China must recover territory 'looted' by neighbours, said PLA General

neo29

A General of China's People's Liberation Army (PLA) called on the Chinese government to take a more aggressive line in its foreign policy as well as recover territory "looted by neighbours," in an essay that was published in the official media only two days before Premier Wen Jiabao's arrival in India.

"The neighbouring area is not peaceful, and we have outside threats," wrote Major General Luo Yuan, who is also the deputy secretary-general of the Chinese Academy of Military Sciences, in an essay published in the official Global Times, a Chinese newspaper known for its nationalistic views.

China, he said, could not call itself "a strong nation" unless it "recovered the land looted by neighbours."

While the essay did not name India or specific territorial disputes and only issued a general call for Chinese society to become more militaristic, the Communist Party-run Global Times agreeing to publish the general's comments on neighbouring countries only days ahead of Mr. Wen's arrival in New Delhi could not be ignored, diplomatic sources and analysts said.

His view, according to them, signalled the marked difference between the PLA's views and the stated "peaceful rise" position often publicly articulated by Chinese diplomats and officials. While PLA officers usually do not issue public statements on foreign policy, the PLA, unlike other militaries, has a significant influence on formulating foreign policy, analysts say.

Major General Luo's essay is thought to have reflected views within the military that China's military modernisation, as well as its influence, had not kept pace with the country's economic progress.
'Unsolved issue'

"China's gross domestic product is close to the second in the world, but we have not even solved the issue of national unification," Major General Luo said, according to a report in the South China Morning Post. "We have not recovered the land looted by our neighbours."

The past three decades of peaceful development, he said, had led to "some army personnel becoming slack" and "too accustomed to this comfortable pacifism." Chinese policy needed to be more aggressive.

"But aggression does not mean that one likes war," he said. "It is a means of deterrence."

Major General Luo is regarded as a particularly nationalistic and divisive figure, even calling on China to sell its holding of United States treasury bonds to protest arms sales to Taiwan — a suggestion dismissed by the government.

He is, nevertheless, seen as reflecting views widely held within the military.
'Potential dangers'

Obliquely questioning China's official "peaceful rise" policy mantra, Major General Luo wrote: "It seems some people like to resort to peaceful means to all questions. [But] We have to think of potential dangers in times of peace. Our neighbouring situation is not good. We have threats from foreign countries, and our country is still not unified."

Ties between the Indian military and the PLA are particularly strained. At present, India has no contact with the PLA, with defence exchanges being suspended after the PLA voiced objections in July to hosting the head of the Indian Army's Northern Command, saying he was in charge of the "sensitive" region of Kashmir.

The joint communiqué issued after Mr. Wen's recent visit to India, for the first time in several years, had no mention of military-to-military ties or defence exchanges, as is the usual practice.

http://idrw.org/?p=1935

niharjhatn

"But aggression does not mean that one likes war," he said. "It is a means of deterrence."
Haha - just like in 1962, right?

I just think the CCP/Chinese military is angry that the growth of China's respect and prestige in the world - even in Asia - has been disproportionate to it's economic growth. But with articles like this it is not hard to see why. If there's one point to take, it highlights that China can never be viewed as anything but a suspicious neighbour.

kickok1975

This is General Luo you refer to, Neo 29

His current job is instructor/teacher in Chinese military&Science academy for doctor degree students. He is not working in active duty military force but spend a lot of time on military commentator for a variety of TV stations political program (make decent money though). There are several generals like him whoese main task is to work with TV station to get a better audience rating. lol.

He got famous because of some exciting speeches that in compliance with nationalism some young people hold. He is also indirectly accusing China's current policy are too soft and advocating a stronger and more aggressive military force, which is always popular sentiment among most countries.

Even he is a major general, his ranking is relatively low and remotely away from China's military central command committee. One should judge if his words are really reflection of China's policy. Indian friends here should act more confidently instead of like "suspicious neighbour" you accused.

Last edited:

jayz india

come get it then,quit cryin for god sake n show some balls for real.otherwise you people r only good for giving stapled visas and making incursions when there r no active soldiers in the area

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
There are bound to be hawks and adventurists in every country, all over the world. We need not take this too seriously, BUT, we must be ready for any eventuality. All we need to do is maintain a state of constant preparedness, without any chest thumping or making a big noise.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
The Chinese General cannot be faulted for his commentary.

He is merely expressing the general feeling wherein any suggestion of foreign superiority, or even condescension, toward Chinese intersects with their own sense of historical victimization and insecurity to create a volatile chemistry.

A particularly important element in the formation of China's modern identity has been the legacy of the country's "humiliation" at the hands of foreigners, beginning with China's defeat in the Opium Wars in the mid-nineteenth century and the shameful treatment of Chinese in America. The process reached an understandable high point with Japan's successful industrialization and subsequent invasion and occupation of China during World War II, which was in many ways psychologically more devastating than Western interventions, because Japan was an Asian power that had succeeded in modernizing, while China had failed.

In the early twentieth century, a new literature, with a new historical narrative to match, arose around the idea of bainian guochi, "100 years of national humiliation." By taking up its own victimization as a theme and making it a fundamental element in its evolving collective identity, China ensured that certain traits would express themselves again and again as it responded under stress to the outside world. Highlighting their country's history as a victim of foreign aggression led Chinese leaders to rely on what Gries calls "the moral authority of their past suffering." Indeed, China's suffering at the hands of foreigners became a badge of distinction, especially during the period in the 1960s in which non-Western countries vied with one another to appear the most "oppressed" by imperialism, and thus the most incipiently revolutionary.

This type of psyche clouds the Chinese thought to imagine that areas around China were sometimes China. That is why they annexed Tibet, and having done so, imagine that part of Vietnam is theirs, so is Arunachal and so is the sea and island far beyond their shores.

A sort of crass megalomania that is quite a sick mindset, for which they can be forgiven, but not at the expense of their running wild in expansionist dreams around Asia!

Last edited:

StarShip Enterprise

How can you say not take it seriously.
There has to be some sort of protest and counter statements registered from our intelligentsia discouraging such adventurous attitude.
This shying-away attitude is what has brought as where we are now.
Our problem is neither our politicians have backbone for it nor the time to actually be aware of such articles coming forth from across the border.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
PLA is flexing its muscles too early. Japan is reorienting its forces from facing north towards Russia now facing south towards China and has re-approached the US as a key ally. SK is arming to the teeth, while not directed at China it is always in the back of their minds. Taiwan is modernising and even developed their own cruise missiles. Vietnam is on a multi-billion spending spree in Russia and begun exercising with the US. India is placing far more forces on the border and will have 5th gen fighters and more carriers than China.

The whole time Chinese generals are shaking their sticks, PLAAF is only getting one new squadron of aircraft a year as they have to wait on Russian engines and radar. Naval construction is at its lowest level in 15 years and Russian acquisitions have ceased. They still have no sea based nuclear deterrent. Very few units of the PLA have actually been modernised with all that fancy parade equipment. China is a long way from a modernised force to be feared while the acquisitions of her neighbours combined dwarf theirs by several factors.

niharjhatn

Great post Ray!

But not to sound disrespectful or anything, but you act like China is the only Asian nation that has been abused by foreign powers. India too has been continually taken advantage of, and not only in the Colonial years. Yet we hardly have military leaders unnecessarily making comments that naturally will stir up some suspicion overseas.

Especially since the media IS censored in China, and that this was published in CCP-controlled media, it seems as if CCP is sanctioning, or at least, purposely turning a blind eye to such a message.

badguy2000

Respected Member
Great post Ray!

But not to sound disrespectful or anything, but you act like China is the only Asian nation that has been abused by foreign powers. India too has been continually taken advantage of, and not only in the Colonial years. Yet we hardly have military leaders unnecessarily making comments that naturally will stir up some suspicion overseas.

Especially since the media IS censored in China, and that this was published in CCP-controlled media, it seems as if CCP is sanctioning, or at least, purposely turning a blind eye to such a message.
well, it seems that in your eyes there is no censorship in India and west medias'..hahah..what a joke...why my posts on rediff disppear?? why are My replyies missing in NYT?

guy, I myself can feel how free the india medias and west medias are !

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
How can you say not take it seriously.
There has to be some sort of protest and counter statements registered from our intelligentsia discouraging such adventurous attitude.
This shying-away attitude is what has brought as where we are now.
Our problem is neither our politicians have backbone for it nor the time to actually be aware of such articles coming forth from across the border.
My statement is:

A sort of crass megalomania that is quite a sick mindset, for which they can be forgiven, but not at the expense of their running wild in expansionist dreams around Asia!

Forgiven, but not running wild!

Therefore, the sum total is we can chill out,(not get unduly hot behind the collar) but at the same time, not let them run wild!

SHASH2K2

well, it seems that in your eyes there is no censorship in India and west medias'..hahah..what a joke...why my posts on rediff disppear?? why are My replyies missing in NYT?

Kind of comments that you make shows wisdom of Chinese people. Off course they cannot let their own people feel inferior to great quality of your comments . your comments start from no where and also ends at nowhere . :emot15:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Great post Ray!

I don't feel that they are the sole abused nation by foreign powers.

They (the Chinese) feel so.

It is not quite the case that Indian Generals do not cause other nations to worry. There are many Chiefs whose statements (very innocuous statements) have made Pakistan's spine go cold!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Maybe they did not understand the English and thought it was a spam!

You are more agreeable than Arundhuti Roy or Varavara Rao. Not only do they write articles, but are allowed to have seminars to criticise India, and carry on seditious activities for that matter. Much worse than your Liu Xiabo!

Last edited:

niharjhatn

If you are wondering about censorship, try to search Tiananmen Square massacre and tell me whether it exists according to the Great Firewall. LOL your posts 'disappear' as no-one is interested in the obviously insulting and derogatory remarks you made - posts on those sites are moderated. Journalists are essentially allowed to report what they want without consulting with their government first.

Illusive

Country flag
I think by that statement he means what China did to Japan by blocking important raw materials in the incident that happened few months ago. In India's case it would be POK(GB) region where they are building a transit to help better trade and free military movement.

Clearly this kind of policy will only backfire China. It won't be far away when there would be 2 unions in Asia which will only divide it. China is key to the stability of Asia(well most part of it).

Some Chinese members may say that this general doesn't represent the actual Chinese policies, well the world already got a hint when you guys over-reacted when nobel price was given to 1 of your own citizen by threatening other countries to boycott the event or face Chinese displeasure.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-11701725
http://www.swedishwire.com/nordic/7...n-countries-stay-away-from-the-nobel-ceremony

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag

Since when are Indian and Western media disposed to listen to you? Give them a newsworthy story and I am sure they will be glad to listen. All I have to do is start a thread here about Falun Gong or Tibetan independence to see Jing Jing and Cha Cha come and block you from this website.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
China's economy will go on a suicide mission if it attempts to "take back the looted territory" simply because China already has others' territory into its province and claims more and more and somehow the Communist history magically keeps expanding as an "ancient history of China". :3: It would be an Asia wide warzone to try something like this. I appreciate the general's eagerness to test his military but he shouldn't try that around his neighbourhood.

If he really is interested in testing his soldiers, let him send them to Afghanistan for counter-terrorism or Uzbekistan (an SCO member) where Islamist terrorism is high and Uzbek government is suffering from it.

Oracle

The thing is even with the 2nd largest economy, can China try something stupid? I think not. OTOH, the lady doth protests too much me thinks!

Global Defence

New threads

Articles