Big New Chinese Order for Russian Fighter Engines

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
I am 100% sure Russian are lying, there is no new contract for the engines at all, if you think otherwise, could you please provide financial statements, a certified true copy of the contract and evidence of cable transfer? If you can't then I am right. I have pictures showing J-11B, J-11BS, J-15 and J-10B are using WS-10s. You have craps on crappy Russian paper.
Well, you know it all then. And you've pictures! :eek:

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
PLAAF and PLANAF has 380+ Flankers. Among these, only 50+ were newly built J11B which use WS10A. Like the article mentioned, Su27SKs, UBKs, J11As, and SU30s all use AL31F. There are also around 200 J10As which use AL31FNs. And it's been long confirmed that the first batch of J10B which will enter service in early 2012 will still use AL31FN as J10B with WS10B just started testing in late July. Considering the low production capacity of new WS10 (100+ per year), the high intensity of PLAAF flight training (120~200 hours per year), and new WS10 won't fit in old flankers and J10A (950mm diameter of WS10 vs 910mm of AL31F/FN), the new order of AL31 completely makes sense and doesn't mean anything about WS10
I know for a fact the first regiment of J-11B run on AL-31F and I believe the second regiment is the one we keep seeing without engines. A Chinese poster was arguing with me earlier that there were 4 regiments (100 J-11B) all fitted with WS-10A, clearly that is not the case. Every source I can gather says there are only two and that SAC stopped production until they got WS-10A into mass production. For all we know this new order for 150 AL-31F might very well go into further J-11Bs.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
WS10A can't fit in old Flankers' and J10As' fuselage. WS10A has a diameter of 950mm and AL31 has a diameter of 910mm. It would be a stupid costly nightmare to modify all 500+ flankers and J10A just to accommodate a equivalent engine.
950mm is only the diametre of the inlet, that isn't the factor when installing the engine. The diameter of the engine itself is closer to 910mm just like the AL-31F. They switch out AL-31F and WS-10 engines all the time as has been done on an Su-27SK that first tested WS-10 in flight.

nimo_cn

Country flag
Maybe nothing but we are not talking about India here.

Well you said it yourself.

• WS-10 are not yet reliable.
  • China having low production capacity is BS. You & I know it very well. Your production capacity is probably many times higher than anyone.
The inference is WS-10 is yet not trustworthy.

There is nothing to be embarrassed of it. Such abilities are not acquired in short time. But lets put end to chest thumping of WS-10's success.
i never said WS10 is not reliable, I said the reliability of WS10 was not proved yet. The reliability of a engine needs to be proved after it is used, and that is what we are doing, We are installing WS10s in J10Bs, J11s. and that is a success, a success that won't be discounted even if we are still importing Russian engines.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
i never said WS10 is not reliable, I said the reliability of WS10 was not proved yet. The reliability of a engine needs to be proved after it is used, and that is what we are doing, We are installing WS10s in J10Bs, J11s. and that is a success, a success that won't be discounted even if we are still importing Russian engines.
You are only vindicating my stand.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
How? Because I said it is not proved? unproved means unreliable?

How or when would you say WS-10's reliability is now proven?

Even I never said WS10 is unreliable. What you missed is an adverb 'yet'

nrj said:
WS-10 are not yet reliable.
---

We are on same page here only with a difference of surprise over order. You might not be surprised but we are due to impression created by chinese posters that WS10 is THE THING now.

cir

The only thing these Russians are good at is day-dreaming. And wetdreaming from time to time.

Ok, China buys a few Russian engines, for there are hundreds of Russian-made Su-27s and Su-30s and some earlier versions of J-11As which need Russian engines for replacement and spare.

The real reason behind the purchases (not just Russian engines, but some other stuffs) is of course to lessen the extent to which Russia runs huge trade deficts with China year in and year out, even though Russia is selling china al kinds of raw materials, including natural gas and oil.

J-10B 1034, taken yesterday 07.10.2011:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles