ambition.
We are operating in Vietnamese waters with permission and cooperation of Vietnam. I think PRC should sit back and relax. While they are at it, they can consider handing over Aksai Chin and Shaksgam back to India. That would convince us of PRC's benevolence.

nimo_cn

Country flag
Hey Nimo,
Do you just oppose economic activity like exploration stuff
If the so-called economic activity happens in Chinese waters, we should oppose.

or even transit through those waters. For example the waters between Spratlys and Parcel islands. Territorial limits are only upto a dozen nautical miles right?
No one will deny you the right to pass through international waters, we are opposing oil exploration within waters claimed by China.

pmaitra

If the so-called economic activity happens in Chinese waters, we should oppose.

No one will deny you the right to pass through international waters, we are opposing oil exploration within waters claimed by China.
If every time someone starts doing something in the seas, PRC jumps in with a claim, then we have to but ignore PRC. We need to have our military stationed there, just to force PRC to think twice before doing something silly, in other words 'power projection.'

nimo_cn

Country flag
We are doing it as we speak. Take this as a notification.
Show me proof you are doing it. All you can prove is you are talking.

When you actually navigate an exploration ship there, that is actually doing, just like we are actually building infrastructure for Pakistan in Kashmir.

Country flag

When you actually navigate an exploration ship there, that is actually doing, just like we are actually building infrastructure for Pakistan in Kashmir.
Two blocks were bought today by 2 different Indian oil companies expanding operations

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...about-oil-exploration/articleshow/9999879.cms

He said ONGC Videsh has been in Vietnam for quite sometime in offshore oil and natural gas exploration field and that they were in the process of expanding cooperation and operation and Essar, a subsidiary of Essar Oil, has also been awarded a gas block in Vietnam.

pmaitra

What I meant is we are in the process of finalising this exploration. Yes, right now, AFAIK, ships are probably not there, but the overall process, diplomatic and military, has rolled off already.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles