China Making Money Outta Budha

sorcerer

Country flag
Buddha for money
Look at what has happened to this old temple in China!
It reminds me of one posting on this blog Château Lafitte for Dinner?
Most of the bottles of Bordeaux wine of the renown Chateau Lafitte's vineyard were fake.
I had quoted an article explaining: "Lafitte is a trademark not registered in Mainland China. Château Lafitte Rothschild, a wine estate in France, produces 15,000 to 25,000 cases of wine annually, or about 200,000 bottles. China's annual quota of Lafite wine imported from France is only 50,000 bottles. However, the annual sale of Lafite in China exceeds 3 million bottles, meaning 80 to 90 percent of Lafite sold in China is fake. In less than 10 years, the price of Lafite has risen 857%."
I have the impression that the Buddha's relics are like the Chateau Lafitte's bottles. There are too many to be authentic.

This article in The South China Morning Post is however worrying for the Lumbini project which is in the process of being taken over by some Chinese businessmen. Two years ago, I wrote Mega Chinese project in Lumbini? on this blog.

And what about the 'famous' Nalanda University of Amartya Sen? The only foreign donor seems to be the Chinese government which pledged 1 million US dollars. It is also worrying.
Chinese are good at many things (infrastructure along their expansible 'borders' for example), but running Buddhist institutions is not their expertise. It is normal they believe in an atheist faith.

Ancient Buddhist temple in China bogged down by fake monks and debt
South China Morning Post
Patrick Boehler
May 12, 2013,
A provincial city's ambitious plans for turning an ancient Buddhist temple near Xian into the world capital of Buddhism and listing it on a stock exchange have stagnated, leaving the temple surrounded by fake monks and sham Buddha statues.
In an investigative report, the Guangzhou-based Southern Weekly documents how the project involving the 1,700-year-old Famen Temple in Shaanxi province – which boasts the ownership of Buddha's finger bone – went horribly wrong.
Now, fake monks from Hubei province roam a nearby scenic park that opened in 2009 and that tourists and pilgrims mistaken as part of the temple. The impostors get commission for collecting donations to the Shaanxi Famen Charitable Foundation.
But clueless visitors do not know the foundation is a front for the operating company of the park, Shaanxi Famen Temple Scenic Park Cultural Industrial Group, and is not related to the temple, the weekly reported last week.
Still the company is not collecting enough donations to make a profit, despite plans to be publicly listed. Last year, it had to take on 320 million yuan (HK$398 million) in debt. In 2011, it already had to borrow some 107 million yuan, according to the report.
The project had started in 2002, when the local government, only a two-hours' drive west of the provincial capital Xian, decided on betting on the temple's stature for economic development and windfall profits from rising real estate prices.
In 2004, the city approved to commission the Taiwanese architect CY Lee to build the world's tallest stupa, a worthy landmark for its ambitious project. Lee had just completed Taipei 101 in Taiwan, which at the time was the world's tallest building.
Silent opposition against the massive expansion became apparent in 2005, when no monks from Famen Temple attended the ground-breaking ceremony for the giant building - which has since made it on the annual list of China's ugliest buildings.
When the park opened in 2009, it quickly became apparent that the massive project was not the goldmine it had promised to be for the government, and investors disappeared. In search for new capital, its operators set up an organisation, which could collect donations from Buddhist believers and bankroll the company.
The foundation collected some 54 million yuan in donations in 2011, Southern Weekly reported. A year later, it even considered listing on the stock exchange.
But the temple's abbot and monks refused to pose as figureheads for the enterprise. Zeng Qin, a monk and head of the Xian's Buddhist Association, told the weekly he was "involuntarily" selected as head of the foundation, and his requests for resignation have been rejected.
The Famen monks have said they were pushed into a contract with the company and last year refused to extend a contract with it, saying that the project had brought them only disrepute. In a quagmire, the local city administration offered to transfer the company's ownership to the monks. They refused, well aware of its debt burden.
With massive debts and dreams unfulfilled, the park is getting by with donations from unknowing tourists. For 100 yuan to thousands of yuan, visitors can have their names carved on merit plates. Some 26,000 people have done so already, Southern Weekly calculated.
In July, Zhao He, a woman from Qinghuangdao in northeastern Hebei province, said she spent some 111,000 yuan during a visit, including 9,999 yuan to cover "costs for chanting and blessing by a Buddhist master".
When she found out that the park had nothing to do with the temple, she alerted police and was promised her money back.
Claude Arpi: Buddha for money

"Fake"...I know..PRC is gonna call this "Deception" and blame it on Sun Tzu..

drkrn

am sorry cant understand it.can you brief it please

sorcerer

Country flag
am sorry cant understand it.can you brief it please
China and Fake... What part of China and Fake cant you understand?

Points to ponder
1)Now, fake monks from Hubei province roam a nearby scenic park that opened in 2009 and that tourists and pilgrims mistaken as part of the temple. The impostors get commission for collecting donations to the Shaanxi Famen Charitable Foundation.
But clueless visitors do not know the foundation is a front for the operating company of the park, Shaanxi Famen Temple Scenic Park Cultural Industrial Group, and is not related to the temple, the weekly reported last week.

2)When the park opened in 2009, it quickly became apparent that the massive project was not the goldmine it had promised to be for the government, and investors disappeared. In search for new capital, its operators set up an organisation, which could collect donations from Buddhist believers and bankroll the company.

3)For 100 yuan to thousands of yuan, visitors can have their names carved on merit plates. Some 26,000 people have done so already, Southern Weekly calculated.
In July, Zhao He, a woman from Qinghuangdao in northeastern Hebei province, said she spent some 111,000 yuan during a visit, including 9,999 yuan to cover "costs for chanting and blessing by a Buddhist master".
When she found out that the park had nothing to do with the temple, she alerted police and was promised her money back.

amoy

pls browse for my relentless attacks on B-ism as an Indian spiritual opium. this report attests to my points

Sent from my 5910 using Tapatalk 2

sorcerer

Country flag
pls browse for my relentless attacks on B-ism as an Indian spiritual opium. this report attests to my points

Sent from my 5910 using Tapatalk 2
Spituality is like an Opium minus the side effects. Its good ....ooozzzaaa....ooooozzzzaaaa
Spirituality shows you the way to freedom, to care, understanding and being selfless.
Its teaches about "Peaceful Co-existance"
:namaste:

amoy

Spituality is like an Opium minus the side effects. Its good ....ooozzzaaa....ooooozzzzaaaa
Spirituality shows you the way to freedom, to care, understanding and being selfless.
Its teaches about "Peaceful Co-existance"
:namaste:
So u equal B-ism a made-in-India product to spirituality? How many Indians now are B-ists? Why did B-ism decline in its origin India?

Anyway thank u posting this re-affirming my conviction that B-ism is incompatible with superior Chinese civilization and a road block towards its renaissance.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles